Timothy Hill running for Congress in 1st District

Rep. Timothy Hill (R-Blountville) confers with House Speaker Beth Harwell (R-Nashville) March 29, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

State Rep. Timothy Hill of Blountville is running for the congressional seat being vacated by retiring U.S. Rep. Phil Roe (R-Johnson City).

Hill joins a field of Republican candidates that includes former Kingsport Mayor John Clark, state Sen. Rusty Crowe of Johnson City,  former Johnson City Mayor Steve Darden, and Kingsport pharmacist Diana Harshbarger.

Here’s the release from the Hill campaign:

BLOUNTVILLE, Tenn. — State Representative Timothy Hill today announced that he will be a candidate for Congress in Tennessee’s 1st district. Hill released the following statement:

“This district is strongly Republican, but it is critical that our nominee also be a proven conservative who will be a stalwart ally of President Trump against radicals like Nancy Pelosi and AOC. When it comes to supporting our conservative values my record is second to none- I’ve been a leading voice in Tennessee for the unborn, for our second amendment rights, and against tax hikes. As your member of Congress I’ll continue the fight for those same values, put people first, and I’ll support President Trump’s agenda 100%, especially the fight to build the wall and recover quickly from the Chinese Coronavirus.”

Hill has represented Johnson County and parts of Carter and Sullivan County since 2012. He currently serves as chairman of the House Commerce Committee and previously served in leadership as House Majority Whip. Representative Hill has been recognized by a number of conservative organizations for his leadership including a ranking of 3rd Most Conservative Legislator out of 132 members by the Club for Growth and the highest recognition for Conservative Excellence by the American Conservative Union.

To guide his campaign, Hill has hired Mike Lukach who served as a state director for President Trump’s 2016 campaign and later served in his administration.

Timothy Hill is a small business owner and dedicated family man. Timothy is a 7th generation East Tennessean, and he reside in Blountville with his wife Charity their two sons and their bulldog Winston.

38 Responses to Timothy Hill running for Congress in 1st District

Another supporter of an Article V Constitutional Convention, that could destroy our current constitution, wants to be a congressman. Nope.

4 times he mentions TRUMP. Not gonna fly

• Eddie White says:

Sounds like a strong conservative candidate to me. Glad to see him in the race. I like the fact also that he is a 7th generation Tennessean.

And I absolutely LOVE the fact that he has a lifetime American Conservative Union rating of 88%!

• Karen Bracken says:

Je won’t get my vote for several reasons.

• Dr. Arnold Hopland says:

Timothy is a man of character. He can be trusted to act in the interest of all first district citizens regardless of how they vote. His commitment and energy will be evident as he represents us. He bears no ill will toward any who may hold views other than the ones he supports. I believe he will be a strong voice of reason in a time of political discord. His pleasant personality will draw others to a consensuses position. Go Tim!

• John says:

Nice cleanup attempt, Arnold, but we can read this press release with our own eyes. What a disgusting, government per diem leeching “conservative” he is.

Yea John it takes a liberal like you to be a true connoisseur of conservative candidates. Keep it up John and get your leftist friends to join you. I am sure Republicans in the R-28 First District would love your input as to what you think of the array of Republican congressional candidates as Tim uses you as one fabulous negative indicator.

• LeeAnn C. says:

He and his brother seem to have unethical money issues. The recent speaker selection process revealed them working to buy support, replicating Casada’s style of arm twisting. Not my district, but I’d like to see a more ethical candidate.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

That speaker they elected and posed with was snorting cocaine and sexing females in public restaurant toilets. I was here for all that mess.

Ah the liberal mind, let’s open the jails and release felons of all sizes and shapes and let’s not prosecute individuals for thefts below about $1,000 but don’t let us catch you in a photo with or voting for someone who allegedly “. . .snorted cocaine and sexing [sic] females in public. . .toilets” and apparently you lose your right to run for public office. Happily Beatrice and her handful of friends are the only liberals in the First District so I expect Timothy to do quite well come August.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

where is the first district? Im in Maury County

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were in the First, which is in the far eastern tip of Tennessee. If you are in eastern Maury including Columbia you are in the Fourth represented by House Freedom Caucus member Scott DesJarlais (Heritage-87%) and northwest of Columbia you are in the Fabulous Seventh represented by another great House Freedom Caucus member Mark Green (Heritage-100%). Either way, you are a very lucky woman indeed!!!

• MARLE says:

Aunt Bee did not know who Haslam was (she said) b/c that must have been before she got here. (Jan 15, 2020) but she WAS here during the cocaine snorting. “SHE” is pulling your leg, Stuart.

Consensus-conshmensus! Timothy is a true believing honest to goodness conservative Dr. H and that’s exactly what we need more of in Congress. When an R-28 district seat opens up only a candidate with a long record of table-pounding conservative advocacy like Timothy will do .

HALLELUJAH!!!! Cue the Mormon Tabernacle Choir! Nothing less than the last movement of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony should mark this fabulous announcement. Timothy Hill (ACU-88%) replacing Phil Roe (Heritage-70%) if that doesn’t do it for you conservatives you just ain’t alive!!!! Now we must just pray that David Hawk decides he has better things to do than run for congress.

For conservatives that’s the key race come this August. Trump is a shoe-in in Tennessee, Hagert vs. The Chairman is a snoozer. This is the key in our continuing project to move the Republican Party rightward, rightward, ever rightward.

• Jason Wallflower says:

Hill is going to get smoked.

At least this gets him out of the state house. He won’t be able to raise money, he wont be able to put together a real campaign team (Lotfi doesn’t count), and he has a record that oppo researchers are salivating to use.

Thanks for reminding me Jason.

OK all you plutocrats who have ambitions to run for high office some day and you picture yourself running as a conservative, especially if your political record is a little light to nonexistent. This is the race to begin to establish your conservative bona fides! A maximum contribution to Timothy’s campaign would be a wonderful step forward in your path to high office. Please don’t suffer the embarrassment of showing up for your race like Chairman Manny!

• LeeAnn C. says:

I hope he gets smoked, but he and his brother already have plenty of money. I’m assuming they didn’t follow through with their commitment of $1000 to each state rep that voted for M Hill to be speaker.

You’re turning your back on a candidate with a very impressive conservative record and I thought you are a conservative. The only other candidate with any conservative credentials that I know of in the race is Rusty Crowe (ACU-83%) who is 73 years-old, a bit late to embark on a congressional career. Besides, as I recall some lady from the First District offered came onto this site and wrote a lengthy response the gist of which was that Crowe is ethically challenged as well.

Somebody is going to be sitting in the First District’s seat next January. Who do you like?

• LeeAnn C. says:

I know that I lost all respect for the Hill brothers during the idiotic Speaker fiasco. I wouldn’t vote for them or their buddy, Casada, for catcher. I don’t live in the district. If Hawk ran, I’d vote for him. With a choice of local mayors or Crowe, I’d vote for Crowe. He was part of fighting back income tax for TN.

I simply want to get a stalwart conservative into that seat. Now that Tim is running it’s sort of a “first past the post” thing insofar if Hill, Hawk, and Crowe all ran they will split the vote of conservative Republicans who care about a record and a townie might sneak in who might turn out to be a Phil Roe reasonable facsimile and a lost conservative opportunity. On the other hand, there are three townies running who I hope stay in the race and are joined by a few more thus splitting the tepid conservative/”I don’t know nuthin” vote which enhances a chance for a true conservative to win.

• None of your business says:

You should really do your research before you make up lies about a good and descent man.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Resigning from current position?

• Beatrice Shaw says:

….and this has WHAT to do with the crisis that is killing Americans….including people from Tennessee left and right? Suspend campaigns!! Concentrate on getting stimulus money and food /medical supplies to us!

• MARLE says:

I’ll bet Trump would love the campaign suspension idea. On his behalf, Thanks, Aunt Bee

Bleeding Heart Beatrice’s far left musings would be funny, even clinically interesting, if it were not for the fact that we recently learned that she works in a government school. She might even be a TEACHER infecting the younger generation with nonsense before they are old enough to separate sense from nonsense. Now that isn’t funny at all.

• MARLE says:

• Beatrice Shaw says:

I do teach history and American Government you comments are not kind

• MARLE says:

Yeah…..ME comments are not kind.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!

• MARLE says:

To repeat, Stuart……………….She doesn’t really exist except as the alter-ego, parody queen, and comic relief for whoever is behind her watching to see how effectively “she” can goad conservatives into responding. Lenny, the bible-quoter has disappeared. Aunt Bee has shown up. Could there be a connection?

Well, if Beatrice and Lenny are one in the same at least Beatrice is a far more intelligent, consistent version of the specimen, while Lenny’s responses seemed to be that of someone in middle school who almost everyone simply ignored in the hope that it would eventually go away which happily it eventually did.

• MARLE says:

Not saying that. But she’s not for real.

• MARLE says:

To repeat, Stuart…..Aunt Bee said “she” did not know who Haslam was b/c,, “she” said that must have been before she got here. ( so before Jan 15, 2020) but “she” WAS here during the cocaine snorting. “SHE” is pulling your leg, Stuart.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Beatrice, they have deadlines for turning in their petitions. The elections are coming. Why not campaign in safe ways? We do need to make decisions by gathering information. Fixating on COVID 19 doesn’t take up all of our free time!

• Pingback: Wednesday, March 25

• Phil Lassiter says:

Mr Hill needs to make EXTRA SURE no Iranians are handling his social media or working in his campaign. Many will be watching