GOP ad hits Trump in attack on Dickerson rival

An attack ad paid for by the political action committee of state Senate Speaker Randy McNally (R-Oak Ridge) takes a swipe at an unusual target: President Donald Trump.

“Are you tired of rude politicians who don’t treat others with respect?” the narrator says to open the ad while images of U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Trump flash on the screen.

The ad then moves on to a video of former Oak Hill Mayor Heidi Campbell raising her voice at someone during a Board of Commissioners meeting and threatening to have the person removed. The context of the encounter is not made clear in the ad.

Campbell is challenging state Sen. Steve Dickerson (R-Nashville) in next week’s election.

The ad also alleges Campbell has been arrested three times, including twice for drunken driving. The spot calls her “disrespectful, unhinged Heidi Campbell.”

44 Responses to GOP ad hits Trump in attack on Dickerson rival

Let’s see, Steve Dickerson (ACU-71%) a most tepid conservative is in a tough race against a leftist Democrat in a district located in a liberal ghetto so the add throws Trump under the bus ever so briefly to save Dickerson on whose behalf the add was run. That’s about right.

Jennifer Hamblin says:

Lt GOV McNally you must DEMAND @ once that your PAC
    Stop airing this disrespectful cm immediately & offer a
    Public Apology to Republicans in TN & to Our President!
    Do you approve of this poorly designed cm? Just how low will
    the RINOS IN TN go?!😡

Gail McPeak says:

The RINOS will not go as low at the CHRINOS – Christians in Name Only

Leftists are often artsy-craftsy so they frequently come up with catchy, original names for things that they dislike. From you Gail we get “CHRINOS.” How disappointing.

Gail McPeak says:

I don’t know Stuart. I bet you’re in church every time the doors are open. But you are piously indignant at the mention of reaching out to your fellow Tennesseans and countrymen in need. You seem to think helping your fellow man is a sign of weakness and you will not lower yourself to that level. To coin another artsy-craftsy phrase WWJD. I think CHRINO is an excellent moniker for our president. How his Christian supporters don’t see that is a mystery. I patiently await your pithy, condescending retort.

Since we don’t live in a theocracy, my attendance at church is totally irrelevant to any political discussion. What is relevant in a political discussion, and is fundamental to such a discussion, is one’s attitude toward the proper role of the government in the life of a nation. All through the history there has been and is today a conflict between the freedom of individuals vs. government power and control. What gets me “. . .piously indignant. . .” is people who want to needlessly expand the role government at the expense of sacrificing the freedom of individuals however that expansion is rationalized.

There should be a floor below which people don’t slip simply for a well ordered society. Anything above and beyond that should be the work of private charities and people like Gail McPeak who find that cause particularly compelling. As a Methodist I find Christian leftists particularly annoying because there is a religious zealotry behind their authoritarian preferences. Indeed, conservative Methodists are about to finally end their frustrations by institutionally splitting off from the uber liberal United Methodist Church so there’s the final declining liberal mainline Protestant church that will lose some of its most ardent parishioners.

If you are so moved by the downtrodden Gail, get that ole McPeak checkbook out and do some good. My checkbook is frequently out trying to do good supporting other causes. That’s the way freedom works. Everyone has their own causes and priorities among those causes but we should all agree to leave others alone rather than capturing control of government for force others to support our pet causes.

Gail McPeak says:

Thanks Stuart, I knew you wouldn’t disappoint!

The way “freedom” works in the US tax code is that I must support your charity or Gail’s charity through tax deductions, Stuart. That’s not freedom when financial support YOU like is underwritten by me and other taxpayers.

We lost on this little piece of freedom (which should have been Soooooo easy)a long long time ago

Btemple says:

Let the record show that RINO Jennifer Hamblin doesn’t support our republican candidates. Oh, BTW Jen, Trump is going to lose and your boy Judd is dirtbag. Thought you should know.

Phillip Lassiter says:

More drink. More pills. Less talk!

LeeAnn C. says:

The headline of this blog over emphasizes the brief snippet of Trump. I actually think the ad is very effective for those that are sick of all political discussions, and particularly contentious ones! The Dem is bad news and needs to be shown for who and what she is.

Taxpayer #314 says:

I AM tired of RUDE politicians that don’t treat others with r-e-s-p-e-c-t and that precisely covers the current president. Stewart can argue the lower scores of his favorites in the (R) party but Trump by far, takes the bottom score for “respect.”

Respect?!?!? R-E-S-P-E-C-T. You mean the kind of thing that causes one person to take the trouble to spell another person’s name exactly as he wants it to be spelled? That kind of thing? If rudeness of that kind turns you on Taxpayer, have at it, but PLEASE don’t embarrass yourself with expressing fatigue at the rudeness of others.

Phillip Lassiter says:

This just shows real side of the Lt Gov. everyone should know by now that every member of Republican leadership in TN is now fully moderate and no one to slow them down. Just the facts. Only stating the actual facts here.

Lance Persson says:

TO ALL OF YOU I SAY, “Why is it more important to you what someone has said than what they have done?” President Trump has accomplished so much, yet you complain about the things he says that offend people. What is important to me, is that his leadership has helped accomplish things that I would have considered to be impossible. North Korea is no longer rattling their swords, the mideastern conflicts have settled down, the wall along our southern border is getting built keeping out illegal immigrants, three conservative judges have been appointed to the Supreme Court, our taxes have been reduced, the Arab world is beginning to recognize Israel as a state, etc.

Sabo Pike says:

North Korea is just added a new weapon, the wall is not being built, our attention to Mideast conflicts is down. I will give you the judges, and the Mideast treaties is pretty weak tea only involving countries not in conflict and probably were bought with taxpayer money. Thank you for letting me know what Trump’s accomplishments are. I have been perplexed, since none are obvious.

Phillip Lassiter says:

Lift up your glass! Have a drink!! Yayayaya! Whiskey all day!! That is my day!!! Haha haha. I love to drink! Then type what I think!! Wawawa.

Eddie White says:

All of that does not matter Lance, since evidently Trump isecretly supports white supremacy.

Lance Persson says:

Eddie, Provide the facts that back up your statements. The facts I have seen clearly prove that your statement is utterly untrue. Do you also think that Ben Carson supports white supremacy? Hardly.

He’s being facetious, Lance. But he never gets it when others make similar comments so I suppose he deserves your humorless response.

Eddie White says:

Love these anonymous blow hard bloggers who pretend to be conservative and sit around all day criticizing a real conservative President who actually puts policy into action.

Poor Eddie……someone who comments on another person’s blog is NOT a blogger. They are just posting comments. Humorless and tech illiterate. Poor Eddie.

Eddie White says:

Lance I completely agree with everything you said. It does not matter to some people because they believe stupid stuff like Trump is a racist.

TRump has not had a balanced budget (with a Rep senate and house) since he first showed up. The Fed is pricing the value of money over 10 years at .16% (and that is why the market is up so much). His tax plan he said “would not help the rich, not one penny” but in fact it helped them plenty.

The border wall is being paid for by taxpayers rather than Mexico (as advertised). Hillary, who Trump said was corrupt and should be in jail (which I agreed with) was not even investigated b/c Trump didn’t want her to suffer through that.

Trump’s tariffs have been erratic, on one month/off the next over and over. It has led to retaliation so that taxpayers have had to prop up strapped farmers who have lost their Chinese markets. NKorea is still developing advanced nuclear weapons and tests missiles that can reach US territory.

People are not just judging him on what he says.

His terrible numbers among women in the suburbs who generally vote Republican show that his miserable personality make him such an anathema with a significant number in that cohort that are not thinking about his policies and certainly not comparing his policies to the policies we can expect from Biden. Of course, he could counteract that with talk about the low income housing that the liberals want to place in the suburbs as well as the Democrat’s newfound hostility to the police and law and order in general but that would entail running a campaign with one or two compelling themes hammered home over and over again rather than Trump standing up and giving a stream of consciousness to the adoring Trumpidians for three quarters of an hour.

Trump may yet win this thing because Biden is so patently unfit to be President and now apparently corrupt too. If he does, for the second time it will only be because the Democrats have such a lousy candidate running a non-campaign.
        ___________________________

Did you see Ted Cruz destroy Jack Dorsey this morning ending with the question of “. . .who the hell elected you and put you in charge of what the media is allowed to report. . .and why do you persist in behaving as a Democratic Super PAC silencing views to the contrary of your political beliefs”? Contrast Cruz (Hertiage-91%) with Trump. What a missed opportunity.

I thought they blocked the Hunter Biden stories. How is that contrary to a “political BELIEF”?

I Trump cared one whit about influence peddling for BiG profit he’d have done what Candidate Trump vowed to do to Hillary. But he didn’t do that; he doesn’t care at all about corruption. He just used it to whip up the Sheeple during the campaign.

And if Congress had cared about influence peddling by family and friends that ends in no discernible influence on the “intended target” then they’d have made this ILLEGAL which it still is Not.

All talk and posturing; no interest in curbing corruption by Congress or by Trump (unless he can use it to political advantage then it’s gone like a – in the wind.

They “. . .blocked the Hunter Biden stories” but allowed the story about Trump’s tax returns pursuant to the fact that those in charge of Twitter’s censorship apparatus are leftists or from Red China both groups that want to see Biden beat Trump and are thus motivated by “political BELIEFS.” My point was to highlight the way Cruz called Dorsey out and how wonderful Cruz is even with hideous facial hair. As to the rest, Trump and the terrible Republican Senate delegation are what they are and I have no further comment other than to say that conservatives should begin saving NOW preparing for the 2022 Republican Primaries at which time we will hopefully have the opportunity to rid ourselves of some of these worthless placeholders.

If Trump loses he will vow to the sheeple to run again in 2022 and they will bleat with joy. Then he and his many family members can fan out into the far corners of the world to do sweetheart deals with 100’s of millions being given to garner influence with the Re-tread President Trump (or the possibility that he will win~ just as they did with potential Hillary).

And by the way….do you not think that the Trump children running the private Trump enterprise (no way to get into those books) have for the last 4 years been getting lots of Real Estate deals done around the world on terms that are “extra nice” for the purpose of buying influence?

Sorry MARLE, this is where our paths diverge. I wouldn’t dream of voting for Biden or anyone in the Democratic party for policy reasons. Biden’s influence peddling racket is for me a sideshow that makes me shrug.

What lights my fire is converting the present Republican Party, which is nothing more than the political arm of the Chamber/Business Roundtable/NAM et al, into a definitively conservative political organization. I will leave the ferreting out of skullduggery of all kinds to law enforcement authorities and “clean government” types with their bountiful quantities of righteous indignation. As for me, I have a society, culture and country to preserve.

You can’t preserve a country or culture with corruption tolerated at the highest levels. It’s why we keep whipsawing from one political party to the other every 8 years for decades. If Trump loses he will be the 1st (he always wants to be no. 1) in the last 4 decades to be defeated after 1 term.

Bush Sr got 37% to Clinton’s 42% BUT Perot was the monkey wrench that got 19%. And to think we chalk that loss up to ONE lie. Back then we apparently made liars pay a price.

I believe the saying goes something like “Culture is upstream from politics.”

Jack Dorsey can and should decide what goes in or not on twitter. The government should leave social media alone, much like the newspapers.
          Congress has no constitutional authority to regulate social media.
          If you don’t like being censored by twitter, go somewhere else.

Nobody questions that Twitter should do what it wants, the only issue on the floor is whether government should remove the special exemption that social media companies have from lawsuits from parties wronged by what appears on social media. Since social media is no longer simply a conveyance of information but rather edits that information like other media it should be subject to the same rules as other media.

Of course they should and repeal the law that has the exemption.

Eddie White says:

Good gosh, Trump talks about his executive order stopping the building of low income housing and the Democrats response to law and order in almost every speech he gives. Try watching a Trump speech. We know what is going to happen Tuesday night. You will have 4 years to find another candidate you like. Lord only knows what your fellow Trump whiners are going to find to talk about. Maybe some of them will move on and find some happiness in the new administration.

Frankly, Eddie if we were chatting in a swing state I would not be as outspoken as I am about Trump’s less than desirable traits because I want Trump to win as much as you do albeit I approach it from wanting the Democrats to lose that much. Knowing that Trump will carry Tennessee comfortably makes me turn my attention to Republicans voting habits in Republican Primaries which as a conservative I think leaves much room for improvement. I certainly wouldn’t bet on Trump winning at this point but I am not quite as ready as you are to throw in the towel.

As for 2024 we have so many great conservative candidates to choose from I hope they don’t all balkanize the conservative vote so we get a tepid conservative instead. Surely Ted Cruz will run again. Pence (Heritage-80%) will be hard to beat but he’s not conservative enough for me to support out of the gate. Josh Hawley (Heritage-92%) is wonderful but after only one term in Congress and the fact he is up in 2024 so he will have to give up his Senate seat to run makes me think he might bide his time for awhile instead.

There is something wrong with Trump’s speeches or it may be a stylistic issue and the fact that I don’t care for his style. His speeches are too long and they are more or less a flow of consciousness that contain too many issues. So you are correct, the low income housing issue gets a mention but so do twenty others as he hops from one to another. If you want to point to his big problem as we head into this election it’s with college educated women in the suburbs who could be induced to vote Republican. Bringing the mayhem of the inner city out to the suburbs which will result from the Democrats forcing low income housing onto the suburbs can be made into a big thing as can the failure of the Democrats to deal with urban violence or to condemn that violence. But to Trump those are simply two issues that he hops and skips across with all the others so that they are diluted in his delivery.

I don’t think that Trump’s campaign has been very good. Hopefully he will get lucky again.

Jason Wallflower says:

Trump is the most unaccomplished President in modern history.

One – you can go give Kim Jong Un a hug if you want Lance. Think normal, non-lunatics like me will pass on that one.

Two – Isis is on the rise again in the Middle East and the horn of Africa, but ok.

Three – There is no wall on the border. Trump did squat about that. No surprise.

Four – Don’t you mean the office of Mitch McConnell got three justices appointed? That wasn’t Trump. That was cocaine Mitch. Oh and any other Republican president would have done the same.

Five – We still don’t have tax reform. Theres a difference between tax cuts and tax reform. Instead, Trump is on track to blow past Obama in government spending in the first term. Thats right – Trump is spending more money than Obama. What happened to the tea party? Oh yeah, they compromised themselves and sold out to worship at the altar of the RINO king.

Six – Saudi Arabia and Egypt have not made any meaningful attempt to recognize Israel. Until they do, this is just a sideshow. Did I also mention that Trump didn’t do anything meaningful to support Iranian revolutionaries in full revolt a couple of years back? He just sent out some tweets. Thats it.

Lance get out of here. Take Don with you. Maybe he’ll let you stay with him in his apartment in Queens after he has to declare bankruptcy again.

Taxpayer #314 says:

“Worthless placeholders” being the key words there!

• Pingback: Wednesday, October 28