Hagerty, Sethi denounce Supreme Court decision blocking Trump from ending DACA

Then-Gov. Bill Haslam, Rep. Mark White, and Sen. Todd Gardenhire pose for a photo in March 2018 with supporters of offering instate tuition for students whose parents brought them to country illegally as children. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Senate candidates Bill Hagerty and Manny Sethi are denouncing a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision that President Donald Trump can’t immediately dismantle the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program from children brought to the country without legal authorization.

The opinion was written by Chief Justice John Roberts, a Republican appointee. He was joined by the high court’s four more liberal members.

Here’s the statement from Hagerty:

The Supreme Court’s decision to prevent the Trump Administration from dismantling DACA, an immigration policy created via Executive Order by the Obama Administration is appalling and another reminder as to why we need to confirm more constitutionalist judges to the federal bench. We need justices and judges who will not legislate from the bench, but respect the Constitution. Joe Biden and a Democrat Senate majority would confirm nominees who will get it wrong every time. In the Senate, I will support constitutionalist judges and work with President Trump to fix our broken immigration system and build the wall at our southern border.

And here is Sethi:

This is a travesty: My parents waited seven years to immigrate to America legally, and they gave back to the community here in Tennessee. It’s incredibly offensive to me as a first generation American to see other people break the law get benefits, and their children be rewarded for it. Congress needs to fix the system by building the wall, ending chain biased migration, and pausing all legal immigration until we get our economy back on track.

Meanwhile, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Marville), the man Hagerty is hoping to replace, struck a different tone about the decision:

The Supreme Court’s decision will provide temporary relief to current DACA recipients, but it is clear to me that Congress must act to fix our broken immigration system. Congress should work together to achieve a permanent result both for DACA recipients and border security, and any other improvements to legal immigration that we can agree on—this means something the Senate and the House can pass and that the president will support.

Democratic candidate James Mackler weighed in on Twitter:

And here’s Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention:

Dreamers are not an abstraction. They are people created in the image of God, who were brought here as children by their parents. Their entire lives are at stake right now. This Supreme Court decision might address an immediate question of administrative law, but it does not, ultimately, protect our vulnerable neighbors. There is no sending these people ‘back’—in many cases they have no memory at all of the land of their parents’ origin. Those who have lived as good neighbors and contributed so greatly to our country should be protected from the constant threat of having their lives upended. That will take action by the United States Congress. Most Americans agree on this question, which is quite a feat in times as divided as these. Congress should move immediately to protect our Dreamer neighbors.

58 Responses to Hagerty, Sethi denounce Supreme Court decision blocking Trump from ending DACA

The Hagerty campaign is showing how Republican centrists/tepid conservatives sound when they run for office while the Alexander statement shows how Republican centrists/tepid conservatives sound once they are elected to office. Amazing how firmness turns to mush! Only candidates with a proven conservative record will do, e. g. Timothy Hill (ACU-88%) in the First District – U.S. Congress.

Like the Tennessee legislature needs to reign in the TOO MUCH authority of the Governor and at the State Executive department ( #LeeTheTraitor ) So does the Congress need to reign in the TOO MUCH authority of the President and Executive Department..
    Congress has advocated their legislative authority to the 4th branch of government, the Executive Regulatory alphabetic soup departments.

Oh and Republican Presidents are Hit and Miss on nominations of the courts. Earl Warren and then …..

Trump is being denied using DACA as a bargaining chip. That is all t hat’s going on h ere. Go back and review all the glowing things Trump has said about DACA “children. And let’s not forget that DACA “children have nothing but wonderful things to say about their parents’ illegal crossing and dodging authorities for decades.

Trump is getting exactly what he and Ivanka and Jared want for DACA; he just isn’t going to be able to get political capital from it.

Eddie White says:

I am not going to blame the children for the sins of their parents, and I am not going to blame Trump for the DACA mess.

what happens when parents sneak their children into a movie theater OR into Your house. Do the parents get tossed out but the children get to stay ? Good for you James. Want to give the homeless you address; I am sure they’ll appreciate you generous attitude about giving their children a home for life.

The statement of Mr. Moore is a wonderful illustration of the Southern Baptists continuing efforts to go mainstream and why they are beginning to hemorrhage members just as quickly as the Mainstream Protestant and Catholic Churches.

Gail McPeak says:

Sooooo, they don’t like Christians with compassion? The politicization of our churches is the reason folks left the churches a while back. With few exceptions, the current church positions do not reflect my values. Many times I read the news with dismay and wonder if the current crop of Christians have any moral compass. Their blind support of Trump is a great example: he lies and uses the office of the presidency for his own glorification and that of his allies and they love him for it. WWJD?

I don’t know why you find it so hard to understand that the leftward lurch of the Democratic Party and the fact that the liberal/left dominate almost all the main determinants of our culture makes many of those who are not liberal/left look to Trump as a some sort of savior. This is especially so since so few Republicans are willing to vacate their comfy place in the tall grass so Trump ends up being the only push back against what is rapidly becoming a mobocracy a la French Revolution.

Today the Republican Party is an enfeebled, frightened group who thinks that if they just say nothing they will win because they are not Democrats. I wouldn’t bet on it, and nature hates a vacuum, if Trump is the only push back against the totalitarian mob that appears to carrying all before it you have to expect the anti-mob to gravitate toward Trump, whatever his flaws.

Eddie White says:

Exactly right Stuart. No surprise evangelical Christians support Trump. It is not an endorsement of his personal lifestyle, but rather a realization that the President is one of the few that actually stands up and pushes back on behalf of conservative Christians.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Democrats are destined to win!

Gail McPeak says:

Entering into a partnership with the devil is still a partnership with the devil; I don’t care how you try to justify it.

I wonder if the alarm of your highly sensitive sense of righteousness goes off when liberal Democrats support or at least make excuses for the Jacobin mobs that are vandalizing our major cities, shaming and silencing perfectly innocent people well in the mainstream of American politics as in Mao’s Cultural Revolution, and destroying and defacing art and statues commemorating periods in our history that most wish to commemorate in a perfect imitation of the Taliban in Afghanistan because as you know, “Entering into a partnership with the devil is still a partnership with the devil. . . .”

• Kudos to the Supreme Court and the Southern Baptist Convention. This decision is the right one.

• DACA is a perfect example of the “tangled web we weave” when the Rule of Law is abandoned, lawmakers shirk their duty, lives are destroyed and chaos ensues with the resulting polarization.
    Both sides must come together, listen, make their deals (reality talking…) and then insure that the system prevents future repeats. No decision will be without controversy or fallout… but in the end “IT DOES MATTER…”
    BushForSenate.com

Not that Stuart guy says:

Proper decision by the Court. Fun to watch Hagerty and Dr. Manny try to out-outrage each other in the hopes of appeasing the base. Meanwhile, back in the real world, this is a minor issue of administrative law. Real immigration reform will take more than one narrow decision.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Thank God the Supreme Court is sticking to their guns and the Constitution and awarding our people what they rightfully deserve. Now, on to better, free healthcare and free education for all.

I’ll agree with you about one thing Beatrice, the majority of the American people are being awarded “. . .what they rightfully deserve” and if they don’t change their voting habits, or begin to more reliably even show up, they ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

STEVE CATES says:

I am so happy with this decision and quite amazed at the sensible, caring remarks from the SBC. They may be able to be salvaged yet!!! To have this decision and the decision a few days ago from the court clarifying civil rights, is almost too much euphoria. Both of these clarify what we have always stood for as a nation during my 80 years and are a rebuke of the meanness and nastiness and cruelty of slimy 45. I appreciate Lamar’s remarks, though that will not make me look at him much differently; he’s been an albatross around my neck since the terrible “Career Ladder”. As to the republicans running for U.S. Senate from TN, I can only hope they don’t make it!! They are both disgusting. (I am glad someone mentioned Warren. Students of history may look back at some of the current justices in the same way we look at Warren. He was indeed a man who rose to the occasion and is to be much-admired for doing so. )

“Stilll Crazy After All These Years.” I think an old Russian proverb goes something like “because the man has a grey beard does not indicate wisdom.”

I remember and approve the “Impeach Earl Warren” billboards that were all over the country in the 1960’s.

Well Well, I see Page Walley Pledges to Support Congressional Term Limits. AND he will vote FOR An Article V Constitutional Convention to try to make it happen, so I will vote Templeton, Not Walley.

Perry Aubric says:

It seems that all the commentators and all three of the Senate candidates quoted in the story have missed exactly what the Supreme Court ruled in this case. The Chief Justice, in his opinion, specifically stated that the Court was not ruling on the merits of the DACA program, whether it was good policy or not, or what the legal status id the so-called Dreamers should be. The ruling was on a narrow application of administrative law. That’s exactly what courts are supposed to consider and address.

The Court ruled that the Trump Administration failed to follow proper legal procedures in dismantling the program because it did not enumerate specific reasons for doing so. Current law requires such reasons to be stated. Without them, the Court found the Trump Administration acted “arbitrarily” and, therefore, illegally under the law. That is an interpretation of administrative law, not a decision based on the merits or demerits of the program itself.

What happens now is that the Department of Homeland Security will prepare a detailed rationale for dismantling the program, make a reasoned argument for doing so, go though the process again, and there will be new Executive Order from the President. The Supreme Court left open the possibility for exactly that. If Trump is reelected, we can expect him to get his way by acting in a way that meets the requirements of law. It seems they acted without due diligence before.

So these reactions here that either the Court has issued a resounding victory that will always prevent deportation of the Dreamers (from the left) or that thee Court has stabbed the President and those opposed to protections for the Dreamers in the back (from the right) are just over the top and, frankly, kind of stupid. Neither happened. The Court ruled on adherence to the technical requirements of Federal law, not on the DACA program. That’s all.

Good post Perry. Thanks.

LeeAnn C. says:

Thank you, Perry. I’ve been disturbed all day with statements from current elected officials and hopeful ones. It doesn’t seem that any of them read beyond the headlines. Very disappointing.

And that is why, in spite of Trump’s wanting to give DACA’s citizenship, he is livid over not being able to use this a leverage for something else AND not getting credit for having given DACA their due. Obama will get credit for that and it irks Trump no end.

The courts allowed Obama’s executive order to stand and did not allow Trumps executive order to undo an executive order. Sounds like Bull to me.
      Executive orders are Not laws and Executive Departments regulations are not Law and SCOTUS does not write law. Only congress writes law.

Perry Aubric says:

James, the law involved is The Administrative Procedure Act, which has been the law of the land since 1946. So once again, you just don’t know what you are talking about.

For a self-proclaimed authority on the Constitution, albeit without any qualifications for such a claim other than your bizarre fringe-element crockpot theories, you could at least make an effort to understand the details of this decision.

Charles says:

Let’s hope that the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Tennessee will go down this fall with Donald Trump. They are tied to his waistcoat, so it could happen, especially if those candidates keep on with the stupid ads and statements.

Charles, I know this forced isolation that we all have been having to endure has caused a number of us to hit the “juice” a bit more than we should, but it seems that in your case it is beginning to cause you to lose touch with reality and mentally drift away a bit. If you can’t cut back, perhaps if you changed brands. . . .

Manny statement shows him to be distraught over the idea that children should financially benefit from the illegal action of their parents. Trump does NOT agree.

Hagerty’s statement shows that he understands Trump wants DACA “children” to benefit from the illegal actions of their parents but doesn’t want it to happen by Obama’s Exec order. Trump wants to be the architect of allow DACA to benefit from their parents illegal decades-long activity.

What a choice this presents. Could I be more sad and frustrated?

I beg Tennessee conservatives to avert their eyes from the Presidential and Tennessee’s U. S. Senate campaign where they can’t do anything about the former and it’s pointless to do anything about the latter and instead focus on that First District U. S. Congressional race where a conservative pickup is there for the taking. If you want to get bang for the buck join me and send your spare bucks to Hill For Congress, P. O. Box 3071, Blountville, Tennessee 37617

NO to Hill.

Are you insane? It is the President with his executive powers on trade and immigration not to mention his last line of defense with a “veto pen” and the Senate where bills go to live or die that matter. Just avert my eyes????????

Politics is a sport requiring participation if you want to exert maximum influence. Trump is going to carry Tennessee. If he loses it won’t be because his campaign doesn’t have enough money. So FOR TENN. CONSERVATIVES, there’s nothing to do except vote for Trump. On the other hand, there are conservatives who are fortunate enough to have the funds to contribute to political campaigns in which case I believe there is no campaign that will give conservatives more bang for the buck than Timothy Hill’s campaign in the First District.

Disagree. The informed consciousness comes from watchfulness in the absence of being able to do something. The dynamics of a Trump sweep in TN is not worth averting my eyes even if I can’t do anything this time around.

I didn’t mean to literally pay no attention to the Presidential and U. S. Senate campaign. I simply meant that as a conservative I wouldn’t send either campaign a dime when we have the First District race in a low cost media environment where a dollar sent to Timothy Hill can have an outsize effect.

Do I need a decoder ring like Ovaltine used to offer (thank you A Christmas Story for reminding me) to figure out what you mean since actual written words are not all that helpful? I’m supposed to avert my eyes from presidential and senatorial elections and decipher your comments as per your yet-unpublished book of excuses.

No MARLE, simply ask for clarification which I will be more than happy to provide. In fact, there are few things that I’d rather address than my thoughts and feelings about almost anything.

I think I’ll just respond to the words you write and the burden to Re-Express your thoughts will be all Your responsibility

Eddie White says:

Trump wins Tennessee, but Biden is building a lead in the battleground states. Marle, maybe that will give you some relief from the Republicans, conservatives, and President Trump that apparently are all terrible. You are going to get a liberal White House and Congress, so no more complaints from you. Stuart, you may get your conservative in the 1st District which will mean nothing in a Democratic controlled House and White House, and possibly senate. Hill can set on the sidelines with the other Republicans and watch the Democrats govern. How sad for the rest of us. As for the senate race, Dr Manny seems a better candidate to me than Hagerty.

Perry Aubric says:

There is not any particular philosophical difference between Hagerty and Sethi as far as I can see from their public statements. They are both pledging to pay fealty to Trump, which is sad. You would hope they would have a better personal grounding than that.

While I will vote for neither of them, it seems to me that Hagerty at least has some experience and qualifications as a former Commissioner and Ambassador and would be a better choice (if you have to choose between just those two, and apparently that is de facto the choice). Sethi seems like nothing more than an opportunist and an empty suit. If we were in the era when Democrats rather than Republicans were winning all the statewide elections, there is no doubt in my mind that he would be grinning as a Democrat.

A keen analysis of the Republican U. S. Senate race Perry, You are so obviously correct looking at it from the “outside,” my only hope is that Chris Devaney’s odd spell over a good chunk of the Republican electorate finally breaks.

Eddie it’s a sad fact of life that until we make the Republican Party more conservative we can expect nothing but the further drift and eventual collapse of everything we cherish about the United States. Why don’t we try to do something about that and at least give the American people a chance to preserve this nation as something worth preserving? This has to be done one election at a time and it’s in the Republican Primary where it must be done.

It so happens that in this election Trump will easily carry Tennessee and there is no conservative candidate running for U.S. Senate so its the open Congressional seat in the 1st District that should be the focus for conservatives. Surely, you don’t think that as a conservative I will be anything but distraught over Biden and whatever specimen he chooses as Vice President along with a Democratic Congress gaining control in which case I will simply console myself in the fact that I am a childless only child who is well past middle age so perhaps we can delay the ultimate deluge just long enough so I won’t have to be a witness to it.

Chairman Manney is a non-ideological. narcissistic, establishment hanger-on who is a political creation of Chris Devaney as was Bill Lee. He is just the type of person conservatives should NOT be encouraging to run for high office insofar by giving Dr. “CONSERVATIVE-OUTSIDER” their vote.

I have stated many times that given the choice between Trump and Biden I will vote for Trump. Biden could get hit by a bus or struck by a meteor. So I don’t know if that those will be my choices but I made my declaration if those are what I am stuck with.

But that doesn’t mean I have to ignore the vast difference between Candidate Trump and his stated policies as he won my vote last time and the President who showed up for the last 3 years.

• Pingback: ICYMI TN-SEN THIS WEEK: UNMASKING A CLEAR CONTRAST - James Mackler