Sports betting bill becomes law without Lee signature

Gov. Bill Lee speaks at an economic development announcement in Nashville on March 20, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican Gov. Bill Lee has allowed the online sports gambling bill to become law without his signature.

Here is his letter to House Speaker Glen Casada explaining his actions:

RE: House Bill 0001/Senate Bill 0016 Speaker Casada:

I am letting House Bill 0001 become law without my signature.

I do not believe the expansion of gambling through online sports betting is in the best interest of our state, but I appreciate the General Assembly’s efforts to remove brick and mortar establishments. This bill ultimately did not pursue casinos, themost harmful form of gambling, which I believe prey on poverty and encourage criminal activity.

Compromise is a central part of governing, but I remain philosophically opposed to gambling and will not be lending my signature to support this cause. We see this issue differently but let me be cle ar: any future efforts to expand gambling or introduce casinos in Tennessee will assure my veto.

Respectfully,

Bill Lee

13 Responses to Sports betting bill becomes law without Lee signature

Perhaps he should have VETOED !

• Lenny says:

Perhaps. How can Lee be against Casinos and endorse Trump? I thought Trump’s experience running casinos is why Lee endorsed him for President.

• Lenny says:

Schoolmarm Lee. Stop electing these zealots. I don’t see very many poverty stricken people being preyed upon at the Kentucky Derby. I thought Republicans were for Freedom. Isn’t Trump a casino owner?

• MARLE says:

So he’s against gambling but prefers the ease of doing it round the clock from the comfort of your own home with the simplicity of a mouse-click Rather Than having to go to the trouble of driving to an actual “PLace”. Which scenario would seem more convenient to poor gambling addicts.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Casada story losing momentum. Regain the momentum to get him out. Rally!!! Regroup!!! We may well forget by June 3

• Lenny says:

Casada took a bullet for Lee. The FBI is investigating BILL LEE’s voucher bill, not Casada’s. Casada will get the blame and the prison time for Slick Lee and Consultant’s bribery.

• Jonathan Swift says:

Only tepid conservatives fail to veto.

• Lenny says:

His consultants are having him walk the line between Evangelicals and the Chamber. The Chamber always wins but they made him put out a statement to try to fool Evangelicals. Hypocrite.

Yes, the business-developer lobby always wins. That’s how your town becomes a hellhole, as Ted Turner once described Atlanta. I knew it was all over when they took down the ” scenic highway” sign on my end of town. I was pretty far out from the center.

I agree that Casada knocked himself out to get the governor’s legislation through. Casada learned from Naifeh and watched Naifeh pull out all the stops to do the same thing, not just for the governor but for other players. Stacey Campfield, as a new rep, was the first to enlighten the public about some of these shenanigans under Naifeh. He had a blog. The new ones may be stunned by it all, but all of them get used to it after the first year.

We see this all the time in politics — people who feel they are under orders or under the figurative gun to get things accomplished for those in power. They are the overt actors or soldiers and take the incoming. Often they become victims of their own compromises.

I expect nothing beneficial out of this legislature for the average Tennessean.

• Phil Lassiter says:

And on top of that, the Casada story has lost momentum. He will be back as Sprinter of the House in a few days and we will move on because nothing to see here.