Upstairs, Downstairs: A guide to new House office assignments

Rep. Gloria Johnson (D-Knoxville) sits at her desk moved into a hallway in the Cordell Hull Building in Nashville on Jan 28, 2021. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

House Speaker Cameron Sexton (R-Crossville) has issued new office assignments to 37 of the chamber’s 99 members. We’ve pieced together who went where by comparing this year’s directory with the last.

The House occupies three floors in the Cordell Hull Building, with the sixth floor being considered prime real estate because that’s where the speaker’s suite is located.

Rep. Gloria Johnson (D-Knoxville) received media attention this week when it turned out the outspoken lawmaker had been assigned a small converted conference room, while her assistant was placed in a former closet across the hall. Johnson moved her desk out into the hallway in protest.

New lawmakers in italics, former ones in parentheses:

RepresentativePartyPreviousNewLast tennant
Harris, TorreyD420Thompson, D.
Hawk, DavidR406648Vaughan, Kevin
Hazlewood, PatsyR516622Lynn, Susan
Hicks, GaryR640642(Holt, Andy)
Hicks, TimR518(Tillis, Rick)
Hodges, JasonD414508Garrett, Johnny
Holsclaw, John R534652(Coley, Jim)
Johnson, CurtisR636612(Dunn, Bill)
Johnson, GloriaD442427[new office]
Lynn, SusanR622426Halford, Curtis
Mannis, EddieR568Carr, Dale
Marsh, PatR676610(Hill, Matthew)
McKenzie, SamD512(Staples, Rick)
Miller, Larry J.D432580Doggett, Clay
Mitchell, BoD440400Grills, Rusty
Moody, DebraR650680(Hill, Timothy)
Parkinson, AntonioD422419(new office)
Sexton, JerryR672430(Van Huss, Micah)
Stewart, MikeD662422Parkinson, Antonio
Thompson, DwayneD420406Hawk, David
Travis, RonR678534Holsclaw, John
Vaughan, KevinR648519[new office]
Warner, ToddR414Garrett, Johnny
Williams, RyanR560640Hicks, Gary

19 Responses to Upstairs, Downstairs: A guide to new House office assignments

Nice to see conservative stalwart and recipient of a grant from the Stuart I. Anderson Evangelical Conservative Political Contribution Fund Rusty Grills moving up to the sixth floor. After the devastating loses of Van Huss, Holt and the Hill brothers it is good to see new conservatives rushing in to fill the void

Taxpayer #314 says:

Yep, Stuart… it is true that the republican party feeds off those donations, that’s what they are all about; those that have the moneybags rise to the top in Conservative circles. Don’t brag too much as some politicians like to keep that kind of stuff on the down low as sometimes those donations just don’t get reported.

My donations always get reported. I INSIST ON IT! That’s how I attract conservative ladies. Having my donations on an official government website shows (1) I am a man of means, and (2) I am a gentleman of ideological rectitude.

Jonathan Swift says:

Yeah, “ideological rectitude” sounds so much better than “holier than thou.” And I thought Trump is full of himself.

Taxpayer #314 says:

We are so fortunate to have a gentleman of such ideological rectitude be gracious enough to explain things to the helpless masses. What a gentleman!

cindy says:

Moved her desk to the hall because it isn’t big enough??? This sounds like something Nancy Pelosi would do. How juvenile

Quite the study in protests! They’re going to want to include this in Rules for Radicals.

Phillip Lassiter says:

I just home Cameron doesn’t try to do away with the electoral college again. Since Casada prison bound he has lost his partner in that effort

LeeAnn C. says:

Very childish behavior by Representative Johnson. I remember visiting representatives in the old Legislative Plaza building that were literally in broom closets.

Pretty Petty of Cameron

rachel says:

You guys complaining about Gloria should take the tour of her office – and of her assistan’ts, which really and truly is a closet. They couldn’t even fit a desk in it. Then take a tour of a typical office.
    Every Representative was elected by the voters and deserves respect.
    BTW, Gloria has asked to have her office switched with her assistant’s closet. That’s treating people well.

Another piece of good news has come to my attention which I would like to impart to all my fellow conservatives to get their weekend off to a great start. Worthless centrist Republican from our neighbor in North Carolina Richard Burr (Heritage-59%) has announced he will not seek re-election in 2022 and it just so happens that I have a perfect replacement just waiting to take his place, the great Mark Meadows (Heritage-93%) President Trump’s former Chief of Staff. OK, conservatives as we look forward to the nightmare of liberal control of the government ending in 2022 with the Republican Party acquiring a much needed backbone your program should read Jim Jordan (94%) replacing Portman (56%), Mark Meadows (93%) replacing Burr (59%).

Cryan says:

Gym Jordan isn’t running. MAGA Meadows can’t win a general election in North Carolina.

Conservatives please don’t be dismayed at Jim Jordan’s announcement that he will seek re-election to the House. There are a number of fine conservatives in Ohio eyeing the race to succeed Portman. Unfortunately there is a Portman clone eyeing the race as well so right now your 2022 program should be changed to read “somebody other than Rep. Steve Stivers (Heritage-54%).”

Taxpayer #314 says:

The conservative way – telling everyone who to vote for!

I’m a conservative and I don’t know anything about anyone “. . .telling everyone who to vote for.” One of the primary causes of becoming a liberal I have noticed is lack of reading comprehension and simply being burdened with a hyperactive imagination. No, I don’t know of a cure.

Phillip Lassiter says:

Gloria is fortunate to have an office and an assistant to herself. I hear stories of Republicans years ago having to share a closet and an assistant. No tears for crazy Gloria here

Cryan says:

I don’t doubt that was the case when Democrats ran the state legislature. The difference is Democrats don’t wear their religion on their sleeve for political gain. Cameron put the assistant, a 65 year old with cancer, in an unventilated closet because her boss voted against him. What would Jesus do?