Sethi breaks cover, endorses Hagerty

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi speaks at a campaign event in Clarksville on Feb. 4, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Forty-nine days from his disappointing showing in the Republican U.S. Senate primary, Vanderbilt surgeon Manny Sethi is breaking his silence and endorsing former Ambassador Bill Hagerty.

Sethi was a no-show at the state Republican Party’s traditional “unity rally” following the bitter primary campaign. Some of the ill will appears to have faded with time.

“The odds we faced were very difficult, but we stretched the campaign to 12 rounds, went toe to toe with a well-funded opponent, and won the hearts of 250,000 Tennesseans all across the state who placed their trust in me,” Sethi said in an email blast to supporters. “We had a grassroots team second to none, great senior staff leadership, and we kept the campaign clean and focused on the issues.”

Here’s the full email from Sethi:

My friends,

First of all, from the bottom of my heart I want to thank you for standing with me in the Republican primary for U.S. Senate. It was indeed an honor to run for public office, but most importantly, to meet folks from all walks of life who love this country and will continue to fight for the freedoms we value. Since August, I’ve been spending a lot of time with my family and have been reminded that there is nothing more important in life than faith and family. Of course, my children miss rolling on the Big Orange RV, but they are certainly happy to have their dad back home.

Elections are tough and not for the weak, and while we came up short,  I am so proud of what we accomplished together. The odds we faced were very difficult, but we stretched the campaign to 12 rounds, went toe to toe with a well-funded opponent, and won the hearts of 250,000 Tennesseans all across the state who placed their trust in me. We had a grassroots team second to none, great senior staff leadership, and we kept the campaign clean and focused on the issues. As my daddy would say, “Not bad, not bad at all.”

Our conservative cause remains just as true today, as it did over a year ago when I decided to run for the Senate. The one amazing thing that stands crystal clear after all the television ads and rallies, the child of two immigrants from India, who grew up in rural Tennessee and ran for the United States Senate on the Republican ballot, was able to write a chapter in the book called the American story. We should never lose sight of reaching for the top and capturing our dreams. In the weeks ahead, regardless of what the media and the Democrats try to portray about our country, just remember we are Americans — we make no apologies on who we are and what we stand for because we are the greatest country in the world.

Our way of life is literally on the ballot in November, and now more than ever, it is critical that we stand behind and strongly support our Republican candidates. We must re-elect President Donald Trump, and we must elect Ambassador Bill Hagerty, who has served our state and country well, for the U.S. Senate. Our future is in our own hands, I know you will do your part. For me, this wasn’t my place in time to be in public office, but my resolve is not shaken, and my spirit is not broken, so let’s work together to ensure victory for all Republicans on November 3rd. Our future depends on it.

God Bless,

Dr. Manny

42 Responses to Sethi breaks cover, endorses Hagerty

Beth Dunkerson says:

Who writes this 💩. How about we talk about all the events Hagerty was a no show at?

OK, GREAT!!! Now Manny, if you still want to mess with politics via a conservative persona here’s what you do. Beginning in 2022 you should launch a serious program of political donations to ONLY conservative candidates. I will bee happy to serve as an advisor to you to that end. Williamson County will be getting another House seat in the General Assembly and District 65 needs much more conservative representation than it’s currently receiving. That’s two possibilities that you can consider. We need more conservatives with the financial wherewithal for a political career. Best of luck!

He lost a primary; he didn’t loose his mind…..go to you for advice on contributions based on criteria you’ve put forward here including Heritage scores and facial hair grooming?!?

Cute the way you use “and” to suggest an equivalence between “. . .Heritage scores and facial hair grooming” when, as you know, I only use aesthetic considerations such as facial hair when there are little or no ideological differences between the candidates. I assure you, Dr. Sethi, and all my many followers in On The Hill Land that ideology as numerically indicated by such venerable institutions as the Heritage Foundation will be tantamount as the criterion which I use to choose candidates that I will support.

Beatrice Shaw says:

You just proved you have to have $$$ to be in politics!! That is NOT the way it should be.

Yeah, what we need in this country is a fine 10 cent cigar and word-of-mouth campaigns. . .wait, I forgot, I’m speaking to left-wing Beatrice. . .of course, what we need in this country is GOVERNMENT FINANCED CAMPAIGNS! Right Beatrice?

Phil Lassiter says:

Exactly!! Good point. All monies even and you use it best way you can (legally to you Republicans). Public can make a good decision then. Definitely public financing. Did not know you were interested in such an endeavor. I have hope for you, Sir.

Helen says:

you lost,because alot of your statement didn’t add up….Bill has not changed…

Gail McPeak says:

Don’t mess with Stuart! He is the oracle for all things conservative and those tasty, tell all scores . . .

Beatrice Shaw says:

Please, Sethi, CONTINUE supporting ActBlue!! They are clobbering some of the Republican US Senate candidates and can use your continued support!!

Taxpayer #314 says:

Can anyone tell me what the Heritage Score is for Mr. Trump?

They don’t give one for the president. And since he has never held any other office he has none. Good thing for Heritage b/c a bad rating would get them tweeted out of business. Just a Tucker Carlson bad-mouthing has caused the ever-enamoured Stuart dis-inherit them.

Once again, cute but not quite. The gravely disappointing behavior of Kay James, Pres. of Heritage as brought to my attention by my hero Tucker Carlson (FOX News – 7 PM) has caused me to reconsider my estate planning to be precise.

“As a matter of fact he’s so much my idol that I have every intention at this point of changing my will because of the transgression Tucker brought to my attention”

But not cutting them Totally out….just modifying it, I guess. There are transgressions and then Real Transgressions with a capital T

Good of you to ask. Heritage, Club for Growth, American Conservative Union, etc. base their scores on what they regard as the key votes cast by legislators in the various legislative bodies. They therefore don’t, as far as I know, rate executives like governors or the President.

Trump is not a small government federalist kind of guy so you will be happy to know that I wouldn’t imagine he would get a very high score if he was rated. On the contrary, Ted Cruz who I ardently supported for President in 2016 has a Heritage score of 91% and Josh Hawley R-MO who is my morning line favorite for 2024 has a 92%.

And yet Cruz (91%) has rubber stamped virtually all Trump trade, tax, immigration, and Fed jawboning since he graduated from obedience school very early in the Trump administration. He has barely pulled at his leash in all this time.

He’s BOTH a team player AND a senator with a 91% Heritage rating. THAT MARLE is a man who is truly skilled at his craft!

Eddie White says:

Good question, but as we have been informed, he has no score. Be assured that Trump has proven to be one of the strongest conservative presidents of our time. Not only has he cut taxes and regulations that has spurred the greatest economy in history, and rebuilt the military, he has gone where no conservative has dared to go. He actually moved the US embassy to Jerusalem and actually showed up at the annual March of Life. Even more importantly, he has connected with the blue collar workers of America and moved the Republican Party beyond Wall St and Main St and identified with the workers across the industrial north. Ted Cruz is a good conservative who would have lost to Hillary Clinton. Cruz would have never won Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Don’t let the constant Trump whining fool you. Most conservatives support Trump. However, with a united Democratic Party, and the bailing out of some Republicans, Trump will have a hard time winning re-election.

Taxpayer #314 says:

That says a lot. I guess the nuttier those republicans are and the more outlandish their beliefs, the higher the score! Do they get 5 bonus points for getting away with something that is just unethical and perhaps 10 bonus points for successfully performing illegal acts? How do they score Tax Fraud? We could continue down the list of crimes that most Trump administration officials have committed but I guess those scores would be off the charts. Is that why trump doesn’t have a score? Ole Ted sure has been racking up the bonus points recently. What a crew.

No, no, no Taxpayer you don’t seem to understand. Heritage, the Club, ACU do ideology not clean government. You seem to be obsessed with Wrong Doing on the Right (“WDotR”). By all means, if you suspect WDotR I suggest you dial 911, call the FBI or your local DA or any other law enforcement agency. In order to make conversation coherent, however, please don’t conflate ideology with wrong doing the latter being an ideologically ecumenical undertaking.

LeeAnn C. says:

So Sour Grapes Sethi finally breaks out of his sulk to endorse the winner of the primary. Too little too late. He should have pulled on his big boy pants for that unity rally, but his narcissistic nature couldn’t allow for that mature action. And where is Chris Devaney? His name has been missing from any association with the doctor.

He’s probably concerned with his clients who survived the primaries to live to fight another day in November’s general election. If not, he is already drumming up clients for the upcoming 2022 race. So it goes, that’s why those who choose their candidates based on the campaigns they see before them a few weeks before the election conjured up by campaign pros are so foolish.

Leeann C says:

I can’t imagine anyone in their right mind choosing Devaney. The Sethi campaign was disgusting. And I still want to know who talked him into running for the statewide race with no experience. I hope they learned the lesson you wished for them to learn.

The way I imagine it happened is that Sethi who has lived a charmed life all his life wildly succeeding at anything he put his mind to achieve, after seeing the magic Devaney worked with No Record Candidate Bill Lee, went to Devaney and asked can whether Manny could pull off being elected U. S. Senator running against Hagerty after Haslam dropped out. Devaney asked “how much money do you have, Doctor” and when that seemed OK Devaney devised a plan of Manny running to the right of Hagerty insofar as Hagerty was an open and notorious moderate. Thankfully, it simply didn’t work, not by a long-shot.

Trump has been wrong on tariffs, lying about who pays them every step of the way. Nearly 4000 corporate plaintiffs are suing the Administration and asking for re-imbursement of the tariffs THEY (US companies, NOT the Chinese government) have paid thus far.)

Trump has a tax plan that gives the self-employed a 20% tax cut (above and beyond their business deductions) over those who Earn a Paycheck. And there has been Zero simplification contrary to the Presidents promise.

Mexico has off-loaded its citizens illegally to the United States for decades and Deal-maker Trump could NOT get Mexico to pay one dime for the Wall as opposed to having them pay for the entire thing. The Republican House, Senate and President could not put Teeth into E-verify.

Trump’s stock market has been fueled by the Fed low-ball interest rate agenda for the past 2 1/2 years . Other Presidents have had Roaring stock markets without this manipulation which Candidate Trump promised not to do.

He has run deficit budgets Each and Every year (2 while having a Rep senate and house) and run up a tremendous addition to the debt.

NONE of this is conservative. None of it.

And let’s not forget that The Trump Brand and the Ivanka Brand of clothing, shoes, apparel for decades have been All made abroad , outsourcing the American Worker. Made in American didn’t matter one wit to these folks. Buy America…..couldn’t care less. UNTIL….he needed to change his tune in order to secure the power of the presidency.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Stewart, you make an attempt to point out some strange distinction between “ideology not clean government.” “The clean government” is the part that is entirely missing in the Republican repertoire and understanding of it’s conservative “ideology” – I am simply pointing out that NOTHING the Republicans undertake seems to be honest and done or undertaken strictly for “good Government” purposes these days. It is quite the opposite. The GOP has multitudes of dirty trick lawsuits against it at every level of government, they are constantly drumming up new tricks to suppress the vote. They constantly attack women, blacks, immigrants, the poor, the needy, the homeless and they lie like mad. Need I go on? The “ideology” of the Republican party has absolutely nothing to do with “Good Government”- please do not confuse the two, no matter what your Ouija scores tell you.

You forgot attacks on Pacific Islanders to say nothing of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Wasamatter Taxpayer, you some kind of bigot?

Taxpayer #314 says:

Let me be clear Stewart, I am NOT attacking anyone except the Republicans. You dodge the question and try to put words in my statement that are not there and then you want to change the subject to Pacific Islanders and Alaska Natives!! Wow, that is a huge dodge, Stewart. I should point out that your reply is exactly a part of what I am talking about. The republicans today believe that they are so right that they can twist our constitution into their favor by some dirty tricks, bending a few rules and fast talking. It is all about winning… as they define it. There should by now be no doubt that Trump will try to steal this election. You and all Republicans (Americans) should stand with your Democratic friends and not let this happen. One person, one vote, counted correctly, and the winner enjoys the victory in a peaceful transition, just like it used to be and then we all get back to the beach and prosperity! Sounds good to me.

Taxpayer, you better quickly sell those tickets to your peace train to the leftist stormtroopers of Biden voters who have made it clear “NO BIDEN, NO PEACE”!

It’s hard, isn’t it Stuart, to inject a bit of humor when so many just don’t get it? He took your Islanders remark the way my humorless, literal person does. You have your taxpayer; I have my own.

Humorlessness and hyper-sensitivity are yet other pandemics that plague the land and contribute to making the time in which we live so damn depressing.

• Pingback: Friday, September 25

Taxpayer #314 says:

“Humorlessness and hyper-sensitivity” are exactly what trump brings to the table and yes, it is depressing!

You should add vicious and vindictive which, when coupled with the power of the presidency, is indeed depressing….. and dangerous.