Former U.S. Ambassador Bill Hagerty has spent much of his Senate bid hammering home the point that he has been endorsed by President Donald Trump —  a fact that’s been featured prominently on campaign signs and in TV and radio ads. But not in his latest one-minute spot, titled “What Makes America Exceptional.”

The ad features Hagerty talking to the camera about growing up raising livestock and working on road crews when he was in college. He then discusses his time as state economic and community development commissioner and as U.S. ambassador to Japan.

“No one loves this nation more than I do,” Hagerty concludes. “I want that same opportunity for your children and grandchildren, just like I want them for mine. That’s why I’m running for United States Senate.”

On the face of it, it’s a fairly run-of-the-mill biographical ad, the sort one might expect to run early in a campaign to introduce a candidate to the voters. But this ad comes with just three days remaining before the primary election after weeks of attack ads slamming his main rival for the nomination, Vanderbilt surgeon Manny Sethi.

The last advertising push comes as Hagerty has tapped his line of credit by another $800,000 in recent days to bring his total debt to $3.3 million. Sethi has also gone back to his own checkbook, adding $300,000 to the $1.93 million he had previously loaned his campaign.

The transcript of Hagerty’s latest spot follows:

I’m a fourth-generation Tennessean. I was raised in Sumner County, we had a small farm there.  We didn’t have a lot. My mom was a career school teacher, my father worked road construction. They taught us strong, conservative Tennessee values. They taught us to love Christ. They taught us to love our country.

I learned the value of hard work from an early age. I raised cattle and pigs. When I worked my way through school and college, I was on the road crew.

I’m a business leader, who’s had real-world experience. During the last recession, I was called in to run the Department of Economic Development for our home state of Tennessee. We were named the state of the year for economic development, two years in a row.

As the U.S. Ambassador to Japan, I represented America to the third-largest economy in the world. I’m a product of the American Dream.

No one loves this nation more than I do.  I want that same opportunity for your children and grandchildren, just like I want them for mine. That’s why I’m running for United States Senate. To stand up for what’s made America exceptional.

17 Responses to Hagerty’s latest ad remarkable for what it doesn’t include (hint: it’s that guy who endorsed him)

Mark Rogers says:

Too bad his parents didn’t teach him the value of telling the truth.

Ads change as the campaigns change. Hagerty has conveyed the message that he is endorsed by Trump (true) and that Chairman Manny isn’t a conservative (true, but not for the reasons in Hagerty’s ads) so now we have the “man of the people” angle.

Ads are for low information voters, not those who read and respond to political blogs. Nothing has changed for informed conservatives in this race since it first began. Dr. “CONSERVATIVE-OUTSIDER’s” campaign is a fraudulent enterprise. There is no record of his having the slightest interest in the conservative movement before he declared his candidacy and The Chairman has been deeply involved with the Republican Establishment for years. Conservatives should show they won’t be fooled by voting AGAINST Chairman Manny by voting FOR Hagerty.

Mark Rogers says:

Stuart, when did you become the arbiter of what is and isn’t ‘conservative?’ Did you ascend to the mountain and receive tablets from Edmund Burke?

I think that working privately to keep teens from using violence against each other is conservative. I think building a privately funded non profit that provides health care to thousands of people who desperately need it is conservative.

OF COURSE YOU DO MARK!!!!! That’s because you apparently are not a political conservative so you conflate and confuse works of charity with being a political conservative. The problem with all of that is that Chairman Manny is not running for “Nicest Guy in Williamson County/Tennessee/USA he is running for the United States Senate a POLITICAL position.

I repeat. Dr. “CONSERVATIVE-OUTSIDER” is not a conservative and he is not an outsider. Conservatives should punish him for running a fraudulent campaign and to teach a lesson to “conservative” candidate wannabees that “WE WON’T BE FOOLED AGAIN! NOOOOOOOO!.”

If he’s relying on a base made up of Informed Conservatives ( and at this point I’m adding that to my list of oxymorons) he has a misguided strategy.

Not that Stuart guy says:

At this point it may not matter much. The way the President is drowning the Republican Party in a morass of ridiculous tweets, directionless administration and mass death, the new US Senator from Tennessee will likely be riding the back bench and voting “no” on lots of Biden-backed/Schumer written bills. Unless James Mackler pulls off the miracle of the century. (Well, let’s not kid ourselves, but a boy can dream!)

While you’re dreaming NtSg be careful because dreams can turn into nightmares. For example, Biden can’t string three or four sentences together without making it frighteningly apparent that he is suffering from the early symptoms of dementia and he is yet to choose the shrew who will by his pick to be Vice/Co President. Now what happens when the pros in the Trump campaign make Biden’s frailties and the nightmare of his V. P. choice taking over a bright neon sign for the American people?

Beatrice Shaw says:

We definitely need at least ONE Democratic Senator from Tennessee so we won’t down in the Trump morass and will have a lifeline to some real Federal programs. Higher teacher pay (median pay of $80k), free education thru Master’s, free health care and a trust to be set up (for top 2% to fund) for future payments to level out inequalities.

Charles says:

Trump wouldn’t allow his campaign to attack Biden’s sentence structure, would he? No. Not when Trump is even worse with his rants.

Charles, the American people by and large are not as well informed as they should be but I think/hope you make a mistake in thinking they are as dumb as a stump. No one is grading candidates like a high school English teacher on sentence structure. Most will be concerned, however, when a candidate serially can’t find the words to complete a sentence so that the sentence makes sense, doesn’t know the city he happens to be in when speaking, misidentifies members of his own family, etc., etc. You don’t have to have a PhD in psychology or be a professional gerontologist Charles to know that Biden simply isn’t mentally fit to be President and you can rely on the Trump campaign to call that to the attention of the American people along with the far left policy prescriptions he’s stuck with that will weight his candidacy down like a rock.

Eddie White says:

I think this is Hagerty’s best ad. He should have put that foot forward early in the campaign.

Donna Locke says:

Hagerty is just another one always bent on representing foreign nationals, not Americans.

Jim W. Horner says:

WHY I WILL NOT VOTE FOR HAGERTY, No3
    Trump hardly knew Hagerty but Hagerty’s good buddy Romney, Alexander, Haslam, McConnell knew to tell Trump Hagerty was their man. Of course, it helped Hagerty a lot when Hagerty and friend raised about one million dollars for Trump general election, which helped get Hagerty’s appointment to Japan ambassador. Alexander was glad to help Hagerty because Hagerty hired his son to work for him at
    Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development
    So folks there you have it….how Trump gave his support to Hagerty. A vote for Hagerty is just another vote for Alexander & Corker & Romney!

Jim, great story, now how about another tale as to how Chairman Manny, super-duper conservative as per his campaign ads, sent campaign contributions to Bob Corker (Heritage-63%) and Sen. Cindy Smith (Heritage-62%).

• Pingback: What To Watch For In Tennessee’s Primary | FiveThirtyEight