Speaker Sexton strips Griffey of committee assignments

Rep. Bruce Griffey (R-Paris) attends a meeting at the legislative office building in Nashville on Dec. 20, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

House Speaker Cameron Sexton (R-Crossville) has stripped Rep. Bruce Griffey (R-Paris) of his committee assignments. The move comes after Griffey’s unsuccessful attempt earlier this week to pull an e-verify bill that had earlier been defeated in a subcommittee straight to floor.

Griffey had engaged in a testy exchange with Sexton and House parliamentarian Daniel Hicks on Monday about whether he should be allowed to deliver remarks in favor of his bill while making the motion on the floor. After cutting the lawmaker off, Sexton determined Griffey’s motion didn’t have a second and declared it defeated.

Griffey, who is considering a bid for a judgeship next year, was removed as a member of the Civil Justice, Criminal Justice, and Education Instruction committees.

UPDATE: A statement from Sexton:

There are certain expectations that must be met by members of the Tennessee House of Representatives. These include maintaining decorum and professionalism, as well as respect for others, and perhaps most importantly — respect for our longstanding committee process. If any or all of these expectations become an issue, appropriate actions will be taken — including removing a member from his or her committee assignments.”

47 Responses to Speaker Sexton strips Griffey of committee assignments

Jason Wallflower says:

Way to go Mr. Speaker!

Griffey is a RINO clown.

When you don’t do things correctly and try to go around the legislative process, you should be handled like how Speaker Sexton has just done to Griffey.

Youare Theclown says:

Griffey is a “RINO”? This is the GOP. He has taken every single page from the Reagan/Trump playbook. You pretend to be surprised when they bypass procedure and over exert their political authority. You made your bed with these goons and now you have to lie in it.

Donna Locke says:

I couldn’t disagree more.

Donna Locke says:

Am also wondering why there are no quotes from Griffey and Stevens here.

In any event, as Griffey as learned, if you challenge immigration policy, not law, you will be heaped with all kinds of abuse, even from your so-called allies. What Griffey said in justifying what he was trying to say made sense to me.

Concerned Citezen says:

I agree with you, he has such an obsession with trying to make animal neglect equal to voluntary manslaughter and vehicular homicide. and now i know why if he was seeking a Judges seat. wow

Bruce Griffey (ACU-85%) is a conservative who understands that there are just under 50 million Central Americans the vast majority of whom would see a dramatic increase in their standard of living if they could just come to the U.S. and sign up for our welfare system while the demented Big Guy is in office. He further believes that the Republican Party should oppose settling millions of them in the U.S. not only during election time, but during legislating time too. Obviously he is out of step with the political arm of the Chamber, NAM, Round Table and now the NFIB aka The Republican Party.
    _______________________________
    Some time ago I warned you that even though Kristi Noam (Heritage-58%) looks and sounds real good, she was a centrist who really isn’t worth a damn. She just vetoed a Normal Girl Athlete Protection Bill. Put a fork in her for 2024, SHE’S DONE I’m happy to say.

Paul says:

Kristi Noem appears to have made that age old mistake of underestimating just how intolerant one has to be to serve as a modern (and I use that term loosely) Republican. That particular bar can never be low enough and we’ve spent the last four years living it with Donald Trump (yes, I know he’s an “inexperienced” politician, probably has a bad “rating” as a result, but the mythological base-that-all-must-pander-too loves him). And the smaller the group being treated as a punching bag and/or the threat, the greater the conservative rending of garments and gnashing of teeth. She’s now on the “canceled” list for sure it appears, too bad for her as it was looking so promising there — bring out the conservative fainting couches as another canceled giant falls. Oh wait, this canceling practice is an antifa liberal thing, or so I hear from the high ACU ratings crowd, not something that conservatives engage in….apologies all around, back to the regular patriotic programming that is keeping us all safe from the monsters under the bed or maybe in the bedroom or whatever.

A bit muddled Paul, but I can understand that given, as I said, “. . .she looks and sounds real good. . . .” if it only wasn’t for the fact that Kristi proved to be a miserable tall grass dwelling centrist in Congress and “the heart don’t forget something like that” now that she is a governor.

Now, in order of appearance;

1. “Tolerance” is trying to ignore some guy dressed and made up as a woman. When the mentally disturbed (and I believe these individuals are still considered such, but probably not much longer as the psychiatric/psychology professions cave into the demands of the left as soon as the temperature is turned up) demand to be allowed to participate in activities and/or to intrude in spaces purposely reserved for women because of the differences in average strength, size of men and women, and the desire for safety/privacy by women that’s not asking for “tolerance” that’s demanding an unreasonable and unfair overturning of norms.

2. I am happy to report that I see no “. . .rending of garments and gnashing of teeth. . . .” among conservatives regarding demands by members of the grievance industry. Indeed, the oil industry produces oil, car industry cars, the grievance industry produces grievances and demands related thereto. We conservatives are simply scouring the Republican Party for officeholders/candidates who can say “NO!” Two letter word, easy.

3. “Canceling” is the act of DEPRIVING someone of his livelihood, forum to speak or write, personal tranquility. Now Paul, we both know that conservatives have not and will not do that to Kristi. What we simply intend to do is NEVER vote for ANYONE like Kristi Noem in Republican primaries, you know, like we’re supposed to do in a democracy regarding someone who doesn’t represent our world view with enough zeal and conviction.

I understand, you are a “moderate” Paul, the kind of person that has made the Republican Party such an uninspiring grey blah that it is today. I have a vision of it being so much more and it’s getting there, rightward, ever rightward with each succeeding election.

Paul says:

Nice try Stuart. You say “toe-may-toe” and I say “toe-mah-toe”. You’re pretty muddled there yourself. The Republicans are the grievance party and there’s plenty of examples out there, which you can easily find…..the whole attack on Congress in January was just one bit grievance event, but there’s zillions of examples every day. Fox News is one big grievance machine as is OANN and so on. “Poor us, we’re being canceled by these horrible unpatriotic people, why can’t it be like it used to be” is the mantra. I’d say “never voting for anyone like X” is pretty much “depriving them”, but in your lingo, it’s “cleansing” more or less, so have it as you wish.

As far as overturning norms, well, hate to tell you, but there’s a lot of overturning in the future, so better get over it. Why not try expanding your party instead of shrinking it by these constant purges? As you say “the goal is to put folks we don’t like in a box so they can’t vote in our group” as a gerrymandering goal…..I guess that’s a plan, but it’s not a plan that is sustainable for the long term although it’s a sugar high now.

Republicans are now purging, censuring, and voting against folks IN THEIR OWN PARTY. Seems like rending of garments and gnashing of teeth to me, but again, have it your way….it’s just a polite no it appears. You’re on the “last person out, turn off the lights” plan.

Carry on then….

Taxpayer #314 says:

Well said! Conservative republicans just don’t understand how they are constantly downgrading the GOP by all their unethical and illegal dirty tricks and then they lie about it. There is no future in the GOP because they have no real plans to lead or expand. Their program consists entirely about me, me ME!

We’ll there’s another feather in your cap Paul. Democratic zealot Taxpayer seems to approve of your brand of Republicanism rather than mine. You’ve got me there!

——————————————————————————————————————

Since a line allows us to go off script I was wondering why Fox News did not show the clips of Biden’s dementia today. I didn’t watch the press conference but I counted on Fox (who ran non stop back to back sometimes as many as 12 times in a row of the Air Force one fall) to show me the clips of Biden’s dementia-evident performance. Maybe they’re saving that for the Tucker Carlson show. Bet it won’t match the “ingesting bleach like a sort of cleansing” bit.

As you know MARLE, I dare not comment before Tucker tells me what to think and the appropriate party line. I invite everyone to tune in about 45 minutes (FOX News, 7 PM).

I did see his show and I saw no evidence of dementia. Lot’s of examples of bad policy. But no clips of dementia. You predicted dementia-laden presidential debates and there were none. Then the much anticipated dementia-evidenced press conference. What clips were there that I missed?

Biden’s policies are straight up awful but most of them could have been constrained had SOMEONE not gone on a 3 month Grievance tirade compromising the GA candidates who had both WON in Nov but lost by the run off.

Fault Biden for his policies especially the ones that totally Defy his campaign promises. That is all I did where Trump was concerned.

As far as I’m concerned there is no doubt the man is suffering from dementia. I am fortunate enough to come from a family where most live well past their 80th birthday and some were afflicted much like the Big Guy. Dementia is not a blue/pink litmus test kind of thing but rather a gradual process of mental enfeeblement. I don’t think that the Big Guy is ready for a skilled nursing facility, but obviously during his campaign and now in the presidency he is operating at a fraction of a daily schedule that was/is expected of a presidential candidate/President. His handlers desperately avoid his having to answer questions without his little note cards preceded by days of preparation, he loses his train of thought mid-answers and let us never forget, the few times he actually faces the media they are most gentle and respectful insofar as they are invested in the success of his administration.

Neither of us know the man or are professionally qualified to pass judgement as to his mental state even if we did. It really doesn’t make any difference. Trump managed to lose the election, I believe, in his unbelievably obnoxious performance in that first debate. Now we are stuck. Put me down, therefore, as “unenthused” about Trump 2024.

If neither of US knows the man, and we don’t, then it must be nothing more than BDS that makes you keep this up. I know that Trump lied. I know his policies defied his campaign promises. I saw the nutty Grievance-laden things he said.

I didn’t have Trump derangement but you certainly have Biden Derangement Syndrome since you said you don’t have any way to know his condition. Concentrating on his policies, as I did Trump or his campaign lies should give you ink enough.

Well, that answers your question. They were saving the deconstruction of the Big Guy’s press conference until prime time beginning with Tucker, then Hannity and Ingram.

For anyone that missed Tucker’s program at 7 PM, it is repeated on FOX News at 11 PM. Like all of Tucker’s programs since the election, as an American it’s depressing as hell, but it is what it is and while I don’t have to listen to hour upon hour of this stuff, an hour of Tucker pretty well encapsulates what’s going on.

Good….you can tell me the clips you saw on Tucker that indicated he has dementia. I saw the clips that show me he can’t negotiate stairs. WHAT clips from the press conference show the dementia you talk about Constantly? After a while of predicting poor performance that doesn’t come don’t you see how Biden Derangement is affecting the Far Right. Biden and his POLICIES, unfettered b/c of the Grievance-driven loss in GA, is going to sink the Dems in the mid terms unless the Republicans keeps this up and start to look like Trump did in that 3 month period that turned a Nov win into a Run Off loss.

Donna Locke says:

I saw them on Ingraham’s show. I don’t watch much TV and just saw snatches of what my husband was watching. Having cared for a parent who had dementia, I recognized what I saw. RIP, Mama.

Cryan says:

And that is exactly what will happen. Every Republican candidate is publicly kissing Ronald Trump’s ring.

Trump will have massive electoral victories next year — in the primaries. Then Democrats will increase their majorities.

Cryan says:

Dear Donna,

Laura Ingraham lost a lawsuit because she made up a bunch of lies and ran multiple defaming segments accusing the DNC of murder. She used doctored or “fake” news and videos in her reporting.

But yeah, let’s trust her on this. It’s not like she ever edited videos before…

Sorry MARLE, I have no interest in joining you in a micro-analysis of various clips from the Big Guy’s performances in order to justify my opinion that he is demented. You think he’s just an average inarticulate Joe, I think he is demented. He’s our President, we’re stuck. No reason for a 58 reply/counter-reply exchange to sort it out. I have to put up with what I regard as your TDS, you will simply have to put up with the fact that I think we currently have a demented President.

Thanks for that clarification. You have nothing to offer by way of backing up what you say so…….let’s all move on. And as for the number of rebuttals, You have the most of anyone on here.

Biden is clearly in Decline. Does he have dementia? I don’t know. BUT how big a loser do you have to be to Lose the presidency to this guy???? The first president in 90 years to lose the House the Senate and the Presidency and to lose the top job to a man in clear decline.

Eddie White says:

I am assuming this was a transgender bill she vetoed. If so, she deserves to be done.

Right you are Eddie. I just avoid using any words that the left want everyone to use e.g. it’s “Cultural Marxism” never “woke.” BTW Kristi also worked against passage of the Childhood Anti-sexual Mutilation Act. Apparently Kristi is hoping to capture a substantial portion of the sexual eccentric vote (and bucks from big business) both in South Dakota and nationally. We’ll soon see where that gets her in Republican primaries.

Phillip Lassiter says:

Sexton is a true Chamber of Commerce RINO. Anyone that works against e verify is selling us all out. People also forget Sexton carried an initiative to do away with the Electoral College Just more inconvenient facts.

Sexton is simply reminding legislators that there are “venial sins” and there are “mortal sins.” Calling everyone in Tennessee a “racist” (London Lamar), embezzlement (Katrina Robinson) being a legislative mole (Rick Tillis) did not result in the perps losing their committee assignments because they only committed venial sins. Pestering leadership to call a vote on E-Verify so as to expose countless of Republican House members to being outed as to what Chamber of Commerce/NFIB shills they really are, now that’s a MORTAL SIN.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Again with useless and baseless diversions and comparisons. Always the ones with the high scores that finish looking good.

Jason Wallflower says:

Wrong. Sexton is pretty awesome and a big conservative improvement over Harwell.

My reading is not that Sexton/Lee disagrees, its that this bozo Griffey is not following the procedure of the House and is way out of line. You may not like it, but there’s a way to do things. Griffey does not care about the rules, procedures, etc.

Griffey is just another RINO politician that doesn’t think he has to play be the rules.

I’m with you Jason. Sexton has an ACU score of 89%. That’s conservative enough to me. He’s simply doing what he has to do to enforce party discipline given the practical political considerations and the center of gravity in that miserable Republican Party. It’s that center of gravity that must be moved to the right.

LeeAnn C says:

Exactly right! Our country and state benefit by following laws and rules. Speaker Sexton maintains a deep respect for the committee process. Representative Griffen tried to sidestep process rather than use his persuasive skills to gain support for his bill. He’s reacting very childishly and making unfounded accusations. Not a good way to earn support for the items he would like to bring forward for consideration. Speaker Sexton will be there long after Representative Griffen gathers up his marbles and goes home!

Phillip Lassiter says:

Apparently he didn’t break rules. He just used a process a dick tater didn’t like

Brad Lytle says:

Representative Bruce Griffey may be the only true Conservative in the General Assembly. He’s fighting for us against the Tennessee Swamp. This morning, as punishment for not toeing the line, Speaker Sexton stripped Bruce Griffey of all committee assignments. This is Outrageous. The Washington Swamp got rid of President Trump, just as the Tennessee Swamp is trying to get rid of Representative Griffey.
    ARE YOU WILLING TO FIGHT THE SWAMP?!?!

Every week money is flowing into the Stuart I. Anderson Evangelical Conservative Political Contribution Fund to do just that Brad as I prepare for the 2022 elections. I can only hope that my fellow conservatives have their own political contribution funds and are doing likewise.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Trump helped your cause so much by siphoning off all those Millions to his PAC that is used exclusively to keep up his family Highlife. No telling what the other RINOS do with the Millions they raise but none of it ever seems to get anywhere that really matter to the voters.

Jason Wallflower says:

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get by Brad. Griffey is a RINO.

Donna Locke says:

How about respect for the Tennesseans who elected you based on your false campaign rhetoric?

Thank you for trying, Bruce Griffey.

Cameron Sexton is the equivalent of a pod person.

Donna Locke says:

I don’t think Bruce broke any rules in this.

Jason Wallflower says:

Bruce absolutely went around procedure and house rules on this. You may not like it, but it is fact. When you don’t do things correctly, you should be punished like RINO Bruce Griffey.

LeeAnn C says:

Apparently, he did. Speaker Sexton values process and is a person of sound character. The unfounded accusations by Representative Griffen will not garner support for his items of concern. It’s a shame too because he brings up valid points about the Governor’s criminal reform measures. The state’s district attorneys and attorney generals do as well. I hate for him to lose effectiveness by attempting an inappropriate tactic on the house floor.

Donna Locke says:

Thank you to state Sen. John Stevens as well.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Another dirty trick from another dirty republican – this is what they do! Politics to the GOp is all about revenge.

Deborah Deaver says:

Griffey released the following statement about his removal from the committees:

“Cameron Sexton has not had any communications with me about the removal or the reasons behind it.

I can only surmise that it is punishment for me bringing a Rule 53 Motion so all members of the House could vote on whether they want to expand the use of E-Verify in Tennessee in order to protect Tennesseans from being stripped of jobs in favor of illegals and to keep the wages of working Tennessee citizens from being suppressed by the illegal labor, particularly with the border crisis.

It could also be because I have voiced opposition to the Governor’s ‘soft on crime’ legislation and moved last night in the Criminal Justice Committee to send it to Summer Study.

It could also be punishment for me disclosing to the public what is happening in committee hearings on bills. They don’t want transparency in government, but rather want to hide behind voice votes with no accountable record so voters don’t truly know what happens.

The clear message being sent is that if you don’t ‘go along to get along,’ then you will undoubtedly be punished.

Cameron Sexton clearly does not want legislators at the Capitol who think independently and are unwilling to be puppets to a larger puppet master.

God forbid a legislator actually try to be a real voice for his constituents and actually try to do what he campaigned to do. If Tennesseans knew what really happens at the Capitol, they would be horrified.

I submit that what is happening is childish antics that I thought only kids engaged in on an elementary school playground. Ironically, when I came to work on Tuesday morning after my Rule 53 Motion Monday night, my access card no longer worked.

I don’t think this is the ‘leadership’ Tennessee citizens deserve. Sexton mistakenly assumes that he is attacking me, but in reality, he is attacking the Republican Party, all Tennesseans and the very form of our government.

I don’t think the people of Tennessee want to live under a dictatorship. It is a destruction of what is supposed to be a representative former of government and a complete violation of First Amendment speech rights – not just mine, but of the thousands of people who elected me to be their voice.

It is no secret that I have been a long-time Trump supporter and remain a Trump supporter. What is happening to me is no different than what happened to Trump when he went up against the Establishment wing of the Republican Party.”

Exactly as I said, the worst thing you can do to centrist/tepid conservative Republicans is make them take recorded votes to publicize the fact that “conservative” this and “conservative” is just talk for the rubes at election time. Griffey attempted to out their comfy “conservative” at election time/Chamber-NFIB shill during legislating time. Now he must be punished.

What we need are more conservative zealots in the General Assembly. Debbie, did you know Williamson County is getting another seat in the House after redistricting?

Taxpayer #314 says:

What we clearly DO NOT NEED in the legislature now or ever is ANY ZEALOTS at all, on either side. You must be nuts to think like that. This conservative thinking is just scary.