In one of the starkest contrasts of the U.S. Senate race so far, Manny Sethi disagreed with rival Republican Bill Hagerty about whether the active-duty military should have a role in responding to civil unrest around the country.

Hagerty early last week called on President Donald Trump to invoke the Insurrection Act to crack down on violence and “domestic terrorism.” The Sethi campaign, however, told The Tennessee Journal, that the National Guard was better suited for the role.

Here’s the statement from Sethi campaign manager Chris Devaney:

Manny appreciates President Trump’s leadership, which is why he doesn’t think we need the 101st Airborne in this. Our U.S. military exists to kill bad guys, not to do police work. Our National Guard is more than capable of dealing with these rioters and looters, upholding the rule of law, and busting some heads if need be, to protect our country.

Trump last week week criticized governors for being “weak” and failing to “dominate the streets.” He floated the idea of using the Insurrection Act to send the military into states where governors hadn’t called in the National Guard, but ultimately didn’t take that step.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee authorized the Guard to intervene when Nashville protesters clashed with police and set fire to the Metro Courthouse. The Guard was also called in to augment security at the state Capitol, though the governor heaped praise on soldiers for laying down their shields during a peaceful protest.

The president over the weekend ordered Guard units to start returning to their home states “now that everything is under perfect control.”

37 Responses to Senate candidates take contrasting stands on use of military to put down protests

• Pure ignorance. Devaney, Sethi and Hagerty know nothing of the military, it’s best uses and how it works. This is election gobbledygook Devaney is a stain wherever you look

Tom Coe says:

I agree with Manny. A future video shot of the the 101st crushing rioters or suppressing free speech is not something the military r us want to see. That’s 3rd world dictator stuff. It’s just not their mission.

Burning, looting, and killing is not a manifestation of free speech, it’s a manifestation of anarchy. Now don’t get me wrong, I have difficulty controlling my schadenfreude in watching far left mayors elected by far left constituents order police to stand down while mobs burn and pillage while the liberal governors elected by the liberal majorities in their states have the National Guard sort of ostentatiously stand around if they are ordered to do anything. My schadenfreude is positively bursting watching places like manically leftist Target (2nd Vote-1.43) stores burn, however, the fundamental role of government is to keep the peace, and there are some poor apolitical, centrist, and even a handful of conservative in these woebegone communities who deserve protection. If the state and local government won’t act, at least the threat of federal intervention is well placed.

Ersatz Rambo conservative Chairman Manny desperately seeking to create a little daylight between himself and Hagerty and choosing to do so on Hagerty’s left. LOVE IT!!! VOTE HAGERTY.

Trump and the US republican elected have been supporting looters, rioters and vadalism in Hong Kong and calling for the Chinese military to stand down. Why the difference?

The lawless in Hong Kong have something to fear in hyper totalitarian Red China so there is a natural sympathy that Republicans have for them. The lawless in the U.S. are simply lawless, indeed, the U.S. demonstrators have nothing to demonstrate about but no one questions their right to be idiotic.

Vandalizing public property (setting fires in airports, subways etc) as well as vandalizing and looting high-end, private shop owners is the same regardless of where it is happening. Nice try but this is about whether rioting and looting private, innocent shop owners is OK and should never be interrupted by military-level force.

Hypocrites……that’s the explanation

LeeAnn C. says:

Of course, TNJ repeats the NY Times mislabeling of riots as protests. No one, I repeat, no one wants to stop peaceful people with bullhorns from using their 1st amendment rights to speak about whatever they choose.

Everyone I know wants law and order to prevail. The riots, looting, vandalism and murders must stop. Immediately. Exhausted law enforcement professionals are walking off the job. Municipalities are considering defunding or disbanding police departments. National guard reinforcements are sleeping on sidewalks bc local mayors are refusing to allow them in unoccupied bedspaces.

We need to wake up and recognize the true enemy within. We are under attack by an organized effort and the appropriate label is Domestic Terrorism.

Isn’t there an oath that states ‘protection against enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC’? Oh that’s right…it’s in the military oath of service.

Mark Rogers says:

LeeAnn C.,

If you look at a history of the insurrection act, you will find that each application of the law involving rioting is targeted to specific incidents and not to some broad claim of unrest. You would also observe that the instances where those Presidents chose to act were all cases where the scale of violence was far greater than any instances seen in 2020.

The decision to invoke the insurrection act, especially without requeats from state governors, ought ro disturb any self-styled conservative who values the constitutional principle of federalism. Of course, the Hagerty campaign isn’t interested in constitutional principles. This is all about doing what his master, Senator McConnell, tells him to do.

A vote for Hagerty is a vote for McConnell’s agenda. A vote for Hagerty is a votw to give Kentucky a third US Senator. I would prefer that Tennessee keep both Senators. Dr. Sethi is demonstrating his indwpendence and isn’t that what we want?

With Chairman Manny’s anemic political record consisting of time spent as a Republican Establishment hanger-on it’s difficult to find a reason to support him for U. S. Senator (though with a little bit of a conservative record House District 65 is very doable) but supporting him because “A vote for Hagerty is a vote to give Kentucky a third US Senator” is the most laughable. I believe Hagerty’s (Vandy BA & JD) last connection with Kentucky occurred in 1993. Don’t give up Chairman supporters! There must be some rational reason to support this political novice for U.S. SENATE.

LeeAnn C. says:

I don’t need a refresher of history. I also don’t need exaggerations of the proposed troop support. No one suggested putting the military all places. When the nation’s capitol is under attack and Secret Service agents are being injured, it’s time for serious options to be considered. Today’s news shows that the national guard is being relieved as the situation has calmed a bit. Captain Obvious, or rather his campaign staff, seems to be a week behind in their response.

Further, a vote for Hagerty is a vote for Hagerty. Period. These lame attempts to align him with McConnell belie a weak challenger that will say anything to be elected. With a contribution record to Bob Corker, all this “true conservative” labeling is without substance. I’ll take the man that’s actively been working on behalf of Americans already in the ambassadorship and the sorely needed economic recovery!

John says:

How much is William Francis Hagerty IV paying you?

Mark Rogers says:

LeeAnn C.,

You do need a refresher in history if you think there is precedent for the President to talk about a generic call up of troops under the insurrection act. The President made an open ended call to invoke the act and Hagerty almost broke his neck nodding in support without hearing details. Hardly leadership from Hagerty. And weak on the constitutional aspect too.

Of course Mitch is the real source of Hagerty’s DC influence since the Ambassador is busy denying ever knowing anyone named Mitt Romney. I gather he can deny any connection to Romney three times faster than Peter could say ‘Jesus who?’

I guess now that the senior Bush has announced his intention not to vote for Trump, Hagerty will not be mentioning that he was on the ballot in 2016 to be a Jeb Bush delegate.

LeeAnn C. says:

John, I am blissfully retired and have no need to work at this point in my life, so NO ONE can ‘buy’ my support. I support Bill Hagerty because he has extensive experience and qualifications to conduct business on my behalf in the Senate. In contrast to other candidates, he has already been at work to serve and demonstrate sound leadership. I’ve met Dr. Sethi and find him lacking in character and substance. Even in this, the quote is from the campaign manager, not the candidate. I guess Devaney didn’t trust his candidate to make the statement accurately.

Mark, I see no ‘generic’ call up of the troops in the statements made by Bill Hagerty. And as for precedent, when in our nation’s history have we had all these major cities thrown into chaos? When was the last time the nation’s capitol was under attack with the President taking cover in a bunker while the brave Secret Service forces were suffering injury at the hands of an enemy? When have we had mayors demonstrate so little concern over public safety as to refuse the assistance of the National Guard when made available to them? When have we had municipal governments give serious consideration to ‘defund’ or ‘disband’ local law enforcement? I appreciate someone giving public safety the utmost consideration and considering every resource to stop the organized threats to our republic.

Bill Hagerty does not deny assisting the Republican party to serve the Presidential nominee of the Republican party right after the Republican party chose the GOP candidate. I didn’t support Romney in the primary, nor did I support Trump in the primary. I supported BOTH in elections against Obama and H. Clinton. Did you?

Perhaps you need a refresher of the context of the 2012 and 2016 political circumstances. As a Ted Cruz supporter, I’m pleased to have supported Trump in the election and worked diligently to be sure that happened. Bill Hagerty did more than I did to help him and hasn’t budged in his support for him. Lord knows the President needs all the support he can get in these troubled times.

• One size does not fit all… neither do Hagerty or Sethi speak for ALL the candidates in this race.
    But to read this misleading article you would think they are the only two choices. They are not.
    These were positions taken by their campaign handlers… for political points. Neither is an expert on terrorism, domestic or otherwise. Neither am I.
    Perhaps a measured response would be appropriate, depending on the city or area involved. One thing is certain. America is being torn apart from within… by misinformation… including this article.
    BushForSenate.com
    “IT MATTERS…”

Sethi is correct. Stuart is incorrect.
    The National Guard is enough. ONLY if not, then Military, but that would not happen if the NG are allowed to do what needs to be done. Hagerty is just a Trump brown nose and Deep State NeoCon.
    The issue is the pressure from above (Deep State, Socialists Governors and Mayors) trying to destroy the Local police; and pressure from below, the Communists Antifa protest planners and their mob dupes and cannon fodder wanting to destroy the police; with both wanting a National Police force.

Beatrice Shaw says:

I believe a retrained and accountable national police department with precincts in each town is a good answer. This will relieve a lot of financial burdens on local governments, and conduct will be judged uniformly.

LeeAnn C. says:

Ask Americans that are under attack if they care which uniform stands between them and the ruthless mob. We want law and order!

Dangerous Trends Toward Civilian Police Review Boards
    For nearly 50 years, a deadly and effective attack has been orchestrated against local police departments all throughout the United States and most Americans do not even realize it is happening.

Donna Locke says:

We don’t live in a fairy tale, and we never will. Get over it. I’m for whatever allows law enforcement officers to go home to their children after shift. I’m thinking of my cousin, recognized for heroism, and others. I am deeply grateful to those standing between me and chaos. I have looked evil in its human eye, and I see darkness expanding and merging in the world. I prefer keeping my focus on the big picture.

Evil infiltrates and subverts good. Find the destroyer and remove it. Don’t use this an excuse to eliminate the good, making you a tool of ignorance, itself a tool of evil.

Donna, would they like a UN blue helmet communist there ?

Beatrice Shaw says:

My son did a year with the UN in Europe. Nothing communist about them. There are parts of our country that could use the help. A domestic Peace Corps would e ideal also

Beatrice, you may want to do research on the UN, first Who was Alger Hiss? Then search communist party in America? The ask Who financed and helped every communist country to become communist? (hint USA State department and CIA ) .
          Then read this:
          “I need not be a member of the United Nations Secretariat to know that the UN ‘blueprint’ is a Communist one. I was at the Moscow headquarters of the world Communist party for nearly three years and was acquainted with most of the top leaders…. I went to their colleges; I learned their pattern of operations, and if I see that pattern in effect anywhere, I can recognize it….
          “From the point of view of its master designers meeting at Dumbarton Oaks and Bretton Woods, and which included such masterful agents as Alger Hiss, Harry Dexter White, Lauchlin Currie, and others, the UN was, and is, not a failure. They and the Kremlin masterminds behind them never intended the UN as a peace-keeping organization. What they had in mind was a fancy and colossal Trojan horse…. Its [the UN’s] internal setup, Communist designed, is a pattern for sociological conquest; a pattern aimed to serve the purpose of Communist penetration of the West. It is ingenious and deceptive.” ~ Joseph Z. Kornfeder, former top member of the Communist Party of America, in a speech before the Congress of Freedom, Veterans War Memorial Auditorium, San Francisco, April, 1955 (1)
          Notes:
          1. Griffin, G. Edward, The Fearful Master (Boston: Western Islands, 1964), end of Chapter 10.

Donna Locke says:

I would take us out of the UN.

0For those of you who, like me, are students of psephology watching this dreary Senate campaign because you find it interesting to watch what Chris Devaney is going to do with The Chairman’s $1.5 million+ please notice the broken field running. Chris’ first job was positioning his client. Since Hagerty is a Republican Establishment candidate from Central Casting and the morning line favorite the chore was to run The Chairman as the “Unhagerty” of the campaign.

Initially, the decision was made to run The Chairman as a Blood and Guts Conservative against Hagerty’s Republican Establishment credentials. Apparently, the fact that Dr. “Conservative-Outsider” has absolutely no record of any kind during his 42 years of association with the conservative movement makes this too preposterous so now we may be seeing a sudden reversal of direction and an attempt to chart a path down the field ever so carefully ducking and feinting gently moving away from Trump’s more incendiary statements now that Hagerty has hitched his star firmly to Trump. Man, Chris Devaney is a pro but he isn’t running for Senate. VOTE HAGERTY.

I believe, Stuart, that the phrase is “hitching one’s star to another’s wagon.” I know how you love to get that SAT question correct and there is only one Right Answer.

You may very well be correct and if I was answering an SAT question I may have gotten it wrong. I was, however, trying to capture the fact that virtually the entire Hagerty campaign’s strategy consists of trying to have the President’s great popularity among Republicans in Tennessee pass to Hagerty through his having received Trump’s endorsement. Thus, I didn’t think to make the sentence read “. . .hitched his star firmly to Trump’s wagon” because you know how I hate to be wordy in these responses.

______________
          BTW, Tucker is on in five minutes (FOX News) so you may want to turn your TV on now so you don’t miss a single word of his all important opening monologue.

Lance Persson says:

Clearly Stuart Anderson dispises Chris Devaney. However it is not Devaney who will be representing us in the senate. I was not pleased with Manny’s choice of campaign managers but there are not a lot of folks out there that have the experience, know how and money connections to lead a senate race campaign. The key for deciding your vote should be the qualities of the candidate not your personal feeling for their campaign manager. When you review Haggerty’s political history, you see that he has consistently has supported progressive candidates (Romney, Rubio, etc.) not conservative candidates. Those who know Manny Sethi recognize that he is the stronger conservative candidate. My vote will be for Sethi Manny. Get the facts and decide for your self. We don’t need another wishy washy progressive like Alexander.

Lance, you sound like a fine conservative so bless you, despite the fact that I have not been successful in communicating the oblique but brilliant reasoning that causes me to ardently wish for The Chairman’s ignominious defeat. One thing, I really hope that my responses and replies, while stating a strongly held viewpoint make it obvious that I DON’T HATE/DESPISE ANYONE for their political beliefs much less a professional hired political gun like Devaney. We have entirely too much of that in this country and it is very worrying.

Lance Persson says:

Good reply. Like the positive tone but would like to see more factual data to back up your postings. 🙂

Now that’s a problem. How do I present “factual date” of something that does not exist when that’s my point. Dr. “CONSERVATIVE-OUTSIDER” is a very wealthy man who has done nothing to assist the conservative movement in his 42 years. Yet he is trying to win this election by running as the conservative answer to Hagerty. HE IS A PHONY and conservatives should vote against him by simply voting for Hagerty to show that this kind of flim-flam is punished rather than rewarded. As for being an outsider, The Chairman gets his campaign name thanks to his being chairman of the 2016 Statesmen’s Dinner, the Republican Party’s annual flagship fundraising event. The Chairman is also friends with Chip Saltzman, Bob Davis and Bill Frist. “OUTSIDER?” The Chairman has no business running for the U. S. Senate and his campaign is fraudulent nonsense that should be rejected by Republican voters.

LeeAnn C. says:

You may need to take another look at your choice. Contributing to Corker and the challenger to Freedom Coalition member DesJarlais are not choices any ‘strong conservative’ would make. Missing are any contributions to the likes of Joe Carr.

No doubt that Hagerty is a party faithful Republican. News flash – this is the Republican primary.

When listening to the talking points of each candidate, you actually would have trouble distinguishing many differences. So then you must look to their record. Not there. Devaney sold us Bill Lee as a conservative then he chose to opt in for refugee resettlement and more horrendously, shut down businesses and livelihoods.

Maybe take another look. Better yet, you should actually meet Bill Hagerty. I kind of doubt that you have.

Mark Rogers says:

LeeAnn C., If the Ambassador is such a great right wing figure and original Trump fan, why was he on the ballot as a Bush delegate?

• Pingback: Tuesday, June 9