New Hagerty ad takes aim at China

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty has a new TV ad out blasting China for the coronavirus pandemic.

Here’s a transcript of the spot:

Narrator: Communist China covered up the Wuhan virus, putting America at risk.

Conservative Bill Hagerty says we must hold China accountable.

Endorsed by President Trump, Bill Hagerty is tough on China.

Bill Hagerty: I’m Bill Hagerty, and I approve this message.

25 Responses to New Hagerty ad takes aim at China

Opposed to Red China! A bit controversial but sometimes you just have to take courageous stands if you want to be a U. S. Senator from Tennessee. VOTE HAGERTY.

LeeAnn C. says:

Amen! And Ambassador Hagerty was invited by President Trump to put the country back in business! I want my Senator to be one that already knows how to work with others to get things done!

CollegeGrover says:

I am still waiting to hear what he said about China as Ambassador to Japan for 2 years? Not in some consultant packaged ad in the middle of a political campaign. They think the voters of Tennessee are idiots.

That’s the default assumption among campaign pros until the voters show that’s not the case. As for what he said about Red China when he was ambassador, I’m afraid you don’t quite understand the function of ambassador to a country. An ambassador from country A to country B is supposed to represent the government of country A to country B and to inform the government of country A about the positions of the government of country B as well as the political, economic, and social conditions extant in country B. Under no circumstances is he to opine about country C.

Come on CG, don’t be difficult. This senate race ain’t pretty and it’s not going to be so why don’t you just vote for Hagerty in August and Trump, Hagerty and Casada in November and call it an election.

Phil Lassiter says:

We are idiots We elected a democrat posing as a Republican for governor. We are amount to do he same with Senator. Full blown IDIOTS R US

Well, not exactly. Hagerty has a rich record of contributing to the Republican Party and Republican candidates since 1992. If you look at his contributions it paints a picture of a tepid conservative, not a Democrat. The Chairman has an even more anemic record that shows a politically ambitious Republican Establishment hanger-on who truly regards the voters as idiots as he runs playacting a conservative firebrand. Hagerty will be an obedient Trumpidian for the next four years that’s for sure which is more of a guarantee than we get with the Chairman Manny once the campaign ends. VOTE HAGERTY.

Mark Rogers says:

Stuart, so what you want in a Senator is a lackey? Good to know. What you want seems to be to let others make your decisions for you. I orefer freedom but if that works for you…

Perhaps Ambassador Hagerty will use some of the money he made working with his mentor, Mitt Romney, shipping American jobs to China and elsewhere, to help us through this crisis.

And sometime please explain how a candidate for delegate for Jeb Bush is an original Trump supporter. Going from Romney to Bush to Trump is like the 60 year old man who divorces his wife of 40 years to marry his 25 year old secretary and announces that he has found love for the first time. Hagerty may be a true believer but the timing looks suspiciously convenient.

No Mark, all I want is a senator who is a solid CONSERVATIVE. Unfortunately, neither candidate for senate in 2020 has a record that gives me any confidence that he is a solid conservative.

I am not a Hagerty supporter, rather I simply dislike the candidacy of Chairman Manny to such an extent that I will vote AGAINST The Chairman by voting FOR Hagerty. I’m also not a Trumpidian so I couldn’t care less how Hagerty really feels about Trump. As you rightly point out, Hagerty’s record shows him to have political convictions of the most slippery kind so characteristic of a centrist or even a tepid conservative Republican. Due to conviction or political convenience, however, Hagerty has tied himself to Trump which gives conservatives some hope that we are not going to be stuck with an Alexander/Corker type of centrist, at least during the four years of Trump’s next term.

Mark Rogers says:

Stuart, I had to post here because I cannot reply to your response.

What bothers you so much about Manny? I have known him for several years and can vouch for his character, his intelligence and his conservatism. His knowledge of medicine and public health will be invaluable as we go forward from the Coronavirus debacle. And he is independent of DC powerbrokers so that he will put us, the people of Tennessee, ahead of special interests. That is a huge contrast from Ambassador Hagerty who seems to have been handpicked by Mitch McConnell. We don’t need a Senator who’s first priority is to obey Mitch.

My reply has to begin by setting the field on which we are playing the game. I have known you for about twenty years and my recollection is that often when a Republican primary approaches and we compare notes my choice of candidate is to the right of yours. While I don’t doubt Chairman Manny’s intelligence and I have no reason to question his character, I do question his devotion to the conservative movement, your testimonial notwithstanding. What bothers me about The Chairman specifically is that he is running for one of the highest offices in the land with an anemic political record that shows him to be buddy buddy with Mr. “Moderate” Republcan Chip Salsman, former GOP Chairmen Bob Davis and Chris Devaney. A circle that bespeaks an Establishment Republican hanger-on which led him to be rewarded with chairmanship of the flagship Establishment fundraiser, The Statesmen’s Dinner in 2016. This is the record on which he has the audacity to run as this table pounding conservative zealot.

As a conservative I find all this infuriating, but there is some good that can come out all this after all. Almost inevitably conservative insurgent candidates running in the Republican primaries against Establishment centrist/tepid conservatives are woefully underfunded because plutocrats like Chairman Manny sit on their wallets or, most likely, support the Establishment candidate. Come election time lo and behold these same plutocrats suddenly appear running as these red meat throwing conservative stalwarts only to take office and serve as the centrist/tepid conservatives that they really are. Its a fun game, if your a member of the Republican Establishment, but I suggest to my fellow conservatives that we end the game this August. VOTE HAGERTY.

Donna Locke says:

Plus, we funded that Chinese lab.

Donna Locke says:

Now I know why I keep hearing Keith Moon on drums.

Tennessee Voter says:

And how does that help us recover from a health standpoint or from a financial one?! I am tired of the blaming and want solutions and public health safety, safe and adequate food supplies, and reserves that are able to meet disaster-created demands. This should not be about votes! The problem with all of this is how it has been politicized.

Impeach Bill Lee for violations of the TN constitution. Let people go about freely and allow everything to open immediately. That is how we recover health and financial.

Cannoneer2 says:

Have we forgotten how we ended up in bed with China in the first place? Businesswhiners who decided they could make more money by bypassing U.S. workers for much cheaper Chinese labor. Don’t forget that!

Bypassing US workers and their elevated wages/benefits, yes.

But also with the idea of enriching the average Chinese worker (1.4 Billion of them) so that he could shop at a Costco ( check out the proposed build-out for Costco in China over the next 5 years ) or buy an IPhone OR a Starbux latte.

Cannoneer2 says:

Elevated in the greedy business leaders’ eyes. Their sole concern was “Why should my executive cronies and I make $20 million when we can make $120 million?” There is/was exactly zero concern for workers in either country.

Elevated is not up for interpretation. If the Chinese worker’s salary is X and the US workers is 4 times as much then it is ELEVATED.

We are talking about the salary difference, among other considerations that are impacting manufacturers’ choice of China.

MARLE deep down don’t you feel bad complicating Cannoneer’s life by introducing him to things like economics when he obviously takes such pleasure in his class warfare fantasies?

Even less complicated than Econ. More like Vocabulary definitions and 3 grade, single digit multiplication.

Cannoneer2 says:

Ohh, my brain is hurting….

We imagined it would be. Thanks for confirming.

Nixon and Kissinger opened up China for US. Communist China and still is.

Jamey Dobbs says:

How can any candidate be talking about anything other than US ineptitude as current COVID 19 cases now top 650,833 and deaths reach almost 35,000? This is more cases than Italy, Spain, U.K, Germany and China combined! No other country is even close! See updated US and World data at https://ncov2019.live/data

I listened to the World Health Organization briefing yesterday. Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme said, “We alerted the world on January the 5th. Systems around the world, including the U.S., began to activate their incident management systems on January the 6th….The virus was identified on January the 7th. The [genetic] sequence was shared on the 12th with the world.”(NPR 4/15/20). How can anyone deflect from the colossal failure of our US president to implement mitigation measures earlier? I pray for all families whose loved ones are ill or lost their lives.