Tom Cotton endorses Hagerty in U.S. Senate race

U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas is endorsing Republican Bill Hagerty in the Tennessee Senate race.

Cotton, like Hagerty, was a proponent of calling in active-duty military troops to put down rioting during national protests over police brutality. Manny Sethi, one of Hagerty’s main rivals for the GOP nomination, said the National Guard was better equipped for the task.

The publication of a Cotton op-ed in the New York Times titled “Send in the Troops” led the to resignation of the paper’s editorial page editor.

“Senator Cotton is a true conservative leader, and there are a lot of issues we see eye-to-eye on: namely, China,” Hagerty said ina release. “Senator Cotton has been leading the way on calling out the Communist Chinese Party for what it is – an authoritarian regime that has lied repeatedly to the world about the Wuhan virus. I’m honored and humbled to have Senator Cotton’s support, and I look forward to working with him to protect our conservative values in the Senate.”

18 Responses to Tom Cotton endorses Hagerty in U.S. Senate race

Cotton (Heritage-83%) is a good man. If Hagerty replicates Cotton’s record we will be fortunate indeed.

Mark Rogers says:

Stuart,

And when the next Democratic President uses the military against a conservative protest movement, he or she will be able to cite so-called constitutionaliats like you and Cotton for justification. Thanks for betraying our freedom to achieve your wacko grudge against Dr. Sethi.

Have you ever read or seen ‘A Man For All Seasons?’ You really need to pay close attention to the scene where More warns about cutting down the laws because people like you and Hagerty and Cotton are taking a chain saw to our most basic law for political ends.

“. . .wacko grudge against Dr. Sethi”? Come on Mark, I endorsed The Chairman for House District 65 pending his acquiring some vestige of a conservative record which I even suggested he can easily begin to acquire by sending a contribution to Timothy Hill’s campaign (Hill For Congress, P.O. Box 3071, Blountville, Tenn. 37617). I hardly think that bespeaks a “wacko grudge.”

As an ardent conservative, especially after electing No Record Candidate Bill Lee, I simply don’t think we should acquire the habit of electing plutocrats to our highest offices who simply stroll onto the scene with little or no political record, especially when they run as a conservative zealot. VOTE HAGERTY.

“your wacko grudge against Dr. Sethi.” nailed it !

Mark, also, “he or she will be able to cite so-called constitutionaliats like you” … surely you do not mean Stuart I. Anderson. IF you notice he has not mentioned His Favorite Anti-constitutionalists Hill, in quite a few posts. Hill wants an Article V Constitutional Convention and guess who will b there? Antifa.
        Now does it sound like S.I.A. is ‘constitutioinalist’? No he is a closet Deep State Republican.

• Sethi finished

LeeAnn C. says:

Just in case some don’t know anything about Senator Cotton and want more than Heritage scores, here’s his bio from his Senate page:

“Tom grew up on his family’s cattle farm in Yell County. He graduated from Dardanelle High School, Harvard, and Harvard Law School. After a clerkship with the U.S. Court of Appeals and private law practice, Tom left the law because of the September 11th attacks. Tom served nearly five years on active duty in the United States Army as an Infantry Officer.

“Tom served in Iraq with the 101st Airborne and in Afghanistan with a Provincial Reconstruction Team. Between his two combat tours, Tom served with The Old Guard at Arlington National Cemetery. Tom’s military decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, and Ranger Tab.

“Between the Army and the Senate, Tom worked for McKinsey & Co. and served one term in the House of Representatives.”

A good man endorsing another good man!

Mark Rogers says:

A good man who sent several thousand dollars to the campaign of the Republican appointed Senator (and Mitch McConnell puppet) Kelly Loeffler, one of the junior Gordon Gekkos who further endager our Semate majority with insider trading. Good example there LeeAnn.

I’m afraid you are on to something there Mark. I agree with you that supporting Loeffler because she is a wealthy woman who supposed to get the suburban woman vote was most regrettable. Loeffler is another No Record, No Ideology, No Personality Candidate and you know how I feel about that.

On a happier note the last poll I saw has Doug Collins (Hertitage-80%) ahead of her by 20%+ but we are talking about a jungle election in November followed by a runoff if needed a few weeks later. Collins is not exactly a conservative dream boat either but he is articulate. . .we’ll see.

LeeAnn C. says:

Which are you talking about? Tom Cotton or Hagerty? I’m not a fan of Loeffler AND the contributions will not change my support for either, but I’m not finding contributions by either to Loeffler’s campaign. What’s your source?

David Collins says:

I just crack up every time a Trumper like Stuart Anderson, calls himself a conservative. A real conservative does not believe in deficits. Trump, spending money like a drunken sailor and cutting tax rates for his rich friends (and himself) has driven the deficit up higher than it has ever been. A real conservative also opposes big government. The federal government has grown dramatically since Trump took office. So please, if you are going to continue to support that lying buffoon who presently occupies the White House, please stop calling yourself a conservative because a real conservative would NEVER support someone like Donald Trump.

David, this is America, you can make a fool out of yourself without any consequences, but why would you want to? I don’t know you and you don’t know me, yet you call me a “Trumper” and insofar you feel like I am a “Trumper” you then go off on that basis. Do you do that sort of thing all the time? If so, are your loved ones troubled?

On the other hand there is the possibility that you are an ordinary everyday leftist so on ideological grounds you don’t like me because I am a conservative and, of course, you don’t like Trump. So why not tie me with Trump and then go off one the two of us. The reason you come off a fool is because anyone who regularly reads these responses is fully aware that (1) I was an alternate Cruz delegate to the 2016 Republican Convention, (2) I often refer to Trump as “President Blowhard” because so often he is big talk/no walk when it comes to policies he supports but does as little as possible about (e.g. restricting all immigration), and (3) I often bemoan Trump’s serial appointments of tepid conservatives and even liberals and neocons, to say nothing of that obnoxious duo, Ivanka and Jared who oppose his stated policies but apparently are his cherished advisors who carry some weight.

David if you feel foolish that’s a good first sign, much like an alcoholic admitting “I’m a drunk” and now you know it’s best not to simply attach a label on someone because as the great Ben Shapiro observed “The facts don’t care about your feelings.” On the other hand, maybe you’re just a troll who wants to get a rise out of people by saying incendiary things. If so, what a sad waste of time.

David Collins says:

BUT. you are going to vote for him again in November, right?

Ah, yes I am but does that make me a “Trumper”? In your eyes does everyone who votes for Trump a Trumper? For your information, given the leftward lurch of the Democratic Party I know of any number of centrist/tepid conservative “Never Trumpers” in 2016 who admit that they dare not vote for anyone but Trump this time? Given the Democrats are now dominated by their far left wing what choice do conservatives like myself have in this Presidential election other than voting for Trump (baring a personal antipathy of the type that prevented me from voting for John McCain)? Do you think everyone who votes for Trump wears a MAGA shirt and/or hat and are dying to get into his rallies and do you call those who would never dream of doing those things yet fully intend to vote for him “Trumpers.”? If so, what do you call the MAGA hat and shirt wearers?

Perhaps your definitions need recalibration. I am sure that there are one or two fundraisers for the Cruz campaign locally who are aware of the money that I contributed to the campaign and the PACS devoted to electing Cruz rather than Trump who may read this exchange and are amused at my being called a “Trumper” after spending all that money with nothing to show for it at all. David, I warn you, politics is a tough unforgiving game.

You, Stuart, are a Trumper-once-removed. When all of the TN politicians you actively support are 100% on board with the policies and alliances you mentioned above…….then you ARE a Trumper.

Cannoneer2 says:

Mind Arkansas’ business, Tom. This is Tennessee.