Sethi: ‘Human lives will always be more important than dollars’

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi speaks at a campaign event in Clarksville on Feb. 4, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi is outlining his plan to for economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.

Sethi, a surgeon at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, said while it’s important to get Americans back to worth, “human lives will always be more important than dollars.”

“Our economy will not bounce back if portions of the workforce are seriously ill or do not survive,” he said.

Here’s the full release from the Sethi campaign:

NASHVILLE, Tenn – Conservative outsider and Republican candidate for Senate, Dr. Manny Sethi released his plan to get America back to work today. Dr. Manny, founder of a public health advocacy nonprofit in Tennessee, believes our country can get people back to work and protect the health of Americans at the same time, but it must be done in a thoughtful and deliberate way.

We saw unemployment numbers reach record numbers this morning. In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, much of the American economy has been shut down, hurting American workers, businesses, and families in a way we haven’t seen before.

This morning 3.28 million new claims were announced, which is already higher than any past economic crisis, including the 2008 market collapse and the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Previously, the highest number of jobless claims was 695,000 in 1982.

While economic revitalization is imperative, human lives will always be more important than dollars. On Thursday, Dr. Manny released the following statement and plan:

“Tennessee is still dealing with this issue, but at some point America cannot sustain a long, drawn-out shutdown. We must start working immediately on ways to get our citizens back to work and our economy moving. Our economy will not bounce back if portions of the workforce are seriously ill or do not survive. In the operating room, when things are moving fast, I’ve learned we have to slow down and think through the best way forward, instead of overreacting.

“I would recommend tackling this region by region, state by state, community  by community. This is not a one-size-fits-all solution for the whole country. Some communities and states will recover from this virus breakout sooner than others. As the threat lessens, these areas need to start lifting restrictive mandates and get their economy back to work.”

Dr. Manny’s proposal to get America back-to-work entails:

• Federal authorities should work with states to identify when it is safe for individual communities to start lifting mandates once the health threat decreases in their respective areas.
    U.S. health officials should also work with state governments to assess quarantine and containment strategies based on evolving evidence.
  • Companies should be encouraged to continue to utilize telecommuting as much as possible. This will slow the rate of return back to the public workplace. Tax credits and other incentives should be provided to incentivize companies to put the health and safety of employees first, without losing their business.
  • Utilize the Defense Production Act, if needed, to produce medical equipment such masks, gowns, and ventilators. Pass legislation that gives American companies incentives to produce such equipment in the United States.
  • Immediately begin to shift production of Chinese and foreign-made pharmaceuticals to the United States. This is a national security issue, and there is an immediate need for many important drugs to be produced here, and a need to immediately phase-in production of many others.
  • Continue to implement international travel bans and strongly caution Americans to avoid non-essential domestic travel until national health officials approve.

67 Responses to Sethi: ‘Human lives will always be more important than dollars’

Where are the Americans?
    Why are we letting the Federal (somewhat) and the State (very much) violate the very constitution that they took an oath to uphold?
    Freedom to assemble, it is in both the United States Constitution and in the Tennessee State Constitution.
    Never again !

• MARLE says:

Lee has shut down non-essentials. You can’t buy your toasters, clothing, or makeup at Macy’s, Kohls etc. BUT you can buy all of these items at Target, Costco and Walmart. Target reported comp sales UP 30%. Thank you, Gov Lee

WHY? The register knows by sku numbers what are and aren’t food and pharmacy items. And the store management knows who to cordon off sections of the store selling non-essential items. But they don’t have to, thanks to Government’s willingness to pick winners and losers in a crisis.

• Phil Lassiter says:

I’m afraid it will only way easier each tine from now on. Government is the big winner here

It is a part of the human psyche that given a choice, when the chips are down, people will always choose security over freedom and liberty that can only be preserved by a small constrained government. From the War Between the States, through World War I, The Great Depression, World War II, The Great Recession and now this Chinese Virus government always wins as its power grows and grows.

• MARLE says:

The Trump administration has closed entire industries down in the name of health safety. Whether they were right or wrong to do so is irrelevant. It has been done. No other virus that kills by the 10’s of thousands has brought such a reaction.

The government is now offering loans to the public companies their policies, not the virus, have wrecked PROVIDED these companies make the government a business partner. Government already “owns” business by the ability to Regulate and TAX and now by loans provisions to fix the problem government created. Swell !

• Nancy Perkins says:

Your premise is backwards. Americans have fought like no other people in the world since the beginning. We’ve sacrificed since day one for our freedom and for other countr. Where do you come up with these things. Do you live in backwards land?

That sacrifice FOR freedom comes at a time when it is challenged by foreign countries. That sacrifice OF freedom to our own government comes at a time of uncertainty and challenges to our security. No Nancy, I live in present land with a rich knowledge and appreciation of the the past and the implications that past has for our future.

• LeeAnn C. says:

So brilliant! /sarcasm off/ Captain Obvious is at it again. Did he mention that he’s a doctor again? What is his public health organization doing now? No mention of any helpful activity while he projects that he has ALL the answers. This from the self-branded ” conservative outsider” that contributed to Bob Corker and ACT BLUE. How about publishing a public health advisory and let individuals and businesses decide for themselves?

His scanty record of being nothing more than a Republican establishment hanger-on makes Chairman Manny’s candidacy an embarrassment that hopefully will be a lesson to narcissistic plutocrats who might be tempted to run for high office too.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Contributing to ACT BLUE to flip a VA house seat from red to blue is worse than ‘establishment’.

• Nancy Perkins says:

Lee Ann, I suspect you’re also a supporter of another candidate.

• Nancy Perkins says:

where do you get your info? Act Blue wasn’t part of the flip and Dr. Manny didn’t contribute. You just make them up as you go along. Stop!

• LeeAnn C. says:

No, Nancy. I looked up the FEC records for individual contributions. In 2008, Dr. Sethi contributed to ACT BLUE and showed his occupation to be a resident. Further, the donation was specified to support Tom Perriello (D). “Perriello narrowly defeated six-term Republican incumbent Virgil H. Goode Jr. by 727 votes out of over 317,000 cast.” I go as directly as possible to the source when I hear something. I’ve met Dr. Sethi and liked him as a person. Since I found this out, I’m getting weary of the proclamation of being a ‘conservative’. Don’t accuse me of making things up when you haven’t bothered to look it up yourself. If I can do it, anyone can. You’ll also note that Dr. Sethi didn’t contribute to President Trump in 2016. He also hasn’t contributed to any candidate that was running against Bob Corker or Lamar Alexander. Wouldn’t you expect a ‘Washington outsider’ to occasionally contribute to someone running against the status quo? I think he’s mindlessly repeating statements that he’s told will work with Conservatives. Unfortunately, Conservatives do homework!

At least you do LeeAnn. BRAVO to you and thank you,

• MARLE says:

Is that the same Virgil Goode who was first elected to Congress as a Democrat.

Then ran for a second term as an Independent?

Then switched on the third go-around to Republican? The candidate Sethi contributed to 12 years ago DID defeat Goode who seems to have had some trouble with party affiliation.

A lot of people on here seem more than willing to forgive a lot of misguided behavior by people In office and Seeking office. But this contribution, 12 yrs ago by a 30 year old, is a bridge too far.

Not to me MARLE. By the age of 30 The Chairman had graduated Magma Cum Laude from Brown and from Harvard Medical School. My political philosophy was pretty much solidly formed somewhere half-way through high school. The Chairman is a man of science, so give him a few years slack but by the age of 30 he certainly should have formulated his political philosophy.

The 2008 race was a hot one in which $3.7 million was spent by liberals in what turned out to be a successful attempt to unseat a tepid conservative Republican by 727 votes out of the over 316,893 cast. The Chairman sided with the liberals which simply shows he certainly was no conservative then, and there is ABSOLUTELY no evidence from his anemic political record that he is a conservative now. Unfortunately, the election of Gov. Lee has no doubt given the thought to any number of narcissistic plutocrats of few political opinions and little or no political record that they can just wake up one day, plunk down $1 or $2 million and hire a political gun to throw some conservative red meat around the Republican electorate and presto! high office can be theirs. Let this be the election that we conservatives show “It ain’t necessarily so.” Defeat Chairman Manny by voting for Hagerty!

• MARLE says:

Casada and a crowd of TN politicians, way older than 30, have done things apparently easy to ignore. Trump has given money to Dems all the time and yet Heritage-rubber-stamped, Rep lap dogs continue to support him. Maybe his Congressman did a super kind deed for one of Manny’s cousins twice removed and he wanted, at 30, to support a Dem like Trump frequently did.

• MARLE says:

And btw, I am not a supporter of Sethi. If he thinks that ad with his mother was a good idea then his judgment is suspect. But that is only one among many reasons I don’t support him.

• MARLE says:

And while Manny contributed to a Dem at age 30, Goode was seeking and winning office at age 32 AS A Democrat and I am sure he was supporting other Dems. And for the next several years was either a Dem or an Independent. And Tump for sure at age 30, and for decades well beyond, was supporting Dems.

Everyone seems to be focused on Party and not Person. One of the MOST Conservative and Constitutional Congressman in the last 50 years has been a Democrat. Congressman Larry McDonald of Georgia. (killed by communist Russia in flight KAL 007, Sept. 1, 1983)

• MARLE says:

Well Eddie my response what to Stuart who seemed focused on AGE and how politically savvy one should be by age 30 (or mid way through high school). So, to be fair, when you object to someone Donating to Dems at age 30 (as was Manny) but you admire BEING a Dem at 30 (as WAS Goode) then that is a bit illogical.

In addition Goode had undoubtedly contributed to many Dems early in his career. Yet most here didn’t hold that against him in his 2008 run.Just wishing for consistency and logic.

Pick the points on which to oppose him but try to keep them sensible. And IMO opposing him for contributing a small about 12 years ago at age 30 isn’t one of them.

• MARLE says:

Sorry Eddie…comment directed to James…. so far downstream in reply column.

Marle, I do not oppose Manny for helping democrats.
            His www page doesn’t list many issues or positions. It does say he wants to ‘repeal and replace’ Obama care. I think he is wrong on that stance, it does need repealed but Not replaced.
            If he would express a detailed stance on at least a dozen issues, I am sure I would only agree with 2 or 3 at most.
            My opinion of Manny has not changed, he is not a constitutionalist and a doubtful conservative; but then, that is my opinion of Hagerty also.

Just to make it crystal clear, I oppose The Chairman because he thinks he can just show up, mouth soothing sonnets agreeable to the conservative ear and be elected to the U. S. Senate on conservative votes. I want Dr. “Conservative-Outsider” beaten badly as an example to other narcissistic plutocrats with anemic political records what happens when you play conservatives for fools. Chairman Manny’s vote “. . .12 years ago at age 30. . . .” is just sort of icing on the cake, a confection whose sweetness shows the ambivalence of a sweet Establishment/Country Club Republican (see what I did there?) – VOTE HAGERTY!

• MARLE says:

A lot was made of the contribution to Act Blue; and The ” BRAVO ” you delivered was for Uncovering the Sethi contribution to Act Blue and specifically to Goode’s opponents race.

All of my comments had to do with that.and not about Manny’s current bona fides. And not Goode’s Eventual conservative bona fides.

• MARLE says:

That’s right, James . The issues with Sethi’s candidacy have virtually nothing to do with contributions to ActBlue or Goode 12 years ago when he was 30.

So why was there a big deal about that contribution and the age at which he made it???? High fives and bravos all around and I don’t get it.

Dr Flinn is a conservative with a voting record. We should support him for US Senate. Hagerty and Manny have not voting record. STUART

• Nancy Perkins says:

Ahhhh. Now we see why you’re so ready to toss Dr. Manny overboard. Sorry, he has tens of thousands ready with life jackets. He won’t need them, however, he’s a born survivor. Good luck with your candidate. He’ll need it.

• Nancy Perkins says:

Where do you get your information? Corker started out great then slowly sunk into being a RINO who supports Hagerty now. I supported Corker and participated in his Son-phone debates. He was great but later my admiration sunk as he drifted. ActBlue is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering small-dollar donors. We make it easy for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and enable thousands of Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits to build people-powered movements with our powerful online fundraising tools. I doubt seriously if Dr. Manny contributed. He’s a lifetime Conservative. Show me the money!

I looked it up. It appears to be so. Contributed $50 to ActBlue in 2008 under name Manish Sethi while a medical resident in Massachusetts. After that, donations listed go to Republicans, including a thousand dollars to Rick Perry in 2011. Sethi donated to Bob Corker and to Grant Starrett, whom I worked against.

I should mention that the Virginia incumbent whom Sethi donated to defeat in 2008, and who was defeated, was Virgil Goode, one of our strongest congressional allies for immigration enforcement and control of both illegal and legal immigration numbers.

And Virgil Goode ran under the Constitutional Party for President. I voted for him then.

Demographics had changed in Virginia because of immigration, and Virgil Goode was targeted because of his opposition to open-borders efforts. This bears mentioning because Sethi’s donation was specifically earmarked for Goode’s liberal opponent, who won.

As Sethi moved into his own medical practice, his donations began going to Republicans. This is common. Many doctors support Republicans. Not all do, of course. The doctors I know personally as friends, relatives, and neighbors are all conservative, so it isn’t a surprise to me that Sethi became more so. I worked to get three doctors elected to Congress, and immigration control was/has been a top priority for all three. One was Phil Gingrey in Georgia. He carried bills for us.

I went back ten years looking at Sethi and missed the ActBlue donation brought to our attention here. It is from 2008 but worth remembering, yet more recent actions are probably more significant. I’m watching Sethi, but it would take real certainty before I vote for any Republicans going forward. Sethi isn’t talking about reducing legal immigration and imported-worker numbers, two of the top priorities for immigration controllers.

It’s still early, if The Chairman gets desperate enough he may very well begin “. . .talking about reducing legal immigration and imported-worker numbers. . . .” the gold standard, elimination of foreign aid, turning the United Nations building into condos or anything else that will differentiate himself from, and place him to the right of, Hagerty . IT DOESN’T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE. This is the campaign after all which is about the worst place to learn anything about the candidates running for office. The Chairman of the 2016 Statemen’s Dinner has not said anything to alienate the cheap labor crowd because his record shows whatever political sympathies he has is with the cheap labor crowd. Hagerty on the other hand is the Crown Prince of the cheap labor crowd.

Not much to choose from here. On the other hand, have I told you about the race taking place over in Tennessee’s First District Congressional District?

• CollegeGrover says:

It is amazing some of the responses on here so many times. Sounds like a bunch of keyboard warriors that have never been in a successful political campaign in their life. Or elected to ANY office.

Still waiting for the their perfect candidate.

Any fool or jackass can tear down a barn.
    It takes a skilled craftsman to build one.

You’ve got me all wrong CG. Whatever his imperfections I see a beautiful barn being built over in the First District where Rep. Timothy Hill (ACU-88%) is seeking to take the place of retiring Phil Roe (Heritage-70%) and while I live hundreds of miles away, given the present array of candidates, I look forward to making a substantial contribution to Tim’s campaign.

• Nancy Perkins says:

Lee Ann, I suspect you’re also a supporter of another candidate.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Sethi needs to comb his hair, but he is correct in that no amount of money is worth a single human life EVER

• No further comment needed.
    BushForSenate.com
    “IT MATTERS…”

• Paul says:

Good comment CollegeGrover. I’d probably be more likely to vote for Dr. Sethi than any of these other cardboard cutout Republicans, but whatever. Only the purest of the pure will do for some folks. It’s pretty amusing to read all this constant jabbering about “wet” or “dry” or whatever flavor of Republican is acceptable to the Cognoscenti. One thing we’ve certainly seen in this pandemic is that some conservatives definitely value a dollar over a human life. Good thing that’s been smoked out. I credit Dr. Sethi for standing up in this regard.

As far as where everyone is, I humbly suggest that maybe they are trying to stay alive, given the continued growth rate of the Trump pandemic. If you want to lead the “freedom to assemble” revolution, have at it and march down to the state plaza with fists raised and fire up the locals and we’ll watch on the evening news. Why ask someone else to lead the revolution of Americans if you won’t do it yourself? Meanwhile, the rest of us will hope that our governor pushes harder to get medical professionals and small businesses the help they need during the Trump pandemic in this country.

Before I get the “where did you go to school” treatment that obfuscates the situation via conservative finger pointing via tagging something with a name (in this case the virus), I use that phrase because he’s allowed it to grow uncontrolled in this country, all the while deflecting, stumbling, and playing around on Twitter. He is the chief executive of this country and he acts like a bumbling county dog catcher. Did he create the virus? Certainly not. Does he own leadership for what happens in this country? Absolutely. In this country, it’s now the Trump pandemic and we are seeing what that means. More deaths and sickness.

Trump on leadership in 2013, when finger pointing was easy: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible”. Trump now: I take no responsibility.

What a surprise. Good luck to us all.

• MARLE says:

“some conservatives definitely value a dollar over a human life.” The economy can never again be reopened until that happens as it has happened in America since Day 1 and around the world for all of mankind.

• LeeAnn C. says:

I have no problem supporting Hagerty. He is a bone fide Republican that has assisted and served in the Trump administration since the 2016 primary. I’ve met him and believe he will serve Tennessee very well. I thought Dr. Sethi could too until I saw his political contributions. I will NEVER support anyone that made contributions to ACT BLUE!

Nor should you!!! My motive for shunning Chairman Manny’s candidacy has a certain subtlety attached to it while this ACT BLUE contribution will be the kiss of death to this Dr. “Conservative Outsider” business for sure. Right now Hagerty is saying little about the Chairman at all since I feel certain that polling has shown that Hagerty is comfortably ahead. In the unlikely event that the Chairman seriously challenges Hagerty will hopefully unleash the ACT BLUE artillery and that will be that.

For independents, we are a mix of views, so I would look at a candidate on an issue-by-issue basis, but I agree that financial contributions bear a hard look. Hagerty’s support for certain candidates gives me pause as well–big pause.

I rarely donate money to candidates. I’ve given my money to immigration control orgs.

As well you should, but at the end of the day it’s candidates who turn into officeholders and it’s officeholders who make the laws, and it’s the laws that control immigration into this country. A Republican Party with conservative officeholders skeptical of immigration rather than Chamber of Commerce/cheap labor shills will be the only chance we have to greatly reduce immigration into this country. To that end please think about a donation to Timothy Hill’s campaign over in the First District.

One of the orgs I help is the main lobbyist in Washington for immigration enforcement and control. I help individual candidates in other ways. I’m disgusted with most Republicans right now but satisfied for now with my congressman, Scott DesJarlais. Everything is relative.

Should mention that Sethi has donated to the Republican Party for a number of years. I haven’t seen an ActBlue donation. Link?

• Nancy Perkins says:

Dr. Manny is more than s serious contender, he beat Hagerty in a published straw poll in Memphis. He’s going to join Marsha and it’s going to be
        “Manny and Marsha”…Tennessee Senators!

There’s very little chance of that. Not with Hagerty’s support from the Trumpidians and important parts of the Republican establishment combined with Hagerty’s personal wealth and Chairman Manny’s anemic political record.

You seem to be a fine conservative. Why don’t you do something far more useful and apply your zeal to Timothy Hill’s candidacy in the First District. Unlike Chairman Manny, Timothy has a long record in the General Assembly of being a conservative stalwart and he is running a race that is very winnable.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Ha! Marsha’s not going to endorse Dr. Sethi. She’s smart and busy doing her job. Hagerty has been a strong supporter of her since her congressional days. Dr. Sethi apparently woke up in 2018 and decided he best try to make a showing of supporting Republican candidates. He’s late and has ZERO backing for being a Conservative other than his own statements.

This is not meant as a comment on Sethi, but moving our drug manufacturing not only to China but to India, for one, has brought noticeable declines in quality–as well as safety concerns.

• Nancy Perkins says:

Clinton and Obama opened the doors for the drug companies to do that and , of course, to save on labor costs they did it. President Trump inherited the situation and now he made some legislative changes and I believe more will come.We must get our manufacturing back here.

• Eddie White says:

President Trump and the Republicans have made this nation energy independent. I think you will now see the president move the US to be more self-producing in many areas including pharmaceuticals.

That would be a great thing to come out of this.

• MARLE says:

I agree Eddie. The rest of the world should trade with each other if they want to risk it but we should only manufacture and trade within our borders. Bet our farmers would love that. EAT UP, America

• Pingback: Friday, March 27

• Phil Lassiter says:

***YAWN***

Good morning Phil, glad you’re up though it is a little late. I guess you’re one of those “nightpeople” we hear about. Have you met Nancy Perkins? She spends the wee small hours of the morning defending/singing the praises of Chairman Manny (can you believe). As they say, “it takes all types. . . .”

Trump and his aspirational Easter ~ May 1

MARLE. bless your heart, still paying attention to what Trump says and then taking him literally to boot. HE IS A “BEAUTIFUL” “FANTASTIC” “INCREDIBLE” NEW YORK BLOWHARD for whom we are going to have to end up voting. It ain’t pretty. In fact, it’s somewhat annoying but it is what it is I’m afraid.

BTW, isn’t it “INCREDIBLE” that no one has ever called his attention to the fact that to speak about the most mundane thing in superlatives calls into question everything you say, your judgement, and simply gets tiresome in no time at all. It’s so difficult to listen to the man. If it were not for the fact that he causes liberals such derangement I wouldn’t ever bother.

• MARLE says:

Yes, Stuart, paying attention to The President. Kind of like to be able to do that without gagging. However does Marsha look at him with those adoring gazes?

So governors and mayors will continue to close down Macy’s (stock price sinking now to $5.53 from $17 in feb), Kohl’s, etc while allowing Costco, Walmart and Target to remain open AND sell non-essential items allowing them to post rocketing YOY comp sales growth. Gov picking winners and losers.

Trump is still waiting I guess for , as he forecasts, “warm weather to kill the virus”. Warm weather doesn’t kill the common flu (it comes back yearly killing 10’s of thousands). Why does he daily say such provably stupid things that invite a media swarm.

Let me guess, he says provably stupid things because HE IS A NEW YORK BLOWHARD with a what I call a “salesman’s personality” overlay. Just as a salesman of used cars has a job to sell the damned car no matter its obvious defects so he will say favorable things about the car you are looking at, Trump’s job is to sell his re-election which he has up to now based on the swell economy we had been experiencing. Now along comes the Chinese virus and his swell economy is sabotaged. Trump’s mind is focused on getting the economy back to where it was as quickly as possible so he is grasping at every straw he can to bring it about. Somewhere someone speculated that fewer people come down with the virus caused flu in the summer so why shouldn’t that be true of the Chinese virus too? Fewer people coming down with the virus that is a perfect excuse to open the economy again and things start to improve just in time for the election and we have four more years of Trump.

Trump’s “job” is not to impart scientific fact. For that he has Drs. Fauci and Birx. Trump’s job, like the job of another salesman Oscar Schindler when in the movie he was asked by a Jewish concentration camp inmate what his job was in the factory Schindler smiled and responded “Presentation,” so it is with Trump.

• MARLE says:

Grasping at straws isn’t what a President does and esp not riffing at the microphone going around the world. His job certainly isn’t to provide scientific facts…so just don’t try esp if you are incapable. Fauci and Birx in the early going were beyond horrible as they laid out data from models that were just a tad less than worse case scenarios . Sowing panic should not have been their jobs

Most recently Birx, in her attempt to scare young people straight and off the beaches, started talking about young people dying in increasing numbers. She ADDED Zero additional facts: the actual numbers or like were they drug users, Vapers, malnourished, couch crashers or young people with Hepatitis, Aids, cancer. That is professional malpractice.

On March 25, 2020, by a vote 96 to 0, the U.S. Senate unanimously passed a bipartisan$2.2 trillion stimulus bill, the largest ever in the nation’s history, known as the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, or CARES Act. The $2.2 trillion Senate bill is part of an overall $6 trillion stimulus package.