From urging to requiring: Lee makes stay-at-home mandatory

Source: Gov. Bill Lee’s office.

Gov. Bill Lee is ramping up his stay-at-home directive, moving from urging people to avoid all non essential activities to requiring it. The move follows an uptick in traffic and movement around the state.

Here’s the full release from the governor’s office:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. –  Tennessee Governor Bill Lee will sign Executive Order 23 requiring that Tennesseans stay home unless they are carrying out essential activities as data shows an increase in citizen movement across the state.

“Over the last few weeks, we have seen decreases in movement around the state as Tennesseans socially distance and stay at home,” said Gov. Lee. “However, in recent days we have seen data indicating that movement may be increasing and we must get these numbers trending back down. I have updated my previous executive order to clearly require that Tennesseans stay at home unless they are carrying out essential activities.”

Data from the Tennessee Department of Transportation analyzed traffic patterns for March 2020. While safer at home measures and further restrictions on businesses showed a steep drop-off in vehicle movement from March 13-29, data beginning on March 30 indicates travel is trending upwards, again.

The Administration also analyzed data from Unacast to understand cell phone mobility and determine movement trends among people. Unacast indicates the movement of Tennesseans is trending toward pre-COVID-19 levels.

“The month of April stands to be an extremely tough time for our state as we face the potential for a surge in COVID-19 cases,” said Lee. “Every Tennessean must take this seriously, remain at home and ensure we save lives.”

The executive order remains in effect until April 14, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Gov. Lee will address these measures in the press briefing today at 3 p.m. CDT.

42 Responses to From urging to requiring: Lee makes stay-at-home mandatory

Gov. Lee is reluctant to place the heavy hand of government on Tennesseans. For that he is to be commended but when an increasingly heavy hand is required, he stands ready to apply it. This might not appeal to the fans of governmental heavy hands in just about EVERYTHING, but to fans of freedom the Governor has it just about right.

Susan Sneed says:

No, he is not a “fan of freedom,” his acts reveal him.He appears a feckless coward and a science denier. He is not acting like a leader; governmental or otherwise. If he understands the dangers he has been unwilling to endanger his own reputation with his base (as a leader would do) by explaining hard realities. This is about the freedom of TN to come together for the common good and general well-being of TN. Unfortunately, thanks to the Governor, many more have now been freed to be exposed, freed to become I’ll, and perhaps freed to die (while endangering others).
      As a Christian (who does believe in the separation of church and state) I’ll invoke the apostle Paul. As Christians we are not just “free to,” we are “free from.” I’m exercising my freedom from unrestricted movement and doing so for the benefit of my community.

Locking us down so that you can’t walk outdoors in a public riverfront walkway……that makes sense to you and is just about right, Stuart?

Stuart is an agent of the Deep State. Shh.. don’t tell the conservatives (the liberals already know)

I’d better not see one dog walker out side !

I wonder if they will throw you in jail? Didn’t they just release a bunch of criminals because of the virus?

Yeah they did; probably let loose some rapists and murderers in anticipation of needing the space for those of us daring to taking a walk (since their gym has been closed down) outside.

This could all be so simple: The Frightened believe this is incredibly contagious And all “experts” say this virus, like all before this one, will be with us next fall so……

The elderly, infirmed and scared out of their minds could simply stay home and away from anyone and set the the healthy free to Very Quickly develop a herd immunity paying only the price of a case of the flu. Once recovered we would be unable to spread or get the flu. And those who can’t tolerate anything short of 100% safety will not be at risk by any of us.

The rest of you could continue to stay locked away indoors until you feel totally safe and/or a vaccine is developed.

David Collins says:

I always do a “mental double-take” when I find myself agreeing with Stuart but in this instance I think he is correct. Governor Lee is putting the best interest of the people of Tennessee as a whole first and I commend him for it.

Victor F. Andrews says:

I typically agree wholeheartedly with Stuart’s political views, but this time I can’t. I believe that some are willing to apply that heavy hand of big government regardless, and they have persuaded the Governor to bet the ‘predictions’ are correct, namely that we’ll have more than the normal number of ‘annual’ flu season deaths. I read that 86,000 died last year due to flu complications and very few ever mentioned it. My bet is that Covid-19 is no more dangerous, yet we have mass panic in leadership across the nation, which started in the media. Just know this – the repercussions of over estimating this new version of the flu, could likely be worst, than underestimating it……I pray for those impacted, those that will be, and especially for the politician’s praying to get this right.

The Gates Foundation estimate, which is agreed to by urber liberal, Gov Cuomo of NY, is that the Death Rate will be 93 Thousand from Covid. You are correct that close to 70 Thousand died in 2018 flu season and we closed nothing, created No-unemployment issues, and descimated our economy not one iota.

Wendi Strauch Mahoney says:

I disagree wholeheartedly with this mandate. The modeling will not show the deaths they project. This one size fits all mitigation strategy is going to kill more people than the virus due to loss of jobs, depression, suicide, domestic violence, alcoholism, drugs. In TN the IMHE model that predicted that 2214 people would have been hospitalized by yesterday- actual number 200. Go through numbers on ANY state and proportions are similar. How easily people have given up their freedoms. The fact that most people do not even know about the life saving hydroxychloroquine treatments in trials all over, tells you everything you need to know. We’ve got risk averse scientists projecting numbers right now on two states NY and NJ. Inform yourselves. It’s egregious. We can do better. Target high risk populations, densely populated cities and let the rest of us have our livelihoods again

In the Zika virus outbreak of 2015, a threat b/c of birth defects, scientists as Sanofi abandoned a vaccine b/c herd immunity beat them to it. I am beginning to wonder, although I have not one ounce of conspiracy theory in me, what is at work here

“Cough, fever and pneumonia went away faster, and the disease seemed less likely to turn severe in people who received hydroxychloroquine than in a comparison group not given the drug.”

Beatrice Shaw says:

It’s about time!!!

You bet. Authoritarians of the left just can’t wait for those executive orders. They go around ashen faced with a blank stare just waiting for those executive orders. While those of us who are freedom loving libertarians greet executive orders with what is at best a certain sadness, if not outright hostility, authoritarians breath a sigh of relief and satisfaction.

So….effective March 31 we had Executive Order 22.

Now, 2 days later, we have a replacement Executive Order (23) to define a greater degree of lock-down?

His oath the the constitution(s) were lies. He is a tyrant. @GovBillLee #LeeTheTyrant

Jacob Standifird says:

Governor is watching too much MSM. He is being suckered into an unnecessary and damaging shutdown.

Donna Locke says:

I think it’s likely most or all of us will get this virus eventually. It is here to stay as a seasonal thing, most likely. Be advised that the virus tests seem to be yielding some or many false negatives.

As warmer weather sets in, the virus will probably recede. Do things that boost your immune system. Never skimp on sleep. And sleep when it is dark. I read a book about sleep a few months ago that relayed the science on its relation to the immune system.

Lisa says:

I have heard the tests are displaying a lot of false positives so their numbers look higher. The higher the number of cases, the more executive orders.

Jonathan Swift says:

Wow, so many epidemiologists and medical experts on this forum, not to mention altruists! Let’s all cruise down to our local essential liquor store for a group hug.

Donna Locke says:

Well, just ignore it all, Jonathan, and cast your fate to the wind. “A month of nights …”

Paul says:

No kidding Jonathan! These folks need to have their own love-in, preferably far from the rest of us.

There are almost 3200 cases of virus in TN and rising…today it’s up close to 20%, as are deaths. Yes, it’s not huge yet in the grand scheme yet, but 20% per day is doubling in less than a week. As the joke goes, it’s all good until you are dead (or maybe not so much so while you are infected prior to that, but who’s counting). The growth rate is pretty high and it’s not slowing down. Lots of TN residents have taken the extend-my-spring-break approach to this.

As far as “you guys who live in urban areas need to leave the rest of us alone” and so forth, well, we can’t now can we. We’ve closed rural hospitals right and left in this state over the past decade in the name of “efficiency” or whatever, without so much as a bleat from the legislature about it. Where do you think sick folks from those areas end up? Maybe the urban hospitals can take the same approach and say “no one welcome here from outside the immediate area”? There’s tons of counties in this state that barely have a walk-in clinic at this point, much less a ventilator and an ICU.

Governor Lee has been mostly useless during this whole thing. Better (hopefully not too) late than never I guess.

Something tell me that you folks probably don’t routinely believe the Generals and other “military experts” when they tell you how many more missiles and tanks they need or where else on earth we need to deploy forces.

But Medical experts…oh….they got it totally right and dare not be questioned.

Are you going to wait, Jonathan, to get your PhD in Astro physics before you can make the comment that the moon isn’t made of swiss cheese? Isolate yourself and you won’t have any problem at all.

Jonathan Swift says:

I don’t wait to make comments, nor do I take orders from those who repeatedly exhibit the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Why, I’ll ask again, can’t you simply isolate until their is a vaccine? As it is right now We All must isolate b/c you won’t.

And Jonathan, do you accept the spending and deployment recommendations of the Military Experts when they speak? How about the Economic Experts favoring trickle down policies? Like those as well?

Jonathan Swift says:

Any “expert” favoring trickle down economic policies is oblivious to the ample evidence that these policies don’t work. Military experts typically base deployment on politics. Trump conservatives like yourself reject all expertise because they are envious of those with more intelligence than themselves.

Rob says:

I refuse to live under martial law. Yes, it is likely wise to not go and be in public places unless it is essential, however no one is going to tell me if I can walk down the sidewalk in my neighborhood or drive to an area where I like to walk at night. And if someone does, they’ll be facing every legal action that can be taken. When governors and far be it a president to use to suspend peoples freedom in their rights… watch out. I, personally, do not intend for the United States to ever have a dictator. And if someone decides to suspend elections or try to become such I will take to the streets and encourage every other American to do the same. Regardless of party or anything else leading such actions or government takes over essentially all control of government from the masses we have departed from what this country and its “great experiment “ sought not to have ever happen. Yes, this virus is a horrific event in the history of the world. However, it is not the first pandemic. Do United States has also suffered to world wars among other difficult hardships. During those people were not denied their civil in constitutionally mandated rights. Anytime you give her a bit of freedom hoping for a bit of security security cannot be ensured and the freedom is gone forever. I’ll paraphrase Benjamin Franklin. Look up his “

Eddie White says:

Take a nice long walk Rob, relax and enjoy the beautiful spring weather we are enjoying. Let us know if you get a citation or arrested. Have not seen or read anything stopping anyone from enjoying nature. In fact, there is a long list of “essential services”, including getting your car washed while you are out.

Donna Locke says:

I agree. I will continue my usual walks, which boost the immune system, and since I am the one in my family designated to take care of the immediate family here, I will be out a lot searching for essentials, picking up meds for the fam, and whatever else. I am high risk because of age and asthma, but I am not going to obsess over it. If I get it, I get it. I survived advanced cancer, so I count the years since as extra, anyway.

Donna Locke says:

Staying 6 feet apart is not going to help you in a grocery store. The virus can be in the air you walk through and breathe anywhere infected people have exhaled recently or not even recently. And coughs propel germs a lot farther than 6 feet. Let’s be realistic.

Avoiding all people and public places may be possible for the wealthy with flunkies to run their errands and stand in line at dawn, but not for the rest of us. We have to go inside and figure out substitutions for what the stores in our small towns are out of. I live 7 miles from a grocery and have to go more than once on limited items because I am buying for my elderly mother as well.

My son said he had ordered toilet tissue from China. We’ll see how that works out.

Isn’t going out for a walk the very definition of non-essential. Now we have a new crop of “experts” telling us that aerosol level (not droplets) from simple breathing even a a 6 ft distance can present a contagion risk. So…grocery shopping If you Must~ allowable b/c it is essential.
      Walking ~ non-essential.

Eddie White says:

Look up the governor’s order and read it….walking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, golf, tennis…..etc

Is that from Mondays Edict 22 or Thursdays Edict 23? And are you allowed to leave your home to do that list of activities or are they Foreboden from the Fuhrer? I Cannot even believe we have gotten to a point of having to ask such a question. I hope the “Scared out of their minds” are happy.

Tucker Carlson (7 PM, FOX News) has been carrying on a most sober analysis of this entire matter from the position of skepticism that this entire approach of locking down everyone and everything is worth it. The Swedes are unique in following a much more open libertarian approach. Let’s keep an eye on what is happening there.

Have been watching them for weeks. They are under mounting pressure from the rest of the world just like Lee has been from other Governors. But they will be a great source of data especially going into next fall when the virus re-emerges and there is still no vaccine.

Since Beatrice is a history and government school teacher, perhaps she should be the one to tell Gov. Bill Lee, that the Mayor, the Governor, the President are members of the Executive Branch of government. She should remind him that the Executive branch does NOT write Laws. She could even go a little further and tell him that the Judges (the Judicial Branch) does NOT write Laws either. She should tell him that the Legislative Branch writes the laws and oh, they have to follow the constitution or even those laws would not be valid.

• Pingback: Friday, April 3