Air war intensifies as 1st District race concludes

The free-for-all in the GOP primary to succeed retiring U.S. Rep. Phil Roe (R-Johnson City) in the 1st Congressional District is reaching its final hours.

A poll commissioned by WJHL-TV indicates a tight race. The survey conducted by Spry Strategies has the race as:

• Rusty Crowe: 16.1%
  • Diana Harshbarger: 15.8%
  • Josh Gapp: 11.7%
  • Timothy Hill: 10.4%
  • Steve Darden: 9.3%
  • John Clark: 8.9%
  • David Hawk: 6%

The poll of 665 likely voters has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

The Club for Growth has been advertising heavily in support of state Rep. Timothy Hill of Blountville while also attacking Kingsport pharmacist Diana Harshbarger, state Sen. Rusty Crowe of Johnson City, and Knoxville dermatologist Josh Gapp. A Club for Growth poll had Hill leading the race, with Harshbarger and Crowe within the margin of error.

Harshbarger has her own ads out attacking Hill, Crowe and former mayors Clark of Kingsport and Darden of Johnson City.

“I try to love all God’s creatures, but I’m sorry, I just hate snakes,” Harshbarger says in one ad. “And if you release a snake in the swamp, it’s never coming back.”

Crowe has his own spots out, highlighting his affable nature as a contrast to the attacks going on all around him.

“As a veteran, I know when you’re taking fire you’re over the target,” Crowe says in the spot. “And the Washington, D.C., swamp is firing on me.”

“Ignore the attacks and join my fight to give D.C. a good ole’ dose of Tennessee,” he says.

Gapp, who lives outside the district boundaries, has poured $1.2 million of his own money into his bid. His ad includes images of the candidate wandering through a set tipping over a Planned Parenthood sign, wielding an AR-15 rifle, and pledging to let Nancy Pelosi know that “in Tennessee we celebrate Easter, Christmas, our flag, our national anthem, and we always will.”

14 Responses to Air war intensifies as 1st District race concludes

As a conservative what I don’t want to see is a No Record Candidate townie with no ideology filling that office when there are three fine solid conservatives from the General Assembly to choose from. If it has to be Rusty Crowe at the age of 73 to fill the seat for a few terms let it be and in a few years we’ll run this race over again. I still have hope the Timothy Hill (and the Club For Growth) can pull this out.

Hill should not have voted for an Article V Constitutional Convention. Holl No

Karen Bracken says:

Hill is not the constitutionalist he would like folks to believe. He is quite illiterate on the subject. He voted for an Article V convention and he has only given lip service when we tried to get him to help fight and end Common Core in TN. AND I can prove any legislator that says CC is gone in TN is a flat out liar. The name Common Core is gone but that is about all. The CC aligned standards are still in our state and the revised standards are even worse than the original CC standards and that is according to standard experts. I am not supporting any of the political hacks that speak one thing yet do another.

• I think Gapp is best. Younger guy with plenty of money

No Record Candidate. No ideology. No telling how he is going to vote which after all is the only real job of the individual who occupies the office he is running for. Good thinking Phil!!!! Phil, do you have an ideology or are you in this thing because you like to troll around?

• Just curious why you’re not consistent in supporting conservatives

That’s why Perry gets angry with me for repeating the same things over and over because many of you who contribute to these responses every day have such short memories that I have to reply for the benefit of new readers to things you either know are false or you just like to troll. Wouldn’t it be more productive/interesting Phil, if you would be more like me so that you could say something like the following:

“I am Stuart I. Anderson, a solid conservative, who supports and have sent a significant contribution to Timothy Hill who scores an 88% by the American Conservative Union.”

Isn’t that nice? You have the ideology, and you have the candidate that perfectly reflects that ideology through a proven record of service in a lower office. Now Phil isn’t that so much preferable to just writing responses and replies because of some bizarre desire to antagonize or inflame readers?

Rogers Stonecipher says:

There’s a chance we wake up Friday and there’s no Micah Van Huss, Timothy Hill, or Matthew Hill in the state legislature. Maybe dreams do come true.

This is a conservative state Rogers. The Republican Party officeholders are getting more conservative with each passing election. The Democratic Party is moving left with the same speed and is getting increasingly out of touch with the voters. Timothy Hill will be gone but hopefully the others will be back. If not, there are plenty of conservatives to take their place, on that you can rely.

Donna Locke says:

The candidates who really understand what must be done are not being supported and elected.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Voter suppression, gerrymandering, and many other types of Republican dirty tricks have historically let a good number of crooks “win” elections across the USA. Of course, the tricks change over time but it is consistently the Republican party that uses any and all unethical or illegal tactics to pull out a victory! When this is pointed out, there are some who will reply that I am just writing this out of some “desire to antagonize or inflame readers.” Sad and untrue but republican talking points, no doubt.

Donna Locke says:

When I moved back to Tennessee 18 years ago, most Tennesseanns were voting Republican, but the Democrats had the state gerrymandered to suppress the majority and keep control. When Republicans finally took over, they redistricted to reflect reality.

Taxpayer #314 says:

Gerrymandering is wrong no matter who does it. It needs to stop. All voter suppression must stop. The Dems have made lots of mistakes in the past but the Republican party has just taken over any and all unethical dirty tricks in trying to control the vote, especially under the Trumpster.