Ted Cruz endorses Sethi, Blackburn backs Hagerty

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi speaks at a campaign event in Clarksville on Feb. 4, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, the runner-up to Donald Trump in the Tennessee’s 2016 presidential primary, is endorsing Manny Sethi in the Republican U.S. Senate primary. Trump, of course, has endorsed rival candidate Bill Hagerty.

Cruz’s endorsement of Sethi follows a nod by another 2016 presidential hopeful, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky.

“Primaries are a time for choosing,” Cruz said in a statement. “Too many times the Washington swamp tries to trick voters into choosing their preferred candidate.”

Trump carried 39% of the vote in Tennessee’s Republican presidential primary in 2016, while Cruz won 25%. The third-place finisher was U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who received 21%.

UPDATE: U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Brentwood) formally endorsed Hagerty on Wednesday afternoon.

“I fully support Bill Hagerty for the United States Senate, because I need a true Tennessee conservative to stand with me to protect our Tennessee values,” Blackburn said in a statement.

Paul campaigned with Sethi in Murfreesboro over the weekend, while U.S. Tom Cotton of Arkansas is coming to Middle Tennessee on behalf of Hagerty this week.

“Bill is a strong conservative leader and a trusted friend to President Trump. We need Bill in the U.S. Senate,” Cotton said in a Hagerty release.

(The Cruz announcement on Sethi follows.)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Republican Senate candidate and conservative outsider Dr. Manny Sethi was endorsed today by Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas). Senator Cruz released the following statement:

Primaries are a time for choosing. Too many times the Washington swamp tries to trick voters into choosing their preferred candidate.

We need conservative fighters in the US Senate that will stand up for our values and that is why I’m endorsing Dr. Manny Sethi for United States Senate.

Dr. Manny is a pro-life doctor who will fight to finally repeal Obamacare, defend the 2nd Amendment, and help get our economy moving again.

There’s a reason the Establishment’s throwing everything they’ve got at Dr. Manny these final days—he’s winning. I am urging Tennessee conservatives to stand up to the attacks, join me, and stand with Manny Sethi.

“I’m so honored to have the support of Senator Ted Cruz.” said Dr. Manny. “Along with conservative leaders like Senator Paul, Senator Jim DeMint, Mark Levin, Jeri Thompson, and so many others. It’s clear why the Establishment is attacking us – they’re afraid of conservatives winning.”

45 Responses to Ted Cruz endorses Sethi, Blackburn backs Hagerty

Cruz= Sethi; Cotton= Haggerty.

That really says it all and the comment that Haggerty will be “a friend” to the President. 3 years of observation lets me know what it takes to be considered a friend by This president……absolute, blind, loyalty no matter what including setting principles, ideology etc aside.

First Cruz (Heritage-91%) decides to disfigure his face with that hideous facial hair now this. I’m worried about the guy. Put me down as “undecided” for 2024 leaning Josh Hawley (Heritage-92%).

Eddie White says:

Come on now Stuart. There is no reason to get so bent out of shape at Sen Cruz. A lot of men( and a few women) are wearing beards these days…

A lot of people are doing a lot of things these days Eddie that is making our culture distinctly more coarse and brutish and contributing to Americans choosing “Wrong track” 70% of the time. Baring a dermatological problem, residual of trauma, or an inappropriately youthful appearance, beards generally have the affect making a man look older and more sinister and for preps are WRONG.

yes, Stuart a lot of people are…..chief among them our Commander in Chief who sent his best wishes to Jeffery Epstein’s right-hand procurer of teen girls. He never lets me down when I imagine he’s reached bottom.

Yes, that’s what is so darnn depressing about Cruz’s facial hair. It was in Cruz that I invested an embarrassing amount of money as an alternative to President Huckstering Blowhard and just look at him!!! What does it say about the man’s judgement anymore? What I can’t understand is that he has a wife and two daughters, don’t they ever look at him? Sorry MARLE, I hate to go on like this but as you can see I’m very disappointed and upset about this whole thing.

He’s aging Stuart. A beard hides a lot of nature’s wreckage…..jowls, sagging upper neck, skin issues. Start it in your 60’s and when you really need one it won’t look so strategic. Mitch McConnell should have considered one.

Exactly, pretty much the three extenuating circumstances that I listed. Heck, Cruz is only 49 and I once was thrilled and privileged to have my picture taken with him (which has turned out to be an unbelievably expensive picture indeed) and I don’t recall that he suffers from the other two. That’s what is so heartbreaking about this, it is all so unnecessary.

He’s planning ahead. As I said it looks less strategic when you start before you need it. Maybe family photos have alerted him as to what he’s in for. Mitch would have been well served had he gotten an early start.

Be as it may, but I tell you one thing, he has about three years to get over whatever ails him and shave that garbage off or Pinto O’Shaughnessy will be back and beat his butt in four years.

• Stuart, my Rep sent me a picture of Timothy Hill with a beard. Do you want it so you can be consistent for once in your condemnations?

I don’t believe it! It must have been photoshopped just to irritate me.

Eddie White says:

Fortunately my man in 2024 won’t need a beard, Mike Pence. Pence has been an excellent vice-President and will continue the conservative policies of President Trump. He will probably be welcome relief after 4 years of Biden.

Eddie White says:

Wow, I see where Biden says Trump is the first ever elected racist president. Now there is something that the left-wingers and pretend right wingers can sink their teeth into.

Funny you should write that Eddie because I was just speaking to a friend of mine in D. C. and we were chatting about the presidential prospects of Cruz vs. Hawley when I commented that it was really a moot point because Pence will be hard to beat. He is an almost perfect combination of “nice nonthreatening guy” so appealing to suburban Republican ladies in the suburbs, he is a seriously religious guy for the evangelicals, and he has an impressive conservative record for the right-wing extremists like myself.

Pence is too ostentatiously nice to get my support right off the bat in 2024. That type are always up to no good somewhere, but he will certainly get my enthusiastic support when he receives the nomination. Good choice Eddie.

You know they call Pence the Marilyn Munster (llok it up) of the Trump White House and not for his looks but his overall persona.

I did look it up and once again MARLE you are spot on! A good smile to begin the day.

LeeAnn C. says:

Cruz should be devoting every moment to keeping Texas RED! Democrats have their sights set on flipping TX through the urban areas. He should be at work at HOME instead of tinkering in very RED state Tennessee! I don’t know what’s wrong with him!

Greta says:

Were any of you guys this bent out of shape over AlGore growing a bbesrd of putting on 100 pounds after his presidential run? Facial hair isn’t as important as what’s inside the head and heart. Jesus Christ Himself had facial hair.

Lance Persson says:

With Rand Paul and Ted Cruz both endorsing MANNY SETHI, it is clear that Haggerty is lying in his ads when he accuses his opponent of not being a conservative. We do not need another Progressive in the senate that will purposely lie in order to win an election. Hope out state conservatives get out and vote for a true conservative, Manny Sethi.

Or another more realistic explanation is that Hagerty most definitely is not a conservative so, not knowing that Chairman Manny received the title “Chairman” by being an Establishment Republican hanger-on at the highest level but otherwise having no record of doing anything for the conservative movement or being all that interested in politics at all, they are going with The Chairman. If they only knew what all knowledgeable Tennessee conservatives should know they would no doubt conclude that conservatives voting for Chairman Manny for his campaign of talking-the-talk after his lifetime failure to walk-the-walk will be harmful to the Tennessee conservative movement long-term and they should therefore vote Hagerty.

• Tell us about your Bill Lee remorse. Pro refugee/anti gun, etc. terrible excuse for a Republican. If you (Lance) insist on continuing to access the Internet with your thoughts-at least make them accurate

Donna Locke says:

If the Dems talk Chaz Molder into running against Lee, I will vote for Chaz. As a plus, Chaz will have antibodies to COVID, which he has right now. He’s in his thirties, so he will probably survive it.

LeeAnn C. says:

This is NOTHING to do with ‘conservative’. There’s a power struggle going on in the Senate and apparently Paul and Cruz haven’t recovered entirely from Trump kicking their tail in the 2016 nomination process. I hope the very smart Tennessee voters recognize an unknown that hasn’t demonstrated one iota of conservatism in Dr M. We don’t need another major disappointment like Lee. The never Trumper team was outlined in a very detailed Breitbart article yesterday. Includes mention of the mysterious Louisiana pollsters that have portrayed the current Senate race as close when I personally do not believe that it is. Hagerty will win and all you Dr M fans will be eating your words!

Susan E Gingrich Patriots Reborn says:

Endorsements of any kind don’t influence my decision, based on my own research and critical thinking. Another GOP TN senator won’t make a difference if we lose the US Senate!

Donna Locke says:

If my absentee ballot ever arrives, I guess I’ll vote for George Flinn. If we were able to enter our second choices, I’d go with Sethi, maybe.

Indeed, I will early vote next week late in the day so I can have a few adult berverages to enable me to press the screen for Hagerty. I’m afraid he is not an easy vote for a right-winger like myself to cast. I am just relying on the screaming inappropriateness of Chairman Manny becoming a U. S. Senator with conservative votes to enable me to go over the top when the whistle blows.

Eddie White says:

George Flynn is running an ad that he will stand up against Trump. Not sure what he is standing against, but I guess he and Mitt Romney can join forces.

Donna Locke says:

Flinn is saying if Trump is wrong about something, Flinn won’t go along with it. Good to know because Trump has no actual convictions on immigration, and we’ve elected Ivanka and Jared along with him.

When Trump fired Jeff Sessions, I gave up on Trump at that point. Everything about that firing was wrong. To me, Trump is just a placeholder now. Sessions was very reliable on immigration-control issues.

As for Biden, I’ve seen enough video on him to know he is a pedophile in addition to his creepy assaults on women every time he gets near one.

We certainly have a lot of reptilian men in office.

What was even more outrageous was Trump’s support of that empty suit Tuberville against Sessions. From what I hear Tuberville is a real Chamber of Commerce kind of Republican on everything including immigration. Of course, he hid in the tall grass and refused to debate Sessions so it’s hard to know how he stands on anything but one thing for certain he will fit in just fine with McConnell and his tall grass hiding crew in the Senate. Sessions is another Republican who has learned too late. you shoulda supported Cruz in 2016.

Eddie White says:

Convictions? What are Cruz’s convictions? What are Session’s convictions? You can only gauge convictions by policy. Trump’s policies on immigration have driven the left crazy. The Trump whining will continue, but he has done exactly what he campaigned on. That is why he has a 90 percent approval rating with Republican voters. That is also why he is hated by the Democrats and pretend conservatives.

Jimmy Wilson says:

Talk about not voting for someone because they lie so much…I told you all that you just need to stay away from ALL those lying and cheating Republicans. You can’t trust a one of them!

Just to be clear, if we follow the council of Jimmy Wilson we should “stay away” from Republicans because they “lie” and then do what? Stay home and let the leftist totalitarians in the Democratic Party simply take over the government and all the institutions in this country because the Democrats don’t lie, they really want to destroy the country? Thanks for the advice Jimmy, I’ll think about it.

MARSHA BLACKBURN ENDORSES HAGERTY!!! YES!!!!!

Deep State One Worlder 26Trillion $$ Debt endorser Spying on citizens illegally endorser, war monger, Big One World Trade group over All countries, even USA, Marsha Blackburn wants Hagerty, that shows you Hagerty is going to be horrible just like she.

Hi-ho, the derry-o the lap dog takes a mate.

Eddie White says:

I think both of these candidates will support the President. But Hagerty’s past relationship with Romney makes you a little more nervous.

Donna Locke says:

It’s more his support of Jeb Bush, for me.

LeeAnn C. says:

Much more worried about the lack of any record whatsoever for Dr M. He’s changed his positions and support between 2009 and now, and not with any significant contributions considering his personal wealth. I looked up his Healthy Tennessee nonprofit and found many more sessions of ‘Rounds with Dr Manny’ than actual health fairs. Notice that he never mentions how many health fairs his organization conducted? I think he’s been testing the waters to see how he could win a popularity contest without any substance to demonstrate what he truly believes. I fell for that kind of line with Bill Lee. It won’t happen again!

• Pingback: Thursday, July 23