Big outside money flows into Senate, 1st District races

While Bill Hagerty’s and Manny Sethi’s campaigns slog it out against each other, a series of outside committees are also spending heavily in hopes of influencing the outcome of the Republican U.S. Senate primary.

The biggest player among them has been the Protect Freedom PAC, a group linked to U.S. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who has endorsed Sethi. The PAC has spent $1.47 million on ads backing the Sethi. Another group called Conservative Outsiders’ PAC has spent $1 million attacking Hagerty.

Meanwhile, a super PAC called Standing with Conservatives has poured $1.3 million into the race, nearly all of it to oppose Sethi. U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton’s America One PAC has spent another $375,000 to oppose Sethi. The Arkansas Republican is backing Hagerty.

The primary to decide the Republican nomination to succeed retiring U.S. Rep. Phil Roe (R-Johnson City) is also experiencing heavy independent expenditures. The Club for Growth, which has endorsed state Rep. Timothy Hill (R-Blountville), has spent $945,000 so far. About $425,000 has gone toward ads supporting Hill, while the rest has gone toward attacking GOP rivals Diana Harshbarger ($366,000), Rusty Crowe ($132,000), and Josh Gapp ($22,164).

The House Freedom Fund has kicked in $16,000 to support Hill and the delightfully named Bless Your Heart Coalition has spent $15,000 to oppose Harshbarger.

9 Responses to Big outside money flows into Senate, 1st District races

The Club For Growth is the best PAC for conservative’s money. They have an overhead of less than 10% the last time I looked when most PAC’s have an overhead of over 20%. It’s expenditure for Timothy Hill is quite impressive and will be responsible for Timothy’s victory if he can pull it off.
    __________________

Heads up conservatives! Today is the Kansas U. S. Senate primary. Kris Kobach is our guy running against Roger Marshall (Heritage-76%) who is supported by the entire Republican Establishment and retiring undistinguished Senator Pat Roberts (Heritage-67%). From Roberts to Kobach I say good for 15% – 20% on the Heritage scoreboard.

Perry Aubric says:

Kobach lost. Good news for decency.

I had no idea Perry that you were such an admirer of the Republican Establishment though I can understand that as a liberal you like your Republican Party as tame and compliant as possible. To that end in this election Roger Marshall was definitely you guy.

Actually, now that I think about it, you might feel that it was “Good news for decency” but as a matter of fact the Democrats were spending a significant amount of money running ads through a number of PACs against Marshall in an attempt to get Kobach nominated by the Republicans under the reasonable belief that he would be easier for the Democratic nominee to beat. As it turned out, with Marshall’s victory the seat will almost certainly remain Republican and it’s a reasonable expectation that Marshall will be a bit more conservative than Roberts.

Beatrice Shaw says:

OUTSIDE money does not care about us.

Outside money isn’t meant to care about citizens of a particular state. But since every Congressman and Senator’s Votes do affect the lives, in particular our pocketbooks, then they are stakeholders no matter the state where a candidate is from.

• Timothy Hill is going to have a very hard time winning. It is sad he did not attempt to retain his seat in Tennessee as a State Rep. Stuart, I wish you would have helped other worthy republicans elevate in the past-not just Timothy. Takes a lot of money. Club for Growth missed this one big time

Phil as so often happens I’m not quite sure what you mean but I am happy to assure you I did not put all my eggs in Timothy Hill’s basket. For this primary I sent substantial contributions to Gina Oster over in the 18th District in her race against Never Trumper/Centrist Eddie Mannis and outspoken conservative Rusty Grills over in Distict 77 whose opponent has since dropped out so Rusty will get another term. Lesser amount went to John McMahan over in District 76 who my sources tell me is a reasonable facsimile of the retiring Andy Holt (ACU-88%). Whether I’m investing in the stock market or in solid conservative candidates, “diversification” is always a strategy on which I rely.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Millions of dollars from outside Repugs that could have been better spent in our suffering communities. When will they learn? Vote them all out, they don’t care at all about the people of Tennessee. Way too much money in politics today.