It’s over: Lawmakers adjourn after strangely frantic end of session

The state Capitol was closed to visitors on March 16, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

A bizarre legislative session came to a close in the early hours of Friday. A last-minute deal to pass a sweeping  abortion ban caused the House and Senate to drop disagreements over the budget and wrap up their businesses.

The surprise nature of the decision to take up the bill after midnight (and behind closed doors) in the Senate, where leaders had earlier declared  it would not be taken up this year, is only likely to fuel legal questions about the measure.

24 Responses to It’s over: Lawmakers adjourn after strangely frantic end of session

Once again the destructiveness of judicial activism spews its poison in this case it’s Roe v. Wade that allows the legislative arm of the Chamber of Commerce, aka the Republican Party to throw a worthless bone to its base, the one-issue devotees of which lap it up, and its campaignin’s waitin’ and we gotta get to it. It would be funny if it weren’t so sad.

Cannoneer2 says:

Well said!

John says:

I’ll give Trump this much credit – he’s the only Republican president who actually did anything anti-abortion since Roe V. Wade. He nominated justices with the highest conservative think-tank scores who were supposed to finally make abortion a Class A felony. Who knew the Heritage Foundation and Federalist Society would be so liberal, or, as you put it, an arm of the Chamber?

Not that Stuart guy says:

Sigh, not the best way to create public policy: It’s 3am, I’ll trade you women’s rights for a cleaner budget.” “Done!” (Sound of gavel adjourning the GA.)

• What about the Constitutional Carry Bill. This was a flagship bill of the Gov. did it pass?

• Constitutional Carry failed. Lee is a failure. He threw the CC support out there early to get support on refugee and other liberal issues then did a BAIT AND SWITCH. Glad we are gonna re elect him

Michael Lottman says:

What a terrible, terrible end to a terrible, terrible session of the legislature. The worst since I have been involved in TN politics, and the coronavirus is no excuse. Too many Republicans, from our esteemed president on down, have used the pandemic for political purposes and to cover up their destructive actions and measures while most of the electorate was focused on trying to stay alive. From the White House to the Statehouse, Republicans need to be swept out of office this fall before they threaten the very foundations that have made our country great–and before their leaders get us killed by their grossly negligent and calculated inflammatory behavior. Even the ultra-conservative U.S. Supreme Court (and some courageous local judges) have concluded that enough is enough.

• I’m a Republican, but I fear they will be. I work for the State of Tennessee and I can tell you there is little confidence in the Governor with elected Republicans, But the rank and file State employee (mostly Dems) are ecstatic with the political climate. Just an observation

Eddie White says:

The problem that most of the media and the blog whiners have is not the process, it’s the subject matter. The legislature passed an anti-abortion bill.

Cannoneer2 says:

I see that the legal cover from Covid-19 that the businesswhiners coveted so badly didn’t pass…

Donna Locke says:

We need a return goods authorization number for Bill Lee.

Sorry Donna, I don’t think it works that way. In fact, given the proclivities of our fellow Tennesseans, baring his proposing an income tax he’s a lock for a second term. No, the only good to come of this is for those who fell for Chris Devaney’s orchestrated flim-flam and voted for No Record Candidate Lee don’t repeat their mistake by voting for the latest Chris Devaney creation Anemic Record Candidate Chairman Manny in August.

Cannoneer2 says:

I think back to the 90’s and smile when I think about how WONDERFUL Don Sundquist was, and listening to the Williamson County Republicans incessantly singing his praises, regardless of warnings about his shortcomings. Right up to the point when he proposed an income tax. Its all fun and games until your own ox gets gored.

THAT’S ME YOUR’RE TALKIN’ ABOUT CANNONEER2! I’m puzzled at your smile. Lying/spineless politicians aren’t unusual, think “Lips” Bush for example, and a perfect analogy at that, both Lips and Don committed political suicide via their lie so there was a happy ending to the story after all.

As I recall Don was a fine conservative congressman from the Seventh District when Williamson County was in the Sixth so he was much admired while we suffered with the forgettable Bart Gordon. When Don wanted to run for Governor it was perfectly natural for conservatives to be supportive of his candidacy. After a fine first term Tennessee found itself in a financial bind and for the first time in his political life Don felt under pressure and he couldn’t take it and it turned out that he was a stubborn ass to boot so he committed political suicide like so many Republicans before him and he became an anathema to conservatives because of his disingenuousness.

It wasn’t that he just “. . .proposed an income tax” but he became fanatical about it and put all of us through hell until we beat it back. He ran on a platform in which “no income tax” was a prominent feature then he became a lunatic about his determination to impose one. It wasn’t “ox goring” so much as it was brazen shooting his base the finger. Williamson County Republicans won’t stand for stuff like that!

Cannoneer2 says:

He wasn’t that great in his first term, or as the 7th’s representative, you just weren’t on the receiving end until the income tax rolled around. I grew up in the western end of the 7th.

As the Congressman from the Seventh, again as I recall, he was one of four Republican Congressmen from Tennessee and he and Van Hilleary were two pretty much tied as to who was the most conservative. Unfortunately I don’t have Heritage scores that go back to 1994 when Ed Bryant replaced Sundquist or I would rattle them off to you which, as you probably know, is one of my favorite things to do.

Cannoneer2 says:

Yes, I expected to see those ratings! In the early nineties, I called myself a Republican without any problem, and FWIW I don’t remember having any issues with Sundquist’s voting record in Congress. I think he did a good job. Handling issues around the district was another matter.

When it’s all said and done, the following two wonderful things came out of Sundquist’s mad determination to impose an income tax: (1) The hell that Don put us through going down to Legislative Plaza and driving around honking our horns and generally succeeding in making the lives of members of the General Assembly as miserable as we could as payment for their even considering imposing an income tax on us led to an amendment to the Tennessee constitution prohibiting such a thing so we don’t have to go through anything like that again and (2) The best for last is the fact that Tennessee discovered what we in Williamson County already knew viz. that Marsha Blackburn (Heritage-85%) was a conservative jewel who simply could not be denied higher office from what was at the time her position as Williamson County’s invaluable Senator in the State Senate.

• Double Amen

Name: Ed Bryant
          Congress: Tennessee, District: 7, Republican
          Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 55%
          Status: Former Member of the House
          Score Breakdown:
          50% (107th Congress: 2001-2002); 60% (106th Congress: 1999-2000)

q says:

Sunquist was about the same as Byrant. Both were Big spenders (talked conservative back home and Spent like a liberal in Washington)

• Pingback: Tennessee Senate Hurriedly Approves Major Abortion Bill Just Before Legislature Adjourns - Tennessee Star