House Freedom Caucus endorses Hill in 1st District

Rep. Timothy Hill (R-Blountville) confers with House Speaker Beth Harwell (R-Nashville) March 29, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

The House Freedom Caucus is endorsing and raising money for Timothy Hill bid for the Republican nomination to succeed retiring U.S. Rep. Phil Roe (R-Johnson City) in the 1st District.

Here’s what the House Freedom Fund had to say about Hill, who is giving up his state House seat to run for Congress:

Timothy is a small business owner with a proven record of fighting for lower taxes, less spending, the 2nd Amendment, and the sanctity of life.

He is the conservative choice in this race who will stand proudly with President Trump and fight the liberal policies promoted by Nancy Pelosi.

This election is in a very strong Republican district so the August 6 primary will determine who wins this seat in November. Please help push this principled leader on to victory.

Hill is one of 16 Republicans running for the seat, including state Kingsport Mayor John Clark, Sen. Rusty Crowe of Johnson City , former Johnson City Mayor Steve Darden, Kingsport pharmacist Diana Harshbarger, and state Rep. David Hawk of Greeneville.

Harshbarger has been the biggest spender so far, dropping most of her $231,500 in expenditures on TV ads.

Clark has announced he wouldn’t seek more than three terms in Congress.

“I’m not a career politician, and as Mayor of Kingsport, I limited myself to two terms in office because I didn’t believe it was a job for one person forever,”  Clark said in a release. “I feel the same about Congress. Our Founding Fathers wanted Washington, D.C. to be a place that public servants visited for a brief period of time, did the people’s work, and went back home to live under the laws they had made. I hope by signing the term limits pledge I can encourage others, including my opponents, to take the same approach.”

33 Responses to House Freedom Caucus endorses Hill in 1st District

Well, well the great Timothy Hill (ACU-88%) has had one heck of a week. First, after doing exhaustive due diligence over the weekend I decided that Timothy is indeed the best candidate to succeed the mediocre Phil Roe (Heritage-70%). Always being one to walk-the-walk as well as talk-the-talk I sent Timothy a campaign contribution on Tuesday. Today, the campaign finance arm of the House Freedom Caucus endorsed Timothy for the First District seat as well they should. Conservatives can therefore look forward to Timothy joining Scott DesJarlais and Mark Green as members of that great organization.

As for John Clark, does he believe in anything and has he done anything to further those beliefs or are First District voters facing another No Record Candidate who is singing from the No Record Candidate Hymnal that old favorite “I’m Not a Career Politician.” Perhaps the Mayor can impress voters with his particular deft location of traffic lights in Kingsport while Timothy can discuss his consistent conservative voting record in the House over the years.

Perry Aubric says:

Stuart, no one gives a damn about your silly, irrelevant “scores” from some axe-grinding fringe group, and no one gives a damn who you “decided” would be a good candidate in the First District. Do you even live there?

Oh dear, what bad news. But Perry, you really shouldn’t spend all your time doing exhaustive polling as to what people think of the scores which are so valuable in judging the ideology of legislators or my particular opinion of the candidates. It’s nice of you to give us the results of your polling nevertheless.

As a matter of fact I don’t live in the First District, but Perry – this may be hard for you to understand but a vote of the Representative from the First District of Tennessee, or any district in the country, effects me just as much as a vote from my own outstanding Representative Mark Green. The chance to have a great conservative like Timothy Hill (ACU-88%) replace a mediocrity like Phil Roe (Heritage-70%) naturally excites me as a conservative. Apparently, you find that surprising Perry but I really hope you can understand.

• Pingback: Timothy Hill Scores First Major Endorsement In Race For Congress From House Freedom Fund

Donna Locke says:

I would vote for David Hawk if I lived there.

Come on Donna, don’t be a tease, please tell us why.

Donna Locke says:

Stuart, David Hawk has been in the legislature a long time, long enough that I feel he is a dependable vote on immigration enforcement issues.

Donna Locke says:

The Freedom Caucus’s endorsement of Hill is just another reason to ignore the claims of that caucus in the future.

Ignore the Freedom Caucus led by such conservative heart throbs like Jim Jordan, and Andy Biggs? Come on Donna, stop kidding around!

(BTW, did you see how President Blow-Hard after announcing this big Executive Order restricting immigration into this country yesterday, issued the order today ever so carefully carving out H-1b and H-2b visas so that the order only effects about 10% – 20% of the immigrants coming into this nation. Rest easy Donna, the Chamber of Commerce, as usual, will get most of their cheap labor pandemic and massive American unemployment or not.)

Donna Locke says:

Yeah, Trump is always motioning behind his back for more foreign workers to flood in while he affects his tough-on-immigration look for the cameras. Immigration controllers are well aware of it.

Eddie White says:

Don’t worry boys and girls about immigration, the Biden Administration will give you that real crackdown that Trump has so disappointed you in. I believe Biden will continue building the wall, expand the travel bands, reduce the number of visas, and stop all temporary workers. The whining continues.

Perry, just remember, Stuart says one thing and does another. Do like I say, not like I do.
    Perry, you nailed it.

LeeAnn C. says:

David Hawk is an excellent choice! After the recent shenanigans in former Speaker Casada’s shameful departure and the failed Hill brothers vote purchase of the Speaker position for Matthew, this Hill brother has no business in DC!

Certainly as a conservative law and order advocate if anyone does something illegal I think they should be prosecuted. There are no reports of either Hill brother being subject to indictment or prosecution of any kind for violation of the law. If the Hill brothers did something that should be against the law then the law should be changed to make what they did illegal. There have been no attempts to so change the law. It therefore seems to me that once again we have a media hyped tempest in a teapot designed to distract the voters from much more important matters.

For example, when faced with two stalwart conservatives like Timothy Hill and David Hawk with fine conservative voting records for a number of years service in the General Assembly it comes down to who you can more trust to maintain their conservative record when they move into the U. S. House. From my discussion with a number of individuals who know both Timothy and David rather well they both unhesitatingly felt that they would more rely on Timothy to resist the leftward gravitational pull that so often inflicts conservatives when they get to Washington. Apparently the House Freedom Caucus after doing their own due diligence agrees.

I have every confidence that both Timothy and David would be a dramatic improvement over Phil Roe and both would continue to rightward march of the Republican delegation that we send to Washington. What is important is that one of them prevails rather than one of the No Record Candidates who will also be on the ticket in the Republican Primary this August.

Donna Locke says:

Get a refund and support Hawk.

And that No Record Candidate is Hagerty. Your man. Your vote. You are a hypocrite.

Now James you know better. As I have written many times, Hagerty is by no means my man, it’s simply that Chairman Manny is even less of my man than Hagerty. The senate race presents conservatives with a Hobson’s choice so what we should do is vote for Trump and Hagerty but send money to Timothy Hill. Timothy is my man!

The freedom caucus has devolved into irrelevance

LeeAnn C. says:

Yes. They lent their support to former Representative Judd Matheny in the 6th congressional district. He did not compete well against John Rose (another no-record candidate). John Rose had much deeper pockets and a lot of loyalty due to his involvement in the Ag Industry. Freedom Caucus support meant NOTHING to the voting population, nor did Judd’s strong conservative voting record.

Conservative voters ALWAYS make a mistake when they choose a No Record Candidate over a proven conservative, that’s just a matter of common sense. It just so happens that we all lucked out with John Rose (Heritage-96%) . That is no slur on the House Freedom Caucus nor does it show any particular wisdom on the part of the majority of voters in the Sixth District. Judd was the rational conservative choice and rationality is most often preferable to relying on luck.

Eddie White says:

I would encourage the Republican primary voters in the 1st District to carefully review the 16 candidates and vote for a conservative who will support President Trump’s America First agenda. Find out if the candidate supported President Trump’s stimulus package. You want a strong conservative, but not a representative who has his own agenda.

I don’t think it’s that much of a jump ball Eddie. Only Timothy Hill, David Hawk, and Rusty Crowe have an actual record of casting votes in a legislature with all the pressures that entails that show over a number of years that they are a conservative. It is highly unlikely that any of the 16 candidates seeking the Republican nomination with their professional campaign entourage in tow would issue a statement indicating that they are liberals who loath President Trump and all he stands for.

Reviewing the 16 candidates by savoring the nonsense put out by their professional campaign staff on the basis of polling done by professional pollsters is a glorious waste of time. Rather, in a race for a high office like U. S. Representative the candidate’s record preferably in a relevant office or his political record as a private citizen is of utmost importance. Of the sixteen, only Timothy Hill, David Hawk, and Rusty Crowe have such a relevant record that I have seen so far. I just hope they don’t all split the conservative vote thus clearing the way for a towny Phil Roe reasonable facsimile.

• Pingback: Thursday, April 23

Our Founding Fathers DID want public servants to pass laws and come home to “Live UNDER them”

What they have most often done is pass laws that they come home to “Live OFF of”

Benton Temple says:

Lol. Yeah this endorsement did so well for Judd “Career Politician” “Third Place” “Loser” Matheny in 2018.

Donna Locke says:

I would have voted for Judd. Judd took some conservative fiscal stands in the legislature almost by himself on some votes. He was dependable on immigration enforcement issues as well. One of the best ones on that.

You have to be suspicious of the candidates the business lobby supports, and pay attention to the candidates the business lobby tries to drown. Not all business owners, etc., are so short of sight on immigration and imported-worker issues; I’ve heard from a number of them.

The LOL of the uninformed. Endorsements from a conservative organization like the House Freedom Caucus are not designed to pick a winner. Rather they are designed to let voters know who has the record that should give them the most confidence that the candidate will go to Washington and vote in accordance with the views of the conservative movement.

Judd Matheny was obviously the correct choice for conservatives in that race. The voters were wrong in voting for two No Record Candidates rather than Judd. Thankfully we lucked out with John Rose (Heritage-96%) so we lost nothing so far by Rose winning instead of Judd. I prefer to rely on a candidate’s past record rather than luck.