Rep. Carter hospitalized with COVID-19

Rep Mike Carter is sworn in to the 111th General Assembly in Nashville on Jan. 8, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

State Rep. Mike Carter (R-Ooltewah) has been hospitalized with COVID-19, according to an email sent to Republican House members by Caucus Chairman Jeremy Faison.

“Our friend and colleague Mike Carter is in ICU at Erlanger with Covid,” Faison wrote to colleagues. “He is asking for prayers. Let’s lift him up y’all.”

Lawmakers were in Nashville last week for a special legislative session. Many did not wear masks. Carter did not attend.

Former House Speaker Glen Casada (R-Franklin) skipped the special session because he had been exposed to COVID-19, The Tennessean reported. Casada wouldn’t disclose whether he had tested positive, but said he had no symptoms and felt fine.

“I was exposed to covid and did not want to run the risk of exposing anyone else,” he told the paper in a statement Saturday.

Rep. Kent Calfee (R-Kingston) tested positive for COVID-19 following the conclusion of the regular session in June, as did former Republican Rep. Kevin Brooks, the mayor of Cleveland, who was hospitalized with pneumonia on both lungs. Brooks had served as as the minister of the day for the final House floor session in June.

25 Responses to Rep. Carter hospitalized with COVID-19

Beatrice Shaw says:

Anyone that now says this is not a REAL pandemic with the most serious of consequences needs to themselves receive a ticket from the health department for spreading through DENIAL!! Schools must close and people must wear masks and stay home. If this many politicians out of just shy of 500 are getting COVID, then everyone else is in deep trouble.

Perry Aubric says:

I know Mike Carter and went to college with him. He is a good person, and I hope he recovers quickly. Yes, this is indeed real, not the flu, and dangerous. I hope everyone who frequents here is being cautious and taking all the recommended precautions.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Why do Republicans find it so difficult to just wear a mask? Sure, I hope all the people inflicted with Covid -19 recover but this is science folks. When the various guidelines are flaunted & ignored the virus will surely follow. Not wearing a mask all the time in public is just asking for trouble. Masks protect us all. Listen to the doctors and the scientists, not the politicians.

Phil Lassiter says:

Why did the government beg us not to wear them 4 months ago, but beg us to wear them now? Who can you trust? Lots of overreacting. Dems are loving this

Perry Aubric says:

No one is loving this, Phil. That’s just a stupid thing to say. Try to have a thought in your head that didn’t originate with Hannity.

steve cates says:

Medical situations like this pandemic are ever changing. More is learned and different information is disseminated. What was understood in Feb. and March is much different today.

Cannoneer2 says:

Thank you. As a scientist, I’ll back that up.

Regardless of what upper respiratory virus (a new one or the hundreds of others we’ve had for centuries) a person BREATHES in exactly the same way.

Fauci, Birx have had 40 yrs as paid-by-taxpayers epidemiologists who should have known on day 1 whether a Mask stops the spread of a Virus, any virus, or not. They lied in the beginning to keep the public from scarfing up the PPE.

Then they lied saying we should wear a mask “to protect others” b/c a mask offers virtually NO Protection to the wearer. Discovering that Altruism is not a good Sales Tactic they have now decided that “yes!!!!!, a mask Does protect the wearer”.

This crap has not been a function of this being a new Virus. All viruses that are respiratory are expelled into the air and a cloth mask of 2 layers either Does or Doesn’t protect against the aerosols and particles that contain the virus.

Cannoneer2 says:

Current theory is that it slows down the projection of the virus particles that do get through the mask, reducing the area around the infected person in which infection can occur. This is new science for the most part. The first world hasn’t experienced anything like this in modern times, so it just hasn’t been studied in depth. One of the things that continually amazes me is how much the scientific community doesn’t know, even about things we consider basic.

Don’t be ridiculous. Any mask of 2 layers slows down projection of the virus particles and they should have known that from the Last 40 Years of their professional experience. It doesn’t matter what the Upper respiratory virus is. New, old…….it exhales the same way. They lied. And if they did it from ignorance, that’s inexcusable given their 40 year salaries as paid government workers. If they did it to knuckle under to Trump that is equally inexcusable.

Cannoneer2 says:

Maybe they were lying. I think that they were just making things up as they went along, with political “guidance”, I am sure. If they WERE lying, they weren’t doing a good enough job of it, as the President has brought in Dr. Scott Atlas to kick sand in Dr. Fauci’s face and readjust the narrative. I am amused by how worked up you got over this corner of government “lying” to you.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Phil, you got it right…the “Government” (Trump) may have begged you not to wear a mask and he still is hesitant to encourage anyone to wear one but the “Epidemiologists” and the Scientists & Medical staffs have been pleading with the public since day one of the Pandemic to wash your hands, stay home and always wear a mask if you go out. Trust them to tell you the truth, not your politicians. WE might not have faced this virus before but the scientists have been studying this type of virus for a very long time. Listen to them. I agree, Dems are NOT loving this, our economy is in trouble, our neighbors, friends and family are dyeing; this affects us all.

From Business Insider and Other publications:

In late February and early March as the COVID-19 outbreak began accelerating in the US, hospitals and health facilities experienced severe shortages of personal protective equipment for healthcare workers. In response, experts like Fauci and the US Surgeon General Jerome Adams advised Americans against wearing masks.

They did advise against Wearing OF Masks and they did it on purpose.

Cannoneer2 says:

We still can’t get N95 masks. Labs are relying on cloth masks and plastic face shields, even the ones that are doing Covid testing.

What has that got to do with telling Americans that they don’t NEED to wear a mask for the sake of protecting from Covid? I, and millions of Americans have a sewing machine and old clothes that could be used for a 2-layer mask. BUT they lied about the NEED for a mask, N-95 or otherwise. And you are a scientist? Good grief.

• Pingback: Monday, August 17

Kathryn Baldwin says:

Stuart, you have no guiding words for the masses on this issue? Cat got your tongue?

Gail McPeak says:

Stuart, here kitty, kitty, kitty . . ………..

This is so heartwarming!!!! First, I want to congratulate those leftists who sabotaged the mechanism through which I receive an e-mail heads up about a new article appearing on this blog so for the last week or so I simply thought that Erik was on a post primary vacation because I have not received any e-mails re: new articles. It doesn’t surprise me though. I envision thousands of misguided liberals/leftists streaming to the conservative cause thanks to my responses/replies to this blog and something simply had to be done to stop me. Well, I’m back thanks to MARLE who was concerned about me. As a single, childless only child I simply can’t have too many people who feel that level of concern.

Second, I can’t spread myself too thin. I am primarily a political junky devoted to doing what I can to bring back the age of Calvin Coolidge to this country. That is job one!!! Plagues and pandemics simply don’t turn me on as much.

Perry Aubric says:

Well, Coolidge was a genius at timing, if nothing else. He left office seven months before Republican mismanagement if the economy and their fealty to the 1% brought on the Great Depression. A Democratic President got us out of that and won a World War to boot.

If anyone messed with your system, Stuart, it was more likely the same Russian trolls working to re-elect Trump.

Well Perry, at least you’re consistent. Coolidge had as much responsibility for the Great Depression, as Roosevelt had responsibility for bringing us out of the Great Depression (“thank” Hitler and the Emperor of Japan for that) as the Russian trolls will have for bringing about the re-election of Trump.