Bradshaw calls for U.S. Senate debate with Hagerty

Democrat Marquita Bradshaw is calling for debate with Republican U.S. Senate rival Bill Hagerty.

“I believe that voters across our state deserve to hear more about my policy platform and how it contrasts with the views of my opponent,” Bradshaw said in a release. “We have been a grassroots campaign from the beginning, but we did what many thought was impossible and won the Democratic nomination with a groundswell of energy from volunteers across the state. I invite my opponent to join me in giving Tennesseans what they deserve: an open and honest debate over the issues they care about most.”

The Hagerty camp has been in discussions about a debate with Bradshaw, but has argued against including various independent candidates.

The Memphis Flyer’s Jackson Backer recently reported that an effort by the Nextstar Media Group to put on a U.S. Senate debate had fallen apart. The invitation for the debate, which would have taken place Oct. 14 at WKRN-TV studios in Nashville, included a requirement to have raised $50,000, with at least half coming from in-state donors. That would have been an easy hurdle for Hagerty to clear, although Bradshaw won despite raising just $22,321 through her most recent report. While donations have spiked since she became Tennessee’s first black woman to win a statewide nomination, the next filings aren’t due until Oct. 15.

Nextstar’s other Tennessee stations are in Memphis, Knoxville, Johnson City, and Jackson.

The Flyer reports that candidate Aaron James, one of nine independents appearing on the ballot, cited Federal Election Commission equal time provisions in seeking to be included in the debate.

The AP’s Kimberlee Kruesi reports Bradshaw’s position appears to be a bit of a reversal:

“Do you hope to debate him at some point?” WJHL-TV anchor Josh Smith asked Bradshaw on Sept. 2.

“No,” Bradshaw answered.

Before that, in an Aug. 22 WKRN-TV interview, Bradshaw told the news station she was also not interested in debating Hagerty because “he used hatred to drive a message of division.”

Campaign spokesperson Abigail Sigler said Hagerty had no debate “to commit to” because of Bradshaw’s comments saying she wouldn’t participate in a debate and no other Senate candidate was qualified for the Oct. 14 debate.

45 Responses to Bradshaw calls for U.S. Senate debate with Hagerty

karen bracken says:

Ms. Bradshaw has been endorsed by the far left progressive group “Indivisible.” That is all you need to know about her. In my opinion she is not good for Tennessee.

McSwanson McSweeney says:

Well, there you are. If remaining uninformed is good enough for you, then it’s good enough for Tennessee. Sigh.

“Members were involved with Bernie Sanders campaign and are continuing their activism in Our Revolution, Swing Left, Indivisible, Working Families Party, statewide groups like the New Virginia Majority and local Democratic Party groups and 2018 electoral campaigns. ”
        straight from the Communist Party USA web site.

karen bracken says:

McSwanso McSweeney….No researching the candidates instead of listening to their stump speeches filled with lies is what we all should do. I have researched both candidates and have found in my opinion that no matter what Ms. Bradshaw SAYS the facts indicate she is NOT good for Tennessee.

• Pingback: Tuesday, October 6

Phil Lassiter says:

If she had more money she could qualify for a debate. The election is about purchasing it. Hagerty has the deep pockets so he gets the seat. Once again-painful truth but truth

David Collins says:

Tsk, Tsk. Bill Hagerty appears to be afraid to debate his female challenger. One would think if Ms. Bradshaw had all these “left wing” ties and beliefs that he would relish the opportunity to debate her. Nope, that doesn’t make sense to pass on an opportunity like that. He’s just a coward, pure and simple as that.

No David, Hagerty’s campaign is managed by the highly competent Ward Baker and it doesn’t take a Ward Baker to know that you don’t consent to debate a woefully underfinanced candidate like Bradshaw and give her free publicity which she desperately needs and obviously wants. Hagerty will be our next U. S. Senator and this election is a mere formality.

What will be interesting to note is Hagerty’s voting record once he gets to Washington. Will we be so fortunate as to have another Marsha Blackburn with her 85% Heritage score which will allow him to be a U.S. Senator for as long as he wants to or will he be another uninteresting Republican Senator like his buddy Mitt Romney (Heritage-69%) and face another bruising primary in six years. Funny, he didn’t look like he was enjoying himself contesting the last Republican primary.

LeeAnn C. says:

I contend that Ms. Bradshaw is asking to debate ONLY because she knows that Ambassador Hagerty won’t waste his time to do so. I watched her interview on Inside Tennessee. She’s poorly equipped to discuss any issues in depth and certainly ever more poorly equipped to represent the state of Tennessee as U.S. Senator. I’m looking forward to Senator Hagerty’s representation.

James Wilson says:

Those republicans love to buy their way into any position they can. I guess nowadays anyone that is not a far right (R) candidate with a high (84+) Honorable-Nutjob score is considered communist, or just far left wing. Life is pretty simple for those republicans, just hate all those that don’t agree with you.

Not as open minded and loving I guess as your leftist friends who love to cause people to lose their jobs or deplatform people who don’t speak like a leftist or don’t sign on to leftist superstitions.

Perry Aubric says:

Paranoid, much, Stuart. That is simply hyperbolic nonsense.

Donna Locke says:

I wish I had saved some screenshots, but I have a good memory. Since Trump was elected, and before, we’ve seen lefties, some claiming to be journalists, wish death on every Trump voter, hope every Republican voter gets cancer, hope Trump dies, and on and on. People need a rabies shot to be around anyone on the left in this country.

That’s why when these leftist rabid partisans accuse others of being “haters” it’s so hard to take. Sorta like the liberal media banging on about “White Supremists” and right-wing fanatics of which there are perhaps a few groups of five meeting in one of their mama’s basement while leftist hordes burn and pillage dozens of American cities. They are delusional and unless things turn around we may be in for two years of these loons running the government.

I have a great memory and I remember the things written in media about Obama. Wanting him to die was one of the mildest and meekest things said. There were so many vile and vulgar things said about him and his wife and the comments lasted from the first campaign until the end of his term.

There is no excuse on either side to deal with anything other than issues, policies and promises made/kept and the honesty with which the public has been kept informed.

ABSOLUTELY. That’s why I’m so impatient with the forensic examination of Glen Casada’s private life and private conversations on this forum. What you said parallels my cry that when an incumbent legislator is running for reelection let’s just analyze the “Yays” and “Nays” and leave the personal foibles alone.

Donna Locke says:

No, I disagree that death wishes were coming from the so-called mainstream right and from people with jobs in news media when Obama was president, as they have been coming against Trump and Trump voters from the so-called mainstream left, including major names in the Democratic Party and in Tennessee.

Obama was treated with far, far more respect than Trump has been, though Obama did so much damage to this country that we will never recover from it in our lifetimes.

I have listened to CNN, to FOX, (never to MSNBC) CNBC, Fox Business, Bloomberg, CBS, NBC and CBS…..never heard any mainstream Journalist wish Trump would die.

Now the situation these days is that 210 Thousand Americans Have died, many as a result of not getting the kind of care that allowed Trump to make a rapid recovery. His message of not letting Covid dominate your life MAY very well have pushed those, whose loved ones were not so fortunate, over the edge. And for that there is not Excuse just an explanation.

Obama’s death threats and ill wishers were constant. And I don’t remember any of the widely regarded media types like Limbaugh, Hannity, Breitbart calling any of these out. Silence is complicity.

Donna Locke says:

I totally disagree with you, Marle. I’ve kept up with this sort of thing for many years now. The vitriol since Trump was elected is unmatched.

As for COVID, it hit my family and may again, but we absolutely did not and do not allow it to dominate our thinking. I understand what is meant when people say that. I believe if cancer dominated my thinking every day, I would not have survived Stage 3 as long as I have. Most of the time I forget I ever had it.

I know people who wore cloth masks everywhere and still got the virus. I am not going to tell anyone what to do about masks.

I do think almost everyone will get this virus eventually. Be realistic and prepare. Do what you can and don’t obsess. Over anything.

Trump’s comment when delivered in the context of the staging of an Evita balcony scene, done in orange face (neck back still white), triumphant over Covid is what turned a sensible comment into an “I defeated the demon in a matter of days and you can too …..just not you 210 Thousand dead……but, hey, it is what it is.

And these drugs he’s bragging about Him developing Remdesivir has been around since 2014 in the Ebola days. Dexamethasone since 1961. The Regeneron “cocktail” used in 2014 in Africa for Ebola with safety and success.

The only thing to be said is that it took 6 months for the first 2 of these to get approval for USE against covid. The “cocktail” is still available for only a handful of non-trial American citizens. Literally a handful.

And I know that Covid patients are unable to have loved ones visit in the hospital to the point that many spend weeks alone or exit this world saying “goodbye” by face time.

The President must have access to those who help Run this government.

But who in the world was allowed near him to cake all that make up on him? Or does Walter Reed have spray tan facilities?

Donna Locke says:

A good bit of what Trump is doing now is for show of strength for national security and election purposes. He also has a leader/fighter personality and does not want to appear weak. And he isn’t weak. Just setting aside his flaws for a moment, that is my take. He is used to pushing through on things and believes he can do that with illness and that others can, too. Pep talks are better than doom-and-gloom, but we have to be realistic, also. Being in crowds of people is taking a big chance, for example.

Reagan gave us a blueprint for how someone (even a former TV and Movie star) can handle a health emergency with non-egotistical, look-at-me, strength and grace. Reagan was shot and he also had colon cancer. After surgery to remove the bullet he waved reassuringly from a hospital window dressed as a patient would be~ in a robe, not a coat, tie and cufflinks.

During cancer his doctors shared details in sometimes excruciating (and sometimes embarrassingly) detailed and forthcoming fashion in order to help others understand his symptoms, treatment course, and to provide hope for others.

I felt Reagan was plenty strong. A good leader. Theater is not necessary to project strength. No need for a staged photo op in orange-face on a balcony saluting a departing helicopter. Reagan knew that.

Donna Locke says:

I didn’t vote for the Reagans and still would not. Trump is probably the last Republican president in my lifetime.

Beatrice Shaw says:

I believe a debate should be LAW f there are two candidates. Weaseling around to fake your way to office is how you get surprised with a not so terrific voting record. We need Senators that will take mask wearing and Covid-19 seriously. I only see that from the Democrats. This fact alone makes them the go to party. Only 4 weeks left thankfully and we can get back to a peaceful and prosperous America.

Of course you do Beatrice, you are a leftist control freak so you believe there should be even more laws in this already over-regulated country about everything. Study a candidates background if the office is high enough and that will tell you all you need to know. If the office is high enough and the political background is actually or virtually nonexistent vote for someone else.

There should not be forced debates; but you should draw conclusions from whichever candidate refuses. A debate is about an exploration of ideas (unless it is that train wreck Trump “won” 2 weeks ago). Why is that a problem?

In the general election you should draw conclusions simply from who is running as a Democrat and who is running as a Republican and where you as a voter are located on the political spectrum. If you are a leftist vote Democrat, if you are on the right vote Republican. Refusal to debate is usually a strategic decision by the candidate whose election is a foregone conclusion in which case there is no sense in overthinking the thing because it really doesn’t matter.

Well, Stuart, I drew a conclusion from Candidate Trump who, as a Republican, said he wanted to close loopholes. I was wrong

I also drew the conclusion that as A Republican he wanted to run a balanced budget (with all houses in Rep hands). I was wrong

I drew the conclusion that as all other Rep before him he did not want Fed Rates at ZERO (well before Covid, I might add). I was wrong.

These are but a few.

With SOME republicans you can’t tell beans (there’s a better word) about their policies based on party.

Not important. The Democratic Party has turned itself forthrightly into a European social democratic party with left-wing zealots on its leftward flank. We have to fight like hell for the most conservative candidates in the Republican Primaries but unless we are faced with a Lamar Alexander (Heritage-51%) centrist there is no question that we have to vote Republican in the general election. I’m sorry its come to this but the Democrats are a threat to everything that make America a uniquely wonderful country so conservatives have to do everything they can to prevent them from succeeding.

If Dems reverse Trump’s CONSERVATVE policies there will hardly a noticeable difference. There have been very few.

And don’t believe the Trumpers who keep saying Biden is going to win. They are only trying to psych themselves and you out. IF they seriously entertained such a possibility, it would keep them from getting up in the morning let alone come here to share the unthinkable with you. Perhaps they’re trying to steel themselves against the remote and unimaginable, but they don’t believe it for an instant.

If it wasn’t important why did you bring it up and making one of your comments? Every sentence in your comment said to look at PARTY.

I was drawing a sharp distinction between the approach that a conservative voter has to take in the Republican Primary vs. the general election. In the Republican Primary each candidate’s political background has to be scrupulously examined to make sure we are supporting the most consistently reliable conservative for office. In the general election, on the other hand, given the dominance of left-wing zealots in the Democratic Primaries as witnessed by the nomination of Marquita Bradshaw after spending only $22,000+ conservative voters must assume any Democratic nominee is absolutely unacceptable and must be defeated by their voting Republican almost regardless of the Republican nominee’s shortcomings.

Eddie White says:

Beatrice, I would not oppose a debate. You could have multiple debates between Bradshaw and Hagerty, it will not change the outcome. Tennessee is a right of center state and will elect Hagerty based on his policy positions. Trump will win Tennessee as well based on his conservative policies. The good news for you and your fellow Democrats is that Biden is on his way to a comfortable win. Trump’s policies on illegal immigration, travel bans on a number of Arab countries, and the building of the wall has alienated enough Americans to elect Biden. Add that to his refusal to mandate masks and the ability of the Democrats to label him a racist. The only remaining question is whether the Democrats will also control the Senate. If so, the Democrats will be able to reverse most of Trump’s conservative policies.

Donna Locke says:

I question the samplings in the publicized polls, but if Trump loses this election, this would just push us more quickly to the inevitable outcomes at this point. The inevitable that didn’t have to be inevitable. We are living in post-America.

It doesn’t take a weatherman.

Eddie White says:

Good observation Donna. Trump has been one of the most conservative presidents that has served in the White House. But the country is taking a sharp turn left. The Biden/Harris ticket will govern from the far left. Their is still hope the Republicans will keep the Senate, but it is going to be close.

No Eddie, “. . .the country hasn’t taken a sharp turn to the left,” rather the Republican Party, most especially the Republican Caucus in the Senate, have failed to launch a full throated campaign wedding the Democratic Party to the destruction and mayhem taking place in U. S. cities. Even Trump during the critical days when the violence was at its height was strangely silent. Is there a Republican Party in Oregon, Washington, New York, or Wisconsin etc.? There must be, I see at least one Republican Congressman from each of those states. I have never seen any representative from those Parties on TV commenting on the destruction of their state. The Republican Party presently constituted is nothing more than a shill for the Chamber of Commerce, Business Round Table, etc. It is an uninspiring Party and it can’t expect to attract the legions of low information voters who are simply looking for inspirational leadership that offers a sharp contrast to what the Democrats.

Stuart, the Republican party has veered to the left.
            We still have abortion, we still have 26Trillion debt, we still have no win / no end wars, we still have the FED we still have membership in the UN, we still have the countless ABC Federal departments regulating as if they were law.
            Keep voting for Republicans and Nothing will change.

Donna Locke says:

My comment here disappeared.

Congratulations. I never flunked Erik’s rather forgiving acceptability test thus far so whatever you wrote must have been a real wopper. If we ever meet be sure to tell me what it was. I LOVE right-wing woppers,

Donna Locke says:

It appeared. The one at 5:16 p.m. today.

Then I guess I have to take my “congratulations” back. I was so looking forward to you telling me just what you said to have it deleted. Oh well, perhaps another time.

Donna Locke says:

The news is hard on my son today. Van Halen. I can see the posters in his old bedroom.

• Pingback: Wednesday, October 7