Here’s what Trump told donors at his Nashville fundraiser

The Washington Post has the details of what President Donald Trump told donors at a high-dollar fundraiser in Nashville before the final presidential debate last week.

The president said he expected Republicans to have a difficult time keeping control of the Senate, though he expressed confidence the GOP would claw back a majority in the House. He repeated the latter prediction (which isn’t shared by polls or conventional wisdom) during the debate itself.

“I think the Senate is tough actually. The Senate is very tough,” the Post quoted Trump as saying at the event at the new J.W. Marriott in downtown Nashville. “There are a couple senators I can’t really get involved in. I just can’t do it. You lose your soul if you do. I can’t help some of them. I don’t want to help some of them.”

Jesse Hunt, a spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee, said there’s no evidence the president isn’t supporting certain Republican candidates.

“The Republican-led Senate and President Trump have had a great partnership over the last four years, highlighted by the fact the chamber is poised to confirm a third Trump Supreme Court nominee in the coming days,” Hunt told the paper. “Nancy Pelosi has turned the House into a liberal nightmare and if Chuck Schumer gets control of the Senate, he’ll do the same thing.”

Republicans have a 53-47 advantage in the Senate, meaning Democrats would need four seats to take control if Trump wins next, or three if the Biden prevails as the vice president serves as a tie-breaking vote.

The Post says Trump aslo bashed the news media, House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), and Democrats for being obsessed with Russian disinformation. Nobody asked any tough questions from audience members, one of whom praised the president for taking on the “medical swamp” over COVID-19.

28 Responses to Here’s what Trump told donors at his Nashville fundraiser

Beatrice Shaw says:

$250,000!!??!! for a FUND RAISER?!! You could remodel a school. or give 25 teachers a RAL raise….or send someone to college or feed a community for a YEAR. Instead…wasted on this event. So much for health care and a real living wage with Republican in office

Leeann C says:

No worries! People that have that kind of expendable income are typically very generous to charitable causes. Plus, support for President Trump is support for getting quality education to every child, regardless of their zip code!

Tim Skow says:

Beatrice ! Your WHINING is sooooooo hypocritical !!Have you any WHINING to offer about Michael Bloomberg spending $100,000,000 in Florida for Biden? Good Lord ! Biden has spent nearly $600,000,000 on TV ads alone! Where is your WHINING about the mega-$$$ that Biden has raised and spent??? #JustAnotherLiberalHypocrit

Donald got this one right! The Republican in close races in the Senate are a most unimpressive lot to the extent that despite the uphill climb the Republicans are going to have to keep the Senate I didn’t send a dime to any of them. Tom Tillis (Heritage 63%), Lindsey Graham (55%), Joni Ernst (68%), Cory Gardner (66%), even John Cornyn (70%) etc, etc, A lineup only the Chamber of Commerce could love. If Trump could pull out a victory I wouldn’t be heartbroken to see Republican lose the Senate if we can be rid of these Chamber shills so Republican voters can have a chance to nominate stalwart conservatives to take their place.

I believe the Donald was referring to Sasse, Collins etc not the ones you mentioned esp his adoring Lindsey.

Now we are engaged in trying to read Trump’s mind – tough way to begin the week. Lindsey’s doing nothing for over a year to investigate Obama’s eavesdropping on the Trump campaign surely doesn’t make Graham one of Trump’s favorites. Graham’s having a 55% Heritage score coming from South Carolina when Tim Scott has an 84% makes me want to see Graham beaten if it won’t cost Republicans control of the Senate.

R U kidding me? Tim Scott’s 94 score came as a result of 8 votes …3 of which were against abortion; 1 was to Not impeach Trump; and 1 was to remove the Debt Ceiling. And you’re impressed with scoring votes on these issues? That is why Heritage scores meaning nothing.

Tim Scott’s lifetime score with Club For Growth is 86% – no social issues in that one. Heritage 84%, Club 86% seems pretty consistently mainstream conservative to me.

If they count removing the debt ceiling as good, they have flawed scoring procdures.

BTW, Freedom Works gives Tim Scott an 83%. Again, mainstream conservative. Let’s not lose sight of the fact that we are comparing all of those Tim Scott ratings to the ones received by Lindsey (“Lamar”) Graham (Freedom Works-58%). There is no excuse for Lindsey to be as liberal as he is and thus I will be overjoyed if he is finally turned out of office so he can be replaced in six years by another Tim Scott.

Answer the question Stuart……did Tim Scott’s vote This Session to raise the debt ceiling contribute to him getting a mid-90’s score or didn’t it. And did his 3 votes on abortion and 1 vote Not to Impeach do likewise?

You’re looking at his score for the current session of Congress which I never do unless the legislator is a freshman. I always quote lifetime scores which in Tim’s case is Heritage-84% which is in line with his scores from other conservative organizations that don’t count votes on social issues like abortion.

I have confidence in your research abilities so I am willing to grant that his 94% score this term includes the votes that you mentioned. That does not in any way contradict the point that I was making that unlike Susan Collins and Cory Gardner, Lindsey has no excuse for his 55% Heritage score as a Senator from South Carolina other than the fact that he doesn’t happen to be a conservative so I will just happen to not shed a tear if he gets beaten so long as the Republicans maintain control of the Senate.

BTW, Tim’s been in the Senate since 2013 so that 84% is a score he has compiled over seven years worth of votes.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Tim Scott has some skeletons and is not a good man

I know Beatrice. He’s a courageous Negroe who votes conservative. MY LORD, how unsettling that must be to knee-jerk leftist like you.

Actually, on calmer reflection, I injected race into a conversation that had nothing to do with race when I am the first one to criticize letists and liberals when they do that sort of thing. My bad. I apologize.

Beatrice Shaw says:

it is indeed systemic

Thanks for accepting my apology with you usual graciousness. Since apparently you’ve decided to serially embarrass yourself today can you cite one other example of whatever you found to be “systemic” and if you can’t will you apologize?

Tim Scott your impressive Heritage score getter says there is systemic racism. Now maybe you know more than he about a “day in the life” but I think I’ll take his word on this one.

Yes, there is “systemic racism” against Caucasian males with hiring quotas, easier admissions for minorities less qualified than Caucasian males to schools, project set-asides for minority and female owned companies, etc. If that’s what he’s talking about then I agree with Tim and we should end all of that “systemic racism.” If he is talking about “systemic racism” against minorities since about 1970 he’s wrong. Tim can be wrong, he only has a Heritage score of 84% which means he is wrong about 16% of the time.

Nancy K. Corley says:

Is no one at all concerned about the influence being bought with such a large donation to a fund-raiser???
    This is equally true for Democrats fundraisers as well as Republicans, liberals fundraisers as well as conservatives. NO ONE makes that BIG a donation unless he expects something BIG in return!!

How nice, a “clean government” advocate giving an even-handed fair commentary. Haven’t had one of those in these parts for a long, long time. Thank-you Nancy for showing the other “clean government” types how it’s done.

Taxpayer #314 says:

The corrupt republican party is totally responsible for passing the invitation to open up the secrete, huge money flow that “allows” large sums of hidden, non traceable money into politics in the USA.

• Pingback: Tuesday, October 27

Phillip Lassiter says:

Don’t hate it…. lap it up. Create a PAC or a campaign ‘consulting’ firm modeled after an upstanding citizen like Gregory Gleaves Just follow him and a few other to the trough, take a full loaf of bread and some to go bags and make your living.