UAW workers at GM plant in Spring Hill narrowly reject deal

United Auto Workers union members at the General Motors plant in Spring Hill have narrowly rejected a tentative national agreement for a new contract. Workers have been on strike for more than a month.

The vote was 1,673 against the deal and 1,666 in favor. The ratification of the deal will be determined by the total UAW membership around the country. Voting is expected to be completed by Friday.

GM plants in Spring Hill and Lansing, Mich., would be in line to make a next generation midsize SUV under the deal. Making the new vehicle is projected to cost $1 billion and create 5,000 jobs.

UAW-covered workers would receive a $11,000 signing bonus upon ratification of the contract, while temporary workers would get $4,500.

Workers would receive 4% lump sum payments in the first and third years of the contract, and 3% wage hikes in the second and fourth years. The agreement also envisions an accelerated path for temporary workers to become employees.

20 Responses to UAW workers at GM plant in Spring Hill narrowly reject deal

• MARLE says:

Average GM UAW worker makes $62/hr. Average “skilled” worker at GM makes $90K/yr. They have the best healthcare coverage for workers and widowed spouses. The average GM retiree pension is $18K and the average pensioner is eligible for an additon $16-18K in SS benefits.

Of course they should hold out for more. This is yet one more example of how mistreated US workers are.

• Lenny says:

So the skilled salary worker makes less than the generic hourly worker? $62 an hour is $130,000 a year before overtime.

• MARLE says:

What you make is not what you take home. No one works 52 weeks per year. The $90K I believe was take home. But still, a husband and wife who are GM workers making $180K is not sob-sister level corporate abuse.

• Cannoneer2 says:

Good for GM workers. GM certainly isn’t hurting in a good economy. I have a choice in vehicles and can buy GM or not buy GM. I wonder (and have not ever seen a peep of complaint on this site!) why Tennessee has the highest paid Secretary of State and highest paid Attorney General in the nation? Neither is exactly setting the world on fire and I DO have to help pay their salaries!

• Norm Howard says:

I’m not sure where these “facts” about the “average” GM worker’s earnings came from. I have a spouse who has worked there for 30+ years and earns less than the “average” figures you are quoting. Do you work for GM? The strike is not about GM employees ignoring the fact that these are, comparatively speaking, good jobs. It is more about the gross misappropriation of corporate profits and promises made to address the inequities of profit-sharing. It is about temporary employees being abused and marginalized. It is about sharing the success of the company with those who gave their blood and sweat to make it work. My spouse has a permanent disability because of his GM job. Many others do as well.

• MARLE says:

Then I assume your GM spouse is being compensated for the disability. No I don’t work for GM. Those were figures from a news release Sept 27, 2019. They don’t apply to all workers for the past 30 years and it represents an Average in the US, not an average for TN.

• MARLE says:

My uncle worked for GM. His widow survived him by another 22 Years. Had he had a 401K instead of a pension with accompanying Health Benefits she would not have lived so worry free! She would tell you that and so would her CPA son in law who marvels at the generous benefits she has Relative to other retirees.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

yes. They make the best cars and should be paid better than anyone, on average. I personally do not mind driving a $45,000 vehicle that should cost $25,000 if it secures more jobs. GM will invest the billion here no matter what. They have no choice, anyway. Bully for Labor!

• MARLE says:

Me too! I want to pay $20K more for my Chevy car and I also want to pay twice as much for every other thing I buy….or maybe 3x more would be even better. And if the poor can’t keep up with inflated prices then I want to be Taxed twice as much so the government can subsidize their higher priced purchases too.

Can’t wait to wake up tomorrow and find out how much more I can help!!!!!

• Lenny says:

Aunt Bea, your 1990 Geo will get you back and forth to church every Sunday. Also, you’re not funny. Stuart Anderdon has better jokes than you. Try again.

• MARLE says:

Not an “Aunt” to any person on earth! Don’t drive a domestic car. And don’t go to Church on SUNDAY. You’re quite the sleuth, Lenny. And you’re not funny either. But please Don’t Try Again.

• Lenny says:

Replies are indented below the comment. I even started the reply addressed to Aunt Bea Shaw. Get your glasses, granny.

I wrote a letter/op-ed about this strike that my local newspaper, the Columbia Daily Herald, did not publish. The Herald editor is not into journalism, but one might think another view to constant kiss-up to GM and the UAW would fill some space at least, although, of course, that newshole is relatively tiny now and filled with editor commentary (see above) and Washington Post drivel that most of us here laugh at. This is a conservative county. I will post my letter here later if Erik doesn’t mind. GM has shafted Maury Countians — not counting the UAW transplants, of course.

• Pingback: Spring Hill UAW Workers Narrowly Defeat Proposed Contract in National Vote - Tennessee Star

I guess I’ve flogged the Daily Herald editor enough. His name is James Bennett, by the way. Anyway, the likely clue to this letter’s nonpublication is in the second paragraph. We just want the young ones coming up to know what happened.

The Editor:

In all this United Auto Workers strike talk, I never once heard mention of concern about the local native Tennesseans (and I don’t mean the relatives of GM transplants) whom General Motors promised to hire in large numbers when GM was deceiving its way down here.

The local hiring — we were promised at least half would be local hires — didn’t happen to any great extent. I believe at first there was NO local hiring as promised. And there was no accountability. Has the Herald ever tried to find out how many Tennesseans with no ties to GM have ever been hired and how many are working at the Spring Hill plant now?

Maury County has been inundated with GM transplants we locals were and are forced to subsidize by building schools and more and more infrastructure. Not to mention the monetary incentives GM has sucked out of our taxes, and the local jobs taken by the chain migration of UAW relatives. You can say jobs were created to serve the UAW transplants and the enormous population increase, but growth does not pay for itself. The previously existing residents pay for it. We’ve lost a good bit of the beauty and quality of life we had, and most of us cannot afford second homes to get away as this growth continues. I’ve seen a number of GM workers brag about their second homes and their ability to buy lots of acres for main homes away from Maury County, which they know they’ve trashed. I saw some of them and their spouses sneer at the locals and the facts and brag about their “big GM bucks” in old forums on this newspaper’s Web site.

What are they bragging about? They’ve made a lot of dangerous vehicles that have killed people.

The UAW members have used temporary workers as a front to mask their demands for more money and continued Cadillac health insurance for themselves. The temporary workers are a small fraction of the thousands working in Spring Hill, and the UAW’s primary concern about these temporaries seems to be the desire to move UAW members’ children and grandchildren into the plants at the high (for what they do) wages and benefits the permanent workers now get.

The UAW members are complaining because they pay only 3% of their health care costs, and GM wanted to raise it to 15%. The average non-auto worker pays about 30% of their own health care costs, and many don’t have dental benefits or $10,000 yearly bonuses that the UAW folks take for granted. Just be honest, UAW, about your extraordinary wages and benefits and your sense of entitlement. Your employer is looking at the generous pensions it, or we taxpayers, will have to fund, so you’d better think ahead.

Mike Bennett, a former UAW bargaining chairman at the Spring Hill plant, used to write a column for this newspaper. He was honest and went into great detail about how GM did a number on our naive local and state government leaders. The in-lieu-of-taxes agreement, the lies about local hiring, and more. I met Mike once. Nice guy. He was right. We were had.

My dad was an ironworker, one of the topmost dangerous jobs in this country. I remember when we didn’t have health insurance and my father went out to borrow money when I was hospitalized as a kid. I remember when several of his friends fell to their deaths. The ironworkers’ union got us health insurance, safety protections, and more. I appreciate what labor unions have done. I am not impressed with what a number of unions do today. Be honest at least. That goes for our local government as well.

Donna Locke
    Columbia, TN

Good letter. I thought since TN is a ‘right to work’ state, you don’t need to belong to a union. Just think if you got that pay and NOT in a union. I would Never be in a union, I would be independent, just a regular employee. If I did not like the pay or benefits I would leave. Period.

• MARLE says:

I thought we WANTED GM to offer jobs to displaced workers when they closed plants. Now we want them to hire only locals. There really is no pleasing most people!

• Beatrice Shaw says:

When Saturn went bust all bets were off the table I was told. I believe that is a legitimate talking point. Let’s don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg.