COVID diagnosis in Senate raises concerns (UPDATED)

The Senate meets in Nashville on June 1, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

A state senator has tested positive for COVID-19 since the start of the special session and other lawmakers and staffers may have been exposed, The Tennessee Journal has learned.

UPDATE: Sen. Ed Jackson (R-Jackson) has confirmed he has tested positive:

“I was informed yesterday afternoon that I have tested positive for COVID-19.  I am quarantining at home with mild symptoms,” Jackson said in a statement. “I have received excellent care and am thankful for all of our health professionals who are on the front lines in fighting this virus.”

One further senator is believed to be in quarantine, while another is remaining on duty because he already had COVID-19. The office of legislative adminstration declined to confirm or deny any infections due to privacy concerns.

The incident comes despite enhanced measures the Senate has taken to try to fight the spread of COVID-19. The upper chamber has required social distancing between members in committees and on the floor while banning the public from its meetings. But nothing prevents lawmakers from congregating in their offices, elevators, or hallways of the Capitol complex.

At least nine House members have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

42 Responses to COVID diagnosis in Senate raises concerns (UPDATED)

Elmer Gantry says:

More people are getting COVID-19 twice, suggesting immunity wanes quickly in some

Jonathan Swift says:

Yet these Republican morons will continue to eschew wearing masks as some sort of political self-affirmation.

Similar to the political affirmation Jim Acosta of CNN felt yesterday outdoors giving his news report mumbling through a mask. Entirely too much political theatre in this country for its own good I fear.

Jonathan Swift says:

Stuart, why in the world are you watching CNN? Do you do it just to yell at the TV? Secondly, wearing a mask is not political affirmation or theatre. It is a pandemic mitigation practice overwhelmingly recommended by medicial professionals and government officials.

Beatrice Shaw says:

Incredible ignorance. Fatal ignorance

Molly Mann says:

Which Senator is Covid Positive?

89% of the deaths and high-cost hospitalization is coming from the age group 65+. TN ranks #4 in covid Deaths. The cost is not coming from 20 year olds working at Kroger or 30 year old Amazon drivers. It is NOT even coming from medical professionals in hospitals.

But we still are limiting vaccines to those over 75 when every neighboring state has reduced it to 70. And many, like West VA, Florida, NY, NJ and a whole host of others have the age at 65.

What on earth is going on????

Cannoneer2 says:

Relax, Bill has it all under control.

Jonathan Swift says:

North Carolina is providing vaccines to people 65 and older. I have family there that told me this.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Every single group you mention has indeed had new cases and symptoms and deaths, just in various amounts. Masks work, that we know. Republicans just don’t want to do their part.

Extremely Varying amounts and that’s the point. Death and Cost. If the death rate dropped by 3/4 which is what will happen when over 65+ get immunity THEN you will see this economy open back up for schools, mom and pop, tourism and everything else.

It is that important for health and the economy.

Keith Richardson says:

What is going on is total incompetence from the start. The Republican party has cynically approached this pandemic as a political problem to be “managed” rather than a public health threat to be faced head on. Own it now because it will become your legacy whether you want it or not.

Keith, don’t be so modest, the Democratic Party has managed this pandemic brilliantly insofar as in that entire rogues gallery of Presidential candidates vying for the Democratic nomination during primary season they had only one that could even hope to garner a winning combination of votes in the general election and he was a partially demented old political hack who couldn’t hope to sustain the rigors of a campaign. Along comes the Chinese Flu and the Big Guy has a rationale for not doing the normal campaigning he couldn’t hope to do anyway and PRESTO you’ve have yourself a President. Political management at its finest Keith.

What were the TOP TWO predictions Trump said over and over and over????

1) If the Dems win in Nov that is the LAST you will ever hear about covid. (We are now hearing daily I suspect from Dr Fauci the idiot Trump elevated to super-star status.)

2) If Dems win the Stock Market will crash so fast the likes of which you’ve never seen. (nearly 60 straight record setting gains)

Phillip Lassiter says:

Trump caused the gains. I’d like to know how you feel about gas prices in about a month.

No….the FED having near Zero interest rates giving investors No Where else but the market has jacked up the market. Trump’s call for ZERO interest rates was intentional; he knew HE couldn’t get a robust market without it. Clinton did; W did; but Trump never had a market competing with 5% CD rates.

Jonathan Swift says:

Stuart, why do you continue to ride that tired old “Chinese Flu” horse? While COVID-19 may have originated in China, it is absolutely NOT influenza. If you are being intentionally inaccurate, why not call it Chinese Pox, or Chinese Bad Cold?

The only way that COVID-19 helped get Biden elected is that it was denied, diminished, and practically ignored by most Republicans.

Cannoneer2 says:

They should keep meeting. Maskless. We’ll see what happens…

Cannoneer2 says:

Bill Lee seems to have been appointed to co-chair a covid response group for the NGA. That’s genius in action!
    /S

Phillip Lassiter says:

With the election of Biden the virus will disappear soon. Not to worry. Having it continue will interfere with being hypocritical on a broader scale

Trump predicted that a Dem win in Nov meant as he said ” on Nov 4 you won’t hear another thing about covid It will magically disappear”. Clever by half as usual. We have been bombarded with the data about covid each day ever since.

Donna Locke says:

My husband and I may have had this thing recently, I don’t know. We didn’t get tested. I wear a mask everywhere. If we had it, my husband probably brought it home from a doctor’s or dentist’s office.

On the same day a few days ago, both of us developed muscle aches in our knees and lower legs. It spread to my back a little. I already had the worst sinus infection I’ve ever had. My husband felt tired, but I really didn’t, just wiped out from the sinus infection. No fever. We started the regimen I’ve recommended and got better right away. I still had a little aching in my knees. Something told me to go to sleep, so I did and slept 14 hours. I got up for 3 hours, ate, and went back to sleep for almost 6 more hours. After that, I felt fine. Sleeping this long was difficult because I take care of my elderly mother who has dementia, but my husband helped.

I worried my mother might get it, and a couple of days ago, she said her knees were hurting, but her knees hurt a lot anyway. So, watching that.

My husband is older than I am and got the vaccine this week. I am not going to get it because of previous sensitivities to vaccines and drugs.

We could have had some other virus. It’s winter, after all. I’ve always eaten a lot of probiotics in the way of yogurt, buttermilk, kefir, and sauerkraut, and they say now this makes a big difference in severity of the illness. The gut bacteria.

Cannoneer2 says:

Due to the introduction of HB7021 and its companion Senate bill that force schools to meet in person, I hope they don’t think they can wimp out and postpone legislative sessions or meet remotely! Meet in person for full sessions or no pay.

I’m not a physician but I think the susceptibility to the Chinese Flu of a group of legislators whose average age is about 55 is a tad greater than the susceptibility of students whose average age is about 11. As for the teachers I believe it has been shown that children don’t spread the flu very easily to adults and besides, since teachers can retire on generous state pensions when they are barely out of middle age I doubt there are many teachers above the age of 60 anyway. Certainly not enough to justify closing the schools in the face of the harm that is doing to the children’s education and the havoc school closings are having on two income families.

Parochial and private schools in most states have remained open. If there were a significant or even marginal health issue for teachers we’d all have heard about b/c the public school union would have done a big “see, I told you so”.

School closures are a muscle flexing exercise to keep fit for the really important annual fights over salary.

Cannoneer2 says:

If we beat the bushes to find ways to lower R (the rate of infection) to as low as possible, we will get back to normal faster. It is possible that kids have a lower rate of transmission, but they are still vectors for the virus. If the General Assembly is so gung ho for school to be in session, it might be better to use the carrot rather than the stick. Provide an incentive rather than punishment.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Stuart, teachers don’t get to “retire on generous state pensions when they are barely out of middle age.” You say you might not be a physician but it is also obvious that you are Not a financial planner either as you don’t know much about teachers pay or retirement ages. It is hardly a living wage, much less a cushy retirement.

Each state determines retirement benefits for Teachers. NY teachers, for instance, get pensions at 79% of final salary. Pretty sweet considering that the average 30 yr teacher with a masters+30 is making 90K. That pension travels with them when they move to a lower cost of living state as many do.

Why don’t you tell us how TN compensates a 30 yr retiree with a masters+30

If you Vaccinate those who will DIE or spend 100’s of Millions in the ICU then the level of Kid transmission is a virtual non-starter.

The point here is to get the Deaths and Costs down. Once that is achieved then herd immunity through vaccination is the next immediate goal. The longer this virus spreads the greater the chance of mutation

• Pingback: Friday, January 22

Phillip Lassiter says:

Record day Covid deaths and gas up six cents a gallon overnight. Thanks, Biden. Pelosi and Schumer threw our soldiers under the bus as soon as they didn’t need them in DC. Men coming in my daughter’s bathroom now too. Can’t wait for the third day.

It is not necessary for this argument. Now that Biden is in office the rates of COVID are going down (just like 45 said it would.

No 45 said ‘you won’t hear another word about covid starting on Nov 4 if Dems win”. We have heard nothing but covid for the last 60+ days and we are going to hear about it constantly thanks to the TRUMP appointed “brilliant’ Dr Fauci giving press updates all the time

Cannoneer2 says:

Rates are going down because we are just beyond the 14 day infection window from New Years.

Cannoneer2 says:

It should be pointed out here that legislators in this state can “retire” from their part time job as a legislator after only one term and get a PENSION from the state. When will that atrocity go away?

Taxpayer #314 says:

Now, THERE is your cushy job in the state, not being a teacher. Judges and politicians have it made.