FBI raids state lawmakers’ homes, offices

Federal agents and legislative staffers confer outside the office of Rep. Glen Casada (R-Franklin) on Jan. 8, 2021. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Federal agents descended on the homes and legislative offices of Republican state Reps. Glen Casada of Franklin, Robin Smith of Hixson, and Todd Warner of Chapel Hill on Friday. They also executed searches at the home of former Casada chief of staff Cade Cothren and three current legislative staffers.

The FBI didn’t say what it was investigating, though speculation spread around the Cordell Hull Building that agents were looking into efforts supporting Warner defeat of Rep. Rick Tillis (R-Lewisburg) in last year’s primary and the previous year’s push to pass a controversial school voucher bill.

36 Responses to FBI raids state lawmakers’ homes, offices

Phillip Lassiter says:

Glen needs to get busted Years of shenanigans

David Collins says:

Don’t worry. Just wait a few minutes and Stuart will enlighten us to what conspiracy theory makes all these folks innocent “victims”.

Perry Aubric says:

He’ll let us know that no amount of corruption, dishonesty, unethical practices, or immoral behavior matters one little bit as long as someone–even someone as sleazy and low down as Glen Casada–has a high Heritage score. As if anyone gives a tinker’s damn about that but him.

Jonathan Swift says:

Maybe Stuart’s house is next.

Not at all David, I never engage in speculative conspiracy theories.

As a long time supporter of Glen Casada (ACU-88%) I have every confidence that there either has been some mistake or at worst Glen has been peripherally involved in some technical violation of some regulation that will turn out to be the usual tempest in a teapot that the liberal media will over dramatize. I sent Glen a small “keep the lights on” campaign contribution last fall which he really didn’t need so I hope he can use it to clear up this mistake ASAP.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Yeah, the FBI are in the habit of “over dramatizing” all these raids where they raid 7 or more State Representatives offices and homes while investigating corruption. It is always “over dramatizing” for them to confiscate cell phones too. Isn’t the ring leader of this corruption investigation one of your high scorers on your Stuartscale? Is that how they get the high scores?

Cannoneer2 says:

Having been involved in pre raid preparations (documents and physical evidence), the FBI doesn’t just up and decide to raid a home or business on any given day. The one I was involved with took around 3 weeks of constant effort and preparation on everyone’s part, not to mention maintaining total secrecy. If they went to this level of effort, they are after something substantial.

Julie Quan says:

Maintaining tota secrecy? How did channel 5 know to be there when the FBI arrived?

Cannoneer2 says:

I was talking about a raid that took place 20+ years ago. I have no idea about specifics from this one. I am sure it was thoroughly planned before it was executed.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Can the FBI not see who contributed to Trump and investigate them for helping Terrorists? There has to be records.

Jonathan Swift says:

Beatrice, please don’t keep throwing fresh meat to Stuart.

GOD BLESS BEATRICE & PERRY! Between the two of them they afford the uninformed such a wonderful window on the humorless authoritarians that will be unleashed on the citizenry should the American people ever allow the left to obtain and maintain power for any appreciable length of time.

Jonathan Swift says:

Stuart, we already know what it is like to be under the control of humorless authoritarians: the “law and order” Republicans.

Have you gathered up enough money to bail out Casada yet?

Given the money I have contributed to him over the years he should have enough to clear up any difficulty over what I am sure was either a mistake or an insignificant violation of some long forgotten regulation.

Taxpayer #314 says:

He doesn’t care about you any more than he cares for the rest of us…but he does like your money.

If I want “caring” I’ll find myself a girlfriend or a cat (that shouldn’t necessarily be regarded as the order of preference), what I want is a voting record. Glen may only like my money, but I LOVE Glen’s voting record (ACU-88%) so we’re move than even.

Lance Persson says:

What nonsense. Making an accusation without providing substance to support it is quite irresponsible.\

Phillip Lassiter says:

Proud of you for waiting till after lunch to start boozing in heavy quantities. Disappointed you still drool all over a keyboard when you do. You must have attended a Republican n women’s meeting yesterday to be drinking so much.

The FBI may do that, because they sure will not investigate George Soros and his million to the Marxist BLM and Anfita.

Susan Patriots Reborn says:

Stuart, I compliment you. Although i don’t always agree with you 100%, you do seem to be the most intelligent, frequent poster!

Jason Wallflower says:

I just came in to see if Stuart was defending things.

Okay i am done now.

Jane says:

Who is Stuart anyway? Does anyone know? If he is the moderator here, he’s the most uninformed ( or misinformed), outdated and biased moderator I’ve ever seen.

Top of the page….”About TNJ” will tell you about the contributing editor of this blog. It’s not Stuart.

Just a citizen exercising the right of free speech Jane. Surely you have no problem with that do you Jane? I don’t want to continue to be uninformed and misinformed, however, so why don’t you bestir yourself to correct me where necessary. For that I thank you in advance.

David Collins says:

There may be a problem with Casada using campaign funds to either make bond or “clearing up the mistake” in that, last time I checked, it was against the law to use campaign funds for personal use. Just saying.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Haven’t you heard…Laws don’t pertain to republicans anymore.

Taxpayer #314 says:

I guess if the cocaine and all the sexual emails didn’t put Casada on the outs with the rest of the republicans, maybe bribery will. More republicans using illegal tactics to get their way is sadly NOT the least bit surprising in Tennessee. This is exactly why the republican party is declining across America. That truth is so hard for them to take.

Jonathan Swift says:

I think cheating is a basic competence for many Republicans, and apparently is the key to a high Heritage score.

Phillip Lassiter says:

who bets the swearing in of legislators Tuesday will be awkward?

Taxpayer #314 says:

Awkward is OK, just not bloody or deadly!

Cannoneer2 says:

Since the Tennessee Bureau of Ethics and Campaign Finance obviously isn’t pulling their weight, get rid of them. Save some money in Tennessee’s next budget!

Taxpayer #314 says:

Foxes watching the chicken coop!