First House Republicans begin to call for Casada to step down as speaker

House Speaker Pro Tem Bill Dunn (R-Knoxville) presents school voucher legislation on May 1, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

The text messaging scandal surrounding House Speaker Glen Casada is now leading some fellow Republicans to call for him to resign from from his leadership post.

House Speaker Pro Tem Bill Dunn (R-Knoxville):

House Majority Whip Rick Tillis (R-Lewisburg) told The Tennessean’s Emily West that Casada “needs to step down.”

Here’s Rep. Jeremy Faison (R-Cosby):

Rep. David Hawk (R-Greenville):

The Tennessean reports that a caucus conference call with Casada on Wednesday also included some supportive words from members:

Reps. Andy Holt, R-Dresden, and Susan Lynn, R-Mt. Juliet, offered their support to the speaker.

House Majority Leader William Lamberth, R-Portland, reminded members of the caucus that “the sky is not falling.”

Lamberth added, “This is one of those type things that we just thoughtfully proceed together in whatever direction we need to.”

13 Responses to First House Republicans begin to call for Casada to step down as speaker

Jeremy Faison and Rick Tillis are two members of the Toadying Ten who voted against closing Republican primaries to voters who aren’t Republicans. Centrist Republicans who so desperately need a well financed conservative opponent in the next Republican primary. To paraphrase Henry II, Will no one rid us of these toadying centrists?

David Collins says:

Stuart, it seems that anyone who disagrees with you on ANYTHING automatically is not really a republican, not really a conservative and barely rates at all as being human.

A little over the top don’t you think David? There is something you said that gives me the opportunity to point something out that gives me a little pride. You probably never noticed it but in all my jeremiads against Republicans who aren’t strong conservatives I never use the term “RINO” because in fact I don’t believe anyone has any right to define who is or who isn’t a Republican. In fact the term “RINO” annoys me almost as much as open primaries and centrist Republicans.

Not quite David. It’s simply when you vote against closing the primaries that the vast majority of Tennessee Republicans led by conservatives so ardently want because we are tired of Democrats piling into the Republican primaries in order to vote for the most liberal candidates on the ballot then you parlay that behavior with being the first off the blocks to call for the resignation of the most conservative House Speaker we have had in memory, I don’t believe it’s a stretch to regard your conservative credentials as suspect.

Jason Wallflower says:

Stuart, what in the world are you reading/watching that gives you any remote idea that what is happening is okay? This is possibly the biggest scandal since Blanton, and you are throwing your support behind the 2019 Blanton.

Stop making excuses for bad people, bad legislators, and bad policy. You may not like it, but it’s okay to be a good person and a conservative.

Jason, help me out. Let’s forget the marginal character on whom Glen speculated and lost. I believe the character just deprived himself of the first and last six figure salary he has or will ever know. Otherwise as far as I’m aware, what Glen did is engage in private banter with a close friend and associate of the type that I believe 85% of perfectly honorable American men have engaged in on a number of occasions sometime in their life and this is what you call “. . .the biggest scandal since Blanton. . . .” Let’s not dissect the words of a silly, stupid conversation such as that, it’s the type of conversation that I’m talking about.

Did Glen mistreat anyone or harm anyone in any way? Was the integrity of the government of the state of Tennessee put in danger? I believe all Glen did was forget the wise counsel of Cardinal Richelieu, “Never write a letter. Never destroy a letter.”

MarLE says:

It isn’t the Banter, Stuart. It is the total lack of judgement. How do you not get this? I am nearly 70 yo and still remember 2 valuable pieces of advice from my father from a half century ago: 1) don’t mess with the IRS 2) the best secret is kept by one. That latter has modern day variations that basically warn against putting anything you don’t want to see the light of day in writing

I agree! I don’t use social media to communicate and I never intend to do so. I’ve never speculated on the good behavior of people with a history of being jerks when much is at stake, never have, never will. Thus Glen has behaved in a most unStuart Anderson manner. The question is should Glen lose his job over what we all agree, including Glen, is a lack of sound judgement the result of which was actually “not much” as far as I’m concerned. I say “no,” others say “yes.”

Some who say “yes” simply want to use any excuse to get rid of a House Speaker who is simply too conservative for their taste. To those who consider themselves as reasonably conservative yet whose sensitivities have been violated by Glen I ask them, have you ever wondered why leftists have been so successful in capturing the Democratic Party while conservatives who are more numerous than leftists have to rely on the Republican Party that contain uncertain warriors indeed. Right now, I believe the Lt. Governor or District Atty of Virginia and the D.A. of Minnesota have credibly been accused by women who have accused them of violent behavior. Of course we all remember Bill Clinton’s nightmarish history with women. Again, this is violent behavior, not embarrassing sentiments on social media and bad hiring judgement. Were/are leftists in the Democratic Party clutching their pearls and demanding summary execution? Not on your life! They never lose sight of the big picture which is control and power while we are so, so easily distracted. They are winning, slowly but surely we are losing!

MarLE says:

He DID put it in danger. When you do things that allow you to be blackmailed (whether it happens or not) you are putting Everything in jeopardy.’

If what you are doing or saying is objectionable BUT you don’t care who knows it then you can’t be blackmailed. How difficult is it to exercise common sense and judgement? And when it becomes glaringly obvious that you can’t what should happen to your job?

And….given all of this do we actually know all of the stuff that is still out there on a fella with such lack of discretion. Ever heard the term ” I bet someone’s got pictures” to explain the inexplicable.

Silence Dogood says:

I agree with you, Stuart. Casada is too Conservative for the Republicans in the TN party. I am reminded that these are the same Tennessee Republicans that supported Lil Bob Corker and Lamar Alexander to be elected to the Senate.

Perry Aubric says:

David is exactly right. Thankfully, being a “real” Republican or a “real: conservative is not dependent upon Stuart Anderson giving his stamp of approval, nor upon agreeing with Stuart’s skewed view of the world, nor of marching in lockstep with whoever happens to be in leadership, no matter how unethical or vulgar or corrupt or disgusting his behavior.

Casada can step down and there is not even a remote possibility that his successor will not be a conservative Republican with petty much the same agenda and philosophy of government. But, hopefully, that new Speaker won’t be a sexual predator, won’t cover up for sexual predators, won’t wink at blatant open racism and won’t tolerate cocaine use on the job. Not really too very much to ask.

Casada’s own words and his own actions disqualify him. Stuart Anderson is irrelevant.

Casada needs to go. Period.

Silence Dogood says:

Conservatives have been losing to the liberals because Republicans are silly, shallow, not loyal, and weak. Based on this criteria Donald Trump should have dropped out of the run for President in 2016. I am not interested in this fake story. What I want to understand better is why is Tennessee continuing to allow the killing of children while still in the womb? That is worth talking about. Or talk about why E-Verify is not mandatory so we can save jobs and benefits for our children? Silly and weak.