Letting the mask slip: Lee defends lack of face covering for Trump boat rally

(Image credit: Bill Hagerty campaign)

While Gov. Bill Lee has declined to issue a statewide mask mandate, he has been a prominent proponent of using face coverings to help stem the spread of COVID-19. But the governor was put on the defensive by a photo posted to social media by Bill Hagerty showing the Republican U.S. Senate nominee living it up at a Trump boat rally with Lee, U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais and state Sen. Janice Bowling.

The Lee administration is spending more than $4 million through the end of the year on its “Face It” multimedia ad campaign to urge mask usage.

“I think Tennesseans need to know, and they hear me every day and they see me in masks every day,” the governor said at a press conference this week. “They watch what we say and what we do. I think it’s really important that I think it’s very serious.”

About 3,000 people attended the 400-boat rally, according to the The Herald Chronicle.

33 Responses to Letting the mask slip: Lee defends lack of face covering for Trump boat rally

steve cates says:

The thing that noone seems to have pointed out to him ( and many Trumpsters also do not seem to realize this) is that the mask PROTECTS OTHERS!!!! He is a walking (potential) trip to the hospital for those near. What a weak -kneed ignoramus!

Robyn Mitchell says:

Please do your homework. Call OSHA. There was an OSHA representative on Nashville news that explains how that works. Masks do not prevent a small virus from going thru the fabric. Its like putting a pea thru the size of a nickel. It only stops spittle. Besides that CDC has put out so many changes in
      using a mask or no mask how would anyone know for sure. If your nervous about catching a cold, flu, stay home but don’t condemn others for not wanting to wear a mask. Signed an R.N.

LeeAnn C. says:

Others have the option of keeping themselves at least 6 feet away. I don’t wear a mask unless I’m going to be around people that don’t have a choice to move at least 6′ away. I keep one with me at all times, in case of limited surroundings.

McSwanson McSweeney says:

“There are circumstances where I don’t wear a mask because I don’t feel I’m at risk in that situation,” Lee said. “But, yeah, I felt safe. And when I don’t, I wear a mask.” … SMH. We don’t wear masks to protect ourselves. Just sigh, sigh, sigh. Sigh.

Missy s says:

A piece of cloth protects no one.

This is my understanding of the mask issue from what I have learned so please correct me if I am wrong. The extent to which you become ill with this Chinese flu is, all things being equal, determined by the amount of virus that enters your body. This virus is spread primarily by droplets in the air. While no ordinary face covering prevents the spread of the virus entirely, all face coverings impede the velocity of the droplets moving FROM the individual to those around him. Thus, indoors the better the face coverings, e.g. two layer better than one layer, the less of a range of the droplets, the fewer people who can breath in those droplets. I imagine that face coverings also somewhat even further protect the wearer as well but to much less of an extent.

Outdoors, however, unless one is EXTREMELY close to an individual for fifteen minutes or more I think the wearing of face coverings is absurd insofar as the droplets are quickly dispersed in the air before they can spread to another person. Thus, people on a boat should not reasonably have to wear masks so long as they are apart six feet. Of course, in the picture accompanying this article they have all been brought together for a picture for a few minutes. That’s ratchets up the risk a bit but it does not rise to pearl clutching level and Lee is right to say “no big thing.”

Where is the Hit piece on Nashville and the mayor and the Covid-19 coverup?

James, Erik is not quite as fast off the mark when one of his liberal pals is found to be in deep doo-doo. He is apparently sort of a “Method Blogger.” He needs his consciousness to activate certain psychological processes that are necessary to allow him to type an article on his keyboard and that takes time, a long, long time to happen when the topic concerns a liberal like John Cooper’s gross dereliction of duty whereas Glen Casada’s or Steve Gill’s misadventure finds Erik shooting out an article into the blogisphere before you can say “liberal media bias.”

Eddie White says:

I did not vote for Lee in the primary, in fact I was serving as campaign treasurer for one of his opponents. However, I do not believe he has acted as a tyrant. In fact the man James is calling a tyrant has decided to withhold millions of dollars requested by Mayor Cooper because he is not opening Nashville fast enough. There are some things I don’t like about Lee, but I find most of his policies to be conservative and I do not fault him for his willingness to share his faith.

Paul says:

We are certainly glad he’s “sharing his faith”, which appears to be to flap around in the wind whichever way it’s blowing, while speaking out of both sides of his mouth and hope no one notices. He seems to be getting led around by the legislature as well most of the time. The good news is that these guys are so muddled trying to turn Tennessee into some rapturous conservutopia, that they really don’t seem to be getting much of anything done…..lots of votes on stuff that gets thrown out in court, spend the taxpayers money to defend it and lose, throw out some red meat about “faith” to make everyone feel good. Rinse and repeat.

But Paul, you have let the wonderful part of being a productive/retiree taxpaying citizen living in Tennessee escape you. We have a part-time legislature that really meets for a little over two months out of the year and a weak governorship that leaves its citizens alone to enjoy life in freedom while confiscating relatively little of the citizens hard earned (or inherited having been hard earned by someone else) wealth. For that we should be eternally grateful and on guard against liberals messing it up.

I could lead a healthier life both physically and emotionally IF other people stopped committing crimes, stopped doing drugs and driving drunk, stopped looting and rioting, stopped having babies they can’t provide for, stopped squandering the free education available to them, stopped shoplifting, stopped being obese/diabetic, stopped smoking. BUT ………………….

We live in a country of people who persist in costly behavior to Me and to Themselves. How crazy to think we’d be able to stop Covid through people wearing a mask “to protect others”.

I don’t think the goal is to “. . . to stop Covid through people wearing a mask. . . ” rather I think the goal is to slow this highly contagious disease down so those of us who are not in the high risk category can get back to living and our economy can get back to functioning at a reasonable level while our hospitals don’t get overwhelmed until a vaccine and effective therapeutics are available.

Getting enough people to comply via altruist motivation is a fool’s errand. Canada (9X smaller than the US) had 145 people die of Covid between Aug 15 and Sept 15. We had 30 THOUSAND.

And just How “highly contagious” is this actually?

You had 100’s of thousands bikers and others come into a Sturgis, SD for a week long event in bars and elsewhere with no one wearing a mask or social distancing. And how many covid cases have emerged from this? To date……. 248.

When I was a mother with small children we would encourage them to play with friends during a neighborhood outbreak of measles and every child would get it. THAT is what “highly contagious” looks like.

Beatrice Shaw says:

All Republicans This is a terrible example to set. Attacking Mayor Cooper FOR doing what he thinks will protect people while allowing the hypocrites in that boat to do whatever they want.

Mayor Cooper has been following Trump White House guidelines. Not candidate Trump’s tweets.

Here lies our Sovereign Lord the King Whose word no man relies on He never said a foolish thing Nor ever did a wise one.” King Charles, merely amused by the slight, replied: “This is true, for my words are my own, but my actions are those of my ministers.”

Eddie White says:

TDS….

Taxpayer #314 says:

Listen to all these republicans tell us about how free we are in the USA right now – with 200,000 of our fellow citizens DEAD. They don’t understand anything that requires doing something strictly for someone else’s benefit. It is always about ME, ME, ME.

Wrong yet again Taxpayer. A few days ago I sent off checks of significant amounts to Chip Roy, Scott Perry, and in total six great U. S. House candidates “strictly for” the benefit of the recipient and the people of this country. I happen to be a Dissident Republican and I did it for THEM, THEM, THEM.

Taxpayer #314 says:

So you give your significant money to those politicians that you say “work two months out of the year and a weak governor that leaves his citizens alone.” That is the same non-government crap that the trump gang is trying to pass off as good government in Washington. The GOP has hollowed out the government and it doesn’t work in Nashville or Washington but you can just keep on dreaming.