Sexton prevails in House GOP caucus vote for speaker

Rep. Cameron Sexton (R-Crossville) speaks to the House Republican Caucus after winning their nomination for speaker on July 24, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Rep. Cameron Sexton of Crossville has won the Republican nomination for House Speaker. He prevailed after four rounds of voting on Wednesday.

In the final round of balloting, Sexton won 41 of 70 votes over Curtis Johnson (R-Clarksville). Matthew Hill of Jonesborough was eliminated in the third round and Mike Carter of Ooltewah and Ryan Williams of Cookeville were dropped after the second round. Jay Reedy of Erin failed to clear the first round of voting.

Sexton pledged not to rehire anyone who had left the employment of the House during the Rep. Glen Casada’s time as speaker. He added that others may not be retained going forward. Casada is scheduled to resign on Aug. 2.

Here’s how the voting played out:

Round 1 Round 2  Round 3 Round 4
Sexton  18 17 27 41
Johnson 16 19 23 29
Hill 16 16 20
Carter 11 9
Williams 8 9
Reedy 1

19 Responses to Sexton prevails in House GOP caucus vote for speaker

• LeeAnn C. says:

Now TN legislators can get back to work! Congratulations to Cameron Sexton! I’m confident that he will do a good job for Tennessee!

• Lenny says:

The same was said of Casada and Sanderson – “Family Values” conservative hypocrites with queer sexualities. Or who could forget Durham and Byrd pedophiles?

We’re all waiting for the airing of Sexton’s dirty laundry.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Obviously, you’ve never met the man. I expect nothing of the sort.

• Lenny says:

No, but when over 10% of the caucus are perverts and pedophiles, I’m sure you can understand why people are untrusting of family-values politicians. And those are just the ones that got caught. Who knows what’s going on at the sex clubs in Nashville during session?

• LeeAnn C. says:

I understand no such thing. I ascribe to the principle that anyone is innocent until proven guilty. I don’t believe there’s any validity to your statistic.

• Lenny says:

Bury your head in the sand, LeeAnn

• Blue Lady says:

I am confident Speaker nominee will be a great speaker. He is dusciplined, knows what needs to be done, and is a good man! Congratulations!

• Teddy says:

Great choice. Cameron is a class act. Don’t expect and dirt.

I want to thank those individuals who sought to console me upon Glen’s resignation that there was a good chance that Glen Casada’s replacement would be as conservative as Glen because I am happy to say that, in fact, it appears that Cameron Sexton is as conservative as Glen.

• Perry Aubric says:

Well, Sexton can sleep well tonight knowing that Stuart approves. What a relief for him. I am sure that was a top worry for him throughout.

Look, it was never about getting rid of a “conservative,” however you define that. It was about getting rid of a sleazy, dishonest, untrustworthy, unethical, immoral and racist individual.

BTW, all six of those candidates are conservatives by any objective standard, would fight you if you said otherwise. Only a true fringe dweller would have seriously thought they were not going to have a conservative speaker in a Republican super-majority House.

• MARLE says:

Stuart’s definition of a conservative is V-E-R-Y broad.

Conservative Green voted NO on debt level expansion saying
        “The spending deal before us would continue Washington’s reckless spending with an unlimited line of credit…I cannot support the bill”.

In the batter’s box is Stuart’s other Conservative, Marsha Blackburn. Soon we will see just how long the spectrum of “conservative” is for voters like Stuart. Anyone taking bets?

Stuart’s definition of “conservative” is based on support of free markets and limited government. It is a relative concept not a blue/pink litmus test. I generally support the most conservative candidate who has a reasonable chance of getting elected in each election. Of course, when faced with an election consisting of Lamar Alexander vote alikes or graduates of the John McCain charm school I would abstain or vote third party.

Mark Green is a member of the House Freedom Caucus and surely will end his first term in Congress with a 90+% Heritage score. Marsha began her career with Heritage scores in the 70’s and only moved over 80% late in her career. In a contest between Mark and Marsha I would vote for Mark. While there are no litmus tests, this stuff isn’t as amorphous as you make it out to be Marle.

• Phil Lassiter says:

The ‘free market’ education voucher bill is the WORST mistake ever made by a freshman Governor . To put all your political Capital into one issue that is the most controversial right out of the gate is not smart. He has totally divided his base of support and the legislature is in shambles. Whoever advised him is inexperienced in successful governance. The Speaker sold himself for that bill and I won’t be surprised if someone doesn’t get indicted.

• Lenny says:

Just wait for Bill Lee’s text messages. He’s the only one who can promote National Guard members. Casada was just the messenger.

marle, yet Green voted to give our tax money to Europe to pay for their SOLAR/WIND production. His record will be good only because the Democrats control the House and he just has to vote against them, But he does and will continue to Vote for More Spending More Government and Less Freedom, just has Marsha does.

• Pingback: Thursday, July 25

• Perry Aubric says:

Do you suppose Reedy is embarrassed that the only vote he got was his own?

• Phil Lassiter says:

Damn shame. He would have been the best man. Legislature is lost at sea. Out of touch w Tennessee. Cool little group I guess-if you’re a member and at receptions, etc-but governing-on the back burner to personal ambitions.