DesJarlais, Blackburn get highest TN rankings from American Conservative Union

Republican Senate candidate Marsha Blackburn speaks at a rally in Franklin on Oct. 17, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Per a press release from the American Conservative Union:

Alexandria, VA – The American Conservative Union Foundation (ACUF), host of the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), has just released the 50th Edition of its annual Ratings of Congress.

In honor of the 50th Anniversary of the scorecard, ACUF has released a comprehensive new platform to help better hold lawmakers accountable to conservative principles. The system breaks down the voting records of over 15,000 historical and active lawmakers and identifies each lawmaker’s specific policy strength and weakness. The system also provides head-to-head comparisons of elected officials through its 1.4 million vote database. Lawmaker ratings will be used to determine speaking invitations to CPAC and other ACU regional events.

In the 2020 session, four members of the Tennessee congressional delegation received awards for earning scores of 80% or higher from ACUF:

Rep. Scott DesJarlais (96%)

Sen. Marsha Blackburn (96%)

Rep. John Rose (89%

Rep. Mark Green (85%)

Tennessee’s other Republican members received the following scores: Rep. Tim Burchett (79%), Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (79%), Rep. David Kustoff (78%), Rep. Phil Roe (74%), and Fmr. Sen. Lamar Alexander (74%).

Democratic lawmakers Rep. Jim Cooper (4%) and Rep. Steve Cohen (0%) qualified for ACUF’s “Coalition of the Radical Left” for earning scores of 10% or lower.

This year CPAC and ACUF will present awards to 122 of the 535 members of Congress. The awards are used to help voters and activists identify which lawmakers are best upholding conservative principles and who to rally behind.

To produce this year’s scorecard, the ACUF’s Center for Legislative Accountability analyzed every vote taken last session and selected a wide-array of issues relating to fiscal, tax, regulatory, education, environment, Second Amendment rights, election security, life, and government integrity. All lawmakers in America at the federal and state levels are scored on a 100-point scale.

44 Responses to DesJarlais, Blackburn get highest TN rankings from American Conservative Union

Cryan says:

I’m actually okay with the evolving definition of “conservative” if that means conservatives are now okay with adulterous physicians who impregnate their patients and threaten violence to force multiple abortions. Screw the Evangelicals.

Marsha Blackburn is no conservative, she is a Deep State Neo-Con.

Readers will note the limitation of this ACU rating when compared to the all important Heritage score that I like to use when speaking about legislators. These scores are only for the 2020 session of Congress whereas I use the lifetime Heritage scores which are a better indication of the entirety of a legislator’s work. Even so, Tennesseans can take pride in finding, at least for the 2020 session of congress as per the ACUF, we had no Republican legislator any worse than a tepid conservatives. Considering how many truly awful Republican centrists and liberals in Congress who make the Republican Party as ineffective as it is today, at least that’s something.

Mark barely got there. So why would his “perfect” 100 Lifetime score from heritage have an 85 from the other useless benchmark. His “lifetime” is virtually the same timeframe.

Cryan says:

Because “conservative” doesn’t mean anything in US politics. It’s a branding tool. Some of these organizations flip-flopped their rating systems to accommodate New York City’s favorite reality TV Star, Donald Trump.

Different organizations consider different votes in their rating systems and weigh the votes they do count differently. Heritage also counts sponsorship of legislation that it favors. I simply prefer Heritage as an organization to the American Conservative Union so I use their rating rather than the ACU’s and dozens of others that are available.

That is exactly what I have been saying all along. EVERY measure of “conservatism” should be relatively the same (not 100% vs 85%) so the benchmarks are measuring Obviously different issue votes.

Unless you know exactly What they are measuring (and the measurement doesn’t keep changing) then they are nearly USELESS.

Try thinking for yourself; for anyone who doesn’t need to be led around by the nose, it works.

The measuring stick is the CONSTITUTION. And Heritage and ACUF and CPAC do not use it, as they are Pro Military Industrial complex and World Trade.

And that of course is where we continue to differ. You can’t seem to understand that the ratings are invaluable tools for seeing where a legislator stands relative to others and a broad indicator of adherence to conservative ideology. Hopefully the days of a Lamar going off to congress and racking up a centrist record and coming back to Tennessee successfully fooling the voters by running for re-election as a “down-home Tennessee conservative” are gone forever. Of course, the scores in this article were just for one session of congress so they are limited regarding time frame.

Cryan says:

Adherence to conservative ideology doesn’t mean anything if conservative ideology changes frequently in order to prop up whichever celebrity personality is leading the GQP at any moment.

Trump’s personal spiritual advisor from Mt. Juliet, Gregg Locke, just cancel-cultured Franklin Graham from the GQP because Samaritans Purse is encouraging vaccines.

#GQP_CivilWar

Taxpayer #314 says:

Marle said it best when she described these scores as a “USELESS BENCHMARK.” A perfect description.

Bill says:

I so agree with you that it is a useless benchmark for rational politicians who want to solve the problems facing our state and nation. Politics is NOT a game of who is winning and who is losing.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Savages looting the country

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Of course Beatrice in a way you are right, but the fools keep re-electing Cooper and “Madman Muntz” Cohen anyway.

The last Davidson county election gave us the choice between a No-Record, Trump apologist and Cooper. That of course is thanks to Republican donors.

There are no party candidates in the Davidson county elections just so you know. But the candidates seek the financial backing of one party or its donors. Nice try to explain what you don’t know.

Actually that’s primarily because the Republican legislature bunched every Democrat they could into the 5th District so that it is a district in which a Republican has almost no chance of winning. As a result you don’t many highly electable Republicans who want to waste their time and money running in the 5th. Why any sensible conservative would want to own property or even live in such a district when you have so many solid Republican districts surrounding the 5th to choose from I can’t imagine.

Taxpayer #314 says:

You refer to illegal Gerrymandering performed in secrete by the Republicans. Doing illegal things seems to raise conservatives scores. How nice!

The beautiful homes on Old Hickory Lake are in Davidson. So is Percy Priest lake. Many people fly frequently for their jobs and not having to build an extra hour into the Airport trip (anticipating the possible traffic snarls on 65 or 24) makes their life much easier. Housing values are greater. Being 10 miles from your house to downtown nightlife is an attraction for performers and for patrons.

You don’t have a very good imagination if you can’t imagine why anyone might prefer this to living in an apartment or condo or overpriced house in Cool Springs.

Sorry, you did say “county elections” and I just assumed you were talking about Cooper and the congressional elections. Thank-you for explaining why conservatives actually choose to live in a liberal ghetto like Nashville. Not a choice I would ever dream of making for any of the reasons you mentioned but if those reasons are good enough for you to live in a lunatic asylum I say to each his own and God bless.

And of course do remember those reasons as you are paying your property taxes that reflect, is it a 32% increase that your leftist rulers recently passed. I warn all you Davidson County conservatives, get out while you can, because each election sees more and more leftist loons being seated on the “metro” council so there will be plenty more increases where those came from.

Why would you Assume I was talking about Cooper and congressional districts. What can Cooper do to me as a Federal Representative that you escape living in Franklin.

Only Cooper, the Mayor, can make material differences to me in Davidson that he can’t make on you in Williamson.

Seems clear that both your points and my response HAD to deal with Davidson County elections.

Cryan says:

This is weird. This post about DesJarlais and Blackburn has been up for a few hours, but we haven’t received any off topic posts from James blaming it on Article V, Donna claiming colloidal silver and keeping Mexicans out of Georgia is the only cure for coronavirus, Stuart reminding us what time Tucker Carlson airs, Phil projecting his alcoholism on everyone else, or Eddie trying to pretend he also doesn’t believe in QAnon. I hope they’re all okay.

Cryan says:

Watercress is the new hydroxychloroquine

Donna Locke says:

I agree with Mickey that Blackburn is not conservative.

I HAVE GREAT NEWS!!! Tennessee conservatives will be pleased to find that thanks to her votes in the current session of Congress Marsha’s Heritage score has gone up 2% to 87%. Her latest Club For Growth lifetime score is also 87%. Describe Marsha’s ideology anyway you choose, but to me and the two premier conservative political organizations in America Marsha is most certainly a “conservative” and the 3 1/2 Lamars Retirement Project hopes to place four more like her in the Senate in 2023.
      ____________________________________
      Speaking of which, as I write we have three stalwart conservative candidates seeking to replace Lamars in Alabama, North Carolina, and Ohio but I am concerned about Missouri where we seek to replace Roy Blunt (Heritage-64%). Conservative hopes are pinned on Rep. Jason Smith (Heritage-87%) but so far he has not announced his candidacy.

Cannoneer2 says:

Marsha Blackburn is one of the primary reasons that I no longer consider myself a Republican.

Cannoneer, the outward migration of centrists and even cooler tepid conservatives is exactly the phenomenon that I want to see happen in the Republican Party so long as insofar as they no longer consider themselves Republicans causes them to no longer vote in the Republican primaries. This is all part and parcel of my goal to see the Republican Party move RIGHTWARD, RIGHTWARD, RESOLUTELY RIGHTWARD.

Of course, as a brand new non-Republican who hopefully will no longer vote in Republican primaries, I wonder what you will do when the general election rolls around. Vote for the leftist loons or their enablers in the Democratic Party, join James White and disappear in the nowhere land of third party/Independent voters, or hopefully vote Republican as the best of the bad choices. I hope you let us know.

Cryan says:

Good luck, dumbass

Cannoneer2 says:

BTW, as long as Tennessee tax dollars go to fund Republican primaries in Tennessee, I plan to vote in them. If the Repubs can fund primaries themselves, THEN they are welcome to close them.

Of course you will Cannoneer and that is your right under our present awful election laws.. If the Republican Party moves rightward as I hope it will, however, it will emphasize the voters and deemphasize the Chamber and finally close the primaries so you will have to, at least officially, call yourself a Republican again.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Lots of Tennesseans feel that way, Cannoneer2

Taxpayer #314 says:

You know you are being toyed with when a conservative-pleader on line invites you to join a party that discourages party members from voting in primaries and then “votes Republican as the best of bad choices.” Perhaps you might do that as a voter once in your lifetime, but not every time you vote – the republican party is dwindling and dying from just such thoughts. Find a party that is proud of their candidates and encourages it’s voters to vote in every election, including primaries and most importantly, listen to candidates that will always tell you the truth. You don’t have to jump through hoops and play sneaky, conservative tricks to find someone to vote for.

Well Cannoneer I didn’t know you and Taxpayer are buddies outside this forum. According to Taxpayer you have been invited “. . .to join a party that discourages party members from voting in primaries. . . .” I didn’t read anyone doing that in this forum but then again Taxpayer often imagines things so he can set up straw men in order to deftly knock them down so there’s always that.

Anyway, today is your lucky day because Taxpayer has obliquely invited you to go from being an ex-Republican to joining Taxpayer and the other leftists in the Democratic Party. That’s a rather desperate move, are you sure you dislike Marsha enough to do something crazy like that?

Taxpayer #314 says:

Notice, Stuart does not say anything positive about the conservative party there or defend their sneaky tactics, he just criticizes me and my thinking. It sounds to me like HE is the desperate one appealing to one voter at a time. I find it hard to believe that advising someone to find a truthful candidate in any election constitutes being “buddies” but Stuart is known for such fantastic side-ways leaps of faith. Again, it is just one more example of the sneaky ways that conservatives try to spin the truth.

Cryan says:

He’s a hypocrite. He pretends like the GQP is a means to an end, and that he’s a true ideologue above any party. But he’s just a duped Faux News viewer and total tool of the GQP.

Taxpayer #314 says:

“Of course, as a brand new non-Republican who hopefully will no longer vote in Republican primaries, I wonder what you will do when the general election rolls around.” That is a quote from Stuart in his above statement. Then, in his next statement, and I quote Stuart again: “According to Taxpayer you have been invited “. . .to join a party that discourages party members from voting in primaries. . . .” I didn’t read anyone doing that in this forum but then again Taxpayer often imagines things so he can set up straw men in order to deftly knock them down so there’s always that.” Then he wants to call me out about quoting imaginary things and setting up straw men and describes me as desperate, none of which is true. He apparently feels superior to the other folks posting here and loves to correct and talk down to new posters.

Mike says: