The long hello: Crowe officially joins 1st District congressional race

Sen. Rusty Crowe (R-Johnson City), right, confers with colleagues as they await Gov. Bill Lee arrival for his second State of the State address in Nashville on Feb. 3, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

State Sen. Rusty Crowe has officially announced his candidacy for the 1st District Seat being vacated by the retirement of U.S. Rep. Phil Roe, a fellow Johnson City Republican.

Here’s the release from the Crowe campaign:

Jonesborough — State Senator Rusty Crowe (R) picked up his petition to officially join the race to represent Tennessee’s open First Congressional District seat Thursday. U.S. Representative Phil Roe (R) announced in January he will retire rather than seek a seventh term.

Crowe said he is running for Congress “because Tennessee’s on the right track and D.C. needs a good dose of Tennessee.”

“I’ve spent my life serving Tennesseans as a volunteer for the Vietnam War and then as a citizen legislator in the Tennessee Senate,” Crowe said. “Today, Tennessee is thriving because we’ve applied common-sense conservative principles to achieve extraordinary results.”

Crowe noted Tennessee is now the top state for fiscal stability with the lowest debt as a percentage of personal income and leads the nation in business climate, advanced industry jobs, and small business growth.

“It Matters Who Governs,’ and it matters how Republicans govern when they get the chance,” Crowe continued.

“In Tennessee, we’ve done exactly what we campaigned on, but the last time Republicans controlled Congress, they broke their promises to the voters, especially regarding federal spending, Obamacare, and border security and immigration. Sometimes you have to hold your own party to its principles. When a Republican governor tried to impose an unconstitutional, job-killing state income tax on Tennesseans, my decisive opposition was what stopped it dead in its tracks once and for all.”

“The current Speaker of the House and her socialist colleagues want to fundamentally transform our nation into something our Founders never intended and obstruct President Trump’s ‘America First’ agenda,” Crowe said.

“With the House and the Senate so completely polarized, President Trump under relentless partisan attack, and a socialist likely to be leading the other party in the general election, D.C. has never needed a good dose of Tennessee as badly as it does right now,” Crowe concluded.

“That’s why I’m officially running for Congress. It’s about personally serving the people of Northeast Tennessee, supporting our president, and protecting our fundamental constitutional rights.”

Crowe will appear on the August 6, 2020 GOP primary ballot to serve as the Republican nominee for the First Congressional District.

16 Responses to The long hello: Crowe officially joins 1st District congressional race

Beatrice Shaw says:

Rusty Crowe?

The guy who voted for an Article V Constitutional Convention. Don’t vote for this guy.

Not your type Beatrice, he has an American Conservative Union rating of 83% and not your venue, the First District is an R+28 district. Best you stick with that rogues gallery of undesirables who call the Democratic Party home.

I should run, but who has the time.

Don’t get wrong, Rusty Crowe (ACU – 83%) is a great improvement over Phil Roe (Heritage – 70%) but at the age of 72 it’s a bit late to begin a congressional career where seniority is so important. Please sit tight fellow conservatives, we can do better yet.

Leslie Parsley says:

Really??? I seriously doubt it.

Forget useless heritage and acu skewed scoring. Reagan and Lincoln were both Aquarius and I bet most people, even if they wouldn’t admit it, love that 5th Dimension song.

What’s his sign, Stuart? That’s as useful as those mean-nothing scores you keep posting.

and Marle Scores !

Donna Locke says:

I went to Vegas one time, sat down at a zodiac slot machine, played my signs, won a lot of money, got up, and walked out. I studied astrology in Atlanta and can do the math to cast charts; this means nothing except that I knew my personal emphases, aspects, and transits. Just playing for synchronicity. I am not a gambler, however. I got out of the stock market as much as possible many years ago when Clark Howard in Atlanta advised against stocks (I still think about Home Depot, though; I was in Atlanta when they started it). I am not a gambler, but I’ve taken some risks in my life, usually only when I have some inner certainty.

I’ve been reading my old journals from the Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Bush Era and remembering all the damage they did.

If you are entirely out of the market you are in the “cat-bird’s seat” I think is the expression. Now that the market is down 11.5% don’t you think it’s time to nibble a bit? How about with 25% of the cash you don’t need for income?

Donna Locke says:

Ha, ha. I think it’s fine for people who have the knowledge and drive to keep up with it all.

Ah, but Donna I have a wonderful idea. If we see each other at some right-wing function, you can give me your e-mail address so you can subscribe to a free bulletin that will allow you “keep up with it all” without you having to “keep up with it all” at all. You’re a lucky woman Donna!

Betty J. Ziesel says:

Rusty Crowe, just one of many totally controlled by the mafia in NE TN. He’s on numerous company boards, Ballad Health being one which he played a major role in convincing the State to approve a COPA to merge Wellmont and Mountain States health systems into Ballad Health…now the only facilities in NE TN and SW VA. Johnson City now is the only trauma 1 facility for the entire area. Jobs have been lost and facilities closed leaving communities without health care. He supported Jeb Bush for president and Black for governor. In addition he supported common core and expansion of medicaid. He IS NOT a constitutional conservative! Insure you are vetting and receiving honest, factual information. He goes along to get along.

• Pingback: Friday, February 28