State BlueCross stops short of sweeping donation ban

The state Capitol on March 16, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

The national BlueCross BlueShield Association made waves this week by announcing it would suspend political donations to lawmakers who objected to the certification of Democrat Joe Biden’s election as president.

“In light of this week’s violent, shocking assault on the United States Capitol, and the votes of some members of Congress to subvert the results of November’s election by challenging Electoral College results, BCSBA will suspend contributions to those lawmakers who voted to undermine our democracy,” the federation of 36 independent BlueCross companies said in a statement.

Chattanooga-based BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee doesn’t appear to be taking the same blanket approach toward its PAC donations to state candidates.

“An internal committee routinely reviews any potential PAC contributions before they are made. As part of this process, the committee examines the actions and records of elected officials on a campaign-by-campaign and candidate-by-candidate basis to determine whether they’re consistent with our mission, beliefs and goals,” the company said.

“BlueCross, like many other companies, will continue closely scrutinizing PAC contributions. As we always have, we will continue to look particularly close at candidates who take positions that differ from their stated core values, and how their values align with our own,” according to the statement.

The BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee PAC made $200,600 in state contributions during the last election cycle, of which $15,500 went to six Republicans who signed a Dec. 30 letter urging Congress to reject the presidential election results. A total of 18 representatives and five senators had signaled their support for the letter.

53 Responses to State BlueCross stops short of sweeping donation ban

So Marsha and republicans will not get anymore donations? This could be a good thing?

Now if they would stop donating to Democrats for the Antifa Blm riots, perhaps we could get government out of health care completely.

Would that be the Antifa whose photos you linked us to at the Capitol. Were those men in the photos Antifa, James? Or were they Trump supporters?

They pretended to be Trump supporters, but are agent provocateurs. I saw the video where the Police opened the capitol building and motioned all to come in. No doubt real supporters did go into the capitol, but the antifa types were the aggressors.
          All that broke the laws should be held accountable.
          Still the Democrats and liberal businesses support Portland!

They are Trump supporters But you said they were Antifa. Are they Antifa, James? The guy in the horns get up….is he Antifa? A BLM supporter? Really?

GoogleyEyes says:

Racist lie. If you willingly embrace obvious falsehoods, attempt to nullify votes of millions of Black and brown voters, now resorting to violence to impose your own will over that of the voters, then you are participating in a white supremacist movement.

David Collins says:

James. James. James. If you are not on drugs–you need to be.

yes Marle there are pictures of the horned man at a BLM ralley

The FBI has identified him. He is not Antifa. How do you function?

“antifa type” “at a BLM ralley”

Phillip Lassiter says:

Marsha and Hapless changed their mind-which is worse. They are trying the “have your cake and eat it too” approach. All wrong.
      Anyway, my business will be dropping BCBS because they target one party over another.

Kendra Tilley says:

You talk like a good little commie.

Eddie White says:

Yea James, let’s turn Tennessee into Georgia. To the leftest big corporations such as BCBS, when did it become a crime for a US senator or congressman to challenge the vote of an electoral college elector?That right has been historically used by both parties and is granted in the Constitution. It provides a firewall against potential election fraud. How absurd to continue to harass and attempt to intimidate those congressmen who tried to legally and constitutionally challenge the electoral vote by linking them to the riot.

Cryan says:

Good Lord, do you really believe BCBS is a leftist corporation? I never knew they were for Medicare for All.

It’s rational self-interest, something I thought conservatives approved of in business.

What’s costlier to a corporation, pissing off the majority of Americans who are disgusted by the GOP Cop Killers, or pissing off you, Stuart, and the Q-ANON planners of the Mike Pence assassination?

Feeling lonely yet?

• Pingback: Tuesday, January 12

Kendra Tilley says:

Well just another company we should boycott. I will be changing my policy carrier by the end of this week. We MUST walk away from these communist companies. We do have choices and if worse comes to worse I will have ZERO insurance. I am changing from Verizon to Patriot Cell service too. National Pulse is going to put out a list today of companies we need to boycott. The understand only one thing. PROFIT.

Not giving money to some politician makes them communist….How?? I don’t think communism (remember overseas manufacturers were encouraged by the President to stop dealing with China but Start manufacturing in Vietnam which is also communist) has anything to do with corporate donations made by capitalist, publicly traded companies.

Jonathan Swift says:

Kendra, you certainly have the right to choose the cellular service you want. However, did you know that Patriot Mobile uses the T-Mobile network, and therefore some of your money will go to T-Mobile?

You’re absolutely right Kendra! Again where our leftist friends come up with successful tactics we conservatives should emulate them beginning with boycotts of companies who besides producing goods and services find the need to support leftist causes. AT&T and Verizon are two of the worst in terms of nauseating political correctness and leftist support. An invaluable resource that every conservative should use in order to engage in politically smart shopping is 2nd Vote (2ndvote.com) which has a rating system (and y’all know how I just love rating systems) that rates companies according to their political support for conservative vs. leftist causes and suggest, in the case of leftist sympathizers, neutral or conservative alternatives.

One more thing Kendra. If you have the time it would be great if you let the companies you are shunning or supporting because of their political activity know what you are doing. 2nd Vote also makes it convenient for you to do so. You should check it out!

Is your 2d vote site boycotting Goodyear as Der Trump instructed? “Don’t buy Goodyear; lots of other brands at cheaper prices” he tweeted ordering a boycott of an American company b/c they had a dress code at their facilities which did not include wearing MAGA gear. Adn thenn he found out that his beloved limo rides on Goodyear and as does Nascar

Thanks for asking MARLE. In the 2nd Vote scoring Goodyear gets a 2.72 which isn’t really that bad.

Defending politicians based on their heritage score and choosing which products or services you’ll buy based on Yet another score, 2d Vote…..you impose more restrictions on your thoughts and actions than any authoritarian regime your nightmares can conjure up.

Schizophrenics are captives of their own minds and apparently so are you. Can’t think without heritage scores; can make simple purchases without consulting 2d Vote roster….yikes.

You have the sequence backwards. In high school I THOUGHT about the slowly deteriorating city I was living in and the future of this country and concluded that I was a conservative. Knowing I was a conservative and there would be almost a thousand members of Congress and the legislature of any state in which I happened to live I THOUGHT that it would be swell if there was a quick way to keep up with the voting records of these legislators.

Similarly it has come to my attention that the leaders of many of our largest corporations are not like the executives of old, rigorous proponents of free market capitalism while being sincere American patriots. On the contrary, many of today’s corporate executives are globalists, they are believers in the crap that I was taught while pursuing an MBA about corporate social responsibility and a grab bag of leftist nonsense so I THOUGHT wouldn’t it be great if there was a quick way I could see which corporations spent part of their time supporting political movements to which I was opposed vs. those that supported those I favored.

It was only after going through all of these THOUGHT processes and reaching conclusions therefrom that I discovered Heritage Action, the American Conservative Union, and 2nd Vote that operate scoring systems that provide politically aware and curious individuals with just the information that I was seeking. I’m sure you can imagine how joyously thankful I was upon these discoveries and I have been ever since.

Cryan says:

And at which point in your illustrious life, Stuart, did you begin praising Adolf Hitler?

Most of the thought process you tediously recited happened decades and decades and decades ago…..thanks for making my point. You stopped thinking as soon as you found an alternative which you did in heritage and now have in 2d vote.

It is clearly something you’ve been trying to ditch for quite a while. And now you have…….Congrats.

Good Lord MARLE I think you are catching Taxpayer’s disease, you’re making up a story and reciting it as though it was true. Obviously the scores that I recite for information purposes are not an alternative to thinking because they are nothing but numerical information serving as an aid to calibrating where the subject of the scores stand on the political spectrum. That’s all they are but you continue to try to make the scores in and of themselves a much bigger deal than anyone but yourself thinks they are. In addition, since when does the fact that an individual has a long standing world view mean he “stopped thinking”? Or has he “stopped thinking” because he uses widely available political scores that no one but you and politicians that want to hide their record from the folks back home question?

It’s sort of like you bang on and on about the record of a President who is leaving office in a few days. I’m afraid you simply weren’t born with a very good sense of proportion that leads you to make a big deal out of things that simply aren’t.

Disagree with Stuart and you have Trump derangement syndrome (note that HE, not I, inserted himself as the star of every political story told in the last 4 yrs). Now it’s taxpayer syndrome which, if it means being fed up with an unfair code, is accurate. BUT you didn’t use it that way.

YOU, not I have assigned a heritage score to every mention of every Rep member of Congress when their name comes up here. It is a substitute for thinking.

And as for being repetitive ….I know YOU must be making a feeble attempt at a joke. The damage done to the Republican brand and by extension (for those who don’t know better) the Conservative image is incalculable . The loss of all branches of government is on HIM. Given that why wouldn’t I mention him A LOT.

Taxpayer #314 says:

“Mr. Moneybags” for all Conservatives just died this morning. Sheldon Adelson passed away today and his continuous multi- million dollar contributions will be missed. He donated upward of 35 Million to trumps’, campaign and inaugural ball during the last campaign. His $ to republican PAC’s is not traceable but it is substantial. The money for the corrupt politicians is drying up and will have an additional negative impact on the GOP into the future. Stuart will have to crank up his spending.

Taxpayer, I am happy to assure needy CONSERVATIVE Republican candidates in Tennessee and the nation that the Stuart I. Anderson Evangelical Conservative Political Contribution Fund is being funded at this very moment in preparation for the 2022 elections. Just to remind readers of the Fund’s motto: MILLIONS FOR CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES; NOT A PENNY FOR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!

That’s going to be an impossible motto for anyone to put into practice especially You. You’ve been in violation for many years.

WRONG!!! Of course, I am a man of modest means so I unfortunately have never given “MILLIONS FOR CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES” but I have certainly given well into six figures throughout my life. I am happy to report, however, that other than contribute $100 annually to my beloved Williamson Cty Republican Party I have not given a penny to any pocket in the Republican Party for the last ten years. Besides, mottos are an ideal, an organizational goal, they are not to be micro-analyzed so mottos are not for you MARLE.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Claims “Not one penny for the Republican Party.” Then, in the SAME sentence, he brags about “contributing $100 annually to His Beloved REPUBLICAN PARTY.” And he wonders why people think he is so confused with his conservative thinking.

That $100 is about 0.44% of my total political contributions. Again mottos are aspirational and should not be micro-analyzed but I know, you are what you are and you just can’t help it, I understand and it’s OK.

Jonathan Swift says:

Stuart, please enlighten us as to the “conservative candidates” that are not members of the Republican Party. When you can’t, you may realize that your motto is nonsense. Of course, that is consistent with most of your other postings.

Birchall Barnes says:

The domestic terrorists on January 6th who stormed the Capitol are Facists, white supremacists, various hate groups….all Republicans. Anyone who denies that is delusional & has been gaslighted by the Trump regime. As far as BCBS of TN, they must hold their PAC donations to ANY politicians who voted to deny Americans their votes.

Gosh Birchall, how did you manage to get to know the hundreds who stormed the Capitol in order to have such a firm opinion about who the individuals are. “White supremacists,” of course you leftist race baiters always have to throw that in – I do believe that’s a three pointer Birchall, nothing in this entire matter has anything to do with race yet you managed to score by inserting race from far out from the topic at hand – good shot Birchall.

I would say Birchall that you are what this forum doesn’t need, a rabid partisan who just mindlessly throws a bunch of terrible descriptive terms at people just to show they really make you angry. As if this mindlessness wasn’t enough you then advocate sanctions against “ANY politicians” who are exercising the same constitutional rights that liberal Democrats have routinely exercised in most Presidential elections since 2000 just because you disagree with these politician’s politics. Seems like the kind of stuff that real Fascists like to do Birchall.

Cryan says:

COP KILLER

Taxpayer #314 says:

The Confederate flag waving, the KKK tats and some of the chants from the crowd that was breaking and entering our Capitol just gave it away about what type of people were there. Were you not paying attention?

This incident at the Capitol had nothing to do with race, however inconvenient that fact is to the crazed race baiters in the Democratic Party. This country will never be a unified country again until we stop inserting “race” into every conceivable issue in our body politic and move to a meritocracy even though it means that an entire industry of race baiters in the Democratic Party will suddenly have to find another line of work.

Jonathan Swift says:

Speaking of inserting race into every conceivable issue, on the topic of the recent FBI raids on various Tennessee Republicans, you said “there is too much violence in this country partly due to our unique demographic mix…”

More of your do as I say, not as I do philosophy, no doubt.

Cryan says:

Stuart said “dodgy” demographics…

On the same article he defended Adolf Hitler…

On the same article he defended the slavery days of the Confederates of yore…

On the same article he said everyone who brings up his racism is the true racist, somehow…

Poor Stu so badly wants to be a New England WASP and Southern Rebel at the same time.

He doesn’t fit in with the RINOs or the MAGA. Poor proud boy.

Oh how I love when liberals become strict constructionists, but unfortunately strict construction doesn’t come naturally to those on the left so it is done only selectively for strategic purposes. Your comment Jonathan assumes that the comments after Erik’s articles are usually about the articles when in actuality these responses and replies may start off being about the substance of the article but then usually wander off into matters far afield from what is supposed to be the topic of conversation.

The article was indeed about the FBI raids but by the time I spoke about demography the conversation between MARLE and myself wandered off into comparative criminology between the U S and other countries initiated by MARLE as I recall. No matter, my statement about the demography of this country as related to crime was certainly on topic that was being discussed at the time and was a perfectly obvious statement of the fact that the high incarceration rates in this country vis-à-vis others was at least in part due to our demography.

Nothing to see here Jonathan. You are simply displaying the hyper-sensitivity toward race of a western liberal that is part of the race sickness that is so depressing the entire western world and is one of the costs of racial diversity in the hands of the left. But oh that’s right Jonathan, you’re not a liberal, I don’t know why I keep forgetting.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Wandering off into La La land.

Cryan says:

No, he hasn’t wandered off. It’s where he’s always been.

Crime is a demographic problem, though. I don’t feel safe around white Republican terrorists, bombers, assassins and cop killers. Do you?

Cryan then you should move to Portland

Cryan says:

That’s not a bad idea. You can live in TN with no income tax and take a short drive to Kentucky for lower sales taxes. Win-win!

LeeAnn C. says:

Good grief. I’m SO weary of the gauntlet throwing. I doubt these corporations making the throwdown statements significantly contributed to Republicans. Tired of the drama!

Cryan says:

“Tired of the drama,” says the person who watched NBC’s “The Celebrity Apprentice” and determined the reality TV show host should be president of the United States.

RINO Stuart was right. You are so gullible and an embarrassment to the Republican establishment.

Taxpayer #314 says:

One does not need to spend a lot of time getting to KNOW a “racist” or a “white supremist” in order to know that one doesn’t like them or want to be around them; they are dangerous people and hate is not a good thing to carry around with you. Why do you insist on pointing out what commenters “know” or don’t know”?

Oh I don’t know Taxpayer, crazy me thinks its relevant whether the writer knows what the hell he’s talking about or not. I know since you like to create your own reality and then somehow get yourself to ardently believe in the reality that you have created you can’t understand why I am such a stickler for things like that. I guess we can simply mark this down as another irreconcilable difference between us.

Taxpayer #314 says:

And there you have the republican reflection perfected- I would approve raising your score on that slippery scale of yours just for that comment!