The curious case of the Casada calls

Rep. Glen Casada. (Erik Schelzig/Tennessee Journal)

Former House Speaker Glen Casada says that contrary to what The Tennessee Journal has reported, the Franklin Republican is not supporting Rep. Andrew Farmer’s bid for House Majority Leader. He says he’s also not backing the current No. 2 Republican in the House, Rep. William Lamberth of Portland.

“Someone is bold face lying to you,” Casada said in a text message. “I am no in no way helping anyone in the upcoming caucus elections.”

The Journal had been inundated by claims that Casada is agitating behind the scenes on Farmer’s behalf. Exhibit A, the reasoning goes, is his business relationship with Farmer — they are partners in Red Door Title Services in Franklin. Not so, says Farmer, a Sevierville attorney who has other similar relationships with title businesses around the state. Farmer also says Casada told him he wouldn’t be supporting his leadership bid.

And yet the word spreading around the Capitol is that Casada may be looking to exact some revenge on Lamberth and then-Republican Caucus Chairman Cameron Sexton of Crossville) for abandoning him when his speakership collapsed last year. Sexton later won election to Casada’s old job in the chamber.

Casada — who has been speaker, majority leader, and caucus chairman (twice) — has much experience when it comes to Republican leadership fights. He’s not always successful (he lost his first bid for the speaker’s nomination and only lasted a couple months after finally winning the top job), but other ambitious colleagues ignore his machinations at their peril.

So is Casada really staying out of the leadership race? In the end, it will probably come down to what the wily lawmaker sees as presenting the best possible outcome for Glen Casada.

11 Responses to The curious case of the Casada calls

steve cates says:

And why would we believe this guy?

LeeAnn C. says:

Casada = slime! Smart representatives will stay away from him!

Benton Temple says:

Casada is so dirty. You have to assume that Casada is lying to you at all times, because that’s probably the case. Casada cares only about Casada. He doesn’t care about others. He doesn’t care about policy. He cares about Casada.

Amy Green says:

and just maybe the people in the district are going to replace him…. Funny that isn’t in the calculous.

I certainly would think not given Glen’s 88% ACU rating and his well deserved reputation of great constituent service. Glen is a fine conservative and as I have for many years I sent a relatively small donation to his campaign as I have proudly done for many years. No one challenged Glen in the Republican primary because Glen simply represents his constituents so well and will continue to do so for another term.

Of course, Glen’s recent acquisition of designer stubble is, as my liberal friends would put it “troubling,” nevertheless I know Glen very well, and have for a long time, so I’m prepared to overlook his unfortunate grooming choice.

Perry Aubric says:

Just as you overlook his condoning cocaine use, sexual harassment, illegal use of campaign funds, adultery, spying on his colleagues, etc. You know Stuart, that county will elect someone else with as good or better a stupid irrelevant “score” from your help-the-rich-to-hell-with-everyone-else right wing advocacy group. And they could do so with someone with an iota I’d decency.

I was replying to Amy’s thought that the District 63 would elect someone else. In this heavily Republican district there seems to be no appetite for doing so since Glen was not challenged in the Republican primary. Right now he is running for re-election against a throw away Democrat and an Independent. No question conservative voters in the 63rd District should vote for Glen.

Now to review. If Glen broke any law he should be fined as he has been or sent to jail. As to his personal life, I don’t have a lady friend or relative that I seek to fix up with Glen nor am I the type of guy who should ever have a roommate so Glen’s or yours or anybody else’s personal life is of no concern to me. I’m a libertarian conservative so I temperamentally mind my own business. I do know that for his entire political life Glen aimed to be House Speaker and I did my little part to help put him there. In a few months his leadership shortcomings saw it all come crashing down. END OF STORY! He is now a backbencher in the legislature who about 88% of the time says “YAY” when the correct vote is yay and “NO” when the correct vote is no. Not enough Republicans and no Democrats that I know of votes that well. VOTE CASADA!

Phil Lassiter says:

His beard is his Pinocchio nose. It grows daily no matter what he does

• Pingback: Monday, October 5

Misty Pardner says:

If anyone knows what bold face lying is would be Casada. Just ask his wife. Sorry, ex wife.