Rep. Bryan Terry (R-Murfreesboro), standing right, confers with Reps. John Crawford (R-Kingsport), center, and Tim Rudd (R-Murfreesboro) on the House floor on May 1, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

House Health Chair Bryan Terry (R-Murfreesboro) is crediting his COVID-19 vaccination with potentially preventing him from hospitalization or even death when he came down with the coronavirus.

“I feel fortunate to have not contracted COVID before a vaccine was available,” Terry said in a release. “I have since contracted, and recovered from, COVID through what is called a ‘breakthrough infection’. With my health history, it could have been much worse. I’m convinced the vaccine protected my health and possibly saved me from an extensive hospitalization, or death. All Tennesseans, especially those with risk, need to talk to their doctor about getting vaccinated”.

Terry, who is a physician, said he had muscle and joint pains, fatigue, and other cold-like symptoms, “but I never developed the severe respiratory problems associated with COVID that I’m at risk for. I credit the vaccine for helping prevent major problems. I’m still not 100%, but I’m getting there.”

“I’ve never been under the illusion that I would never get infected even after vaccination. It’s just been my hope that, when I did get infected, I wouldn’t have a major reaction,” Terry said. “I’ve had medical and legislative colleagues that have had severe and deadly reactions. I’ve seen patients on ventilators and have bad outcomes. I don’t wish that on anyone. I know many folks don’t trust government, the media, or politicians, but most trust their doctor. It’s a conversation folks need to have.”

Read Terry’s full account here.

74 Responses to House health chair credits vaccine with preventing worse symptoms when infected by COVID-19

Let’s be realistic here. How many people, even those insured with deductibles, are going to spend the money to make an appointment to Talk with their doctor?

And to Thoroughly review a person’s entire medical history to make certain they have nothing in their past that would put them at risk for AN UNPROVEN vaccine with a slew of side effects would, if Done Right, take a lot of time.

So….to be realistic who, especially among the Unbelievers, is going spend momey and time do this?

Cryan says:

The RINOs colluded and came up with this taking point. 99.7 WTN just said your doctor “who knows your body better than anyone” will tell you to get a vaccine, and if you don’t trust them get a new doctor.

They’re between a rock and a hard place: Loud QAnons on Facebook vs. a dying base and an angry Chamber of Commerce.

They chose the Chamber, and this is the best they came up with. Why in the world would you make a Doctor appointment just to ask a question you already know the answer to?

Karen Bracken says:

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard coming out of the mouth of a supposed doctor. He sounds more like a drug rep.from big pharma. I guess he hadn’t looked at the deaths that have occurred from this vaccine. We have more deaths reported in 7 months from this one shot than ALL vaccine deaths combined over 30 years. And that doctor is s fact. You have no proof the vaccine prevented you from dying. NONE. If you took the time to read the EUA application of all 3 vaccines you would see in their own words there was no statistical difference between the vaccinated or unvaccinated and the cases of Covid. So basically your chances of getting COVID for both vaccinated and unvaccinated were the same. So we are supposed to shoot an experimental drug into our body when they clearly state there is no real benefit?. You sir need to leave the medical field and elected office. You are an embarrassment to both fields.

Thank you Karen!! Your input is always appreciated here. Lots and lots of valuable insight provided.

Cryan says:

Did you know Kerry Roberts dropped his opposition to vaccinating kids without parental consent? What do they have on him?

Cryan says:

I hope you didn’t vote for Bill Lee. He is pushing vaccines on freedom lovers like you.

Cannoneer2 says:

He still has no “standing” on health matters as far as I’m concerned. If I need an accountant or bicycle repair, I might give him a call….

Jeff says:

I mean, here is the EUA for Moderna, where, on page 23, in describing its RCT with 30,350 participants, Moderna writes in their own words that the vaccine significantly outperformed the placebo in preventing infection. Those in the placebo group were 18 times more likely to contract the virus than those in the vaccine group.

And here is a study in the New England Journal of Medicine showing the degrees of protection conveyed by the vaccine, finding that instances of infection, symptomatic infection, hospitalizations and severe disease all significantly decreased after the second shot. This could lead a “supposed doctor” to believe that the vaccine helped to reduce the likelihood that he be hospitalized, or died, because of the virus.

Since it’s a fairly non-busy day for me I actually read that link. All of it! And here’s the bottom line:

This study estimates a high effectiveness of the BNT162b2 vaccine for preventing symptomatic Covid-19 in a noncontrolled setting, similar to the vaccine efficacy reported in the randomized trial. Our study also suggests that effectiveness is high for the more serious outcomes: hospitalization, severe illness, and death. Furthermore, the estimated benefit increases in magnitude as time passes.

WHAT on earth was your point?

Jeff says:

Karen says insane, inaccurate stuff, I post stuff refuting her insane, inaccurate stuff.

you got the first half of that right. Karen always posts nutty stuff. Always. And it is a wonderful insight into how she and millions like her think. I always appreciate that.

Jason Wallflower says:

That’s patently false. Please, Karen, stop reading QAnon theories on the dark web.

Jonathan Swift says:

“We have more deaths reported in 7 months from this one shot than ALL vaccine deaths combined over 30 years.” Tell us some more fairy tales, Karen.

LeeAnn C. says:

Oh my, for anyone still on the fence of ‘should I or should I not get the vaccine’, I suppose this info might be of use. Dr. Terry is a board certified anesthesiologist so he might have credentials to make broad recommendations. I happen to agree with his recommendation that each individual consult with their personal physician. Since we get regular checkups with our doctors, I think a phone call is all we would need. I happened to ask my doctor when I was in for a checkup for her recommendation regarding the vaccine and mask usage. I followed her advice. For those that don’t want to talk to their doctor, it IS a free country and no one should mandate that consult. So weary of this topic!

An annual check up by no means reveals the multitude of conditions that might make an UNPROVEN vaccine with So many Known and UNKNOWN (micro chips inserted by Bill Gates, changing you DNA etc) Very Dangerous

That kind of work up would take hours of physician and Lab work. CYA is what that is all about and it also allows a person to say all kinds of negative things followed by “but talk to your personal doctor”.

Cryan says:

Yes indeed it is a FREE country and even FREER state. That’s why a private hospital like Vanderbilt in a Fire-At-Will state like Tennessee can mandate Covid vaccines.

God Bless the Chamber.

Cannoneer2 says:

Until I can order a bottle of whiskey from another state and have it mailed to me, or buy a bottle without the ridiculous legislatively demanded “markup” that Tennessee has, I’ll decline to sing praises about “freedom” here. And for those of you who sing praises to the Chamber, it is no different from a union, it’s just a union of businesses!

Eddie White says:

I agree with you LeeAnn. It is a tired subject and we have people on this blog who argue out of both sides of their mouth, I guess they have nothing better to do. I talked to my doctor while I was in for my annual physical yesterday. He strongly recommended it. Since he has a medical degree from The University of Tennessee, I think I will trust his advice. And since I have experienced Covid once, I don’t prefer to do it again.

Cannoneer2 says:

Vaccination is one of only a few good ways of getting out of this. Until people stop dying from it, Covid will be a subject of conversation, so deal with it.

Jackie Archer says:

You can read convincing material on why to get injected and you can read very convincing material on why you should not get injected.
    Weighing the evidence, I take into consideration what the purveyor of that material has to gain. I see no real payback for those professionals who advise to avoid the injection; only censorship, libel, and possible loss of livelihood.
    Now there are those who have nothing to gain who are proponents, but I count them among the growing percentage of fools.
    Resist or the republic is lost, along with out liberties.

There’s a solution for being tired of a subject: ignore it and busy yourself elsewhere. Who claims they’re tired and then goes on and on.

Cryan says:

They’re tired of Republicans looking bad. Same thing with Stuart. If they’re losing on an issue, they want all commentary shut down.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Or they just change the subject and tell you how wrong you are!

____________________________________
          Don’t forget to draw a line and start your comment in ALL CAPS. There’s no futility at all in trying to distract readers of a Tennessee politics blog with Washington DC think-tank ratings of Alaskan Senate candidates.

I know what you mean Taxpayer. Just today I read some leftist on this forum dealing with “Tennessee politics. government and legislative news” give us a breathtakingly riveting account of some political theatre going on in Washington, D. C. about some unarmed trespassers into the Capitol then, in the same post reported about an election outside of Ft. Worth where one Trump supporter defeated another Trump supporter and somehow tried to make that into a sign that Trump was losing influence and support.

The only thing I find odd is when leftists complain about individuals changing the subject in a thread when, in fact, leftists on this forum do it all the time. Nothing at all wrong with doing so, as far as I’m concerned, when something interesting about national politics happens that someone wants to call to the attention of the rest of us, but I think it would be best if those who do that sort of thing all the time not embarrass themselves by complaining when others do the same thing.

____________________________________
            FROM THE DESK OF DONALD JOHN TRUMP:

RINOs are ruining America, right alongside Communist Democrats.

Any comment on this attack from the 45th President, RINO Stu? He must have read the horrible things you wrote about him and his Trumpidians.

So it’s RINO’s and COMMUNIST Dems? Not garden variety Dems like the ones he funded for Decades?

Taxpayer #314 says:

The threads all tie together but you don’t make the connections, Trumps’ support is falling rapidly, all across the nation, I see it, you don’t…so be it.

The news out of CPAC, just weeks ago, was overwhelming support for Donald Trump. I watched our Senator marsha strut her stuff yelling support for Trump. Stuart tells us she has NO threat to her seat so she must be doing this because she WANTS to, not because she NEEDS to.

Her devotion to Trump is obvious, and being the strong conservative that Stuart knows she is, she’s a bell weather for slavish devotion.

AAPS Pushes Back Against AMA’s “Demand” that Everyone Get Vaccinated

[We] declare that all human beings have the right to liberty, which they do not forfeit when they serve the sick or the disabled.

The ethical commitment to protect others does not require workers to surrender their bodily integrity and self-determination and accept “the” intervention dictated by a governmental or quasi-governmental authority.

Cryan says:

You do know AAPS members have to sign a pledge to never accept any insurance? I guess you’re SOL if you want to get care from one of them. (like any of them practice medicine anyway 😂)

Do you even have a doctor?

Cannoneer2 says:

Do you know what AAPS members say to each other at conventions? Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack……

___________________________________________________________
    Good news on the redistricting front for Williamson County! I just saw a copy of a possible redistricting map and Williamson Cty will remain in the 7th District to continue to be represented by Marvelous Mark Green (Heritage-96%). The southern portion of Davidson Cty will be the 7th too. The new 5th District will comprise the northeastern portion of Davidson Cty then push north to encompass Robertson and northern Cheatem Counties along with Montgomery, Sumner and a few other counties along the Kentucky border. All and all, looks like a nice Republican district we’re going to be acquiring there. The southwestern part of Davidson Cty will by disposed of, er sorry, “placed” in the 6th District with a small portion across from La Vergne going into the 4th.

All in all, pretty neat don’t you think? To all my friends in this forum who live in the liberal ghetto of Nashville, change is nothing to fear, rather it is to be embraced.

Taxpayer #314 says:

It is called conservative creep, if it happens.

Oh, I forgot, Dickson Cty will be in the new 5th too.

Cryan says:

Congressman Carole Swain will never vote for McCarthy for Speaker.

Cryan says:

This is really amazing news for Democrats. Thanks, Stu. I didn’t think it would actually happen.

Mark Green:
        “What we don’t want to do is get greedy, and then four years from now as Nashville continues to turn blue, wind up worse off than we are. I’d love to contribute to retaking the House in that way, but I think we’re better off seven and two.”

How many Californians are moving to Williamson County again? He’s scared.

Speaker doesn’t have to be a member of the House. I think she’d vote for the My Pillow guy. Birds of a feather.

Cryan says:

That will be the next goal post after Trump isn’t inaugurated on August 13. They’ll find more damning evidence the election was stolen, but they won’t release it until after the midterms so Mike Lindell can become speaker.

See, he’ll be in the line of succession instead of McCarthy then. When Biden and Harris resign, MyPillow will be president and name Donald Trump his vice president. Then he’ll immediately resign, and Trump will be president again.

Trust the plan.

-Q

#WWG1WGA

Ah, speak of the devil.

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell — Tucker Carlson’s biggest sponsor — says he’s pulling ads from Fox News because it won’t air his commercial about an election-fraud symposium

That would pretty much leave 3AM infomercials, wouldn’t it?

Another thing to look forward to on the redistricting front is the fact that Steve “Mad-Man” Cohen’s (Heritage-8%) Ninth District is underpopulated because it is the slowest growing district in the state. That means when the General Assembly is redistricted some Democratic seats in Memphis might go and sort of be transferred to the fast growing Republican counties around Nashville. If its anything we need in the General Assembly is more Republican seats!

Cryan says:

Yeah, that’s all we need: more Family-Values Reps livin’ it up in our “liberal ghetto” away from the old balls and chain. By the way, why do their DUI charges always get dismissed?

___________________________________________________________
    Phil Valentine Update:

Doctors at Williamson County Medical Center are seeking emergency air transport to hospital with heart/lung machine. Checking bed availability. Covid hospitalization rate in Tennessee rising exponentially.

Freedom: Quo Vadis? What a crap shoot~ just in case freedom has a path in mind different from what You were thinking.

I didn’t know that Phil was over 60 as I was listening to him blithely calculating that if he gets the thing he wouldn’t get all that sick. Sorry folks, everyone is entitled to make his own calculations as to risk/reward in anything they do but I can’t think of how a 60+ year old man can conclude that the downside from getting this vaccine is any worse than the potential downsides of the disease that is afflicting many people in your own circle of friends. That’s just lousy odds evaluation!

And it seems like Vanderbilt has such a machine (EMCO). The GHETTO has a life saving machine. And those of us who live in the GHETTO pay higher property taxes so Tax Exempt hospitals like Vanderbilt can be financially free to buy the Equipment that those who live in the Garden of Eden (Williamson County according to Stuart) can come to the GHETTO when the chips are down.

You’re welcome.

ECMO

The reason that taxes are so high in leftist ghettos like Nashville is that they are governed by assorted leftists who do such irresponsible things so as to cause the ghetto to go into debt with its associated interest payments funding uneconomic projects and they make it attractive for so many lay-about shade tree people to hang around and raise the cost of law enforcement, etc. Vanderbilt can afford its high-tech machinery because it cost just under $60,000 per year to attend the undergraduate school, and they have a highly ranked hospital and I understand private hospitals make a buck or two so as to afford expensive equipment. To ascribe the equipment in Vandy hospital to the outrageous property taxes you pay because you choose to be governed by leftists constitutes an uncharacteristic self-congratulations which I don’t think is warranted. But at least you have one thing right, the only time most people from Williamson Cty would be caught anywhere near downtown Nashville is when “the chips are down” and our life was in danger so we had no other choice.

You really do need to get out more, Stuart Your Williamson folks are all the time dining out in the Gulch and going to night spots downtown. Most are not holed up 24/7 like you are.

But I’d love it if some legislator advocated for hospitals and other Non-profits to start paying property tax and collecting Sales tax on Each Dollar of service they provided (like plumbers, repair shops etc etc etc) are forced to. THEY certainly shouldn’t mind since its a mere Pittance.

Taxpayer #314 says:

I am not sure where Stuart “learned” his economic “facts” that he comes out with all the time, but it wasn’t in any approved school of thought. He always jumps in with some weird explaination of how he got there. He hates any public services that go to assist the poor, unemployed or underemployed hard working people in any cities. He believes that every poor person is a dead-beat layabout. His way is always “better.”

Cannoneer2 says:

Speaking of COVID 19, did we taxpayers pay any, some or all of Rep. David Byrd’s salary this year for his part time job that he did not attend at all this year?

In this day and age I think collecting your pay while you’re ill and recovering from that illness is pretty much expected with any professional position rather than an extravagant cutting edge employee benefit. As to his part time job the last time I looked state legislators only were paid $24,316 a year. Part-time salaries for a part-time job. Is there a problem here? Now if he collected his $284 per day per diem, then we have something to complain about.

Look at you all on board with doing things as they currently ARE in because they are happening in “this day and age”. Good for you Stuart. That’s at the heart of every sob sister give away the government is Currently doing. “This day and age” as distinguished from “that day and age” IS how we do all the things I thought you were basically opposed to. This is how you get all those charges of “talking out of both sides of your mouth” and the RINO charge.

Has nothing to do with my preferred economic or social policy. It was simply a reply to Cannoneer about poor David Byrd (ACU-83%) commenting about the latter getting what is an ordinary employee benefit as if he was the beneficiary of some corrupt scheme. Sort of like someone excitedly discovering that after my retirement I chose to start actually receiving a pension from my former employer that will pay me like clockwork every month for the rest of my life without my having to do a stitch of work and to which I contributed not a dime during my working years. Calling attention to an ordinary employee benefit received by a REPUBLICAN lawmaker as if it was something out of the ordinary always deserves comment by a watchful conservative such as myself.

Everybody’s got their pet exceptions that they don’t speak out against offering the excuse that it’s “This day and Age”.

It’s about time for you to throw in the phrase “micro-analyzing” or you could turn the Candyland board upside down and walk away.

Taxpayer #314 says:

What about all those Republican Lawmakers that ARE cheating the system and receiving benefits that others are not getting, why don’t “watchful conservatives” ever talk about them?

___________________________________________________________
    Phil Valentine update:

Phil’s kidneys are not doing well. Please pray for his kidneys

Phil has not been placed on ECMO. No availability at Vanderbilt. Not stable enough to be transported elsewhere.

I’m pretty sure ECMO isn’t just something you wait around for. Sounds like his organs are dying. I hope transplant doctors/committees make wise choices and if they chose him for a transplant, I hope he truly has had a change of heart (no pun intended) on spreading anti-science propaganda.

You really “owned the libs”, Uncle Phil. I hope it was worth it.

Cryan says:

In addition to COVID-19, he is dealing with pneumonia, a secondary infection, irregular heart rate, AFIB, kidney failure, and uncontrolled blood pressure. The family has removed all health updates from public view.

NO MORE COMMENTS ON THIS BLOG!

I knew it. You leftists have been so nasty that Erik decided that he has had enough of it. Doesn’t surprise me at all.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Just when all the Republican lies are being turned over and found to be just that _ LIES, then they take away the right to comment on these stories. I remember a fantastic line from a great movie that says: You Can’t Handle the TRUTH. Bye!

Those ( something I never did )who complained. Didn’t suggest one time that he out identities or curb comments. Not on this blog nor to an email address. Tired of the complaints from the whiners.

Cryan says:

Whiners, professional victims, and the true perpetrators of Cancel Culture: hypocritical Trump voters.

“If you don’t support me, you’re going to be so g–damn poor.”
      —Donald J. Trump

No doubt done to avoid being named in that threatened, earth-shattering Colloidal Silver Libel Suit……a perennial whiner who expected Erik to check each and every comment and purge the “lies being told about her”. That and the constant effort to disallow anonymous commenters.

Cryan says:

I can’t wait to read her NYT bestseller.
          Now, I am going to say another prayer for the Valentines and then open Word and get back to my novel. 🙄

Speaking of profane vulgarians…
          Cheney at 80% is pretty thin gruel indeed and she is a pain in the ass to boot. – Stuart I. Anderson July 23, 2021

Oh, well. Good luck dealing with the crazies in your party, MARLE. It’s a struggle for us, too. Nice knowing you stranger.

Another casualty of the grievance industry probably.