Rep. Byrd needs ‘miracle’ in COVID-19 treatment

Rep. David Byrd (R-Waynesboro) attends a House committee meeting on March 28, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Rep. David Byrd says he “needs a miracle” to keep from being placed on a ventilator during his hospitalization for COVID-19. The lawmaker was airlifted from to Nashville last weekend after being diagnosed with the coronavirus and pneumonia.

“I really need a miracle today!!” the Waynesboro Republican said a Facebook post Thursday. “My doctor said if my oxygen level doesn’t improve then he has no choice but to put me on a ventilator. So please pray that God will breathe His healing spirit into my lungs!!”

UPDATE: Family members and friends posted on Monday that Byrd had been put on a ventilator.

Byrd attended a recent House Republican Caucus meeting while not wearing a face covering. Days earlier, he hosted a dinner for dozens of GOP colleagues attending a caucus retreat at Pickwick Landing State Park.

Byrd has been under fire ever since being accused of — and never explicitly denying — sexual misconduct with high school basketball players when he was their coach in the 1980s.

Byrd was among 55 Republicans who in June voted in favor of a House resolution claiming the “mainstream media has sensationalized the reporting on COVID-19 in the service of political agendas.”

Here are the other Republicans who voted for the measure (names in bold indicate lawmakers who have since retired or, like sponsor Micah Van Huss, were defeated in their primaries; names in italics are those confirmed to have contracted COVID-19):

Charlie Baum, Clark Boyd, David Byrd, Kent Calfee, Mike Carter, Glen Casada, Scott Cepicky, Mark Cochran, John Crawford, Michael Curcio, Clay Doggett, Bill Dunn, Rick Eldridge, Jeremy Faison, Ron Gant, Johnny Garrett, Bruce Griffey, Rusty Grills, Curtis Halford, Mark Hall, Kirk Haston, Esther Helton, Gary Hicks, Matthew Hill, Timothy Hill, Andy Holt, Dan Howell, Bud Hulsey, Chris Hurt, Kelly Keisling, William Lamberth, Tom Leatherwood, Mary Littleton, Susan Lynn, Pat Marsh, Debra Moody, Jerome Moon, Brandon Ogles, Dennis Powers, John Ragan, Tim Rudd, Iris Rudder, Lowell Russell, Jerry Sexton, Paul Sherrell, Mike Sparks, Rick Tillis, Chris Todd, Micah Van Huss, Kevin Vaughan, Terri Lynn Weaver, Mark White, Ryan Williams, Dave Wright, Jason Zachary.

43 Responses to Rep. Byrd needs ‘miracle’ in COVID-19 treatment

steve cates says:

Sad to see such ignorance in our TN General Assembly and especially to see three of the four from Rutherford Co. listed.

Jim Justice says:

Reminds me of the story about the fella who was drowning and prayed to god to save him.

Along came another fella in a boat who offers help, but the drowning fella says, “no thank you, sir! Jesus will save me.”

Soon after, the rescue squad comes along with a helicopter and offers to throw down a ladder. But, the drowning fella again refuses. Says he’s pure of heart and certainly knows Jesus will save him.

Before long, things get real dire and that fella looks up at the sky. His time has come and he just can’t swim no more. He goes under and don’t come back up.

That fella wakes up at the pearly gates and Jesus hisself is there. He says, “Jesus! Where was you? I was drowning and prayed for your help, but you just left me there to die!”

Jesus said, “Maybe you shoulda taken that boat or helicopter ride I sent you.”

Maybe Mr. Byrd shoulda taken this more seriously and worn a face mask. I don’t wish no harm on him or his family, but to refuse to do something so simple as to wear a mask and then to unabashedly ask that people prayer to god to save him without one iota of regret shared over his wreckless disregard for public health.

I pray he gets better and I pray he finds some humility. Thank you, sir, for letting me have me say on this forum.

Why is not getting the “miracle 3” that Trump and Giuliani got? Dexamethazone, Remdesivir, and monoclonal cocktail? Or has he gotten these early enough and they didn’t work on him. A bit more info would seem in order.

Cryan says:

He’s not even on Kushner-Trump’s radar. State legislators are low-tier, small ball, and they’re getting no special treatment. I wonder if the blind loyalty was worth it?

Cannoneer2 says:

They are part time employees who have access to the employer’s health insurance. Any Republican business owner would howl in protest if asked to provide the same benefit.

Cryan says:

Yeah, but that’s a post-care issue. Insurance reimbursement or paying out of pocket comes after the service is provided. He could have the best health insurance in the world and still not get Remdesiver. He doesn’t run in the right circles. He’s a nobody.

But continuing on the hypocrisy line, isn’t it funny that this miracle drug reserved only for those closest to the Kushner-Trumps was made from aborted fetal tissue? The “most pro-life president” ever.

Jonathan Swift says:

While he is shopping for miracles, he might add a better hairpiece to the list.

Isn’t it mystifying how the liberal heart bleeds for the dregs of society, but alas the liberal heart seems to be almost bloodless when it’s a reasonably conservative Republican fighting for his life.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Every day it seems that more and more republicans are finding out the hard way that this virus is real and masks and social distancing information was indeed correct. They laughed and scoffed at all those “radical liberals” that were trying to force people into doing something they didn’t want to do and force closure of businesses. Now, after 15M people have died they are “hoping” for a miracle to save their life. These same people, had they been on the Titanic deck that fateful day, would have been screaming loudly that “you can’t force me to wear a life-jacket.” This week the Trump WH has held multiple holiday receptions and parties where large groups of people met indoors without wearing masks. Our state legislators do the same thing in Nashville and we are 9 months into this lockdown and Pandemic. I believe that is the very definition of BAD LEADERSHIP, with no plan and no direction.

Karen Bracken says:

He needs HCQ and Ivermectin. But our government would rather see people die then use these treatments that have worked for many thousands of people with COVID. I KNOW people first hand that worked around the system and treated their COVID with Zinc, Ivermectin, HCQ, Predisone, Arythramyacin cocktail and very sick people that refused to work through the system because they knew a ventilator and then death was what would happen if they went through the normal medical propaganda. NO ONE needs to die from this disease but the NIH, CDC, WHO and our HHS are all big Pharma whores protecting profits over real healthcare.

Jonathan Swift says:

You forgot to mention the tinfoil hats to protect from 5G effects. Why shouldn’t everybody take medical advice from somebody on the internet with no medical credentials?

Karen Bracken says:

So what makes you any more qualified then me?? I have FIRST HAND proof that treating with HCQ and Ivermectin works. Do you have proof that it does not. They will not allow the use of these proven drugs because if they do they cannot force and fast track a vaccine. They will make TRILLIONS from this vaccine and nothing for medications already proven to work. Look at the death rate from some of the 3rd world countries that only had HCQ available to them. Their death rate is almost non existent. Guatemala is one of those countries. They had a very high death rate and decided to use HCQ because they had nothing else. And people got better instead of dyinganl their death rates started to plummet. Perhaps you should get your biased head out of your butt and start doing some research instead of listening to those that have huge financial incentives for not promoting treatments that work. AND if thousands of people die or are damaged by this untested vaccines you cannot sue. If one of your family members are damaged or die you have no legal recourse. The 1986 ACT passed by Congress renders big Pharma harmless from lawsuits due to death or damage from their vaccines. You know why big Pharma forced Congress to pass this law? It was because of the Swine Flu vaccine that was rushed to market and killed and damaged many Americans. Big Pharma told Congress if they did not pass this law they would stop making vaccines for the US. Personally I feel Congress should have called their bluff. So big pharma has everything to gain by pushing vaccines over medications that cost a few pennies.

Then why is the best President America has ever had participating in this fraud…..and not taking HCQ himself. Not too great and hard to explain, isn’t it?

He told his doctors to give him the drugs he got. He didn’t take HCQ.

I believe it will be his Doctor who determines what he gets. HCQ is available for travelers, for Lupus patients among others regardless of whom they know or how well connected they are. If his Doctor orders this I am sure he could get his hands on the stuff.

Not so for the Miracle 3 that Giuliani and Trump and Carson got. That is a who you know protocol.

It is interesting to see the Biggest Trump supporters not question why Trump or Giuliani did not take HCQ at all but instead took the very expensive and impossible to get “Miracle 3” protocol

Is Trump trying to perpetrate a hoax on the American people by recommending for them something he didn’t take himself. And remember Trump said “I TOLD my doctors that I wanted the Regeneron drug”. So…..Trump and Giuliani Tout HQC but won’t take it when they get Covid.

Ivermectin is an Anti-parasitic. In the link you provided they HCQ cocktail doesn’t include ivermectin. It is Azithromycin

Jamesa Hopson says:

I don’t think when someone is lying in the hospital facing a ventilator that we should use that time to throw rocks at them. I have recently lost my dad and my father-n-law both to COVID and both of them were vigilant about wearing their masks. They still died alone in a hospital bed with what seemed like care only to make them comfortable. Please pray for the people and especially their families that feel totally helpless through it all and leave the judgment to the Good Lord!!

And across America people are experiencing what you have at the rate of one death every 35 seconds. Your loss is tragic. Some people who get the Covid vaccine will get covid anyway. And some people who wear a mask All The Time will as well. Nothing is 100%.

But Trump and Giuliani did not have care that only “made them comforatable” and b/c of that they were dancing through the hospital corridors in record time.

Those who know that they will get what Giuliani, just yesterday self-described as “celebrity treatment” can afford to be cavalier. But they model this behavior to the 100’s of millions who can ill afford such bravado.

Phillip Lassiter says:

Amen. Savages on here

You mean Jamesa that in an article about someone whose life is in danger it’s inappropriate to bring up decades old unproven charges about wrong doing having nothing to do with his current predicament? Huh. What a novel idea.

Jonathan Swift says:

The miracle WE need is for all these Republican idiots to resign from their elected positions.

And be replaced by. . .a bunch of liberal control freaks who will mandate that we wear a mask while jogging alone and/or in a one-man canoe and/or between bites and drinks while eating alone outdoors. Come on Jonathan, don’t be shy, you are ready to have people (who you don’t like very much anyway) resign because of one meaningless vote, why don’t you play Paul Harvey and give us “the rest of the story.”

And no one in between I suppose? This….this is the problem. Positing the proposition that all the world is divided into extremes: you are either for NO masks, no distancing, NO limit on gatherings or you are for wearing a mask in the middle of your 80Ac farm.

I know that Trump is on the No mask, no distancing, no limit on gathering b/c he puts that on display Every Day. But who are the Dems who want Masks in the middle of a lake or your own 80Ac farm? Give me their names.

Phillip Lassiter says:

Cuomo and Lightfoot

Give me the link to the mask wearing in the middle of an 80Ac farm or by yourself in the middle of a lake.

I’m too lazy to look it up to give you the details because it isn’t all that important but I am sure I have seen news reports of people jogging being stopped for not wearing a mask and I know California Oberfuehrer Newsome did ask Californians to wear a mask while eating. The point is that Jonathan wanted some 55 Republican lawmakers to resign because of a meaningless vote but we need a state House and he didn’t supply suggestions for a replacement so I thought I would be helpful and suggest replacements that would appeal to him.

Before they opened gyms back up in June I walked on the path in Nashville along the Stone River. Nashville had a mask order but not for outdoor public pathways. And Davidson county is among the most strict in TN.

I am a believer in viral load and length of exposure. If I were to have gotten Covid from my excursions I hoped to have gotten it from 10 seconds of passing someone on a pathway.

No he didn’t supply a list; maybe he’s just too lazy which is a convenient answer when asked to be specific in your assertions. I hate it when that happens; don’t you??????

Taxpayer #314 says:

As usual, Stuart is off in the weeds with his one man canoe theory.

judy richardson says:

Pull your claws in Stuart Anderson!!

Come on judy give me a break, I’ve lost most of my hair and now you want me to disable my claws too. Besides, MARLE is far more clawee than me but she doesn’t seem to bother you. Odd.

That’s real bold of you Stuart…..push the other guy out in front of you to take the slings and arrows. I see why you have no regard for profiles in courage in others.

karen bracken says:

Some REAL doctors that have successfully treated COVID patients with HCQ and just testified to the US Senste. Other doctors testified about their success with Ivermectin. AND let’s not forget that Rep. Byrd is obviously very sick and has asked for our prayers.

Tennessee Patriot says:

I know for a fact that more than three legislators on this list have contracted the virus. It just hasn’t been made public.

Jonathan Swift says:

“So what makes you any more qualified then me??” I never claimed to be more qualified than you. In fact, I am probably as unqualified as you. It’s amazing how sensitive some people are when their positions or beliefs are challenged, while they charge ahead challenging the positions or beliefs of others.

Here is all one needs to know….Trump heralded HCQ calling it a “Game Changer”. When he, Giuliani, Carson and all the “important people” get Covid they Do Not get HCQ. They get Monoclonal antibodies.

Dancing down the hospital corridors within 24 hrs of receiving it singing “what’s good enough for thee is by no means Good Enough For Me”.

Beatrice Shaw says:

I thought this Byrd fellow had agreed not to run again?

Taxpayer #314 says:

While one TN republican legislator is clinging to life in the hospital from the Covid, other TN republican electors met yesterday to vote for Trump, the ultimate virus denier. They all met in a crowded room with only a few masks in sight. It just does not make sense but the republicans are so proud of the freedom we have in TN – freedom to infect others. We are #1 for new cases of the virus in the entire country now.

Kevin says:

Your senator and anyone else you care about would be well served if their health care team spent 10 minutes at covid19criticalcare dot com.

CDC, NHS, FDA, WHO etc. are all obviously important oversight but in cases like this where thousands die every day we can’t afford the time. Ivermectin WORKS (unlike Hydroxycloriquine). Right now.