Blackburn to speak at Republican presidential convention

U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn is speaking at the Republican presidential convention this week. She is scheduled to appear on Wednesday, the penultimate day of the event to nominate President Donald Trump to a second term.

U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Brentwood) speaks at a Tennessee Titans event in Nashville on Dec. 13, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Blackburn also spoke at the 2016 presidential convention when Trump was first nominated. Here’s an excerpt of her comments that year:

Some of our greatest leaders have been people who have worked in the real world…. Leadership is not about lines on a resume. Gender, race, zip code, pedigree, lineage, hurt feelings are not qualifiers for leadership.

Blackburn isn’t the only Tennessee politician making a repeat appearance at a presidential convention this year. State Sen. Raumesh Akbari of Memphis spoke at the Democratic nomination festivities last week after doing the same in 2016.

22 Responses to Blackburn to speak at Republican presidential convention

Taxpayer #314 says:

Senator Blackburn is little more than one of Trump’s puppets singing his praise for the last several years. Blackburn has done even less for the State of Tennessee than Trump has done for our country. They are indeed quite a pair. Two failures as politicians that have no plan on how to move forward.

Perry Aubric says:

She is such an embarrassment to this state.

Marsha (Heritage-85%) has always been showcased by the Republican Party ever since she was first elected to the House in 2002 because she is such a fine representative of what a Republican member of Congress aught to be. I am proud to have sent Marsha significant campaign contributions every time she has found herself with a serious opponent whether in the Republican Primary or in the General Election since she first ran for Congress in 1992. We can only hope that Bill Hagerty’s Heritage score will equal or exceed Marsha’s when he takes his seat in the U.S. Senate this January.

• Pingback: Monday, August 24

Beatrice Shaw says:

She appears to pander and be quite manic

Benton Temple says:

It will be interesting to see what change Marsha makes after Trump loses.

Let me get this straight Benton, Marsha is a U. S. Senator For Life because she is a staunch conservative representing a staunchly conservative state and she has led the Tennessee Republican Party’s rightward march for years and you expect her to change based on a single presidential election? Please don’t go making big bets on Marsha changing Benton, IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN.

Marsha campaigned on allowing all Illegals Immigrants to remain in the country forever. She championed a Tax bill that eliminated Not one egregious tax loopholes for the uber rich (in contrast to Candidate Trump’s promise to do so) and benefitted the rich disproportionately (in contrast to President Trump who said it would benefit “people like me, not one penny) AND which added yet another TRILLION to the bloated debt and deficit. She has supported trade policies that have the Government deciding who can side-step trade restrictions while others must abide by them.

So……promoting illegal immigration, supporting budget-busting/debt-rising tax dodges for the super rich (while lying about it), and endorsing trade deals that allow the Government to pick winners and losers by whim of the President~ this makes her a conservative?

Taxpayer #314 says:

“Senator for Life” sounds pretty close to Trumps’ recent claim that he might be around as president for a 12 year term. Sounds about right for those that claim to be on the side of “Law and Order!” Knowing that Marsha WILL NOT change is all the more reason to vote her out.

Riiiiiight. My saying that the voters will elect Marsha “Senator For Life” which is legal and probable “. . .sounds pretty close to. . .” Trump allegedly saying “. . .he might be around as president for a 12 year term” which is unconstitutional. Taxpayer, why don’t you calmly read the stuff you write before you hit “Post Comment” so hopefully you won’t embarrass yourself by making nonsensical statements like that?

Taxpayer #314 says:

Riiiiiiiight, a 12 year term is unconstitutional, Stuart. And that is exactly what Trump stated he would like to do in one of his many tirades yesterday. That was also the point of the Law and Order comment. The “nonsense” was from his quote!

Trump says nonsensical things all of the time. I don’t. The odds favor Marsha being a U. S. Senator from Tennessee for as long as she wants the job which I glibly said “For Life” since I don’t feel she wants to go back selling books door to door or doing retail marketing. My only point is that my making that relatively safe prediction is not only not “pretty close to,” but is in fact nothing at all like Trump saying that he will be President for 12 years which he simply cannot do.

Eddie White says:

Relax, develop a sense of humor….Trump says the 12-year thing in jest. However, I could think of lot worse things than 12 years of Trump. PS…for those who continuously post complaining the Trump tax cut was only for the rich, thank you for putting me in the “rich” category! I have never been considered “rich” before! As a very middle class person, the increase I got each month from the tax cut was more than the monthly pay increase I got from my employer. Thank you Mr President for helping us rich folks.

No one said, Eddie, that it was ONLY for the rich. But Trump said it was not For the rich at all, not one penny for people like him. A LIE. And I will post this, as you can post comments that do NOT reflect what I said. You need to be able to Read, Eddie.

Eddie White says:

Relax Marle, I was reading long before you moved into our state. For all the liberal Democrats and pretend conservatives that post on this site and are upset about Trump’s tax cuts, you have a friend who thinks just like you. Joe Biden, who leads in all the polls and is the hands down favorite to be the next president has promised to Repeal Trump’s tax cuts.

Pretend ….again you really have either No ability to read or remember. I have voted for the last 50 years for Republicans at the Federal level. And you keep ascribing to me things I never said but only that you misinterpreted b/c you apparently can’t read with comprehension. Taxpayers who spent money to fund your education really should demand a refund.

Eddie White says:

Reading comprehension only applies to rational thinking and the ability to clearly communicate one’s thoughts.

Gail McPeak says:

And the “selling books door to door or doing retail marketing” makes her qualified for the job as the “Senator from TN” how . . … Oh yeah Trump, God and Guns. Makes all Tennesseans proud to see another Chrino ( Christian in name only ).

I’m sorry Gail, I assumed readers were familiar with Marsha’s background but apparently you are new to politics so I will be happy to fill you in. While owning her marketing firm Marsha spent a number of years as an active member of the Williamson County Republican Party including a term as chairman where she established a record as a staunch conservative. That office made Marsha very popular among Williamson County Republicans so she was elected to the State Senate for two terms where she led the successful fight against the state income tax. The popularity she gained from that struggle allowed her to win the Seventh District Congressional seat when Ed Bryant retired and Williamson County moved into that district. After eight terms in the House, Marsha then ran for the Senate. THAT QUALIFIES HER TO BE “SENATOR FROM TN.”

Gail , you can also see lots of her Unconstitutional votes here:

Eddie White says:

Tennessee conservatives are happy with Marsha Blackburn. She has been a consistent conservative and supporter of the President. That is what Republicans in Tennessee expect from her.