Alexander supports effort to promptly vote on Ginsburg replacement

U.S. Sens. Marsha Blackburn (R-Brentwood) and Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) attend a Tennessee Titans event in Nashville on Dec. 13, 2019 (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

U.S. Sen Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) wants to promptly take up the confirmation of President Donald Trump’s nomination to succeed the Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg even though he was among Republicans who argued against taking up Democratic President Barack Obama’s nomination to fill a high court vacancy in 2016.

“No one should be surprised that a Republican Senate majority would vote on a Republican President’s Supreme Court nomination, even during a presidential election year,” Alexander said. “The Constitution gives senators the power to do it. The voters who elected them expect it. Going back to George Washington, the Senate has confirmed many nominees to the Supreme Court during a presidential election year. It has refused to confirm several when the President and Senate majority were of different parties. Senator McConnell is only doing what Democrat leaders have said they would do if the shoe were on the other foot.”

“I have voted to confirm Justices Roberts, Alito, Sotomayor, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh based upon their intelligence, character and temperament. I will apply the same standard when I consider President Trump’s nomination to replace Justice Ginsburg,” he said.

Here’s what Alexander said in 2016:

26 Responses to Alexander supports effort to promptly vote on Ginsburg replacement

Charles says:

Hypocrites! But they have the power. Not after November, though.

steve cates says:

The old reprobate never fails to do what he has always done..

No centrist with a Heritage score of 51% ALWAYS does anything steve because if he did he wouldn’t be a centrist with a Heritage score of 51%.

Phil Lassiter says:

He doesn’t mean it. All you libs relax. Conservatives, you know what I mean.

Eddie White says:

Lamar is right, Trump should go ahead and nominate and the Senate should confirm. There is no constitutional requirement to wait on Joe Biden. The problem will be the 3 Republican musketeers from Maine, Utah, and Alaska.

Was there a Constitutional REQUIREMENT for Obama to delay a nomination? No….there wasn’t. So what has the constitutionality have to do with controversy. Nothing. Way to throw a straw man into the conversation.

And idiot Tom Cotton, on Fox News Sunday, stated that the Supreme Court “applies the law”. Really? I thought they interpreted the law applying Constitutional principles. Good thing Trump has promised a woman or we might have gotten this guy.

Eddie White says:

The constitutional requirement statement was said in jest. So much for your straw. Sen Cotton would be an excellent nominee. He has forgotten more about the constitution than you will ever know.

Since everyone has forgotten more than you know Eddie, I am sure that is a saying you’ve heard often and so it is on the tip of your tongue.

I am not a lawyer so I would hope he knows more. He has been right on many immigration issues and he should just let his nasally, whiny voice be heard more often on that subject.

Eddie White says:

Did you know that in 2016 Ruth Ginsburg gave the same answer on a Hypothetical question regarding a Supreme Court vacancy prior to a presidential election? She stated that the constitution does not require the president stop being the president at the end of November. Before you go on one of your illogical rants, she said that in jest. Did you know that there have been 29 Supreme Court vacancies prior to presidential elections and that Trump is following accepted tradition by going ahead with a nomination when the White House and senate are both of the same party?

Of course you don’t remember that I said 3 times in just the last 48 hrs that I would LOVE to see Trump make the appointment FAST and the confirmation FAST and would love to see a Conservative court. The other things I have mentioned are merely to reflect that each of those things will not be without Push back.

You truly have zero memory and cannot read with comprehension. And I assume you are a grown man. What a waste of taxpayer education dollars.

Eddie White says:

You don’t know what you believe. You have criticized Republicans for being hypocrites and not waiting until the election to fill the vacancy. You are politically confused at the least and apparently decided to call yourself a conservative. What a joke.

So in your limited way of thinking anyone who wants to see a senile-acting, Socialist-leaning Biden DEFEATED MUST always speak only in glowing terms for Trump, never disagreeing with his policies or strategies?

I voted against Hillary. I voted for Candidate Trump. I do not Agree with many of his policies nor with a lot of his Strategies. I post about that. I am NOT going to vote for Biden but I do NOT support much of what Trump has done especially the things that violate the promises Candidate Trump made.

I realize how totally confused you must be. You won’t remember tomorrow what I posted today. You can’t follow most reasoning that isn’t in a straight line (ie a vote for Trump means you love everything he does or says) and you can’t help respond to things that are intellectually over your head. Memory, Comprehension, Impulse Control

Lamar (Heritage-51%) the ole centrist comes through when the canons are roaring. A pleasant surprise from our senior senator for a change. Guess he wants to go out on a high note.

Tim Skow says:

Yo WHINERS !!!!!

Anyone want to dispute this quote?

“Senator McConnell is only doing what Democrat leaders have said they would do if the shoe were on the other foot.”

[ OH !! this ought to be good !! ] 🙂 #WHINERS

Eddie White says:

Tim, you are right. Stuart, this does not sound like one of the senators you put in the tall grass.

Sorry Eddie, any Senator with a lifetime Heritage score of 51% and Club For Growth score of 63% is a centrist who is the poster child for someone with a residence in the tall grass. Some don’t understand that scores like that mean from a conservative point of view that Lamar can be expected to vote right about half of the time just as Marsha (Heritage-85%) can be expected to be wrong about 15% of the time. This simply happens to be a time when Lamar is right. I’m not breathlessly surprised nor would I have been surprised if we heard Lamar give one of those centrist Republican sanctimonious statements of why he couldn’t bring himself to vote for a nominee this close to an election. For me scores of 50%/63% by Republican Senators are nowhere good enough to be a credible opposition to the leftist Democrats whose average Senate score is 4%!!!!

Eddie White says:

Stuart, I responded to your tall grass issue in the previous article, so I won’t be redundant. I don’t discount the scores, I simply try to look at the bigger picture. On the most important issues such as this important question of moving forward on this nomination, McConnell has stood with conservatives and the President. He has not cut and run.

McConnell (Heritage-63%) has a fanatical belief in the necessity of his being Majority Leader PERIOD. It is Trump who is driving this bus and if McConnell didn’t give full throated support to the President and at least give the appearance of herding his Heritage-78% Republican caucus in that direction the Right-to-Lifers and most other conservatives would have gone berserk and simply either stayed home in a few weeks or show up to vote for Trump then go home neglecting to vote for Tillis/McSally/Gardner etc. in sufficient numbers so that McConnell will be Mr. Minority Leader come January. McConnell is a slim-ball Chamber of Commerce shill who is out for Mitch and nothing and/or no one else.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Just re-read the above comments and we hear the (R)’s saying that “Trump should nominate someone and the senate should confirm her/him right away” – they say this even before there is a nominee named. Trump can, and frequently does, pull ultra nut-jobs out of his hat – remember he hires “only the best”. Just forget that most of them are in jail or have since come out loudly against the entire trump parade. It doesn’t matter who the nominee is just as long as they have some high racketeering score that is above some magic number. Even below average scores, like both of our current senators, seems to be acceptable as long as they do it quick. This type of Hypocrisy, if it holds up, will eventually destroy the integrity of the Supreme Court. All a man or woman really has in life is their word of honor, and McConnell, Graham, Alexander and Blackburn have lost that a long time ago. It is indeed a sad state of affairs for the US today and it just might get worse with Trump’s pick of one more of “only the best.” These are “lifetime” positions he is doling out to his donors and friends. I am extremely disappointed that not only both of my Tennessee senators have failed miserably with the most important integrity issue, but also because so many of you seem to think this is acceptable as long as you win.

• Pingback: Monday, September 21

Norma says:

Hypocrite!! The Republicans insisted on delaying a vote close to the election when Obama was in the WH. Now they’re trampling their own processes to hold a vote even closer to an election. This is a blatant power grab by the Republican dinosaurs who know they couldn’t win a fair electoral fight and they’re hoping that by stacking the federal courts with unqualified judges, they’ll be able to use the courts to unfairly stay in power. But it can’t save them from extinction. Their voter base is shrinking as a majority of citizens and voters dump their antique, outdated image of America.

If you’re talking about the decline and fall of this once great country that we have inherited but seem so obviously incapable of preserving you may very well be right but I am desperately doing everything I can to delay the coming dystopia brought on my an overdose of left wing government as long as possible. Funny thing, we apparently are heading in the direction you describe, but have you seen the current Right Track/Wrong Track polls? The poor uninformed American people who are bringing on this dystopia upon themselves, don’t seem that happy about it.

Perry Aubric says:

No surprise. Lamar! Can finish his political career without ever one demonstrating a scintilla of political courage.

Eddie White says:

If Obama was president and the senate was under democratic control, Perry and his liberal colleagues would have no problem with nominating a Supreme Court justice. The most bizarre thing yet is the Speaker of the House saying she would support impeachment of the president if he submits a nominee. Impeachment on what grounds?

Lance Persson says:

Recently I saw a cartoon that nicely summarizes what I hear in all these responses. In it, a person was carrying a sign which simply said “GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT I WANT”.