Byrd accuser Rice fails to qualify for ballot

Rep. David Byrd (R-Waynesboro) attends a House committee meeting on March 28, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

State Rep. David Byrd won’t have to face his accuser after all.

Chrsti Rice had filed to run against Byrd (R-Waynesboro) this fall. But she failed to turn in copies of her Democratic petition in each of the four counties included in House District 71. So while Byrd has two opponents in the GOP primary, there won’t be a Democrat to take on the winner in November.

Byrd earlier this month reversed course on previous pledges to retire from his seat and filed to run for re-election.

Byrd has been accused of sexual misconduct with high school basketball players when he was their coach in the 1980s. Rice is one of those former student athletes. She recorded a phone conversation in 2018 in which Byrd apologized and told her how “hard it has been for me” to live with his actions with the woman, who was a 15 years old  at the time.

9 Responses to Byrd accuser Rice fails to qualify for ballot

Phil Lassiter says:

Never did think she was serious

Just as well. Byrd (ACU-84%) is fine, but if the voters of District 71 decide to get rid of him at least they won’t take their dissatisfaction out on the rest of us by choosing a Democrat.

Jason Wallflower says:

It is absolutely shameful that the caucus hasn’t moved to remove Byrd from their ranks. We need to make sure that Byrd does not fly under the GOP banner. He is a massive stain on the state legislature.

Nonsense!!! Let the voters of District 71 decide the fate of David Byrd. The Republican Party should have no truck with decades old charges of misconduct of any kind. If there’s an allegation of misconduct, let the accuser(s) speak up in a timely manner so the accused has a reasonable opportunity to defend himself against the charges. If the accuser decides to just “move on” then I say to the accuser “do so permanently” rather than come back years later when there is no way for the accused to answer the charges.

Jason Wallflower says:

Stuart, he has been credibly accused of abusing CHILDREN! KIDS! Have you listened to the entire pone conversation? He clearly did SOMETHING and even acknowledged doing so!

Stuart, please. Stop sticking up for the absolute worst elements of political society. Casada is a problem. Byrd is a problem. DesJarlais is a problem.

Abusing children is wrong. Byrd has no place in our party.

I’m sorry Jason, as a conservative I have an ultimate “problem” with the fact that there are leftists in our society who will not rest until they have fundamentally transformed this country into someplace in which I simply don’t want to live. These leftists, while only a small minority of the population, have adherents that dominate the major christian churches, the media, educational institutions, newsrooms, . . .you get the idea.

When we have officeholders who will oppose the leftist agenda like Byrd, but especially like Glen Casada and Scott DesJarlais, so long as they haven’t been convicted of some felony they will receive my wholehearted support. I don’t have the time, patience or interest to listen to a few women who I believe were high school jockettes ( not the most shy, easily victimized specimen of teeny bopper femininity as I recall) who came up with some story about being abused in silence a decade or two ago. Nor do I have the time, patience or interest to listen to decades old tales of some misbehavior by Scott DesJarlais or private conversations/trivial misconduct by Glen Casada all magnified many times by the liberal press for the enjoyment of their liberal consumers and to scandalize the easily scandalized.

You’ll have to forgive me Jason, I can’t help but notice that all of these breathless exposes happen to concern CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN officeholders. Jason, whatever happened to the allegation of sexual assault against Joe Biden by a lady on his staff? Funny, we don’t hear too much about that. Indeed, historically we heard nothing about unconscionable carousing of various Kennedy officeholders and Bill Clinton. Apparently the unquestionable acceptance and publicizing of unsubstantiated charges by lady accusers only is in effect when the accused happens to be a conservative officeholder. Pleeeeeeeeease, give me a break!

Cannoneer2 says:

Just let the Legislature’s Ethics Schmethics office handle it…. nothing to see here folks, move along!

And when the Ethics Schmethics office agrees that there is “nothing to see here folks, move along!” DAMMIT Cannoneer, please tell your liberal friends/squeaky clean gov’t types to MOVE ALONG and stop banging on about their little pet peeves.

Cannoneer2 says:

Sorry. Not backing off one inch from the idea that if we populate our government with good, ethical people, things will run better. Byrd needs to be replaced.