Taylor Swift endorses Bredesen in Senate race

Democratic Senate candidate Phil Bredesen speaks at a rally in Nashville on Aug. 20, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Superstar Taylor Swift has endorsed Democrat Phil Bredesen’s Senate bid over Republican Marsha Blackburn.

Swift announced her endorsement in a lengthy Instagram post on Sunday, which set of a social media frenzy among supporters and opponents alike. Here’s part of what she said:

As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn. Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me. She voted against equal pay for women. She voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which attempts to protect women from domestic violence, stalking, and date rape. She believes businesses have a right to refuse service to gay couples. She also believes they should not have the right to marry. These are not MY Tennessee values. I will be voting for Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives.

Bredesen thanked Swift in a Twitter post:

21 Responses to Taylor Swift endorses Bredesen in Senate race

• Arleen Sims says:

Campaigns for offices have turned into he said she said. People running for office feel bashing and lies about the other candidates gets votes. I, and many others, don’t know what is true or false. What ever happened to candidates sharing THEIR beliefs on how they would benefit the country???? I wish and pray the country could come together over partisan politics and tell the lay person the truth.

• Susan E Gingrich says:

Big deal, another entertainer who knows less about politics than my cat endorses a democrat.

• Silence Dogood says:

Looking to enhance her image with the NY press Swift gives us this nugget of advice. Thanks, Taylor.

• William Upton says:

There’s a perfect reason to vote for Blackburn!

• David Collins says:

Funny thing. I feel sure that if she had endorsed Marsha Blackburn most of the responders appearing above would be lauding her for how informed she is and how big a boon this was going to be to the
    Blackburn campaign. Like the old saying goes, “It just depends on whose ox is being gored.”

• Silence Dogood says:

Not true for me. (I have never praised or mentioned Kayne) The relevance in this for me is how easy is this for her. Does she really think her opinion on political issues matters to anyone? If she had endorsed Blackburn, I would have applauded her career ending support for her principles. Hollywood is vehemently anti Conservative. (Bloody decapitated heads ring a bell?) Retribution is meted out to actors/actresses lives and careers by destroying them as a regular thing. And that would make a Conservative endorsement noteworthy. Swift is doing her cocktail circuit endorsement of a liberal which just goes to show that a person can be fabulously rich and famous and still be searching for relevance in the world. Who is Dolly Parton endorsing? Selling out is so sad…..MAGA by voting Marsha!

• MarLE says:

Fabulously rich and famous and searching for relevance…..haven’t seen any Republicans come down on or question the decision of West. And the whole Kardashian clan seems to totally “resemble” your remarks.

• John Crest says:

Soros is helping Bredesen through a PAC. http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C00609388/1232684/sa/ALL

• Erik Schelzig says:

Has that PAC spent money in Tennessee?

• John Crest says:

Yes, there is a PAC, Black PAC, that is running ads on a internet radio station for Bredesen. I looked at the FCC website but cannot find any records or contract yet for this month. But the disclaimer says paid for by Black pac. I will get a recording of it later and email it to you.

• John Crest says:

Where can I send it? I subscribed to the page so you should have my email.

• MarLE says:

I long for the day when conservative republicans can make their points without throwing in the names of George Soros or Saul Alinsky. Oh, happy day!

Speaking of George Soros, his money is also backing an Article V Constitutional Convention, voted and passed (two different ones), by the REPUBLICAN Tennessee state legislature. Like Marsha “Deep State” Blackburn, they say one thing and do another.

I think the 18-24 bubble heads may just take Taylor up on her suggestion, register and vote. But I do not take any entertainer’s endorsement seriously.

• Eddie White says:

For Bredesen’s sake, you better hope they do. Your man needs their votes.

• MarLE says:

Record level of registrations in a 24 hr period.

• Silence Dogood says:

That may be because the last day to register for this election was yesterday? All those folks who have been saying “I need to get registered” had to do so. Coincidence carefully crafted to make Swift look influential. Anyone with access to voter registration data look at registrations 2 and 4 years ago to see a similar bump in the last few days of registration? Just a thought….

• MarLE says:

makes sense……yet another reason she probably is as smart as she’s been given credit for being.

• Ed Taylor says:

And New Yorker Michael Bloomberg is hosting a high dollar fundraiser for Bredesen. Obviously Bredesen is tapped out in Tennessee. Better reopen his personal checkbook

• Silence Dogood says:

Still not forgetting the AMA she was subsequently at was, according to reports I read, the lowest watched in forever? Not certain that statement prior to the show was a smart move. Maybe smarter would have been afterward? Tarnished, now. So sad.