Dolly Parton: No thanks to Tennessee Capitol statue

Gov. Bill Lee interviews Dolly Parton on Aug. 5, 2019, in Nashville. (Image credit: State of Tennessee)

Dolly Parton says she’s flattered Tennessee lawmakers want to place a statue of the singer on the state Capitol grounds, but is asking them to remove the legislation to do so from consideration.

“Given all that that is going on the in world, I don’t think putting me on a pedestal is appropriate at this time,” Parton wrote in a tweet. “I hope, though, that somewhere down the road several years from now or perhaps after I’m gone if you still feel I deserve it, then I’m certain I will stand proud in our great State Capitol as a grateful Tennessean.”

It’s not the first time Tennessee lawmakers have been rebuffed in efforts to honor a living figure. Former Gov. Winfield Dunn called an effort to rename the Cordell Hull Building after him “completely out of proportion with the historical context of our state.” He praised the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Hull as an “unblemished representative of what Tennessee is.”

33 Responses to Dolly Parton: No thanks to Tennessee Capitol statue

I hope the legislature does as she wishes…. she as become more liberal every day.
    Oh and Cordell Hull is a blemish on TN and the USA. ,,, Senator Dirksen tells how Cordell Hull, then Secretary of State, expounded to him the New Deal’s doctrine of corrupting the people for their own good. “My boy,” Hull said, “this follows a bent of human philosophy. At first people will demur at the idea of subsidies and accept them very reluctantly, and then after awhile they will accept them in good grace, and later they will demand them.”

Keith Richardson says:

If by saying that Dolly has “become more liberal every day,” you really mean that she didn’t kiss Trump’s ass, then you obviously don’t know the woman. Dolly kisses no ones ass. She is responsible for an amazing amount of the job growth in Sevier and surrounding counties. I was fortunate to be one of the volunteers who strenuously vetted and then handed $1,000 checks to families and individuals who lost their primary residence to the wild fires of 2016. It was a true life-saver for many in a time of high housing costs due to the massive loss in the local housing stock. She deserves every accolade she has received, and she fortunately can never be primaried by anyone. Our state legislature is an embarrassment to all thinking citizens. It is no wonder that they grasp at anything they think may make them look human. I’m happy that Dolly didn’t take the rancid bait.

Who is to say that if they do put a statue of her in the capitol and 20 years down the road the LGBTQ icon gets on the wrong side of public opinion, will they have issues of removing her statue to somewhere else?

Indeed, maybe she knows in her heart the when she was fifteen years old she laughed out loud when someone said that he wanted to become a female in order to avoid the draft and now she simply can’t stand the shame and banishment that will come her way from the showbiz loons when the leftist vigilante’s examine her background and her grave misconduct will come to light.

You are more than a little hung up on this…. Of all the many things that can get someone on the hot seat these days THAT is what comes to your mind. Just like Phil who constantly brings up drinking reveals a bit about himself perhaps there is something that has these thoughts so close to the surface.

Of all the things to comment about that I say in a given day, those concerning or tangentially related to sexual eccentricities seem to particularly evoke your ire. There must be something that makes you so particularly sensitive about comments concerning this particular matter that don’t meet with your approval.

I expressed no IRE. What in my comment suggested IRE? I simply note that Phil constantly brings up drinking. Again….no IRE. Just seems that drinking seems to come to his mind quite often. Same phenomenon with you. NO IRE. Just observation.

We both know that when Phil brings up drinking no one is discussing drinking EVER! On the other hand, when I mention sexual eccentricities it is always directly or indirectly related to what I am commenting about. It is therefore a bit bizarre for Phil to do what he does so frequently, about which you understandably comment. On the other hand, the Cultural Marxists have made the fluidity of sexual roles and sexual identity a topic for controversy that is often discussed on this forum and I participate in that discussion. It is one thing to disagree with what I say, it is another thing to question why I comment and to desire to attach some deep meaning as to why I comment that shows a sensitivity, if not ire, in regard to this subject that perhaps even you didn’t realize that you harbor.

Good point….no one was discussing eccentric sexuality either. BUT you, as you imagined what might cause Dolly problems, conjured up the one thing that seems very prominent in your thoughts. I don’t think there has ever been controversy surrounding her attitudes about gender identity. To the contrary she has been publicly never mentioning her opinion even when they attempted to draw her into the NC bathroom rules issue. Her comments were decidedly neutral…..unlike yours.

So….NO. No mention of drinking when Phil interjects that and no mention of anything related to Dolly Parton and her opinions or comments regarding YOUR obsession: “sexual eccentrics”

Marle, “Her comments were decidedly neutral” Np. She is PRO LGBTQ, that is Not neutral.

I refer you to James’ post at 4:07 PM yesterday when he mentioned Dolly being “an LGBTQ icon” and what happens if she gets on the wrong side of public opinion. So you are simply WRONG in saying that “. . .no one was discussing eccentric sexuality either.” I just carried a theme established by James one step further. You see, that’s something that is very appropriate when you hit “reply” to something that has gone before.

On the other hand you find no need to restrain yourself in a similar fashion in your replies. Rather, Erik can post a story about a puppy mill raided in Columbia and if you get some itch you scratch it by sending a “reply” about how Trump did nothing about the budget deficit. . .etc. etc. Of course, I do the same thing when I want to keep my conservative friends posted about the latest news from the exciting world of conservative politics, but at least I know I’m going off topic and I have the courtesy to type a line between the topic I am addressing and the vitally important news flash I am sharing with my conservative friends. That’s the difference between using this forum for itch scratching vs. the dissemination of news that will save this endangered country.

No one is wanting to deny you “your rights”. (You’re beginning to sound like the victim squad). You can let your thoughts about such things make to every one of your comments weaving it in whenever and wherever you wish. Just like Phil has the right to do. But it is curious that for him and you there is something rattling around that just Must find an outlet however off topic it is.

Cryan says:

One thing we can all agree on: Phil is definitely projecting his alcoholism. I hope he gets the help he needs. It is a disease.

Stuart is pretty defensive when it comes to certain issues, especially the strange relationship between Casada and his young chief of staff. Stuart likes to brag he’s never been married. So does Lyndsey Graham.

He HAS been married; he just likes to advise against it in favor of “renting women”. Let’s not make this different from what it is.

Indeed MARLE I enjoyed nuptial bliss for 22 years. There are simply certain participants of this forum to whom I never respond under any circumstances due to irreconcilable differences.

Cryan says:

My apologies, Stuart. Cary Grant was married five times. Rock Hudson and Elton John were married to women, too.

👍

Donna Locke says:

Speaking of pedestals, just as an aside, I never could stand Rush Limbaugh, and I’m glad he’s gone. He caused my family pain.

Oh the schmoozing amongst the fat cats who have made one another rich. My husband was watching the Fox News cryfest last night, and I said, “I can’t watch another second of this.” I had watched 10 seconds of it. I went back to my writing.

As for Dolly, does she ever mention all the volunteers in local communities who raise the money to fund the mailing library she takes credit for? Taxpayers fund this, too, and there are some hefty salaries, tax dollars, in state government relative to this.

Weather. Feed the birds. They need fat to keep warm. Black oil sunflower seeds. Suet. I mix a little peanut butter with bread crumbs. Pour hot water into pans outside for them. They need water. Thank you.

OK. What did Rush do that caused your family pain so that you dislike the man to such an extent? I could never take Rush for three hours a day every day. . .not anywhere near and I was never a regular listener. I must admit, the parodies of Schanklin (sp?) who is from Tennessee BTW were hysterical. Calling that obnoxious Barney Frank “The Banking Queen” and doing an amazingly close imitation of Frank singing appropriate lyrics to the “Dancing Queen” tune was the greatest. Rush was no Tucker Carlson, but dying at 70 when you have so much to live for is sad.

I do wonder if over the last year he had any regrets about all of that crap he bathed his lungs in throughout his adult life while getting his “formerly nicotine stained fingers” stained.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Rush hurt MANY people with fake news and a truly neanderthal message. This is America–we should be helping everyone…especially those that are less fortunate.

• Pingback: Friday, February 19

Donna Locke says:

My town — snowman with a MAGA hat.

And what a wonderful community it must be!

Donna Locke says:

It is indeed. My husband and I just got stuck in the icy slush going up the hill on our road, and people immediately came and helped us. We had to go take care of someone in town and were coming home.

How fortunate you are, if you lived in one of this state’s liberal ghettos people would have come out and carjacked your car after freeing you from the slush.

Donna Locke says:

Yeah, my kids are in danger going to most gas stations in Atlanta.

Cryan says:

Athens and Cleveland have the highest violent crime rates in the state. They’re also two of the most historically Republican areas in the state. I assume by “liberal ghetto” you actually mean scary black people.

Go back to bed, boomer. Daddy Casada will make you feel better in a minute, man.