Former Sen. Jim Tracy joins Commerce Department

Gov.-elect Bill Lee speaks to a Chamber of Commerce event in Memphis on Dec. 6, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Former state Sen. Jim Tracy (R-Shelbyville), who gave up his seat in 2017 when President Donald Trump appointed him as a state USDA director, is joining the state Department of Commerce and Insurance in Gov. Bill Lee’s administration.

Here are the personnel moves announced by the department on Friday:

NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance (TDCI) announces senior leadership role additions and staffing updates from Commissioner Carter Lawrence.

“With these senior leadership staffing updates, our Department is well positioned to continue our best-in-class service for Tennesseans and to further our mission of protecting Tennesseans through balanced oversight of insurance while fostering fair marketplaces and consumer education that promote the success of individuals and businesses while serving as innovative leaders,” said TDCI Commissioner Carter Lawrence. “I welcome these staff promotions and additions and thank them for their service to our great state.”

TDCI Staffing Updates:

Jennifer Peck assumes the role of Chief of Staff and Chief Operating Officer, while continuing in her role as Deputy Commissioner – overseeing Fire Prevention/State Fire Marshal’s Office, the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy (TLETA)/Peace Officer Standards Training (POST) Commission and the Tennessee Emergency Communications Board (TECB). Previously, Peck served as an Executive Director in the Division of Regulatory Boards. Prior to joining the Department, she was the owner of Peck Legal Group, PLLC, which specialized in domestic relations litigation and mediation. She is a graduate of Auburn University and the Regent University School of Law.

Toby Compton is promoted to Deputy Commissioner – overseeing Insurance, Regulatory Boards, Securities and TennCare Oversight. Previously, Compton served as Assistant Commissioner for the Division of Regulatory Boards for the Department. Prior to joining the Department, Compton was the President and CEO for Associated Builders and Contractors for Greater Tennessee, held leadership positions at the Metro Sports Authority in Nashville and worked at the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development. He is a graduate of Lipscomb University and Cumberland University.

Bill Huddleston is promoted to Assistant Commissioner for Insurance. A TDCI team member since 2014, Huddleston previously served as the Director of Insurance where he oversaw the division’s administration which includes agent licensing, company examinations, company financial analysis and other duties. A certified public accountant, Huddleston also served as Receivership Director in the Insurance Division. In 2017, he was a recipient of a Governor’s Excellence in Service Award for his leadership in the Division of Regulatory Boards. Before joining TDCI, Huddleston served as a legislative auditor with the Office of the Comptroller. A Nashville native, Huddleston is a graduate of Lipscomb University as well as Harding University. He is married with three children.

Alex Martin joins the Department as Assistant Commissioner for the Division of Regulatory Boards. Previously, Martin served as Deputy Director of External Affairs and Director of Appointments for Governor Bill Lee. In his prior role, Martin worked with the Lee Administration to appoint many of the members of the Department’s boards and commissions within the Division of Regulatory Boards. An eighth generation Tennessean, Alex is a graduate of Tennessee Tech and served on the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

Jim Tracy joins TDCI as a Senior Advisor to the Department. Tracy most recently served as State Director for USDA Rural Development in Tennessee – working with rural communities to address local issues including facilities, broadband, water and sewer. In this role he facilitated federal grants and lower-interest loans for businesses and citizens. Tracy’s list of public service spans decades – having previously served as a State Senator, Bedford County Board of Education member, President of the Shelbyville-Bedford County Chamber of Commerce, founding member of the Bedford County Economic Development and Tourism committee and Chairman of the Tennessee Leadership Council of the National Federation of Independent Business. For more than 20 years, Tracy owned and operated his own insurance company where he sold all lines of insurance. He is a graduate of the University of Tennessee at Martin with a degree in Agriculture Education. Jim and his wife, Trena, have been married for over 30 years and have three sons: Chad, Craig and Connor.

Patrick Merkel is promoted to Director of Insurance after having served as Chief Counsel for Insurance, Securities and TennCare Oversight since July 2019. Merkel is on his second term of service with the Department. He first joined the Department in 2007 and worked with the Division of Regulatory Boards and as Chief Counsel for Fire Prevention and Law Enforcement. Merkel previously worked in private practice representing clients before the Tennessee Motor Vehicle Commission, the Tennessee Office of the Attorney General and Reporter, state trial courts and the Tennessee Court of Appeals. Merkel is a graduate of Michigan State University and the University of Dayton School of Law. Patrick is married with a daughter and two step-sons.

57 Responses to Former Sen. Jim Tracy joins Commerce Department

Beatrice Shaw says:

Recycle another one there are only a few people qualified to be in government so I’m glad they are keeping the same ones

Tim Skow says:

Jim Tracy is a very good man. The Gov and citizens are TN are fortunate to have him on their team [again] NO MATTER what whining Beatrice is whining about today, Tracy is certainly a good add to the team.

LeeAnn C. says:

Jim Tracy is indeed a very good man with decades of valuable experience as an independent businessesman and in government. I don’t agree with many of Governor Lee’s decisions, but this one is a win for Tennesseeans!

Cannoneer2 says:

How many “Senior Advisors” does Tennessee need? Looks like a nebulous title to me. Wonder where the “streamline state government” folks are hiding?

Cannoneer2 says:

And once again, how much is the taxpayer on the hook for in this case?

Jim Tracy left the State Senate with an American Conservative Union lifetime rating of 90% so that’s all the assurance you need Cannoneer to be confident no matter how much he is earning in his new position, the taxpayers will be getting their money’s worth.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Stuart, what can you tell us about the new charges against the President of the CPAC? Is this just another misunderstanding from the legal domain?

Sorry Taxpayer, I am only interested in (1) making the Republican Party as conservative as possible, and (2) depriving liberals of elective office. I rely on you to pour over the news to see what REPUBLICAN is indicted, arrested, out on bail etc. in order to keep me informed. Shame I don’t know anyone who will do the same regarding the Democrats, but then again, I don’t share your fascination with political misdeeds.

You will be happy to know that I never have contributed a dime to CPAC nor even thought of attending one of their conferences (though if your a 20something conservative I hear its a blast). BTW other than their invaluable ratings, I don’t have anything to do with the American Conservative Union or the Heritage Foundation either. Too Conservatism Inc. establishment for my taste if you know what I mean.

Isn’t heritage action a 504?

Taxpayer #314 says:

So Stuart, it doesn’t bother you at all that Matt Schlapp, the chairman of CPAC, the largest group of your favorite Conservatives is paid $750,000 to lobby (bribe) to get a pardon from Trump for Ole Pete Petit, a low life crook? And he failed to get the pardon to boot. I thought you just agreed that we should not have any more crooks in politics at all, no matter what party they were in. This is the type of character you think is qualified to rate the rest of the conservative party for you. This is the type person you trust to make judgements for you and in the end determine how you will vote? No wonder Conservatives are in such decline!

And on that note of lobbying. Trump made a big deal of the exec order he signed in 2017 that no one could enter into lobbying for 5 years past his last Fed job. The night before he “left the building” he rescinded that order. Now all of his family, himself, and those cronies who held cabinet and other positions will not have to wait 24 hrs before beginning to Influence Peddle.

This will take some unraveling. It bothers me every time someone breaks the law. It doesn’t bother me that there is lobbying going on, it’s one of the more lucrative industries right here in Nashville. In a democracy constituents have a right to pay for professionals to plead their case before those tasked with making and enforcing the laws. There are rules, however, regarding lobbying that people must obey or try to change. People who violate the law should be fairly tried and punished if found guilty. My only regret is that you liberals have given government as much power as you have which makes lobbying all the more important and lucrative and with President Big Guy you are determined to give it more power still.

Matt Schlapp has never been my cup of tea. He is the very personification of Conservatism Inc. and now you say he is charged with breaking the lobbying law. Despite all of this I have no reason to doubt that Matt and everyone at the ACU knows the difference between laws that increase the power of government, raise taxes to finance that power, capitulate to Cultural Marxist pressure to unravel the certainties in our society etc. and those laws that don’t. That’s all the ratings that I find so valuable do, nothing more and nothing else. They are based on the voting records of the legislators, not whether Matt Schlapp has violated this or that law or regulation.

Finally Taxpayer, I assume you live in Tennessee. If my assumption is correct you live in a state where conservatism is on the rise as one Republican legislator is more conservative than his predecessor in an almost unbeaten string of success and liberal Democrats have no chance of being elected statewide and can only be elected locally in our few liberal ghettos. If you would stop paying so much attention to which Republican is being investigated/charged with what crime or violation and pay more attention to the ACU/Heritage Action ratings of our legislators you would be more informed.

I just reread Taxpayer’s reply and now I’m not sure Matt Schlapp broke any law at all. Apparently it’s Petit who is the crook not Matt. So Taxpayer is angry at Schlapp for lobbying in favor of an action that Taxpayer opposes for someone that Taxpayer doesn’t like and that’s the reason Taxpayer feels that I should discard the ratings of the American Conservative Union. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Matt Schlapp just robbed one of the best political robbers around. We shall see weather he is charged and prosecuted for any “crimes” or not. Stuart has already made up his mind. Let’s see, was the crook in jail paying a lobbyist or was he paying a bribe to obtain a “get out of jail card”? My observation remains that you do not find it the least bit odd that the manager of CPAC would do something like that. I find it laughable that anyone would accept Schlapp’s guidance on who you might vote for and still claim to be an informed or enlightened voter. Will he return the money since he failed in his mission? Stuart, You should discard or at least question the ratings because they were put together by a person of highly questionable character, not because I don’t like him. If you have a crooked umpire and you know it, I would think that you would not want to play that game.

1. Schlapp and his wife Mercedes have the reputation of being money grubbers, that’s what I mean by Conservatism Inc. There is an entire industry of people in Washington who do nothing but rake in dollars from earnest people on all sides of the political spectrum and in one way or another make a ton of money while accomplishing little. I have never sent the ACU any money, ever.

2. That’s what Schlapp does. He and his wife appear on Fox frequently because they are articulate and conservative. They are influencers and self promotors so I don’t think it’s strange that he is using the fact that he is very well connected to make money. That’s what the D.C. schmoozer/influencer class does for a living. Nothing unusual about that.

3. It’s funny how you refuse to acknowledge that the ratings are simply a numerical score of how legislators vote. There’s is a countless array of scorecards around published by the left and right. In the case of ACU/Heritage you can see the actual legislation on which the scores are based. If you look at the legislation keyed by the scorer in almost every case you and I would agree that a vote one way is right and the other is left. Schlapp has little to do with the ACU scorecard, just as Trumka has regarding the AFL-CIO scorecard, just as Kay James the Heritage Action scorecard. You’re personalizing these scorecards way too much.

4. The scorecards are not intended to be a dispassionate analysis of anything. They are a highly partisan undertaking used by partisans like myself. They simply reduce a voting record to a numerical score. They have little to do with the personal qualities of the head of the organization that compiles the scorecard. I think they are very useful. They certainly stand in the way of a Lamar Alexander (Heritage-50%) running for re-election and running an add telling the voters that he’s a (“down home Tennessee conservative”) without getting a contemptuous laugh from anyone who looks at his Heritage score.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Stuart, Can you and I can agree that what Schlapp is doing is not reflective of anyone that you or I would want to be involved in our politics? If we can agree that there ought to be a minimum standard of ethics and character for anyone involved in politics, that would go a long way towards correcting what is wrong with our politics at the moment. Mistakes are OK, we can deal with that, but repeat ethical offenses or any convicted law breaking by any politician, on either side should be an automatic disqualifier. Can you agree to that at least?

Taxpayer, our differences are political, of course, but more fundamentally I bet they are personality differences which is so the root cause of people being right-wing vs. left-wing. In a country of 330 million there are all types and I am uncomfortable saying that anyone shouldn’t be involved in politics. We conservatives haven’t expressed ourselves in that way since the McCarthy era in the early fifties. As I said “Matt Schlapp has never been my cup of tea” because he seems to be on the receiving end of the conservative money tree as it sheds its dollars and I am not sure what he ever accomplishes other than making the Schlapp family very financially secure.

I don’t care that our friends and neighbors right here in the Nashville area get hundreds and thousands, if not millions, to “petition the government” on behalf of “petitioners.” As a conservative I deeply regret that liberals have made all levels of government so powerful that citizens have to spend that kind of money to influence the creators and enforcers of laws in order to function in our society.

Of course there should be “. . .a minimum standard of ethics and character for anyone involved in politics. . . .’ but the trick is for you and I to agree on what does and what does not violate those standards. For example, on its face there is nothing wrong with Schlapp earning money to lobby for some dirt bag anymore than there would be anything wrong for a lawyer to represent the same dirt bag in court but I don’t think you agree. Between us I seem to be sort of a “loose constructionist” and you a “strict constructionist” as to what constitutes “minimum standards of ethics and character” which is a nice reversal of roles for a change.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Stuart, there is a huge difference between a lawyer representing a crook who is out of jail and being charged with another crime and is back in court again and a convicted crook currently in jail committing another crime (bribery) while in jail. There is a very fine line between lobbying and bribery – that is what requires all the pesky laws you don’t like -it governs such behavior. When politicians stretch those laws to their advantage, the people demand more laws to limit the abuse. The conservatives use flowery language to twist the facts. I don’t like or put up with people that stretch the truth like you and Trump and so many other conservatives do. Examine the mess that Trump left, he started his deep dive into total rejection by stretching the truth a little at a time and people like you believed him at first – now you won’t have anything to do with him and denounce his entire regime. Again, it is OK to make mistakes but crooked people do not belong in politics, so yes I do try to point them out no matter the side they are on – no exceptions, off the bus, no support. I just wish conservatives could agree on that one point.

Ah, this gets more and more interesting.

1. NO, there is no difference at all much less a “huge difference.” Bill of Rights Amendment VI “In all criminal prosecutions the accused shall enjoy the right. . .to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.” I don’t quite understand what distinction you are trying to make between one person vs. another person accused of a crime and his right to a lawyer, but none exists in law under the constitution. Of course, therefore there is no moral stigma that carries over to the attorney representing any accused because unless the accused has an attorney we can’t send anyone to jail no matter how heinous the crime.

2. No, people like me never believe Trump or any other public figure without evidence to support what the public figure says unless the statement is self-evidently true. It is convenient to label everyone on the right as a Trumpidian but that simply isn’t true anymore than the falsehoods that Trump utters. People like me were opposed to Trump in 2016 because we thought he was a No Record Candidate who shouldn’t and couldn’t win and after he won and governed we thought he couldn’t win again. Were you out of the country or mentally incapacitated during the 2016 Republican Primary when Cruz, Rubio, Kasich et al were opposing Trump?

3. People like me believed there was fraud in a number of states with the mail in voting/drop box fiasco but we required proof that it rose to the level that it would have made a difference in the election. Proof that would stand up in a court of law. That was the obligation of the Trump campaign to show such proof which it obviously failed to do. End of story. Time to prepare for the 2022 elections.

4. Conservatives are much more law and order types than liberals. “Do the crime and do the time,” that’s the mantra. Of course this standard applies to everyone whether conservatives approve of the accused or his politics or not. It is the obligation of the state to prove the crime, not on the accused to prove his innocence so we conservatives patiently wait until the legal process works itself out and there is a guilty verdict. Simple. “Feelings” or Trump Derangement Syndrome has no place in a discussion of guilt or innocence.

“during the 2016 Republican Primary when Cruz, Rubio, Kasich et al were opposing Trump?”

What were they opposing him FOR? They accurately identified his weaknesses. READ what they had to say about him and no one would want the country led by such a person.

THEN….for personal political ambition they all fell in line. AND that, even though you don’t want to admit it, is what caused the necessary votes from independents and some college educated Rep to fall away in 2020. Whimsical and whipsaw governance with plenty of crony waivers for each Ex order are what did him in AND never did Cruz or the rest push back. THEY caused a mis-trust of the top of the Rep ticket.

AND……Stuart……did you hear that IVanka is going to challege Rubio in his 2022 re-election. She will start of with 200M of Daddy’s so-called “legal Defense Fund” stash.

Yes MARLE that’s how political parties operate in our two party system. Different factions fight like hell during the primary and once a winner is decided upon by the electorate all factions on the right come together and support the victorious Republican and all factions on the left do the same and support the Democrat. That’s what gives our politics whatever coherence it has and makes governing possible. The fact that your Trump Derangement Syndrome causes you to be so enraged by this very ordinary type of political behavior is a shame.

I regret that I don’t know one of the geniuses who voted for The Big Guy because they don’t like Trump’s personality and/or “Whimsical and whipsaw governance. . . .” especially if they live in one of the battle ground states. How great it would be over the next four years to have someone to call to thank for each hideous executive order that opens our border, cancels the Keystone Pipeline, admits sexual eccentrics into the military and girls locker rooms, etc. etc.

Rubio (Heritage-81%) is no conservative heartthrob but Ivanka and that robot husband of hers are flaming liberals. There are plenty of prosperous conservatives in Florida who will give Rubio all the money he needs. If that weren’t so I would be sorely tempted to send him a grant in aid from the Stuart I. Anderson Evangelical Conservative Political Contribution Fund.

Trump caused his loss. PERIOD. And the republicans who failed to hold him accountable for anything contributed to his Four Year Long stretch of self destruction for the party.

If at any point REpublican politicians and Donors had tamped down the ” Let Trump being Trump” crap NONE of what has happened would have transpired. GA could not have turned out the vote for Biden or against the Bobbsie Twins.

Trump Derangement IS indeed real. It is sickness those who enabled him have had for 4 years. The people who point out leprosy are not the problem. The people who leave it untreated to the point of near-death are the problem

Of course, that’s the source of our fundamental disagreement. In a democracy it is the voters who are responsible for choosing the government. In this case the choice before the voters was voting for a jerk who would lead a moderately conservative government however “whimsical and whipsaw” vs. a partially demented political hack whose party is dominated by far left ideologues who he inevitably will have to satisfy. When the allegedly adult “college educated Rep” and right leaning independents of a somewhat conservative bent choose the latter rather than the former THEY are responsible for the dreadfulness that is to follow for they have lost all sense of proportion.

I hope they enjoy the next four years their handiwork has brought us. I know if I knew any of them I would hang every lunacy that is to follow around their fool necks.

No president has lost after just ONE term for the Last 30 years. And then it was an “old” guy who lost to the saxophone playing cool 40 something.

This time a Republican who spent 4 years “letting Trump be Trump”. That phrase describes a dilemma that Rep pols and donors wrestled with. Should they; shouldn’t they? And they concluded Wrong. Dead Wrong. To the destruction of the party.

Trump is not only the first president in 30 Years to lose after one term but the first to lose to an old man who you describe as senile. WHAT does THAT tell you?
            Republicans LOST, not because of a charismatic youthful alternative as was the case with Bush, but to a washed up has been.

No one in the Rep party saw this coming. Head too far in the sand or elsewhere. ALL your fault for the party being represented by a Candidate you insisted on “letting Trump be Trump”.

At least once in 4 years had anyone told Trump to knock off the nonsense b/c he was going to lose an election for the party this would certainly have turned out better. But silence produced a Loser. Good Job!!!!!!

Probably not. Trump is notorious for listening to NO ONE! You might be surprised but he considers himself a political genius. Well, he isn’t guilty of inciting a riot at the Capitol but I do think his unique way of departing the presidency has finished him. Surely the bulk of Republican voters have had enough of the Trump Show. Now the interesting question will be how many of the less rabid Trumpidians stick with the Republican Party in 2024 when Trump isn’t on the Republican ticket.

You’ve got important issues in 22. The Gov of GA for example has been threatened with being primaried. There are 33 senate seats up with 8 in swing states, 4- Rep and 4-Dem.

Add to that the threat of Ivanka in FL and the Gov of AR where Trump’s ever-lying press secretary will be seeking the nomination. EVERY lie she told on Trump’s behalf is on tape from 2017- 2019.

The memory of him will be haunting Rep for years. I guess you’ll say that’s negative. I call it reality, Pollyanna!

You are flirting with joining the totalitarian left in hanging a sign of contempt around the neck of anyone who worked for Trump or was in the Trump administration which I certainly wouldn’t do. Sarah Sanders had a job to do for Trump and she did it well. Again, much like attorneys and lobbyists, paid flaks are necessary to present one side of the story and I don’t hold them responsible for those that hire them.

I needn’t micro-analyze Sander’s record with Trump to decide how I feel about her candidacy. As I didn’t support Bill Lee for Governor so I wouldn’t support Sanders because both were/will be No Record Candidates. End of story. As for Ivanka, she’s reliably reported to be a liberal who opposed much of her father’s policies. Of course, she would be another No Record Candidate seeking very high office. What is interesting here is seeing how many rabid Trumpidians support her because of the “Trump” name despite her opposition to Trumpism as in policy.

No question Trump will present a problem in 2022 and 2024. This was predictable after Republican and then all voters failed to defeat him in 2016. As I said then, BIG MISTAKE!

Beatrice Shaw says:

Lurping up that money

Beatrice, why don’t you do something useful and become a conservative so you can join this country’s freedom fighters in slashing the power of all levels of government. If we succeed you will find the money will vanish and the lurping will stop.

Cannoneer2 says:

Micah Van Huss and the Hill brothers are sitting by the phone, anxiously waiting to be called for their new jobs as “advisors”. Don’t forget them, Bill!

Did he hire Timothy (ACU-88%) too? Oh how wonderful! Since Timothy lost the election for First District U.S. Congress by an eyelash despite my financial support I have been worried sick about him and his future. I am no longer worried, however, about the new Congressman who was elected, Diana Harshbarger. Diana was kind enough to call me despite my support of Timithy to give me assurance that as an endorsee of none other than Ted Cruz (Heritage-91%) she intends to compile a definitive conservative voting record during her career in Congress. Her Heritage score, of course, will tell the story but since speaking to Diana I feel certain that she will be definitively more conservative than her predecessor the readily forgettable Phil Roe (Heritage-68%).

So good for Cannoneer to give me the opportunity to mention Diana succeeding Roe for the sake of Taxpayer who is so busy scouring the news for misdeeds by Republicans and conservatives that he is unaware of the ascendancy of conservatives vs. the centrist/tepid conservative “Howard Baker” wing of the party. As we all wait with excitement for the latest Heritage scores to come out for the 117th session of Congress I have every confidence that this ascendancy will be dramatically visible as we compare Hagerty vs. Lamar, Diana vs. Roe which will follow the same pattern as Marvelous Mark vs. Marsha, Rose vs. Black, etc. etc.

Are you suggesting Mark run against Marsha?

You say things like that to either cause me dismay, aggravation, or to frighten me. We all know Marsha will be our U.S. Senator for however long she wants to be our U. S. Senator I am pleased to say.

I look upon my efforts on this forum as primarily an evangelical one as I attempt to motivate those searching for an answer to the problems that confront America to look rightward ever rightward. Secondly for those not equipped temperamentally to move right I seek to educate so they at least have a better appreciation for libertarian conservatism than they no doubt received in school.

In this particular instance I was simply pointing out how Marvelous Mark Green (Heritage-100%!) has a higher score than Marsha (Heritage-85%) in keeping with the rightward movement of the elected Republican officeholders as the old Howard Baker clones retire and stalwart conservatives take their place. Right now Marvelous Mark is doing a fabulous job as my congressman which he will be for as long as he chooses baring redistricting. Of course, that assumes Hagerty wants to be a Senator for as long as he chooses by being dramatically more conservative than awful Lamar. If we don’t get that improvement Marvelous Mark might just have other plans.

All those “versus” seemed (and actually DID) represent two people who competed for the same job. I can only Read what you Wrote.

No, one succeeded the other as in Hagerty succeeding Lamar, Diana succeeding Roe, Marvelous Mark succeeding Marsha, etc. thus illustrating how successful we freedom fighters have been moving the Tennessee GOP to the right.

Well for Mark to be the senator from TN someone’s got to move out of the way…oh, wait a minute, you think Marsha’s going to be the first woman president, right????? I get it !

Think Marsha senior Senator from Tennessee F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Not that Marsha isn’t Presidential timber you understand, but she is just so good at being Senator from Tennessee I can’t bear that thought of losing her to the presidency.

In 2020 conservatives were caught flatfooted in the Republican primary for U. S. Senate without a proven conservative candidate. We must avoid that at all costs.

As you may recall, Bill Hagerty was an Anemic Record Candidate and what record he had shows that he was all too comfortable at the centrist/tepid conservative end of the Republican Party. Now he talked a good conservative game during the election but as a conservative I will just follow his Heritage score to see whether he walks-the-walk if you know what I mean. If not, we have Marvelous Mark just sitting in the bullpen with his warmup jacket on ready for stalwart conservatives to signal that it’s time to warmup there’s a race to be won should the need to arise because Hagerty’s score isn’t around Marsha’s 85 at a minimum. Even 85 pales to inadequacy when compared to Marvelous Mark’s 100 I’m sure you will agree.

Ever the comedian…I take you comments on Marsha for the joke I just know you meant them to be.

I know what a perfectionist you are, so I very gently would remind you that for the last twenty years we have had “Uniter” Bush, Obama, and Trump as President. From the top of your program that should read “a screaming mediocrity, a grievance mongering leftist, and an ignorant narcissistic blowhard.” For the next four years we can look forward to our Head of State being either The Big Guy or KAmala (or Kamala). In your program that should read a partially demented political hack or his shrewish far left Vice President.

And you question whether Marsha is presidential timber? My Lord, considering the aforementioned depressing ensemble I would take Marsha over that lot in a heartbeat. Now that I reviewed the matter I will even be prepared to forgo having her as my U.S. Senator, especially if Marvelous Mark replaces her.

After having written

So….you have come full circle from senator-forever to president replaced by Mark (my original question). Once again I have helped you organize your muddled thought process. You’re welcome!

You did indeed, and in your uniquely negative way. It’s simply by your commenting that the thought of Marsha being President had to be a joke caused me to think “Perhaps Marsha being President might be even preferable to her being the great senator that she is todayl” after which I compared her to previous Presidents in our recent history and I changed my position. Thank-you MARLE for being you.

Church Pew Lee says:

exactly – the taxpayers should be happy to pay for all of them to have state jobs and benefits while Lee’s policies have put so many businesses out of business.

Cannoneer2 says:

I don’t think Timothy has been hired yet, but don’t lose hope!

Beatrice Shaw says:

he better not hire Islamaphobes and bare knuckled conservatives.!!! There will be a surge against him he will have difficulty overcoming in the next Primary. There is no room for hate and bigotry in government.

I know many of you greeted reports that Beatrice Shaw was on the short list for appointment as Bill Lee’s top political advisor with skepticism and laughter. Well, I am sure that sage advice Beatrice has just delivered in three short sentences will put that skepticism to bed in a hurry.

Cannoneer2 says:

Love the picture that heads this thread, Bill talking to his union friends…

Church Pew Lee says:

It is so refreshing that whenever a former elected state GOP individual or other person with strong ties to the GOP suddenly needs a job that, wow, there happens to be a high paid vacancy in Bill Lee’s administration.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Republicans are professionals when it comes to monetizing their positions and friendships both at the city, state and Federal levels.

And I bet you typed that with a straight face with The Big Guy a multi-millionaire with, what is it – four houses, after about 50 years on a government salary to say nothing of the rest of the Biden Crime Family who are distinguished for being so darn undistinguished.