Alexander: ‘Very good chance’ Biden will be president

U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) attends an event at the state Capitol in Nashville on Dec. 17, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) says the Trump administration should unlock transition resources for Democrat Joe Biden.

“If there is any chance whatsoever that Joe Biden will be the next president, and it looks like he has a very good chance, the Trump Administration should provide the Biden team with all transition materials, resources, and meetings necessary to ensure a smooth transition so that both sides are ready on day one,” Alexander said in a statement. “That especially should be true, for example, on vaccine distribution.”

Alexander’s former Senate colleague, Bob Corker (R-Chattanooga), also weighed in on Friday, saying Republicans have an obligation to “challenge demagoguery and patently false statements” in Trump’s election challenge:

Here’s the rest of Alexander’s statement:

Recounting votes and resolving disputes after a close election is not unprecedented and should reassure Americans that election results are valid.

Al Gore finally conceded 37 days after the 2000 election, and then made the best speech of his life accepting the result.

My hope is that the loser of this presidential election will follow Al Gore’s example, put the country first, congratulate the winner and help him to a good beginning of the new term.

The prompt and orderly transfer or reaffirmation of immense power after a presidential election is the most enduring symbol of our democracy.

37 Responses to Alexander: ‘Very good chance’ Biden will be president

karen bracken says:

I will be glad when this insult to Tennessee government, this scourge is out of office. Does he even have a clue or is he dirty like his Democrat comrades. I could never understand how the voters kept voting him into or office or perhaps they didn’t??

Eddie White says:

Karen, having met and talked with Lamar as governor, UT President, and senator, there are a lot of things I personally like about the Maryville native. However, I am quite certain that Alexander is quite comfortable with the idea of his old senate buddy in the White House.

Indeed, the Trump team should pursue all legal challenges and remedies available. A close scrutiny of our all too porous elections is overdue and has no downsides. The clock is ticking, however, and eventually it will time for the states to certify the results and the process for the new administration to take its place to begin. If Trump makes a flaming fool out of himself on his way out the door thus teaches those who voted for him in the 2016 Republican Primary not to repeat that mistake again should he run in 2024, that won’t be bad either.

Judging from the Cruz we have seen over the last 3 years I’d bet Ted will vote for Trump in 2024. Ditto that for Rubio, Graham and everyone else who will not DARE challenge him. If he wants it, it will be his.

You have a most interesting blind spot as to what any member of any team has to do in order to be a member in good standing of the team in the interest of team cohesion. Graham (Heritage-56%) is unacceptable to conservatives in the party. Unfortunately, Cruz (Heritage-91%) and Josh Hawley (Heritage-92%) are up for reelection to the Senate in 2024 so they will have a hard decision to make as to whether to run for reelection or President. On the other hand, I will be shocked, assuming he is reelected in 2022 to the Senate, if Rubio doesn’t run for President in 2024. In any case, Trump will not get a free ride in 2024 if he runs I don’t believe.

In any case, Trump certainly will be challenged from the left by a centrist/tepid conservative like Graham in which case I will have to vote for Trump again if there is no conservative alternative. Trump over a centrist/tepid conservative Republican every time.

What are you talking about? Trump has no conviction on anything. He is neither Rep left, right, or center. He fills the void created by our national loss of what Orwell called “objective truth”. He is a populist wherever that wind blows him.

1964: It was just after the presidential election of democratic president Lyndon Johnson., He had run against senator Barry Goldwater, who was a favorite among constitutional conservatives. The summer of 1964 saw many race riots and looting in large cities. A smear campaign was run to torpedo senator Goldwater. The republican party back in 1964 wanted nothing to do with senator Goldwater. He was too conservative for their tastes. They wanted their left-wing republican candidate to win the nomination and the election. But when Goldwater won the nomination, Robert Welch wrote in august of 1964, the sulking attitudes of men like Nelson Rockefeller and Henry Cabot Lodge not only reveal that to both men their left-wing sympathies and designs were actually far more important than the republican party which they have simply been using to promote international socialism.
    Sporadic outbursts of vigilance for a few months every four years will not suffice. Doesn’t that sound a lot like our current political season? Political parties cannot maintain that vigilance for a number of reasons the most important reason right now is that they fall to pieces after each election. Now today this is more true of the republican party and organization has never been its strength. The liberals have found the means to divide, confuse and stultify purely political action by American conservatives ever since 1932. The lack of continuity in either organization or sense of direction has kept the republican party from being able to put on any effective breaks on our national movement to the left. Now clearly this has been the case all the way prior to Trump as globalism continued to be led by many in the republican party especially the neoconservatives. This will almost surely be the case after Trump as well.

So you think Trump lost because he was Too conservative? The white, college educated men who Voted for Trump in 2016 but Did NOT vote for him are neither confused, stultified or anything else. They are rational businessmen for the most part who cannot take the whimsical, erratic, lack of clear policy objectives along with the absurd lack of professionalism in hiring and firing (something Trump said his business experience was going to ensure would not Need to happen).

Yes, I do believe that Trump was more conservative than any president in my life time, and that includes Reagan. One think I like, is he is trying to get us out of the No Win Wars, and the military industrial complex (deep state to the max) do not like that.

White, college-educated men voted for Trump at +14 the first time he ran. White suburban women voted for Hillary at +7.

In 2020 Those same men went for Trump +1. He lost massive votes with this group who voted for him knowing he was a egotist, crude, crass and a bully. That didn’t stop them from voting fo him in 2016 but after watching his POLICIES and Practices they bailed on him in 2020.

White suburban women, by contrast, only voted +9 for Biden meaning that they did not move against Trump NEARLY to the degree that White, college-educated (who voted for Trump in 2016) did.

Had Trump simply kept this group, who expected coherent, consistent, and well applied strategies (as they are expected to do in their own professional life) he would have Won. Think about that.

well if he would have kept group X he would have won. So What? The education system is corrupt. I am not surprised. The solution is to educate the people on the constitution.

They voted for him in 2016 but the loss of their votes meant defeat in 2020. Maybe you don’t care whose votes cost him the election but I bet he cares. This was a group he should have easily held onto and therefore held onto the White House. HE defeated himself by losing a group who voted Republican down-ballot but who bailed On Him.

And let’s not forget how totally impossible it should have been for him to lose to Joe Biden for pete’s sake. Joe Biden!

You have to be a serious loser to lose to Joe Biden by having Republican White college-educated men Who Voted for You in ’16 be fed up enough to for Biden…. for pete’s sake!!!!!!

Beatrice Shaw says:

Yay!! Fly’n with Biden

David Collins says:

Lamar just needs to shut up,pack up, and come home. His attempt to sound like a statesman is laughable. He calls this a “close election?”. Really, Biden bested the fool on the hill by about 6 million votes and Lamar thinks that is a close election? Too bad he doesn’t have the guts that his former colleague Bob Corker has to call it like it is. Trump is like a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum because someone took his favorite toy away from him. Perhaps if his father (who, from all I have read, was also a jerk) had warmed up his rear end (like my father did me and I’m sure there are others out there who experienced the same discipline) when he had a tantrum as a child, we could have had a real mature man in the White House instead of this spoiled brat.

Considering the Democrats never accepted Trump’s candidacy in 2016 but immediately established an “insurance policy” consisting of spying on the Trump campaign and planned entrapment of Trump advisors and cabinet officers to say nothing of four years of post election RUSSIAN spy fantasies that cost us $tens of millions why the hurry to have Trump concede. I understand the nervousness among Democrats about any close look at how elections are conducted in our big cities but why not sit back and let the legal processes play out. I believe Al Gore’s challenges lasted for over 35 days. This is not to foreclose Trump acting like a jerk once all of his challenges fail in a court of law but why not wait until then to observe the obvious, i.e. that Trump is acting like a jerk.

We had a chance to put a microscope on “how elections are conducted in our big cities” in 2016 but it was of no interest since Trump won. And we had another chance in 2018 but Rep held the Senate where bills come do die AND Trump personally wasn’t on the ballot so again no interest to examine
        “how elections are conducted in our big cities”. If examination was a curiosity, there was plenty of time to explore. No….only when Trump loses is it of interest.

MARLE, this is politics, not psephology or law enforcement. What you have pointed out is the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” principle of human behavior. In politics so long as you win “. . .it ain’t broke. . . .”

This is especially true in the case of the average Republican who by and large ain’t in office to make any big dramatic change or bestir themselves to make any big dramatic investigations by nature unless conservatives shame them in it. Rather they’re in office to block loony policies suggested by the liberals and do the Chamber’s bidding and once they do those things it’s “Supper is waitin’ and I gotta get to it.”

That is perhaps your most pathetic excuse in the whole litany of excuses you’ve offered. And I don’t say that lightly.

Jonathan Swiftt says:

Stuart-

You are flailing almost as badly as the Trump campaign in trying to weasel word a loss into a win. Your tepid support of Trump is ironic.

I give MARLE my explanation of why neither Trump nor Republicans made much of an effort to investigate how elections are conducted in big cities. I then launch into a familiar theme about the ineptitude of the average Republican officeholder. Your takeaway from all of this is that I am “. . .trying to weasel word a loss into a win” when in fact I said nothing about winning or losing.

I am a small government, free market conservative. Donald Trump is a narcissist with certain populist/conservative instincts. He therefore warrants my “tepid support.” Pretty straightforward stuff Jonathan. How you find irony in any of this is mystifying.

• You are mistaken Stuart. I distinctly remember Trump speaking (I think it was at his inauguration) and extending a heartfelt thanks to President Obama and his wife on how gracious and helpful they had both been and how smooth they had made his transition into office. So cut the crap on Democrats not accepting his election in 2016 when the top Democrat received a big public “thank you” for doing just that. As for the money “wasted” on what you consider Russian Spy fantasies, care to compare the amount the Republicans in the House spent on the Benghazi hearings over a four year period? I didn’t think so.

If Trump simply packs up and politely leaves the scene in good form after exhausting his legal remedies Biden will say nice things about Trump. It’s simply a matter of form and political protocol. You shouldn’t take things like that too seriously David. Besides, at the time Trump had no idea of the web of sabotage Obama and liberals in the FBI and the national security apparatus had cooked up and were putting in place while he was speaking.

Benghazi cost the lives of four Americans including the U. S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens. It was a monumental failure of U. S. intelligence and foreign policy led by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and National Security Advisor Susan Rice. Prior to another run for the Presidency Hillary and Susan Rice concocted a story abut the cause of the debacle then the charade and subsequent investigations went on from there. By contrast, the Russian hoax was based on NOTHING AT ALL other than a bogus document paid for, I believe, by the Hillary campaign. Indeed, in terms of gravitas, let’s compare congressional attempts to get to the bottom of the Benghazi debacle with attempts to connect Trump to Putin as some sort of Russian operative. That’s a comparison that I would think you would be wise not to suggest we make.

Jonathan Swiftt says:

Trump’s pandemic response has cost the lives of hundreds of thousands, while you try to make a big deal about Benghazi. And you say Trump’s obvious fealty to Russia is nothing. Maybe you should wise up on the comparisons, Stuart.

Daniel R Gilley says:

Sen. Alexander and I do not agree on everything, but in this case we do agree. I am a lifelong Republican who held a local county elected office in Tennessee for 20 years. My supporters built our local party into one of the most “Republican” counties in the state. I lost my last election as Mr. Trump has lost his, and the thought of defeat can be painful. But an office holder at any level will not be remembered so much by the day-to-day conduct of the office, but more so by the manner in which he or she gives up the office. Our very Democracy is founded on peaceful transitions of power. Mr. Trump has no right to flaunt this responsibility and risk undermining our freedom and well-being. The media says Republicans are deafly silent on the topic of Trump conceding the election and leaving office as he should. Well, here is one Republican who is not silent, and who has had more than enough of Donald Trump.

You and I can afford not to be silent Daniel, we don’t hold government or party office. The election was held and now Trump has complaints which are to be adjudicated in the courts based on facts that the parties to the lawsuits present. There is nothing much to say until the process is exhausted.

What in the world has Trump done to make you think that there won’t be a “. . .peaceful transition of power.” Ah, I see the problem now that I see those ominous words, “. . .The media says. . . .” Daniel, good Lord, are you really spending your time watching, AND TAKING SERIOUSLY, “the media?” As a “lifelong Republican” you really should know better. If you would simply watch Tucker on FOX News at 7 PM every weekday and the FOX News for 15 – 30 minutes at a time throughout the day you wouldn’t find all of this so troubling.

Of course, I agree with you about Trump. Let’s both of us do what we can to build a more conservative Republican Party while being careful to keep Trumpidians in the Party as part of a new conservative Republican party coalition.

Perry Aubric says:

Does bloviating Stuart ever shut the hell up?

Biden won. Bigly. If this were over less than 600 votes in one state, then Trump would be justified to fight on. It’s not. So this false equivalency with 2000 is just more lunatic fringe bulls**t. Lamar! is spineless to the end, refusing to recognize reality. We on the left despise him for his lack of political courage. The reich wing despised him because he won’t embrace their whackadoodle conspiracy theories. Good riddance to him.

I can feel your pain Perry. You “. . .on the left. . .” simply have no patience with those who disagree with you, if only we would “. . .shut the hell up.” It’s all part of having an authoritarian personality that, after all, is why you “. . .on the left. . .” are “. . .on the left. . . .” in the first place. Alas, though I can feel your pain Perry, we are not in Oberlin or Berkley so I’m afraid you will have to put up with conservatives assertively opposing your leftist control and command policies whether we meet with your approval or not. And oh Perry, you needn’t read what I write. It’s OK, when you see my name on a response or reply just pass it by, I understand.

Of course, whether or not you think their cause of action has merit everyone has a constitutional right to go to court to seek relief from what they consider a violation of statutory or common law including President Trump. That’s true even if leftists like yourself don’t like the guy! That’s the point of the analogy with Al Gore. Liberals are complaining about how this is taking time. We survived with it taking time in 2000 and we will do so in 2020. If there is no merit in Trump’s complaints then the courts will throw the suits out and we will proceed. In the meantime, Perry please relax, in all probability the corrupt leftist infrastructure in your big city liberal dystopias will probably survive unscathed as usual.

Darn it, I forgot to take advantage of the rare opportunity when we are in agreement Perry regarding Lamar (Heritage-52%). Indeed, conservatives are very anxious to see the back of Lamar as he is replaced by Bill Hagerty who almost certainly will be at least 20 Heritage Action percent more conservative than Lamar. What will be interesting to watch as a Tennessee political junky Perry is whether Hagerty can do even better than that. If he wants to avoid a serious primary challenge in 2026 he sure as hell better.

We also a losing a most losable Phil Roe (Heritage-69%) from the First District. His replacement, Diana Harshbarger looks like another conservative pick up of 20 Heritage Action percent as well. As the old centrist/tepid conservative fossils in the Republican Party fade away, the super majority Tennessee Republican Party proceeds rightward, ever rightward, or as you would say Perry “reichward.”

Kenneth says:

And I bet there’s an equally “very good chance” that Bill Hagerty might be our next United States Senator?? Has Sen. Alexander been able to judge that race, too?? Semi-crickets from Mr. Alexander in a matter that has long since become obvious. Our Republican Party has become a beholden embarrassment to the world.

Kenneth, if you are a Republican you are a right of center guy while “the world” is well to the left of the U.S.A. in just about every way so I wouldn’t worry about what “the world” thinks or says. When “the world” stops being dependent on the U.S. for its security maybe we should then listen to its opinion. . .MAYBE.

The Republican Party had a titular leader, Donald Trump as decided by the majority of voters in Republican primaries in 2016. That leader is probably going to no longer be in office in a few weeks so he becomes one of many leaders of the Republican Party. It is up to each of us as Republicans to decide the direction of the party but we certainly want to keep the millions of Trumpidians in the fold as part of the Republican coalition. The Trumpidians have their opinion, we have ours. No one is beholden to anyone. Let the contest begin.

Perry Aubric says:

Liar that you are , Stuart, we on the left are not criticizing the time being taken. We are criticizing the total lack of merit in these lawsuits (all of which have been summarily dismissed or withdrawn because they are so crazy), the attempt by a fascist president to put and put steal an election that wasn’t even close, the deliberate undermining of American democracy. I feel your pain as you fear paying a fair share of taxes, and knowing that your personal gain means more to you than a free society, but Trump is a disgrace.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Stewart is irrational and will always question and attempt to belittle anyone who doesn’t agree with him, just like trump and his melt-down nut-job lawyer. The election is over, Biden won but the reality of that, infuriates conservatives. What the republicans are doing now is trying to disrupt and dismantle our democracy by using more dirty tricks. The republicans have become the party of dirty tricks. Trump is a total disgrace and people, like Stewart, and other (R) conservatives that lend him any support today know exactly what they are doing. It has nothing to do with seeking truth or justice, trump is afraid of going to jail.

Pamela DeMatteo-Linn says: