Surprise! Hagerty joins U.S. Senate race

Former U.S. Ambassador Bill Hagerty has officially joined the U.S. Senate race in Tennessee:

Here’s Hagerty’s statement:

Serving in President Trump’s administration was the honor of a lifetime, but when I saw the threat to Tennessee and our country from the Democrats’ socialist agenda, I felt called to act.  We must stand up to radical liberals like The Squad and their liberal socialist agenda that would deeply damage the America we know and love. With President Trump’s support, I’m ready to fight for your family in the U.S. Senate. In the coming months, we’re going to be working hard and traveling to every corner of our beautiful state to earn your trust. If you’re looking for a conservative family man with real experience, who will stand with President Trump, we’re running this campaign for you.

23 Responses to Surprise! Hagerty joins U.S. Senate race

And the call went out from the Republican establishment to Central Casting for a Republican candidate for Senate who will not offend the sensibilities of the Chamber of Commerce yet has the approval of Pres. Trump and out steps Bill Hagerty who spent his first professional years working for Democratic governors up in Kentucky, is a buddy of the very tepid conservative Mitt Romney, top fundraiser for Gov. Bill Haslam. . . . Talk about a centrist/tepid conservative Republican dream boat!

Bill Hagerty vs. No Record Candidate Sethi, for conservatives a Hobson’s choice election indeed!

• Lenny says:

Ok Boss Crump, who isn’t a tepid conservative? By the way, does that mean you want a hot or a cold conservative? I’m sure the piss Andy Holt left in the tepid conservative members’ chairs was pretty warm. Andy Holt’s Urine for US Senate 2020!

Any member of the Deep State Corrupt Department of State is not fit to be a US Senator from Tennessee.
    Stuart will vote for any Chamber of Commerce pick.

• Silence Dogood says:

I liked the ad. At the very least, Conservatives are being respected in that ad by listing their top issues and promises to vote in support of President Trump. Now all I need to hear is Senator Blackburn is endorsing him, permits in a joint press conference, and I am all in. Nothing left to do bu vote and then swear him in.

I will probably end up voting for him too if I don’t suffer a psychologically induced paralysis that prevents me from pushing the appropriate place on the screen. My only wish is that my friend Ward Baker doesn’t insult our intelligence by running Hagerty as a serious conservative. “Conservative family man” bespeaks a social rather than an ideological conservative – that’s the ticket.

• MARLE says:

TN republicans are Not looking for a conservative family man as evidenced by overwhelming support for Trump. If you have a crude, bold-faced liar, smorgasbord-directionless-policy-position cards to play….now would be the time to pull them out and put them on the table.

But “conservative, family man”~ not necessary in the age of Trump.

• MARLE says:

And don’t forget the importance of a catchy slogan for the mindless to chant.

Napoleon the pig had “Four legs good, two legs bad” . Trump has “Fake News” and candidate Trump had “Mexico will pay” and Lock her up (you can have more than one if they are short….and don’t worry, you don’t have to deliver on them. They are meant only to use to Get Elected).

As an Alternate Cruz delegate to the 2016 Republican Convention I love your compendium of Trump’s idiosyncrasies which hopefully will serve to act as an intervention of sorts for the benefit of our Trumpidian readers. Of course, Tennessee is going to go for Trump so no harm done, but given your anti-Trump animus, I do hope you eventually let us know who you end up voting for President just to satisfy our curiosity.

• MARLE says:

I happily voted for CANDIDATE Trump….what I got instead was a total distortion of the man (and policies) I voted for.

Next go around will be difficult.

• Silence Dogood says:

Not really certain how you will accomplish that change, Marle. Short of not voting, or voting for a radical left-wing Socialist, you will be stuck with Candidate Trump again. Or are you hoping throw your vote away voting for Gary Johnson?

• Lenny says:

I suggest following Stuart’s lead. A jar of Andy Holt’s warm urine for Senate 2020.

• Lance Persson says:

I hope Tennesseans will use wisdom when they choose a candidate in the Republican Senatorial primary and not just follow the advice of Trump. From what I have learned about the candidates in the 2020 senate primary, I will be supporting and voting for Sethi. I don’t want a senator who’s history includes supporting Haslam and Mitt Romney. I want a senator that speaks honestly, thinks through problems and isn’t influences by big pocket PACs. At this time that would clearly be SETHI.

all true, I want to know where Sethi stands, his www site is null on issues

Where he stands?!?!? Come on Janes, he has never been near an elective office before deciding that he has $1 million to blow on a race for U. S. Senate no less so you know he has never voted for an Article V Constitutional Convention. What else do you need to know?

“I want a senator that speaks honestly. . . .”

For example, Dr. Sethi’s ads describe him as “CONSERVATIVE OUTSIDER SURGEON.” In fact, there is absolutely no evidence of Dr. Sethi’s ever doing anything, despite his being very successful and well out of puberty, to lend any assistance whatsoever to the conservative movement and insofar as he was chairman of the Republican establishment’s flagship fundraising effort, the Statesmen’s Dinner in 2016, he can hardly be described as an “outsider.” I am happy to report, however, that Dr. Sethi is a surgeon. To put it in Meat Loafian terms, I’m afraid that one out of three is bad.

• MARLE says:

Did Marsha attend the 2016 Rep Dinner?

IF a conservative’s credentials should challenged for raising money for the event then why should a conservative like Marsha have dared be in attendance? How bout some of your other conservative darlings….Black, Green, Dejarlais,……were they there?

Yes in fact Marsha was a speaker at the ’19 Dinner. Maybe Heritage should take away points!

• Lenny says:

Marsha was just pretending to be a tepid conservative at that time. This was on the advice of Stuart “Boss” Anderson, of course. You needn’t know the reasoning. Just trust His infinite wisdom. He does edit the TN Star, after all.

MARLE, you simply refuse to play the game. It’s one thing to attend the flagship Republican fundraising event as a candidate or public official. Even I attended with Joe Carr in order to help him when he ran against Lamar. It’s another thing to advertise that you are an a “OUTSIDER” when you were recently CHAIRMAN of the event. Manny Sethi is an establishment “hanger-on” and has no credentials as either a “CONSERVATIVE” or an “OUTSIDER” so he doesn’t deserve the votes of conservatives who are looking for an alternative to Hagerty. He is simply a plutocrat whose audacity and arrogance should be rewarded by an ignominious defeat.

• EastTN Conservative says:

Phil Roe would make a formidable candidate if he got in the race. He would sweep East Tennessee against two Middle Tennessee candidates, he can raise money, he repealed the Obamacare Death Panels, and he got 29 bills signed into law by President Trump while he chaired the Veterans Affairs Committee.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! EastTN Conservative, if you want a conservative from your neck of the woods how about one of the Hill brothers. Indeed, if I have my congressional districts right in your area Timothy Hill is precisely the man I have been praying goes to Congress from the First District when Roe finally gives the country a break and retires.

Phil Roe has a miserable lifetime Heritage score of 71% which actually is an improvement over the scores he has been racking up over the years. He is running one hell of a race with Chuck Fleischmann (Heritage – 72%) over in the Third as to who can be the most liberal congressman in the Tennessee Republican delegation.

Come on EastTN Conservative, either we do better than Roe or we might as well vote for Hagerty.

• Bruce T Williams says:

We didn’t vote for Hillary because it would have been 8
    More years of Obama . We must vote for Hagerty because
    Haslam ordered us to .

No, as a conservative I can see voting for anyone but Hagerty because you simply can’t bring yourself to vote for anyone who is that wholeheartedly supported by the centrist/tepid conservative establishment and who has the potential of being no more than a tepid conservative. On the other hand, voting against Hagerty means voting for Manny Sethi who has absolutely no record of being a “CONSERVATIVE” or being an “OUTSIDER” or anything else except a “SURGEON” no matter what his disingenuous ads say.

It’s a Hobson’s Choice but right now I think I’ll go with Hagerty.