Tennessee launches $20M program for state employee buyouts

The state Capitol on March 16, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

The state of Tennessee this week offered voluntary buyout offers to 625 employees working in 282 positions. The current budget includes $20 million for the program offering incentives for workers to give up their executive branch jobs.

The Human Resources Department says eligible positions were identified by job classification and that others may be targeted moving forward.

Gov. Bill Lee’s administration initially propped a $50 million pool to fund buyouts for state employees. Finance Commissioner Eley said the program
is roughly on par, when adjusted for inflation, with the $35 million in buyouts then-Gov. Phil Bredesen’s administration offered to government workers during the Great Recession, which he said resulted in about $65 million in recurring savings. But the Lee program was later dialed back to $20 million.

The Tennessean reports certain departments are being targeted reductions: 74 at Environment and Conservation, 64 in Human Services, 51 in Finance and Administration, and 32 in Education.

26 Responses to Tennessee launches $20M program for state employee buyouts

Cryan says:

This never would have happened if Stuart’s preferred candidate had been elected governor.

If we had a reasonable electoral system with runoffs like just about every other southern state I would vote for Beth Harwell because of her experience, intelligence, and style.

– Stuart I. Anderson, 2018

Source

Cryan says:

Good news indeed!!! Now that Mae has dropped out nothing would please me more than if [Beth Harwell] was the instrument to defeat Randy! Boyd.

– Stuart I. Anderson, 2018

Source

Cryan says:

I can’t believe that I will ever vote for a tepid conservative like Diane Black

– Stuart I Anderson, 2018

SOURCE

Cryan says:

[Diane Black] certainly isn’t my first choice but she has enough money to blanket the state with advertisements making herself into whatever she wants to be so I may be forced to vote for her

– Stuart I Anderson, 2018

SOURCE

Eddie White says:

Dear Gov Lee and state legislators, we have a projected 2.8 billion in excess revenue for the fiscal year. What about returning some of that rather significant revenue excess to the taxpayers?

Fix the Roads !

Cannoneer2 says:

No General Assembly positions, I see….

Chris Norris says:

TDEC needs reinforcements, rather than blood-letting. The GOP’s policy to favor business over everything else is destroying our creeks, rivers, farmland, and wildlife habitat.

Absolutely Chris, every living thing in Tennessee is dying! WERE DYING LIKE FLIES! All that stinkin’ individual freedom that’s what’s doing it. Bring on the envirofascism via the Green New Deal quick.

Looks like if you had a “boy child” you wouldn’t want to name him Chris.

Cryan says:

Who’s the partner in this twisted reproductive fantasy? “Attractive” Marsha Blackburn? “Stylish” Beth Harwell?

RINOs Stuart and Beth might be fine with a boy child named Chris.

Yes, MARLE you are correct. I would think that “Chris” is short for Christopher which I wouldn’t do if I was “Christopher” but I’m not a “dirt person/tree hugger” etc. etc. so I have no reason to mutilate my name just to show that I’m a man of the people.

Besides, “Christopher” like “Mohammed” has too much religiosity attached to it for my taste. I was never one to be in favor of ostentatious religiosity. Hard to beat “Stuart” of course, but two people with the same name in the same household is not desirable either. But you are correct, “Chris” is out.

Cryan says:

Stuart, I would have so much more respect for you if I witnessed more honesty like this and less regurgitated spin. Republicans have got to drop this.

I’m pretty sure many of us see through the charade. I mean Trump, a Christian?! 😂

It’s an insult to Christ, if you’re a believer, to corner Him in one political party.

I know you don’t care what I think. I know you’re not religious. But the Republican party should feel bad pretending they are. They aren’t really, and I think it’s backfiring as more educated younger generations see the shit for what it is: hypocrisy. You still have a chance to make younger people Republican. Fake Christianity and Fox News and Charlie Kirk and Candace Owens and Ben Shapiro and all the grifters will do the opposite, though. It’s time to change strategy.

This is a government founded on freedom of religion. It’s the First Amendment. God should be bigger than our D vs. R arguments whether you believe in Him or not.

As you said Stuart…..you can’t buy a sense of humor. But thanks for the verbose and tiresome litany on names.

Cryan says:

If you knew how state government works, you would know most of the “savings” come from eliminating unfilled positions that were created as an accounting trick. It’s how conservatives like Bill Lee can pretend they cut costs in a campaign ad. It’s just a budget reduction. No money was spent, but they can say they “cut the budget”. That’s all some poorly educated people like you need to hear. If you were intelligent or cared, you’d know that.

Bill Lee is an envirofascist RINO either way.

Why don’t you focus on your Beth Harwell crush and quit lying to Eddie, James, and your other recruits about how you enthusiastically supported Dianne Black in 2018?

Wanted you to see this so placed it here although having nothing to do with topic:

Go to the station website. There is a 16:09 audio of the “personal experience with covid” taped in advance, obviously, ahead of hospitalization. Lots of self congratulations on intelligent assessment of risk followed by protocols tried incl ivermectin. At the end of THIS audio all things great!…..

Cryan says:

At one point Phil describes not being able to get a full breath, but he’s still cavalier and smug about it all. He said Vitamin D would cure him. If he’s still hospitalized at this point, he may be intubated.

I saw this from an ICU physician in Alabama:

One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.

A few days later when I call time of death, I hug their family members and I tell them the best way to honor their loved one is to go get vaccinated and encourage everyone they know to do the same.

They cry. And they tell me they didn’t know. They thought it was a hoax. They thought it was political. They thought because they had a certain blood type or a certain skin color they wouldn’t get as sick. They thought it was ‘just the flu’. But they were wrong. And they wish they could go back. But they can’t. So they thank me and they go get the vaccine. And I go back to my office, write their death note, and say a small prayer that this loss will save more lives.

In the audio he said he got a prescription for and took ivermectin and within a day felt wonderful but 2 days later it all turned. He also said that he never gets sick so he thought he wouldn’t be that sick if he got it. AND he said he had done a “lot of research”

Well I too am one of those people who hasn’t had a cold or flu for over a decade BUT that super-immune system can cause a life threatening Over-Immune response called Cytokine Storm. And that cocktail with Dexamethasone ( a Cytokine Storm reversal drug) is what Trump got. I believe he too was super-immune person.

Apparently the risk to the Super Immune was one of those things he failed to pick up on his vast research

Cryan says:

Update:

Phil Valentine is “fighting for his life”, says his brother who is now urging everyone to please get vaccinated.

“He knows he can die… He’s very regretful he wasn’t a more vocal advocate for the vaccination… He knows he was wrong.”

LISTEN

SuperTalk 99.7 WTN is now pro-vaccine. I wonder what their lawyers told them before the sudden switch in programming?

Cannoneer2 says:

There it is! I saw this attitude firsthand when working in environmental science for state government. As long as Williamson County is clean and nice, and making tons of cash, it doesn’t matter how filthy the rest of the state becomes. Thanks for the unpleasant reminder.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Notice the republicans cut the TDEC budget the most. Who needs clean air and water. We all like our Superfund playgrounds for our kids. Yep, it’s Free-dumb with hazardous waste now for all you conservatives like Stuart. Nobody needs to “command and control” any company that is in the process of making another Superfund site for our kids to play in. That conservative free-dumb non-science will get you killed just like the virus gods keep telling us but you just go ahead and cheer on the TDEC manpower
    losses. That Micro-Government Crap you try to sell only goes so far, then it all fails down around you.

Cannoneer2 says:

Hardeman County is busy trying to bring in a potential future Superfund site. Over the objections of plenty of county residents, they spot zoned a nice spot in the middle of farmland for a new charcoal company. TDEC officials were there, ready to help make it happen.

#LeeTheTyrant @TNlegislature
    Members of the Michigan House of Representatives voted 60-48 on Wednesday to end permanently the odious and unconstitutional 76-year-old law that Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer used and abused to inflict untold damage on her citizens during and after the COVID pandemic

Cryan says:

I don’t know if you’ve heard but you might want to check on your friend Phil Valentine. It’s not looking good 😢