Hagerty to hold telephone town hall with Trump economic adviser Kudlow

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty speaks at Nashville event on Dec. 3, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty is holding a telephone town hall on Wednesday with with Larry Kudlow, the national economic council director for President Donald Trump.

Here’s the release from the Hagerty campaign:

Nashville, TN — As our nation’s leaders continue to prevent the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus, Bill Hagerty, candidate for U.S. Senate, announced today he will be hosting a telephone town hall with President Trump’s National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow to talk about the Wuhan coronavirus and our nation’s economy. The telephone town hall will be held on Wednesday, March 25th at 11:30 am EST/10:30 am CST.

“I am honored National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow will be able to answer questions from Tennesseans on how the administration is working to stabilize our economy and help small businesses, employees, and families in the weeks ahead,” said Bill Hagerty. “Director Kudlow is well-known for his commitment to cutting taxes and repealing burdensome regulations. In the Senate, I will work with Director Kudlow and President Trump to ensure our Tennessee businesses have the resources they need to expand and create jobs once this foreign virus is eradicated.”

National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow continued, “Under President Trump’s leadership, our economy reached new highs and unemployment set record lows which has put the administration in a strong position to provide assistance and help to alleviate financial stress for small businesses and families as we all work to prevent the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus. The Administration is working hard to help Tennesseans recover from deadly storms, prevent the spread of the coronavirus and alleviate financial stress for your small businesses and families. I look forward to answering your questions with my friend Bill Hagerty who has the complete and total endorsement of President Trump. We need him in the Senate.”

Hagerty earned President Trump’s “complete and total” endorsement to be Tennessee’s next United States Senator while serving as the U.S. Ambassador to Japan. To learn more about Bill Hagerty, visit  www.teamhagerty.com.

52 Responses to Hagerty to hold telephone town hall with Trump economic adviser Kudlow

• Really? Wuhan coronavirus? Racists much?

Wuhan is a city in the Hubei province of China not a race. Where ever did you go to school?

steve cates says:

The intent is clear and the message sent to 45 is even more clear!!!

Of course, with so many viruses that have been inflicted on the world in recent years the intent is to identify the particular virus he is talking about which, unlike the Spanish Flu, actually came from the City of Wuhan for which it was named. I admit it’s not always so clear cut Steve. For example liberals like to move political conversations, almost any political conversation, to a conversation about race because they simply want to stir the more gullible members of minority groups up with identity politics and they prefer to avoid substantive conversations about the politics of the day.

China is an Economic threat to the US so says Pompeo, Navarro and Trump.

Invoking the name Wuhan or China when mentioning the virus is to lay the groundwork for a future directive or mandate to limit business with China. Trump has tried though tax cuts for corporations, through tariffs designed to make goods more expensive, and through jawboning to get American business to withdraw and bring manufacturing back to the US and cripple China in the process. None of those has been all that effective.

Finally he has a Health Reason to insist we no longer severely limit doing business there. The more times he can say Wuhan or China Virus the more he drill his rationale for calling/demanding business out of China into the brains of the public.

So, Stuart, that last sentence should have said “health reason TO severely limit”…….(not no longer limit) Oh btw I saw a spyder with a million dollar price tag)

Phil Lassiter says:

Worse time in the world for Haggerty to be campaigning Anyone for that matter.

Phil Lassiter says:

We are actually getting a 2% raise in all this. Very fortunate

DEEP STATE ! No to Haggerty. Yes to Dr. Flynn, has proven conservative record.

steve cates says:

YES!! I hope the poster who is “tired of hearing from doctors” and wants us to “get back to work” (I assume no matter what the risk..)will find it is her and her family who are at the most risk caused by such dangerous movements and not those of others!!

Just one question steve, where did you go to medical school and what is your specialty? From your responses I thought you had a PhD in political science when in fact you are an MD, or is it a DO?

Steve, did you go to work during the 2018 and 2019 flu seasons? 70 thousand died from the flu in ’18 and were still not through the current flu season. The estimates from CDC is that we will have between 17 and 25 MILLION medical visits and 600 Thousand hosptializations.

LeeAnn C. says:

Nice. Really. Thanks so much! Allow me to elaborate. I have two adult sons who are unemployed due to no fault of their own. They are young and healthy. My husband and I are at the brink of the age advised to take precautions. I’m weary of hearing doctors because they are repeating the same thing. I’m a prudent adult that is perfectly capable of understanding what was said the first time. My sons and their future is hindered by every single day of this country-wide stalemate. You have NO idea the type of work that my sons do, nor are you willing to finance them and their needs. We will. They have a little savings to hold them over, but at the end of the month when rent is due, utilities are due, insurance premiums are due, etc, their savings will be totally drained. People will continue to contract this disease for quite some time. When, exactly, is going back to work deemed NOT ‘dangerous’ by you? For anyone and everyone? We’re just supposed to hide in our little cubby holes until the threat is completely gone? Absurd! Many of us have adhered to the CDC recommendations and have 6 days to go. It’s time to get America back to work in the safest way possible – but WORK we must. The fatality rate is less than 1% of those that actually have been tested positive. The obesity rate in the U.S. probably is higher – yet the main thing that’s still open is fast food! Again, thanks for your kind thoughts toward me and my family. If you wish to hide out incessantly, go to it. Just don’t ask me to pay for your dependency.

Another explanation of steve’s reluctance to see this pandemic period end is the fact that liberals find this sort of thing so temperamentally congenial. Think of it, the government issuing edicts as to who can do what, when, and where and the entire population docilely obeying. Really, for liberals it’s sort of a fantasy world come true. Mind you, I don’t believe for a minute that liberals wished for a pandemic to strike the world, and they certainly don’t like who is in charge of the government, but there are certain aspects of this scene that as that famous, and happily departed MSNBC commentator described it, “. . .runs chills down my leg.”

Donna Locke says:

Stuart, the idea is to keep the health care system from being overwhelmed. That would be disastrous for all. Containment insofar as is possible spaces infection out to a more manageable situation, since the virus is not run of the mill.

I think the rich celebrities’ singing of the Communist Manifesto at us has been the unintentionally-comedic highlight in all this. “Imagine no possessions…” Well, this is getting easier to imagine for some.

I understand the medicine but I’m afraid that given in a democratic country we can’t shut things down for tens of millions of people like they did in Wuhan and we can’t let the economy run down by paying people not to work and companies not to produce for months on end. Keep this up long enough and we will have no currency and/or have most of our federal budget devoted to servicing our debt.

Isn’t there a line in that moronic song about no borders and/or no country? How wonderfully inappropriate while we are fighting the spread of the Chinese virus.

Linda McCarty says:

It’s so disgusting to see the repetitive mantra Trump puts out for his people to say. Its reminiscent of a dictator. His own appointees appear fearful in his news conferences. He does not have working people’s interests at heart. I really don’t think he can be trusted to tell anyone the truth about anything. Therefore why would I trust an endorsement by him.

steve cates says:

45 YEARNS to have the powers of a dictator. Anyone who has watched his incoherence and ramblings during these press conferences lately can easily see he is so aggravated with even questions from “the people”!! (Of course he mainly is having withdrawal from not being able to get out with those raving and rabid supporters in those rallies that keep him juiced up!)

LeeAnn C. says:

Actually, you’ve got it backwards. President Trump speaks for the people. I agree with most of what he says, although I would phrase it differently. From your statement, I doubt that you will be voting for either President Trump’s reelection nor anyone on the Republican ticket. You’re just looking for an opportunity to be repetitive of the Democrat party statements.

Not that Stuart guy says:

Counted three “Wuhan” when zero would do. Always fun to appeal to the racist base, I suppose. Hagerty, not one to drink the koolaid in the past, certainly has come a long way. He’s basically drowning in it now. Sad to see.

steve cates says:

Thanks for calling him out!!!

Another one!!! Wuhan is a city in the Hubei province of China not a race. Did you go to the same school as Virginia Leonard? I bet it was a government school wasn’t it? If it was a private school perhaps you both can demand to get a portion of your tuition money back on behalf of your parents.

• “Our economy reached new highs…” Not as measured by (GDP) growth. As measured by deficit spending? Yes. That’s put us in a worse position for current need to borrow.
    In any case, Kudlow’s not an economist. He’s a salesman (called an economist for marketing purposes).
    The relative lack of expertise in the administration, in many areas, is a weakness. As we’ve seen, Trump’s not easy to work for.
    Kudlow’s another one who criticized Trump harshly over policy… then did a 180 when Trump was elected. Make no mistake, the guy’s pure salesman.

steve cates says:

Thanks for this factual information!!!

Right you are, Martin. Kudlow has done a 180 and it is difficult to watch him being interviewed b/c what’s coming out of his mouth NOW is not at all what he was saying for years right up to joining the Trump administration.

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt thinking that perhaps he reasoned that it would be good for a person with his beliefs to at least have a seat at the table and perhaps impact policy. But then you watch him go on camera to sell a policy the “old Kudlow” could never has espoused and you know this guy has sold out.

The first criterion for high level administration position is that you be a “yes” man. Everything else is secondary.

If you compare what Larry Kudlow has said over the years on LIVE TV. preserved in the memory of those of us who tune in to financial news networks daily and on tape, and what he says now that he is in the Trump administration…….it is a Night and Day difference. His comments, opinions, advice and even his word ,IMO, cannot to be trusted.

Eddie White says:

I like Kudlow. Working with Trump, they have given us the strongest economy in history. Record stock market and record unemployment. I also appreciate Trump and Kudlow taking on China. Unfortunately, the virus is wiping out the economic gains that Trump has created. I fully support the stimulus package the Trump administration has put together. Sad to see the Senate Democrats sit on their hands while the economy sinks.

The recent economy is where it is b/c of the Trump administration’s combination of initial inaction followed by the tons of the Wrong action.

And he set himself up for attack form the Left with so many false and nonsensical comments about “anyone who wants a test can get a test” well before that was remotely true (not to mention unnecessary) and one of my favorites “”One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear. And from our shores, you know, it could get worse before it gets better … Nobody really knows,” …’ Helpful !! …….very helpful !!!!

Shoving Dr Fauci front and center to respond to every question with “”WE really don’t know until we’ve done 6 months of clinical trials ” was beyond unproductive. It spooked the public and the markets. If that is ALL he can say. day in and day out, then you should have gotten him away from the microphone and TV cameras, Mr President. And stop thanking him for his brilliance and helpfulness.

Trump’s mishandling of this crisis is what took away all the economic traction so far gained in his term ( albeit, bought for the large part with Trillion dollar deficits and low-ball Fed rates} The Left has sprung into action to capitalize on his blunders but HE has been running down field in decidedly the wrong direction for quite a while. No help from the Left needed.

Eddie White says:

That certainly explains the 2000 point jump in the Stock market today. But it really does not matter what Trump does, the whining by the far left and odd right will continue.

Eddie….there has been a 70% drop in many industry sectors energy, banking, transportation hospitality and a descimation in the small caps. The Dow, skewed by big tech names, is still down 28% even with today’s gains. Let’s see if things move up from here.

But since this didn’t have to go down AT ALL had this been handled INcorrectly; YES, we have been going in the wrong direction from the snap of the ball. The market cheer today is that Trump will regain his sense of direction, stop the madness~ the madness he first rolled out. I doubt he gets us back to even by the end of the year, a year lost.

LeeAnn C. says:

I’ll listen! There will be a back side of this situation and I’m anxious to see people free to get back to work! I’ve had quite enough of doctor interviews.

steve cates says:

Racist! Racist! Racist!

We need James Mackler to represent us in the U .S. Senate. Bring down McConnell and his minions!!!

It is a toss up as to whether Trump or Pompeo, or Navarro hate China’s rise and prominence as a dominant Economic Power more.

TR says:

Seriously, Larry Kudlow has lost all credibility. Like many others in the Trump orbit, the things that come out of his mouth now bear no resemblance to the free market conservatism he once espoused. Haggerty is as craven as they come, first using the Nashville tornadoes and now the coronavirus as campaign opportunities. I’m not that big of a Sethi fan either, but I’ll probably vote for him just because Haggerty is such an opportunist with no discernible values.

No TR, conservatives have no horse in this race!! That’s why I am looking longingly to the First District as the filing deadline looms. Up to now I have worried that BOTH Timothy Hill and David Hawk would run thus splitting the conservative vote in the district which would let one of the townie mayors, a la the awful Phil Roe (Heritage-70%), with little or no conservative record to win. Now I’m beginning to be concerned that NEITHER will run.

The only thing conservatives can achieve in this U.S. Senate race is to teach plutocrats who may seek to run for a high office that you can’t show up with no significant record of involvement in the conservative movement like Chairman Manny, sign on a hired gun like Chris Devaney to throw red meat at conservatives during your campaign, and expect conservatives to be gullible enough to vote for you. Chairman Manny’s campaign is an insult to every conservatives who should vote for Hagerty just to show the world that “WE WON’T BE FOOLED AGAIN. . .NOOOOOOOO!”

LeeAnn C. says:

Check Dr. Sethi’s indiviudual campaign contributions. What you won’t find is any contribution to any Tea Party conservatives, like Joe Carr. You won’t find many contributions at all, which for someone that loaned himself millions to start his campaign, is appalling. For that matter, you won’t find a contribution to Donald Trump – until October 2019. You will find a contribution to Corker. You’ll also find a contribution, albeit small, to ACT BLUE. Designated for Democrat Tom Periello who I successfully flipped a red seat to blue in VA by a slim margin. Besides his own proclamation to be “conservative”, voters have NOTHING to go on.

Donna Locke says:

I’m not going to vote for Hagerty, so I’m watching Sethi.

If you’re going to be like that, may I suggest that your vote will do less damage to the conservative movement if you join James and vote for Dr. Flinn.

Don’t you keep thinking to yourself “who IS this guy”?

Phil Lassiter says:

Don’t worry about Hagerty. If Trump approval goes way down because of virus then he will disown him quickly. He hated him in 2015/2016. It’s all about opportunity and not principle. Truth. Sucks if you don’t like it but is what it is

Well Phil, just to quibble with you a bit he won’t do that because Trump is simply too strong in Tennessee so that it’s unthinkable to me that Trump can do anything that would make his approval go “way down” in this state so as to make it politically expedient for Hagerty to publicly break with him. You do, however, make a very valid larger point in that pols from the Chamber of Commerce wing of the Republican Party are a craven, feckless lot who indeed have no problem operating on the basis of “It’s all about opportunity and not principle.”

LeeAnn C. says:

The only time Hagerty left a candidate in his extensive political history was when his candidate lost a primary. Since President Trump is assured of the nomination, there’s absolutely no incentive for Hagerty to distance himself. There is also no indication that Hagerty ‘hated’ anyone in 2015-16. Many of us chose someone else through the primary. Hagerty has done everything that he could to support the President from the primary forward.

Beatrice Shaw says:

This campaigning on our suffering MUST stop. We need our stimulus money and FAST! Get it fast tracked and sent to the workers.

LeeAnn C. says:

Tell Nancy Pelosi. She and Chuck Schumer have delayed the bi-partisan assistance for days now.

Keep this up Beatrice and the Party will label you as an “Capitalist Roader” and you will find yourself in a re-education camp.

Dr. Arnold Hopland says:

This is also a national defense issue. There is technology which can provide defense from a weoponized virus with “gain-0f-function” RNA sequence which increases infection transmission even if chimeric with HIV RNA sequences which suppress immune response. Bill needs to address the National Defense aspects as well as the Economic and Health effects of the current pandemic. Please contact me for further information regarding this technology.

Haggerty NO, Dr. Flinn, Yes

• With four months to go there seems to be little consensus on WHO can best represent conservatives in the Republican Party. After submitting my petition for candidacy, the election commission had listed 20 candidates running in the Republican Primary August 6th. Additionally, the Coronavirus has changed the entire landscape, upending our entire economy. Pay attention Tennessee… to WHO you vote for. WHY? Because “IT MATTERS…”
    BushForSenate.com