Senate Speaker Randy McNally (R-Oak Ridge) presides over the chamber on June 1, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Senate Speaker Randy McNally (R-Oak Ridge) has taken over sponsorship of a resolution seeking to declare the Bible the official book of Tennessee. The move could effectively kill the measure, The Tennessean’s Natalie Allison reports.

The sponsor of a bill or resolution decides when — or whether — it should be discussed in committee.

McNally has long argued that putting the Bible would be trivialized by placing it alongside other symbols like the state amphibian or flower. Then-Gov. Bill Haslam, a Republican, vetoed a similar Bible measure in 2016 on similar grounds. The House ended up voting against an ovrride.

The House last week passed the perennial measure sponsored by Rep. Jerry Sexton (R-Bean Station) on 55-28 vote. This year’s version is a joint resolution, which goes through the entire process in its originating chamber before being shipped over to the other (unlike bills, which are usually debated concurrently and usually have like-minded sponsors at the helm).

“The first senator to sign on to a House Joint Resolution received by the Senate becomes the prime sponsor,” McNally spokesman Adam Kleinheider told the paper.

It just so happened to be the Senate speaker.

34 Responses to Sponsoring it to kill it? Opponent of making Bible official state book takes control of resolution

Birchall Barnes says:

This action to make the Christian Bible the state book is a demonstration of blasphemy, hubris, and the very action that Jesus taught us NOT to do! If you want to BE a Christian, then embody & express “the way” taught as individuals. Don’t politicize the Bible!

Cryan says:

Q-Anon and Trump didn’t work out for the GOP’s play for authoritarianism. Now they’re going back to the old Karl Rove playbook: God is a Republican.

Just look at Bill Lee. The man wears his Christianity on his shirt sleeve. So disingenuous.

Cannoneer2 says:

Adjourn already! Wasting state money!

Isn’t this what the Pharisees did that got them admonished?….making a public spectacle of their religious practices (ie praying in the public streets to “be seen by men”).

And then if any of these legislative advocates is not Living the Bible~ well that is what makes it even worse. Just STOP

Gail McPeak says:

I’m tired of our Legislators taking actions that end up being the daily joke on the nightly comic shows. The rest of the nation is watching . .. ……… Surely there are more pressing issues than these efforts to pander to the right.

But Gail, you don’t seem to understand, there are no “comics” around any more. The leftist totalitarians with their cancel culture have made comedy one of their first victims of Cultural Marxism. What you call “comic shows” are nothing but leftist propaganda outlets. There is no better way to know that our legislature is on the right track than when the Cultural Marxists propagandists on TV criticize something going through the General Assembly.
      __________________________________________
      While I care little about this legislation I would like to remind fellow conservatives that we have three great conservative candidates to take the place of the four worthless/disappointing Republican senators who at long last are retiring in 2022. The one exception is a replacement for Roy “Lamar” Blunt (Heritage-57%) in Missouri. Whether the bible becomes the official book of TN I think we should all pray that solid conservative Jason Smith (Heritage-84%) announces his candidacy soon.

Cryan says:

Deflection.

Just stop. We know you may not be a Christian, but making the Bible the official state book suits your authoritarian politics. There’s no better way to control the masses than through religion.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Yeah, the Republicans are doing stupid stuff and Stuart knows it but he wants to throw out a new high scorer for you to think about instead of this stupid stuff the republicans are actually doing. This is getting old but the repugs have nothing else, beside diversions, to add to any progressive discussions.

So the Leftist have ruined political humor, right? Just he leftist. Comics were funny when the Right was doing comedy but since the Trump era…..well………..just not funny anymore. And TN wanting to make the Bible their state book. Now that’s some serious Pharisee stuff. I’ll grant you that.

Paul says:

And in other news of TN conservatives in action, we have a proposed Republican led bill to name the ladder as the official state tool of TN. So, if they can just push that and this bible symbol thing across the line, we’ll have two more great patriotic “official state things” that will enhance freedom, liberty, and prosperity across the land.

At least as long as they are focused on this kind of legislative claptrap, they are not creating more real problems for the citizenry. Unfortunately, they are also not doing anything about real problems, like the closure of rural hospitals. Oh well.

Rural hospitals like urban and suburban hospitals and every other business in a capitalistic country should stay open based on the demand for their services and goods. If a community feels the need for a hospital that can’t be supported by the demand for its services then the surrounding communities the hospital serves should subsidize it via their tax money. Nothing here for the General Assembly to do here – move along.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Only a really cold hearted conservative or republican would make that statement about rural hospitals, no hearts, no souls, the GOP is really scrapping the dregs at the bottom. Old trump continues to scam his own supporters and the so called true conservatives that shed trump before have no mercy at all on anyone below them.

Stop Governor, Mayors, and Health Departments from Making Laws, and fix the roads.
    Cannoneer2 – Adourn.
    amen

LeeAnn C. says:

Perhaps Senator McNally has had a change of heart. There was nothing that prevented any other Senator from sponsoring. The resolution will proceed through the committee process and I seriously doubt that Senator McNally will do anything to stand in its way. If the resolution had no Senate sponsor, it would die. As to those that have issues with the state book designation, I wonder how many of the other state symbols dictate anything in their daily life? While I have irises in my yard, I didn’t choose them to represent the state nor do I have the designated wildflowers. There is no official state book and there’s no reason that a legislator can’t suggest whatever he/she believes is a good selection. The process will take care of itself.

Cryan says:

McNally choosing to sponsor it did, in fact, prevent every other senator from sponsoring it. Take a civics course.

Did Q tell you that he had a change of heart? Bless yours.

LeeAnn C says:

It was a speculation of potential motive. My speculation has at least as much merit as stating his motive is to kill it. I offer an opinion, just as the author of the article. And no, Senator McNally sponsorship does not preclude other senators from sponsoring. You only have to have one to advance the resolution, but it needn’t have more than one. I have no idea the identity of “Q”.

David Collins says:

Stuart, Once again your reasoning process leaves much to be desired. Your reasoning is that if a hospital does not have enough “business” in a given community, then it should close. Okay, so following that reasoning, if a community has not had a fire or only has one once in a blue moon, then the taxpayers should not pay to support a fire department. Same with ambulances, huh? Not enough 911 calls, then why foot the bill for an ambulance service. Say, this could save a lot of money. Low to next to nothing crime rate, hell, then you don’t need a police department or a sheriffs office. All this reminds me of the guy who does not thinking about patching the roof until it’s raining outside. Just saying.

David, I can’t understand why you would want to read only a fraction of a reply instead of the entire reply. Paul complained about the General Assembly not doing something about the closure of rural hospitals. I replied that hospitals should operate wherever their was sufficient demand for their services. I THEN ADDED a sentence “If a community feels the need for a hospital that can’t be supported by the demand for its services then the surrounding communities the hospital serves should subsidize it via tax money.” You know, like the police, fire dept. and ambulances. That is the “reasoning process” of an enthusiast for free market capitalism. Quite reasonable I say.

Jonathan Swift says:

Stuart, when have you considered your utterances anything but reasonable?

I can answer that Jonathan. There are times I am in the company of liberal soreheads who get very upset when people disagree with them, especially if they disagree in a particularly outspoken way. I have to admit, if I’m in the mood in that company I turn the right-wing rhetoric up just a little bit beyond reasonable just to aggravate particularly authoritarian liberals to make up for the fact that all my life liberals have aggravated me.

I only do that to people I really know well. I never do it on this forum because my goal is to do whatever I can to make conservatives more effective and to convert centrist to becoming conservatives, or at least more conservative. Naturally, in order to accomplish that I want to sound like the reasonable person that I know myself to be.

Charles says:

Q is anonymous.

Donna Locke says:

By Jove, the Tennessee legislators are in office to represent mythology and foreign nationals, and don’t you forget it.

Susan E Gingrich says:

I wish a real conservative would run against McNally. As my senator & as Lt. Gov, he is a big disappointment, and just another politician who doesn’t really listen to his constituents.

He does have a lifetime rating from the American Conservative Union of 86% which is conservative enough, but not super great on the ACU scale. I just wanted you to know that Susan as a vital piece of information before you make your final evaluation of McNally.

Cryan says:

No, I’m sure the Trump organization can find a true Q candidate in that district. Let Susan “Patriots Reborn” Gingrich find a more suitable Patriot for that Republican primary.

Anyway, the ACU is part of the Deep State if they give MCNALLY an 86. Are you part of the deep state too, Stuart?

#RepublicanCivilWar

Taxpayer #314 says:

Stuart is “deep” but it is hard to tell what “state” he is in at any given moment – he does seem to fire off some ridiculously large score numbers at various times. It doesn’t matter who you may be talking about at the moment, he just butts in with some wild score on some nobody from another state. I guess he thinks he sounds informed.

Taxpayer you don’t seem to understand what is going on that’s why your mystified by my behavior. Other than the few districts in our liberal ghettos, the Democrats don’t win in Tennessee. In 2022 there is little question that Lee will be nominated once again but whoever is nominated by the Republicans will certainly win easily. Democrats in Tennessee simply can’t win statewide. In addition, there is little question that Republicans will maintain their super majority in both houses of the General Assembly as well.

The only thing a Tennessee conservative like myself has to be concerned about in Tennessee is that the most conservative Republican possible is nominated for each office. After that thanks to the fact that liberal Democrats are such an anathema to a healthy majority of Tennesseans, conservatives in this state have the luxury of being able to engage in evangelical outreach to help conservative Republicans in other states in congressional races. After all, a vote from a Mo Brooks, for example, in the U.S. Senate is as important to Tennesseans as a vote from Marsha or Hagerty. The news bulletins I give conservatives are simply intended to assist them with that evangelical outreach. Besides, it sure beats banging on about the pros and cons of the bible being made the official book of Tennessee.

steve cates says:

PLEASE ! Make this stop! The sooner they go home, the safer our state will be!