State troopers rushed to block demonstrators from entering the state Capitol on Monday. Meanwhile on the inside of the building, U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty pressed the flesh with Republican lawmakers inside the building.

The protesters were given several reasons for why the couldn’t attend Monday’s floor session, including that House Speaker Cameron Sexton (R-Crossville) had closed the building to visitors and that the THP was concerned protesters had previously been involved in defacing the building. The Senate side of the Capitol complex has been closed to all visitors since the General Assembly returned from its coronavirus hiatus.

Later on Monday night, 21 protesters were removed from the Capitol complex for violating a camping ban.

24 Responses to Protesters blocked from entering Capitol while Senate candidate hobnobs with lawmakers

LeeAnn C. says:

Missing question – did any of the protesters call to request access to the building or schedule a meeting with someone? There’s a difference in scheduling appointments to meet with legislators and barging the door when access is limited for ALL Tennesseans. As for the photos – the enforcement of the 6′ social distancing and/or mask wear is extremely selective. Time for Governor Lee to pull the plug on those requirements and let each individual determine their own risk.

Jonathan Swift says:

You and many other self-centered “freedom fighters” apparently can’t figure out why social distancing and mask wear requirements exist. They not only help protect you from being infected, but they also help protect others from being infected by you. You may be asymptomatic, but still able to infect others.

John says:

Just ignore her. She’s an intern on the Hagerty campaign and will go away in a couple of months.

LeeAnn C. says:

Jonathan, same tired argument. It’s not about what I nor anyone else can ‘figure out’. It’s inconsistent information and the real harm to our economy as long as these rules are in place (which are being ignored by a large part of the population).

Less than 0.2 % of our area has tested positive. How long must we suffer the inconsistent application of the ‘rules’ before anyone recognizes that life (for the healthy) must move on? Recent reports stated that asymptomatic or ‘pre-symptomatic’ individuals have little chance of sharing the virus. ALL these recommendations were initiated with a goal of ‘flattening the curve’. What’s the goal now? When are we free to be photographed standing side by side? Without a mask? Representative Smith has been an advocate for social distancing, yet here she is with my pick for the Senate seat. Don’t lecture me for observations that anyone with sanity can make.

Jonathan Swift says:

I can lecture to anyone I choose, so maybe stick to telling your cat what not to do. Second, you it most definitely is about figuring out that you can indeed transmit the virus to others who may have a much worse reaction to it than you do. Your 0.2% postive tests figure is meaningless, because 100% of the population has not been tested; the percentage of the total population infected has not been established.

Regarding the ignoring of “rules,” the main reason they are being ignored is that they are not actually rules, they are suggestions in most places. How many businesses require employees and customers to wear masks? Not many. If masks were required, there is no doubt that the infection rate would decrease, while getting the economy back closer to normal. And yes I realize that wouldn’t work for restaurants and bars.

Here’s a sane analogy that maybe even you can understand: drunk driving laws exist not to protect the drinker, but to protect the innocent people the drinker may injure or kill.

LeeAnn C. says:

What’s the goal? Here’s another number for you…less than 3% of those tested have been positive in our area. And that percentage continues to decrease with increased testing.

Since you like analogies, driving your vehicle is filled with risks, many of which you, the driver, are not in control. The percentage of highway fatalities could be reduced by limiting speeds to no more than 20 mph. Imagine the number of lives saved! Risk is part of living. The unhealthy and immune compromised should certainly exercise caution. The rest of us should wash our hands, avoid touching faces, clean frequently touched surfaces and exercise long known health precautions of covering coughs and sneezes. Stay in, if you like. I’m going to follow the example set by our elected officials in these and other group photos….side by side and no masks!

Erik Schelzig says:

Nobody needs an appointment to attend House committees or floor sessions. That’s only on the Senate side.

JUDY R says:

Not so, LeeAnn. Thank heavens, Governor Lee is concerned for all Tennesseans. While each individual could determine their “own” risk; they are certainly not concerned about the rest of us.

LeeAnn C. says:

Have you been out lately? NO ONE is consistently following these guidelines! And they haven’t been for months at the selected essential businesses.

As you determine your own risk, I am sure that many will not consider their ability to financially pay for the cost of that risk they’re undertaking. Fed money (paid by those who actually pay Fed income taxes) are paying for those too poor to afford the considerable cost of their risk taking

Can’t believe Hagerty is just a publicity hog.

John says:

Yes and he looks a little light in the loafers to me. The William Francis Hagerty the Fourth trust fund can lend the campaign millions more on TV and I’ll still never believe he’s the gun loving, truck driving macho man Christian they claim.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Must be nice to be a white Republican male these days. All the access and power. Unlimited money. Don’t have to worry about rent, medical bills or utilities. Free access to government buildings and making laws. Sad world we are in today.

You forgot to add, “Just sitting on their veranda sipping mint julep watching the Negroes in the field picking cotton.” Beatrice, if you ever decide to come within radar range of reality, I have personally reserved a place for you in the conservative movement.

Donna Locke says:

I stopped paying attention to this, so exactly what are they protesting now?

About 20 years ago, I predicted that in my lifetime no one would want to be a law enforcement officer anymore because of the undermining of these officers. I want all of the blabbering self-righteous (who went to private schools to avoid minorities), all of the elite and the upscale neighborhoods to know that private security, gated entries, locks in your homes and cars, and your very existence are racist, honey.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Agreed They need to live like the rest of us and learn to have mutual respect and tolerance. The wealth some individuals have is absurd and should be capped at what a comfortable living is. Help some of these neighborhoods rise up.

I can see it now, Commissar Beatrice Shaw head of the Reeducation Camp Administration under the Ministry of Health as well as the Wealth Redistribution Department in the Ministry of Finance. I’m afraid your having one of those “Madame Defarge Days” Beatrice.

Donna Locke says:

I want to add a little more observation about some things, since the recent protests were triggered by George Floyd’s death, which I said at the time was wrong and should not have happened.

Yesterday I was in a store looking at shorts and shirts for my teenage granndson. A tall black man stood beside me, and we started talking when he said he would move away. I told him not to do that. I am white and one-eighth Cherokee. I have a very good sense of people when I’m with them. Without his saying anything, I sensed the guy beside me was feeling a lift, like hope. In general. He almost didn’t know what to do with it. I felt that. I felt it was related to the recent protests and trends toward change, a hope strengthened by the support of many white people. This sense was familiar to me. I felt it when I was a teenager in the late Sixties. It was like a window had opened and fresh air was coming in and you could climb out the window if you wanted to and go anywhere. Anybody could, I thought at the time. It was freedom.

Black males have gotten a bad rap because of the behavior of a number of young black males, who commit crimes at a number way out of proportion to this demographic’s numbers in the U.S. population. It is why police are on automatic alert with young black males. This is realistic, not necessarily racist. I can tell you things about murders too horrific for me to go into without feeling sick. Murders in Atlanta of white women targeted by black males because the women were white. One of the women was stomped to death in a city park while eating lunch, such a horrible death that it comes to mind still many years later. No white people rioted, and the murder was not publicized as the hate crime it was. It wasn’t the only one.

I’m saying, look at the big picture. Since the Sixties, we’ve thrown tons of money and effort at racial compensation. Liberal think tanks do studies that show black children must be in majority white classrooms to improve educational outcomes and reach potential. Whether that will always be true, no one knows, but it’s true right now, and it is not going to happen for most because white parents panic and take their children out. Because they are afraid of majority minority, afraid it will happen if they stay. Majority minority classrooms shoot down educational outcomes for all. This has been shown in the studies I mention.

So, we can’t get the mix that is needed.

You could look at the statistics of unarmed white men shot by police.You could look at black police officers killed by blacks. You could look at blacks killed by blacks, period. You could look at majority minority neighborhoods that request police presence, as they have in my town. You could look at why police are where they are in the first place. You could stop making perpetrators out to be saints.

This is long, so I’ll stop except to say, when you lie down in a public road to impose your will on others and keep them from getting to where they need or want to go, you offend freedom and lose all credibility.

I support law and order. Fair law.

It’s not rocket science as to what it takes for minorities to succeed in this country. The Jews and East Asians are a perfect template to follow. First you have strong families where children are cherished and raising them is job one in what is overwhelmingly a two parent home. In raising these children they are made to understand that education is their job one and everything else is “nice” but it’s education as documented by report cards that are taken very, very seriously as early as possible in the child’s development.

As part of the ethos of the home there is an attitude of taking advantage of every opportunity that is presented rather than an ethos of alleging that Causcasian Christians having nothing much else to do except putting obstacles in the child’s way so that any failure is immediately ascribable to The System making life impossible rather than on the shortcomings of the child. Unfortunately, the leadership in minority communities all too often is intent on choreographing community whining rather than community uplift that cause the adoption of this ethos.

In short improvement in the lot of our under performing minority communities will occur when they emulate minority communities that outperform the Caucasian Christian community. Until that happens, we will have far too many under performing minority communities no matter what ethno-masochism The Great and The Good liberals impose on the rest of us.

John says:

Bill Sanderson and Daddy Casada must be pleased with yesterday’s court ruling. I suspect William Francis “Light in the Loafers” Haggerty IV is as well. How about you, Stuart?

“White parents panic and take their children out”……so it’s white parents fault b/c white parents are expected to stay put in public schools so that their children can be the Caucasians schoolmates black children need in order to succeed.

Are you kidding me? And we thought this nonsense was only put out there by Liberals. Guess this calls into question how learning is going on in minority-majority HBCUs where 40K-50K black children are, by choice, enrolled for higher ed.

Donna Locke says:

I’m not telling anyone what to do. I’m pointing out why we can’t get the mix that seems to work for racially integrated classrooms in terms of good outcomes for all.

Looking back, I think time limits should have been set and enforced on most of the racial-compensation fixes put in motion decades ago. Compensation over many decades now has become coddling, with effects that have further divided us.

Stuart…..you have outdone yourself in that last comment. Perfect in prose construction, perfect in thought development, and pluperfect in humor born of truth.