Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi says in a new Facebook post that unnamed persons “at the highest levels of Tennessee and DC politics” sought to dissuade and even attempt to “scare” him out of running for Tennessee’s open seat.

The Nashville trauma surgeon, who ignored them and announced on June 2 his bid to succeed retiring Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander, specifically cites the National Republican Senatorial Committee as among them.

“I’ll never forget it — I was at my son’s 6th birthday party when I started getting texts and phone calls from people at the highest levels of Tennessee and DC politics,” Sethi writes in the post. “They were trying to talk me out of running — telling me I had no right to even run, that I would never raise any significant money, that I was wrong to even think of getting in the race.

“Even Mitch McConnell’s National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) in Washington DC called, which was weird, considering they’re ‘neutral’ in GOP primaries. It was like this all weekend: every few hours, someone trying to persuade me or scare me out of announcing.

After formally entering the race, Sethi said, “things quieted down some — until this last week. Our team announced last Wednesday that we had put over $1.5 million dollars in the bank. A great start.”

Sethi begins the post saying, “what I’m about to say might make some folks uncomfortable, but Tennesseans have a right to hear it. Part of why the GOP Establishment is powerful is because regular people don’t know how they really operate. I think Tennesseans should know what happens behind closed doors then make their own decisions.”

Sethi so far is the only major announced candidate, but U.S. Ambassador to Japan Bill Hagerty plans to announce after he officially leaves his post, which he hopes to do by the end of July.

Hagerty’s candidacy was announced earlier this month by his boss, President Donald Trump who also endorsed him and said he would do all he can to help him.

In the post, Sethi also describes his parents’ impoverished background in India where he said they “lost their homes because of sectarian violence. Despite this, they both went on to become doctors” and legally emigrated to America.

29 Responses to Sethi charges GOP establishment in Tennessee, DC sought to ‘scare’ him off of Senate race

They did the same thing to Dr. Rolando Toyos in Memphis when he announced a run against Marsha. Scott Golden disqualified him.

• Tim Skow says:

Mr. White please get your ”error-prone comments” correct. I know Dr. Toyos as a fine man and was there when the State Executive Committee VOTED in a roll call vote that he didn’t meet the previous voting standards required to be on a Republican ballot. In short, Chairman Golden did NOT ”disqualify” Dr. Toyos. PLEASE… know what you’re talking about before you attempt to disc someone as notable as Chairman Golden.

• Benton Temple says:

Ha. Scott Golden? Notable? Fundraising at the TRP is down overall since he took over.

Well he pushed the committee to vote that way so he didn’t have to do it. He has the sole power to do it. (wonder how that happened?) And remember, he worked for Marsha here in west Tennessee, then when they redistricted US out, and Fincher became the Congressman, Scott worked for him and got from there to the power he has now to ensure Marsha’s run for senate. These Deep States plan far ahead.

• Teddy says:

Game on!

• TR says:

For someone who ran on “draining the swamp” it’s interesting that President Trump seems to always back the white establishment politicians over true insurgent candidates. Trump endorsed Marsha Blackburn and the TNGOP disqualified her primary opponent Rolando Toyos. Trump endorsed Bill Hagerty before he even announced and now Manni Sethi is getting pressure from the party to drop out of the race. Both Toyos and Sethi are first generation Americans and political outsiders. Exactly the types of candidates the GOP should be recruiting. Exactly the kinds of candidates that someone who wants to “drain the swamp” would be promoting (rather than leading “send them back”) chants at a rally). I’d consider supporting Sethi if I thought he’d actually govern as a conservative outsider, but in reality he’d just be another check in the box for Trump, even though the president clearly despises him and those like him.

• LeeAnn C. says:

As soon as anyone says ‘I’m going to share with you what goes on behind closed doors’, I roll my eyes. Win support by sticking to what you bring to the office. People aren’t as ignorant as implied by the ‘you just don’t know’ accusations. What I don’t know is how Dr. Manny will be effective as a senator. I know nothing about him and this is not winning me over.

Good for you LeeAnn and TR as well. A No Record Candidate with a lot of money and an overabundance of self-esteem like Sethi and to a certain degree Hegarty does not deserve support from ANYONE. The audacity of these plutocrats makes me sick. Only a governorship or a seat in the U. S. Senate will do, nothing less that would enable us to see how they vote rather than how their campaign staff writes scripts based on expensive polling.

• MARLE says:

So…they make YOU sick but not your BFF Marsha. When is she going to have the same sense of outrage? Or you don’t expect her to find this whole situation problematic.

I learned when Marsha made a deal with the devil and became one of the last deciding votes that gave us Medicare prescription drug coverage a few months after she initially took her seat in the House that I’m more conservative than Marsha and I can like it or lump it but that’s the way it’s going to be. She apparently has decided that there is no one running for the other Senate seat that she is all that anxious to support while bucking The Great and The Good in the Republican Party to offer that support so hopefully Hagerty is conservative enough to get her to write a few letters, etc. and get an “atta girl” from the establishment.

Hagerty’s anemic political record has him in the administration of “Lips” Bush, a big money fundraiser for “Mittens” Romney, and a member of the Haslam administration. A country club Republican out of central casting if there ever was one. Surely we can do better than that for a U. S. Senate seat I would hope. Then again, as I said, I’m more conservative than Marsha.

So am I (“more conservative than Marsha”). Way more.

This Senate race so far is like when you look over your high school class and see no particular reason to date.

Not pertinent to this race, but Baker v. Carr in the news lately in relation to gerrymandering reminded me that my husband wrote his master’s thesis on Baker v. Carr at the University of Tennessee. His thesis ended up being checked out a lot, he said — this was way before the Internet as it is today. I’ve seen him and his thesis cited in some books and other publications over the years and have thought, what a small world.

• David O Jones says:

The same thing happened in 1982 when the National Republican Senatorial Committee attempted to buy off two of the three challengers to then Rep. Al Gore Jr as he ran for the U.S. Senate. The NRSC financially backed the weakest of the thee candidates against Gore. The Swamp has existed in Republican Party politics for a loooong time.

• Silence Dogood says:

No voting record. No history. Huge negatives with me. How much of the $1.5 million is his own money? And trashing the Republican Party at the start, though I identify with Conservatives, does not persuade me Dr. Sethi.

• Misty Pardner says:

Manny has a lot learn. If Trump endorses someone in this state any other opponent is done. And then go on and trash the Senate majority leader as well as the NSRC. Good luck raising money now Doc.

• Karen S. says:

You can contact Dr. Manny at info@drmannyforsenate.com. The best way to get to know someone is to talk to them.

Talk is cheap Karen. Manny already has a big buck campaign staff who are doing polling that allows them to tell him what to say. It’s a voting record in public office, and/or a record of numerous contributions to conservative Republican candidates running in Republican primaries and/or a record of outspoken advocacy of conservative causes over the years that we want to see before we send someone to the U. S. Senate. Manny has no record and Hegarty has a scanty record – surely the best is yet to come.

Hang in there Manny and split that “wet” vote between yourself and Hegarty and hopefully a few other No Record/centrist/tepid conservative candidates. Now if we can only find ONE solid conservative candidate to oppose them. Come on guys, U. S. Senate seats don’t open up everyday so let’s not miss this opportunity to send another solid conservative to the Senate to join Marsha.

Stuart/Scott ain’t gonna let that happen, no Conservatives are allowed… NeoCon’s only.

• Perry Aubric says:

Who put you two outlier clowns in charge of deciding who is and isn’t a real conservative? Bless your hearts, Stuart and James. You actually think your comments on this site make you influencers.

Perry perhaps it would be a better use of your time if you found something else to do other than draw conclusions as to what people you have never spoken to or even met are thinking. Not that I really mind you understand, and it is your privilege to do so, but it simply makes you seem so foolish.

Perry, I don’t decide I look to the Constitution and then the votes or statements made. I want a Constitutionalist as my representatives, conservative/liberal are terms that change with the times and are not well defined.

• MARLE says:

I am still wondering why you admire Marsha for her silence as Trump tries to coronate a non-conservative, no-record candidate. Not exactly a profile in courage. Apparently you have zero influence with her or she sees Hegarty as an appropriate Conservative voice for TN.

• While I am disappointed that Tennesseans haven’t bothered to get to know me, a proven candidate on the primary ballot 2018 and running a second time, and the other two candidates, Clyde Benson and Stokes, this kind of crap is commonplace and disgraceful behavior. Party corruption is one of the reasons I am trying again and will fight at every turn. I do not know Dr. Sethi personally but he has every right to run!- Aaron Pettigrew, Republican candidate for the same seat. AARONPETTIGREWFORTENNESSEE.COM

• Pingback: Friday, July 19

• Phil Lassiter says:

Waaaa! Waaaaa! Reality sucks but don’t cry about it. Dr, you can’t beat establishment Sorry. I know you’re a good man. Please don’t let the campaign keep you from saving a life that needs you in the OR

• Pingback: Morning Digest: Paperwork error forces Virginia GOP delegate off of ballot. No one knows what's next – Headlines

• Pingback: Morning Digest: Paperwork error forces Virginia GOP delegate off of ballot. No one knows what's next ⋆ 10z US politics