Rogers, Goins out at Department of Veterans Services

Gov. Bill Lee, bottom left, looks on as his Cabinet takes the oath of office in Nashville on Jan. 19, 2019. (Erik Schelzig Tennessee Journal)

Former Republican state Reps. Courtney Rogers and Tilman Goins have resigned from their respective positions as commissioner and deputy commissioner of the state Department of Veterans Services, The Tennessean’s Natalie Allison reports.

Gov. Bill Lee’s office did not say what caused the simultaneous resignations.

Rogers, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Air Force, was a tea party activist who benefited from a political storm surrounding her predecessor, then-Republican Caucus Chair Debra Maggart of Hendersonville, to win her first of three terms in 2012. Maggart had upset public school teachers and gun rights advocates, and Rogers ended up winning the race 57% to 43%.

The outcome sent shock waves through the legislative office complex in Nashville. But knocking off the No. 3 Republican in the House didn’t mean Rogers was fast-tracked for leadership. She mostly kept a low profile as a lawmaker, siding with groups like the Americans for Prosperity in opposing Gov. Bill Haslam’s gas tax hike and supporting various legislative initiatives to loosen gun restrictions.

UPDATE: Lee has announced Rogers’ interim successor:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Today, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee announced Major General Tommy H. Baker as the interim commissioner for the Department of Veterans Services. Former commissioner Courtney Rogers will return to the private sector.

“Gen. Baker is a committed public servant and I thank him for his willingness to lead the Department of Veterans Services during this critical time for our state,” said Gov. Lee.

Gen. Baker previously served as the Deputy Adjutant General of the Tennessee National Guard (TNG) with the responsibility to assist the adjutant general in the oversight and administration of over 13,000 Soldiers and Airmen in the TNG. He enlisted in the Tennessee Army National Guard in Huntingdon, Tennessee in 1980 and was commissioned as an armor officer in 1985. He is a 1995 graduate of the University of Tennessee-Martin with a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration. He received his Masters Degree in Business Administration and Military Management from Touro University in 2003, and is a 2011 graduate of the United States Army War College with a Masters in Strategic Studies.

14 Responses to Rogers, Goins out at Department of Veterans Services

Jason Wallflower says:

This is good for Tennessee. Rogers and Goins are both 100% nut jobs.

In the Wallflower World apparently anyone who is not a liberal, centrist, or even perhaps a tepid conservative is a “nut job.” On the contrary, Tilman Goins (ACU-93%) and Courtney Rogers (ACU-88%) were fine legislators devoted to keeping Tennessee an attractive place for productive citizens and the companies they own and for whom they work. Hope to see Goins and Rogers back in the General Assembly soon.

Jason Wallflower says:

After seeing the Tennessean story, I stand behind my comments 200%.

Don’t need racists and philanderers in the GOP.

Like I said it’s a good day for Tennessee to get rid of Rogers and Goins.

Wooooosh! That’s a big three pointer on the liberal scoreboard for Jason hitting with that tried and true “RACISTS” shot from far out because there is nothing about race in the story to which we’re supposed to be responding. Haven’t had one of those by our liberal friends in awhile. Good shooting Jason!

Phillip Lassiter says:

Good job, Bill Lee-you’ve managed to build a Republican administration with no Republicans!! San Francisco, DC, New York, Baltimore and others would like to know how you accomplished this. You may be Presidential material yet…..

Hal Rounds says:

Is “Wallflower” a name, or a social skills descriptor?
    Having known Rogers for some time, I can tell that the reflexive socialist name-calling use of “racist” exposes an absence of personal knowledge of the personal attack target by the obedient attack dog.

James B. Garrett says:

I don’t know Jason Wallflower but I do know both Tilman Goins and Lt. Col. Rogers. As a veteran myself, their departure from the Department of Veterans Services is a loss to the State and veterans alike. Both of these two individuals are very fine people. And Jason, even though I don’t know you, I can only conclude, based on your comments, you don’t know them either. From your initial comment I figure you were looking in a mirror at yourself to call anyone a “nut job.”. Jason, from your follow-up comment, I know for sure you don’t know Courtney or Tilman either. I think Hal nailed it when it comes to you. Jason, you imply you are a member of the Republican Party. If that is the case, please do your home work before you make a fool of yourself.

James, unlike the Democrats it’s difficult to mention anything that is characteristic of Republicans, but one thing for sure, I don’t know any Republican who throws the word “RACIST” around willy nilly the way Jason did. Anyone can self-identify as a “Republican” but if Jason is a Republican he is one hell of a sui generis Republican I am happy to say.

Jason Wallflower says:

You obviously din’t read the Tennessean article with confirmed details from the complaint. Courtney Rogers is bad news and not fit to serve in any capacity in Tennessee.

• Pingback: Tuesday, December 8

Beatrice Shaw says:

wow according to other credible reports, the commissioner used racist and homophobic remarks. Sad—but being a Republican not at all surprising. i notice where the assistant commissioner had an ‘inappropriate relationship’ with a subordinate. This is sad because it appears he has a young family that was counting on him for support. Even if his relationship was with a gay or transgender person and not a female, it will hurt his marriage. We may never know who was involved. The IMPORTANT thing is to get more credible people (hopefully democrats) into positions helping Tennesseans–especially our veterans

James B. Garrett says:

You are right – I didn’t read the article. I learned 19 years ago not to rely on the Tennessean for any creditable, non-biased, news. Knowing her as I do, I totally disagree completely with you.

Taxpayer #314 says:

The repeated general republican defense of crooked, shady and unethical politicians at every level of government is getting old. They make absolutely rediculas arguments that just fall apart on the least little bit of solid investigation and then pile on anyone that doesn’t agree with their misguided conclusions. It really is sad to hear this type of nonsense over and over again.