Sethi to ‘scale down’ campaign events due to coronavirus

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi speaks at a campaign event in Clarksville on Feb. 4, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi says he is dialing back campaign events in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

“As a trauma surgeon, I know the first thing you always do is stop the bleeding. As a result, our campaign is taking strong steps to prevent the spread and threat of COVID-19,” Sethi said in a release. “Yesterday, the CDC recommended no gatherings of over 50 people for the next eight weeks. In order to keep Tennesseans safe, I am scaling down campaign appearances and events.

Sethi said his staff will also engage in social distancing by working remotely.

“We have an excellent team statewide who are working to win in August, and they will continue to do so from the safety of their own homes,” he said.

11 Responses to Sethi to ‘scale down’ campaign events due to coronavirus

• LeeAnn C says:

All this COVID-19 situation is making me a bit cranky. This candidate is getting on my nerves. Raise your hand if you have not heard “as a trauma surgeon, I know…” Reminds me of John Kerry’s obsession with introducing himself “as a Vietnam war veteran “. I’m beginning to think he is the least qualified candidate of the whole batch. He seems best qualified to be …a trauma surgeon that likes to espouse opinions on government issues in his spare time. Why does he have all this spare time, by the way? Retreating back to my COVID bunker now.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

go be a doctor and use your skills during this panic epidemic hundreds of thousands of lives at stake

• Benny Jones says:

Raise your hand if you have saw Bill Hagerty anywhere

He needs his rest, Benny, as he prepares to be our next U. S. Senator with my tepidly enthusiastic vote. His election will probably be another instance of the Republican Congressional delegation from Tennessee moving to the right as he takes the place of the terrible Lamar Alexander (Heritage-51%).

• LeeAnn C. says:

Ambassador Hagerty is EXACTLY the steady hand and calm voice with experience that Tennessee needs to represent us in the Senate. There’s plenty of reasons that President Trump has chosen to endorse him. The overly eager doctor hasn’t bothered to serve anywhere in any way and expects us to trust his judgment as Senator because he wants to make a BIG difference. He’s certainly not equipped as Dr. Mark Green, an economist and physician that served in the state house and state senate before jumping to a statewide office.

• TR says:

Seems like Donald J. Trump didn’t bother to serve anywhere in anyway either and expected us to trust his judgment as PRESIDENT. I thought we were trying to drain the swamp of all these political insiders like Bill Haggerty?

Great point TR, that’s why I supported Ted Cruz for PRESIDENT in 2016. As for what we are trying to do, I don’t know about others but what I am trying to do is make the Republican Party as conservative as the Democratic Party is liberal. Neither Hagerty nor Chairman Manny are conservatives. Chairman Manny’s candidacy is particularly obnoxious, however, in the fact that there is nothing in the Chairman’s background that indicates that he has the slightest interest in the conservative movement and what little political record he does have shows him to be a Republican establishment hanger-on yet he has the audacity to run as a “conservative outsider” as though the voters were all a bunch of fools. As a conservative I want the Chairman to lose, and to lose badly as an example to others who may want to run for high office as a conservative that you better establish a record of conservative activism years before you throw your hat in the ring if you want to save yourself from spending a lot of money just to humiliate yourself. VOTE AGAINST THE CHAIRMAN – VOTE HAGERTY!

Ted Cruz is and Insider’s insider. Deep state past the neck.

• LeeAnn C. says:

TR – the only ones claiming Hagerty is an insider are those running against him. He has valuable experience as a businessman and ambassador to work with President Trump’s agenda. At least he is a bona fide Republican and after seeing the harmful Democrat agenda on display in DC and Virginia, I want someone I can count on. Dr. Set hi has not shown that to me.

I would rather have a Dr. (Flynn) in the Senate that has lived in the real world and under oppressive regulations, than a Hagerty that is and always has been Politician / ambassador

• LeeAnn C. says:

I’ve seen him speak at several events in the past two months. If you want to know where he’s speaking, you should indicate your interest to the campaign and pay attention to programs at Republican meetings and events (when they get to meet again).