Crowe to attend session despite attending conference with coronavirus patient

Sen. Rusty Crowe (R-Johnson City), seated at right, confers with colleagues as they await Gov. Bill Lee arrival for his second State of the State address in Nashville on Feb. 3, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

State Sen. Rusty Crowe (R-Johnson City) has received clearance to come to this week’s meetings of the Tennessee General Assembly despite recently spending time at a conservative conference outside Washington that was attended by a confirmed coronavirus patient.

The Nashville Post’s Stephen Elliott reports that while U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is staying home this week in self-imposed quarantine because he interacted with the patient at the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, Crowe is not being urged to stay home.

Here’s a statement from Senate Speaker Randy McNally’s spokesman Adam Kleinheider:

While Senator Crowe did attend the most recent CPAC conference to accept an award on behalf of the Senate, he does not believe he came into direct contact with any infected individual and has shown no symptoms to date. When Senator Crowe became aware of news reports of possible coronavirus exposure at CPAC, he contacted Health Commissioner Lisa Piercy. Commissioner Piercy advised him that because he has been entirely symptom-free for ten days no testing or quarantine would be necessary. Speaker McNally believes no additional precautions are required past those measures everyone is advised to take which include frequent and thorough handwashing and maintaining significant social distance whenever possible.

American Conservative Union Chairman Matt Schlapp interacted with the coronavirus patient at the event, but said he hasn’t shown any symptoms. Schlapp also interacted with Crowe at the event, according to the senator’s comments to colleagues last week (though it’s unclear whether that was before or after Schlapp met with the patient). Here’s what Crowe told Republican colleagues on Thursday:

I went up to DC when I was invited to CPAC. I was standing in line with the other senators from the other states. And Matt Schlapp comes up and pulls me out of line, and I was like ‘What the hell is going on?’ So he pulls me up front and makes it very known that they were so proud to designate Tennessee as the most conservative state in the nation. So you can be very proud of that. And it meant a lot to him and the ACU.

37 Responses to Crowe to attend session despite attending conference with coronavirus patient

• Can’t he just have someone use their voting stick to register his vote?

John says:

Good God, he is fat. This fatty hasn’t seen his voting stick in years. Maybe Daddy Casada has been sharing his.

Beatrice Shaw says:

it is here……

Norma Shirk says:

We have one of the top research hospitals in the country in Nashville with medical professionals who are working on the covid-19 epidemic. Why not ask the epidemiology doctors at Vanderbilt about whether its safe for Crowe to attend?

Safe meaning what? Is it safe to attend ANY meeting after you’ve been exposed to the annual flu? You know 61 THOUSAND Americans died in 2018 from the annual flu. Did we worry about exposing each other to the annual flu which killed 61 THOUSAND of our fellow Americans.

Stop already with the hysteria.

JUDY R says:

I think its more important that Sen Crowe takes extra safe precautions and quarantine himself from legislative meetings than for him to be attend.

Phil Lassiter says:

The public will also be more safe if he isn’t voting and trying to introduce legislation. Double win

Donna Locke says:

The incubation period for the new virus could be up to two weeks or longer, according to various health officials. It may be no more threatening than regular flu viruses, but I think the concern is that the new virus may mutate into something worse, as viruses mutate quickly and often — it is what viruses do.

Since the new virus has killed healthy young people, it is something to be avoided even if most of the infected have only mild cases. Since I have asthma and am allergic/too sensitive to most drugs, I try to avoid everything that attacks the respiratory system. Tennessee has a high rate of asthma, a lot of people.

Donna, name a virus that has mutated into “something worse”. Coronoviruses in recent decades are SARS, Mers, Swine, Bird, Ebola. What virus are you referring to b/c none of these has mutated “into something worse”.

Donna Locke says:

I’m just repeating what I read from quotes from health officials. There is interest in mutation, because viruses mutate into different strains, and a worse possibility is just that — a possibility. No one can predict. Sometimes the mutation is less harmful than the original, but mutation is why flu vaccines are sometimes ineffective.

Donna Locke says:

Don’t attack the messenger. I am certainly not one to panic over illness, even stage 3 cancer. I avoid doctors as much as possible.

A corona virus doesn’t mutate to something horrible. I heard talking heads on talk radio (conservative) bringing up HIV or Polio as if the coronaviruses we have been dealing with for decades (the common cold is a corona virus) could EVER turn into something like that.

Mutation is problem only in that it Confounds vaccines and makes infection more possible but it does not ever “turn into something worse” in terms of the symptoms themselves.

Donna Locke says:

Some flu strains are worse than others, more deadly, and the difference, however you may dismiss it for yourself, can be the difference between life and death for quite a number of others.

I think this is the basis of concern — if a strain may develop or has developed from the original(s) that proves deadlier to more people. The reaction to it all has been a bit surprising, but perhaps there is good reason to pay attention.

Donna, since the annual flu here killed 70 Thousand in 2018 and over 30 Thousand in 2019 isn’t that enough carnage to be hand wringing, cocooning, sheltering, social distancing…..were you doing any of that day in and day out through the entire peak 6-months of each of those years?

If not then why the concern that leads to all of the above measures (along with hoarding water, toilet paper, refusing to fly, cancelling meetings and events) NOW?

Donna Locke says:

Yes, Marle, because I have asthma, I watch where I go during flu season. I once totally lost my voice for 2 months during flu season. Couldn’t even whisper. I went through a drive-through and then remembered I couldn’t talk. If you were paying attention, you would notice I haven’t posted much at all about the new virus. You have posted a lot. Most of the infected will have mild cases. Biology is destiny. Some will die. I post what I think might be helpful, such as my expereience with scientifically tested Sambucol black elderberry extract syrup.

If what I write bothers you, skip over my name and don’t read it.

For the last 11 years I have not gotten the flu. I have never gotten a flu shot. I am 71 yrs old. I go to a large gym 5 days per week and have been doing that for 2 years now. In the last 4 years I have not gotten a cold.

I take mega dose of Vit c daily and I NEVER touch my face or touch food before Washing My Hands. NEVER. It’s actually a very cheap regimen. Kroger sells vit c @ very reasonable prices.

Donna Locke says:

Marle, all of that attempted prevention is good. Sometimes it is not enough. I am not far from 70. I have always been very health-oriented — vegetarian all my adult life, daily vitamins and minerals, 3-mile daily walks, longtime yoga practitioner and teacher, a lot of exercise, natural foods mostly, no drugs or smoking or alcohol. I’ve had only one flu shot in my life, decades ago, bad reaction. I look and move as I did decades ago. Young men still turn and look, which is kind of embarrassing now. But . . .

Despite my efforts, I have never had a great immune system, I catch everything that comes along and usually have a worst case of it, I have genetic endocrine imbalances, and I developed advanced cancer. Each body is unique. I did not do what the oncologists recommended — chemo and other stuff — I followed my own intuition and have survived cancer for a number of years now. We can’t predict outcomes. But I have learned from others in ways that have helped.

Whew! I mentioned the gym to reflect the fact that I am exposed to a lot of strangers and touching a lot of germ laden surfaces.

Not sure what having young men look at you has to do with a back and forth about the coronavirus and the annual flu but you got it out there.

Donna Locke says:

My point is, being in good shape and doing the “right things” can help, but in the end, it boils down to the immune system. We know now that the many good bacteria all over and through our bodies are essential allies and compose most of our immune systems, so it’s a good idea to give attention to that, not through probiotic pills, which have some drawbacks, but through the natural foods that have a variety of good bacteria. This will help. One needs the variety. Avoid things that kill them off. And keep the Sambucol on hand.

My daughter told me she told her small children to keep their hands in their pockets in the grocery and everywhere else they had to go to. She’s in Atlanta and expecting their school to close.

Being in good HEALTH is the key; it is not being in good shape (your comment about men looking at you suggests you think “good shape” means head-turning). Again I don’t see the relevance of that to a discussion of viruses. My gym comment was about exposure 5 days a week and increased risk. Your head turning comment ~ well I think it speaks for itself.

Donna Locke says:

Marle, pretty much all you do here is have meltdowns and snipe at and insult other commenters. None of us here has any control over the stock market or your financial downturns. Direct your wrath and pettiness elsewhere, or better, nowhere.

Yes, it is pretty good, real good, to have survived advanced cancer and still be here and “young” enough that my grandchildren will remember me that way. The head-turning is funny and embarrassing to me but says how far I have come from where I was a few years ago, from a 6 hemoglobin and what I looked like in the hospital when no one, including oncologists, thought I would make it. Too bad that bothers you. It says a lot about you. I am grateful every day and will take the lift.

I have ZERO wrath over the market turn down for me personally. And since you mistakenly think my opinions about the virus overreaction is due to some personal financial hardship unique to me……The best market for me personally is one that’s going down 30%. We’re not there yet but it gets better every day. I’ve been commenting on the virus, the overreaction and the consequences.

Paul says:

I’m not normally one to tell conservatives about “messaging” and such as it relates to propping up the Trump propaganda machine here, but I’m feeling a bit chipper today, so let me have a go.

When folks are watching their savings disappear a good strategy is NOT “who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes”. Lots of fun and games to blame something like immigration, the Mueller report, or what have you on Hillary or Obama or whatever, but money seems real to folks, unlike, say, a report or a budget. I can see what the value of my 401K — if it’s a “lot less” then I feel more poor. The human nature thing in other words. Certainly investing is a long term thing, but lots of folks like the up and not the (big) down in the process.

Tweeting about anything never really solves a problem. Playing golf doesn’t really solve problems either. Calling someone a name doesn’t solve problems. Denying reality (see 401K as the example above) doesn’t solve problems. Yelling on TV doesn’t solve problems. It’s a long list, I’ll stop there.

Using something as an example that boils down to “only tens-of-thousands of people died this year and that wasn’t so bad was it, so just calm down” as your strategy/analogy for something is not really going to inspire a lot of confidence. Especially when the new thing being compared to the old/routine thing like the flu is, well, new. It’s kind of hard to paint the new thing as the non-scary thing because no one really knows what it is. Humans don’t like new scary stuff. Especially when it’s linked to their 401K deflating. Of course, if you or your loved ones come down with the scary thing and the worst happens, this strategy seems particularly bad.

Just sayin’. Maybe you guys should rethink the model. Friendly free advice here. Seriously, the approach of “whatever we do, Trump has to look good and he doesn’t like bad news that contradicts a virus” is not serving you well.

I’m sure this will land like the Hindenburg in some folks minds and they will no doubt perpetuate the current (and opposite) approach to “messaging” and it’s a free country in that regard. Carry on then.

Sorry?!?! So your message is you don’t like what Trump is doing and you don’t like the current coronavirus, and you don’t like your 401(k) decreasing in value and you are generally unhappy and somehow Trump should do something about it, but you’re not clear exactly what, implying if only Sanders can get his nose out of Das Capital and Biden can remember where he is and who his closest relatives are they would do much better.

Thanks.

Donna Locke says:

I have no idea what Paul is saying there. If he is referring to me, my only interest in Trump is as a placeholder until we can get someone better in there, though this is unlikely now. I oppose a good bit of what Trump has said and done. Because he abandoned any talk of mandatory E-Verify and is keen on importing more foreign labor, he is almost worthless on immigration control.

Paul says:

Donna Locke, I’m not referring to you. Just opining about conservative flailing.

Stuart, oh ye so called libertarian who just spouts off Republican talking points so readily. Seriously. If you can show me anywhere I said Biden, Sanders or anyone else could do better, you can have $5 to rebuild your portfolio. Likewise who says I’m unhappy? The folks who are unhappy are those who have to spin this Trump pablum. Did I say I was unhappy? Not me my friend. I have no faith in this administration so I’m neither unhappy nor disappointed.

As noted, a rush to the barricades to defend this Republican nonsense. Nothing to see here, invent a straw man, misdirect, and move along folks.

You guys carry on. Good luck.

Eddie White says:

Ah yes, the virus and the resulting downturn belongs to Trump. You can see that coming. I am sure Biden would have handled this situation much differently, if he was awake.

The person who lit the match always gets and DESERVES the blame, Eddie. So, yeah, Trump should be blamed for actions even loyalist, Kelly Ann Conway called “unprecedented”. It sent a message of panic and that has been Further fueled by politics. But HE lit the match.

Eddie White says:

I agree with you that we are in a state of overreaction. It’s not coming from Trump, it’s coming from a 24/7 news cycle that is desperate to hype the latest drama. Currently it is the C virus and the result is going to hurt the economy. Joe Biden has won the nomination and has a good chance to be the next president. Maybe next year you can start blaming everything on Biden, or maybe it will always be Trump’s fault.

Of course it’s coming from Trump. It is his administration who met people already quarantined on a cruise ship for 14 days and escorted them to Military Bases for another 14 day quarantine period.

His administration advised a 6 ft “danger zone” between people making all large events impossible. That directive set a benchmark for Prudent Behavior any deviation from which means Lawsuits. When the government tells you to keep a distance do you think any MBA owner is going to set himself up for class action suits for having people sit shoulder to shoulder?

Of course not! The whole country is closed for business b/c of the Trump ordained reaction.

Phil Lassiter says:

I saw where Nancy Pelosi has the Carona Beer virus and was escorted from Capitol Hill

LeeAnn C. says:

Good for Senator Crowe! Thousands of people attended CPAC. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for every single one of them to quarantine themselves with no other common denominator than attending the conference. Glad he’s back at work in the session. They’ve got a lot to do!

Bob Fischer says:

You could just test him for the disease and act accordingly upon seeing the results.

Fix the roads !