U.S. Chamber endorses Blackburn

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Marsha Blackburn speaks at a forum hosted by the Tennessee Chamber of Commerce at Lipscomb University in Nashville on Aug. 15, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Marsha Blackburn has received the endorsement of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

“Marsha has a strong record of supporting pro-business policies that help create jobs and grow our economy,” Rob Engstrom, senior vice president and national political director at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, said in a release. “In Congress, she has worked to cut unnecessary regulations and create an economic climate that allows businesses to thrive.”

Here’s the full release from the Blackburn campaign:

Brentwood, TN –  Today, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce announced its endorsement of Marsha Blackburn for U.S. Senate.

“Marsha Blackburn is the best candidate to represent Tennessee in the U.S. Senate, ” said Rob Engstrom, senior vice president and national political director at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. “Marsha has a strong record of supporting pro-business policies that help create jobs and grow our economy. In Congress, she has worked to cut unnecessary regulations and create an economic climate that allows businesses to thrive. The U.S. Chamber is proud to endorse her.”

“The U.S. Chamber is a strong advocate for American businesses, and I am so honored by their endorsement,” said Marsha Blackburn. “The best way to create jobs and grow the economy is to get government out of the way and let small business owners do what they do best – innovate and create new jobs. In the Senate, I will continue to work to cut taxes, reduce regulations, promote free markets, and control government spending.”

21 Responses to U.S. Chamber endorses Blackburn

What a Surprise, big bucks Blackburn and her lobby possie are on the same page! Who would have thunk?
    Well she does vote for MORE debt, MORE spending and MORE regulations.
    The Chamber LOVES her !

• Leslie Parsley says:

The chamber has sunk to the bottom of the cess pool. Ignorance and greed are not assets.

• June landrum says:

I think it’s grand

• Silence Dogood says:

So let’s vote for Gary Johnson? Speaking of sinking to the bottom of the cesspool I voted for John McCain for President. A very disgusting time politically in my life.

I voted third party rather than vote for McCain who I always regarded as one of the most odious men in politics. Not even the prospect of Obama could make me vote for him and I am proud of myself to this day for not having done so.

• Silence Dogood says:

I do feel so compromised….

• MarLE says:

Oh, no Stuart!!!!!! Didn’t you realize that voting for someone who couldn’t win would ensure Obama’s victory. OH, NO!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve been looking for someone to blame for those awful 8 years. And now I know it was you.

And Stuart, The U.S. Chamber of Commerce gave McCain an 80 percent grade on his voting record. And The American Conservative Union gives McCain a lifetime score of 82.3 percent.
          Guess you need to not vote for Marsha !

Yes James, I admit that my failure to vote for McCain was animated by pure hatred of the public persona of McCain. That was the only time I failed to vote Republican on that basis.

I didn’t vote for “Lips” Bush when he ran for re-election because he brazenly lied to us about taxes. No politician who lies to conservatives in that way should ever get conservative votes again if conservatives ever want to be taken seriously. His son “Uniter” Bush didn’t get my vote when he ran for re-election because he spent his first (and the second) term decimating the conservative Republican platform by refusing to veto legislation passed by the liberal Democrats and punctuating his refusal with that stupid grin on his face saying “I’m a ‘uniter,’ not a divider.”

There are certainly times James when Republicans should be deprived of conservative votes in order to make the party more conservative. When you rarely vote for incumbent Republicans, however, the educational value of your abstinence is entirely lost.

I not only realized it, that was precisely the result I was hoping for by enough people doing likewise to move the needle. Unfortunately, Obama won because of a combination of virtue signaling by Caucasians, the Clinton administration being relatively moderate, and McCain running an amazingly miserable campaign. Thus, the educational value of my voting third party was lost when the Constitution Party candidate received an infinitesimal number of votes.

• MarLE says:

You spent endless time here, Stuart, telling people to vote for the person who could win. Are you writing this stuff in some sort of trance or altered state?

This is in response to MarLE’s 9:15 pm comment:

Actually I spent “. . .endless time here. . .” explaining that of the four major candidates for governor in the Republican primary Randy Boyd was a centrist, Diane Black and Beth Harwell were tepid conservatives and Bill Lee was a political dilettante who never showed the slightest interest in politics, let alone conservative politics , before deciding that it would be fun to be governor so he would try to buy the office. As a conservative I advocated that defeating Randy! was job one, and as for the other three it was the “trifecta of mediocrity” so we should simply vote for whoever the polls showed had the best chance of defeating Randy! because there wouldn’t be that much difference in the administrations of any of the three members of the trifecta. As we got closer to election day and the polls gave no clear indication of who would most likely defeat Randy! other than the fact that it certainly wouldn’t be Beth I indicated that between No Record Candidate Lee and Diane Black who has a lifetime Heritage score of 78% conservatives should vote for Diane.

That MarLE is a summary of the highly nuanced strategy I advocated regarding the gubernatorial election in the Republican primary. For you to distill that strategy into my “. . .telling people to vote for the person who could win” causes me great pain and distress and makes me question my communication skills. In addition, while walking down memory lane hopefully someone will remember that I supported Jimmy Matlock and Judd Matheny in the 2nd and 6th congressional districts as well as Rebecca Ann Burke in the 61st state house district as candidates with the most impressive conservative credentials. All three were decided underdogs in their races who proceeded to lose.

Obviously MarLE what we had during this election was a failure to communicate. Rather than ascribe this to either of us having spent the weeks before election “. . .in some sort of trance or altered state” I think you may have missed some of my comments which led you to believe I approached these elections as simply trying to vote for someone who will win when in fact I always approach every election, except McCain’s, with the goal of furthering the conservative movement.

• MarLE says:

You had an “anybody but Boyd” message. Beth Harwell was not Boyd. Yet you told people not to waste their vote on her because she couldn’t win.

• MarLE says:

So Stuart~ you didn’t vote for Bush 1, didn’t vote for Bush 2, didn’t vote for McCain. Did you vote for Clinton twice???

• Phil Lassiter says:

True, Stuart

• Eddie White says:

I have a lot respect for John McCain’s service to our country. Any person who fought and ended up a POW deserves our respect. However, I never thought he was a good presidential candidate. I voted for him though, I did not waste my vote on Gary Johnson.

• Bob Timmerman says:

When I owned and operated a photography business in Murfreesboro, I was often invited to join the Chamber of Commerce. Told ’em I didn’t agree with their politics, wouldn’t feel comfortable in their company. This reinforces my decision to shun their organization. Blackburn is an embarrassment to the great state of Tennessee.

You were wise in refraining from joining the Chamber of Commerce because it usually is the purveyor of muscle and financial support of centrist Republicans and thus is one of those organizations that stand in the way of a conservative takeover of the Republican Party. I would be more effusive in my compliments to you, however, if I didn’t get the disquieting feeling that this wasn’t the reason why you didn’t join the Chamber.

• Tennessee Jed says:

The Chamber must love Marsha. Her claim to fame is handouts to telcomm and prescription opioid companies. Suprised the endorsement didn’t come with a lifetime achievement award.

• Twyman Towery says:

Don’t forget the owners and torturers of Tennessee Walking Horses who she championed, or speeches for veterans and then votes against them. Also, we are so fortunate to have a man of Phil Bredesen’s stature and accomplishment for the state opposing her.

• MarLE says:

Now there’s an idea for Bredesen. Ads with TN walking horses like that Humane Assoc ad that is so gut retching.